1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 15th Mini-Mapping Contest came to an end. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 are soon to be revealed! Come and vote in the public poll for your favorite maps.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 12th incarnation of the Music Contest is LIVE! The theme is Synthwave. Knight Rider needs a song to listen to on his journey. You should definitely have some fun with this theme!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Metastasis

Submitted by FelFox
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Metastasis
In a research sector of the United Security Initiative known only as 198X2, a group of scientists and station personnel are assaulted by an unknown threat. As their colleagues die one by one, they must fight to survive and figure out who is doing this to them, and how to stop it.

The Game
Metastasis is best described as a survival game. At the start, one or several players will be secretly selected as your opponents. You will be placed within a space station in the sector 198X2 and must figure out who is the enemy, and kill him before he kills you and your fellow humans.

Depending on the number of players in the game, there will be one or several enemies.
1-4 players: A lone enemy, who will either be a former researcher mutating rapidly into a cunning adversary, or an alien organism killing off station workers for unknown reasons.
5-9 players: Both the mutant and the alien work to kill your team as well as each other. Only one side can stand victorious.
10-12 players: The mutant and the alien are once again your adversaries, but rumors abound of a cold, metallic killer waiting to rise and annihilate every living thing in the sector.

Humans
To aid you in your fight, you have a myriad of station resources and your own education to assist you.
Being a research group in a theoretically dangerous sector, stations are equipped with state of the art military supplies, including many types of combat suits of varying abilities. You have been trained to use these suits, albeit only against the organisms on the local planet. No doubt you can adapt them to perform other, more murderous tasks. There is also an assortment of defensive and offensive weaponry, from stationary turrets and force shield generators to grenades and mighty fusion bombs.
You also carry your life experience and career with you. There are nine possible careers assigned to you at the beginning of the game, from researchers with various doctorates to a visiting captain of the battlecruiser Swagger to the lowly local janitor. Each career provides a unique benefit and alters your initial equipment and monetary income.

Enemies
The mutant and alien both have strong physical capabilities. Each is capable of overpowering an unequipped human easily. However, they are alone, and hate each other as much as they hate humans. The mutant and the alien both sport an ever changing genetic code- within the span of mere hours they can change their physical and mental makeup drastically. As the game goes on, each will slowly evolve into more powerful forms. Eliminating them early will prevent them from overpowering you with massive strength, dominant mental abilities, or swarms of minion-like organisms.

Infection
The mutant has the ability to evolve a infectious called a prion. By weakening the human body, the prion eventually forces a genetic change in the host, altering it to serve the original mutant and take its form.
The alien also has a similar parasitic microorganism it launches into humans, slowly weakening them and eventually eating them away. By doing so, the parasite grows into a facsimile of the original alien, while retaining traces of the infectee's personality, though twisted into serving the alien leader.

Stations
Featured in the sector are four space stations and a planet situated around a single star. Each station has unique capabilities and can be visited at any time by using one of several types of spaceships or escape pods. The largest station is the U.S.I. Queen Niffy, which boasts a large infrastructure and fleet of spaceships, as well as many curious research labs dedicated to the sector. Other stations include the Arbitress, an advanced sensors station, the Kyo Station, which is a container for the experimental Kyo Cannon spatial artillery platform, an old unused station now scheduled for demolition. These are all situated around the orbit of the local planet Minertha, a terraformed but as yet uncolonized planet. A small military station was set up some time ago, but no one currently occupies it.
A battlecruiser from the U.S.I. fleet is also currently visiting the sector.

Credits
An extensive list of credits for the artwork featured in the game can be found within the F9 menu of the game. Special thanks needs to be given to to Clan Sirs, Catar, DarkLink_Rper, EnragedBullfrog, OmeedESF, Mooglefrooglian, mrzwach, lorg, Aenir, Scruffymurphy, Jarkill, InfernoInfernal, and especially Kodua.

UPDATE (1.8.2):
-See changelog at http://thegoodsirs.net
I don't even anymore

Keywords:
parasite, who'sthealien, mystery, alien, mutant, space
Contents

Metastasis (Map)

Reviews
00:56, 30th Jul 2009 Linaze: Lacks a proper description.
  1. 00:56, 30th Jul 2009
    Linaze: Lacks a proper description.

2. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Made of epic win.

3. Spiritman0

Spiritman0

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can't download this...

4. Mr.Wafflez

Mr.Wafflez

Resources:
    Resources:
    403-Forbidden.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  5. R.e.A.p.E.r-XxX

R.e.A.p.E.r-XxX

Resources:
    Resources:
    403 forbidden fix it it hapened to me too!

6. Angry_Bovine

Angry_Bovine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Everyone has 403 forbidden errors right now, for every resource. Stop posting on this poor guy's map about it, it's a hive workshop problem.

7. Catar

Catar

Resources:
    Resources:
    On topic, I think this is an excellent, mostly bugless map. 5/5, Mr. Fel.

8. Spiritman0

Spiritman0

Resources:
    Resources:
    I got to play this with a kind host and I think it's brilliant! It's a FRESH take on the "parasite" genre. I wouldn't say this is a Parasite-clone, rather it has taken the "parasite" genre to a whole another level! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT to any Parasite fans.

9. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    If I am allowed to give a link while the Hive won't let anyone download, I humbly submit:

Edit: Hive dl's fixed.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  10. RushSecond

RushSecond

Resources:
    Resources:
    The only real good things it that there's a lot of exploration, the "board explorer ship" feature is awesome, and the terrain, doodads, and unit skins look spectacular. But the good things end there.

The rest suffers the same glaring problems as Parasite 2. It's too spaced out, making it incredibly difficult to find other players. There's still almost no pressure on the alien to do anything, so there's a high likelihood that everyone will just move from station randomly without being able to fight at all. An hour long game of that (or a tking fest) is unacceptable. Also, you can still teleport dance by going off and on explorer ships, and when I tried to evolve, one of the buttons was blank and didn't do anything.

All in all, 2/5, sure some things can be fixed but the general premise is still too boring, and great skins and terrains don't make a good game by themselves. I definitely won't be playing it anytime soon.

11. FelFox

FelFox

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @RushSecond: I'm sorry you feel that way.
    @moogle: Thanks for the help moogle. The link that he gave has been updated to 1.0.1, which removes some stupid testing units.

12. Latecat

Latecat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im going to try this and then rate it.

13. Bucketboy

Bucketboy

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is a realy nice map, i liked it but the map is still empty i know, its the first version of it, i think its good for RP in it and i cant wait for next version.

14. lief1

lief1

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    when i tried to DL this i got a 404, and was rick rolled...

15. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Couple things on here:

The blank button? Intentional. Havent you ever been annoyed when you push a button in WC3 and the dialog auto chooses the top thing? In this case, it is to prevent that. Perhaps Fel could rename it to "-Does Nothing-".

Teleport dance on ships? Not anywhere near as bad as P2. You can actually *gasp* launch the ship and no more dancing occurs.Not to mention bombs being much more avialable.

16. FelFox

FelFox

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Minor update: Fixed some bugs, compressed planet/niffy.
    Hopefully map is downloadable now?

17. Latecat

Latecat

Resources:
    Resources:
    I must admit that i like it, but like some people already said, its pretty much too empty. Put something so people would find people more easily other than radars.
    Other than that, i tried it as the alien and i didnt seem to be able to evolve, is this a bug or is the evolving just not made yet?

18. DLRP

DLRP

Resources:
    Resources:
    Steps have been made to remove the empty space, a few paths between parts of the Niffy were removed and the planet was made smaller to make it easier to find people.

The alien should work, in our games he was able to evolve, but you'd really have to ask Fel about it because I'm never the alien.

19. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This map is EPIC!
    Dude, 5/5 and +rep for you.