• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metastasis

Metastasis
In a research sector of the United Security Initiative known only as 198X2, a group of scientists and station personnel are assaulted by an unknown threat. As their colleagues die one by one, they must fight to survive and figure out who is doing this to them, and how to stop it.

The Game
Metastasis is best described as a survival game. At the start, one or several players will be secretly selected as your opponents. You will be placed within a space station in the sector 198X2 and must figure out who is the enemy, and kill him before he kills you and your fellow humans.

Depending on the number of players in the game, there will be one or several enemies.
1-4 players: A lone enemy, who will either be a former researcher mutating rapidly into a cunning adversary, or an alien organism killing off station workers for unknown reasons.
5-9 players: Both the mutant and the alien work to kill your team as well as each other. Only one side can stand victorious.
10-12 players: The mutant and the alien are once again your adversaries, but rumors abound of a cold, metallic killer waiting to rise and annihilate every living thing in the sector.

Humans
To aid you in your fight, you have a myriad of station resources and your own education to assist you.
Being a research group in a theoretically dangerous sector, stations are equipped with state of the art military supplies, including many types of combat suits of varying abilities. You have been trained to use these suits, albeit only against the organisms on the local planet. No doubt you can adapt them to perform other, more murderous tasks. There is also an assortment of defensive and offensive weaponry, from stationary turrets and force shield generators to grenades and mighty fusion bombs.
You also carry your life experience and career with you. There are nine possible careers assigned to you at the beginning of the game, from researchers with various doctorates to a visiting captain of the battlecruiser Swagger to the lowly local janitor. Each career provides a unique benefit and alters your initial equipment and monetary income.

Enemies
The mutant and alien both have strong physical capabilities. Each is capable of overpowering an unequipped human easily. However, they are alone, and hate each other as much as they hate humans. The mutant and the alien both sport an ever changing genetic code- within the span of mere hours they can change their physical and mental makeup drastically. As the game goes on, each will slowly evolve into more powerful forms. Eliminating them early will prevent them from overpowering you with massive strength, dominant mental abilities, or swarms of minion-like organisms.

Infection
The mutant has the ability to evolve a infectious called a prion. By weakening the human body, the prion eventually forces a genetic change in the host, altering it to serve the original mutant and take its form.
The alien also has a similar parasitic microorganism it launches into humans, slowly weakening them and eventually eating them away. By doing so, the parasite grows into a facsimile of the original alien, while retaining traces of the infectee's personality, though twisted into serving the alien leader.

Stations
Featured in the sector are four space stations and a planet situated around a single star. Each station has unique capabilities and can be visited at any time by using one of several types of spaceships or escape pods. The largest station is the U.S.I. Queen Niffy, which boasts a large infrastructure and fleet of spaceships, as well as many curious research labs dedicated to the sector. Other stations include the Arbitress, an advanced sensors station, the Kyo Station, which is a container for the experimental Kyo Cannon spatial artillery platform, an old unused station now scheduled for demolition. These are all situated around the orbit of the local planet Minertha, a terraformed but as yet uncolonized planet. A small military station was set up some time ago, but no one currently occupies it.
A battlecruiser from the U.S.I. fleet is also currently visiting the sector.

Credits
An extensive list of credits for the artwork featured in the game can be found within the F9 menu of the game. Special thanks needs to be given to to Clan Sirs, Catar, DarkLink_Rper, EnragedBullfrog, OmeedESF, Mooglefrooglian, mrzwach, lorg, Aenir, Scruffymurphy, Jarkill, InfernoInfernal, and especially Kodua.

UPDATE (1.8.2):
-See changelog at http://thegoodsirs.net
I don't even anymore

Keywords:
parasite, who'sthealien, mystery, alien, mutant, space
Contents

Metastasis (Map)

Reviews
00:56, 30th Jul 2009 Linaze: Lacks a proper description.

M

00:56, 30th Jul 2009
Linaze: Lacks a proper description.

Level 1
I got to play this with a kind host and I think it's brilliant! It's a FRESH take on the "parasite" genre. I wouldn't say this is a Parasite-clone, rather it has taken the "parasite" genre to a whole another level! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT to any Parasite fans.

Level 1
The only real good things it that there's a lot of exploration, the "board explorer ship" feature is awesome, and the terrain, doodads, and unit skins look spectacular. But the good things end there.

The rest suffers the same glaring problems as Parasite 2. It's too spaced out, making it incredibly difficult to find other players. There's still almost no pressure on the alien to do anything, so there's a high likelihood that everyone will just move from station randomly without being able to fight at all. An hour long game of that (or a tking fest) is unacceptable. Also, you can still teleport dance by going off and on explorer ships, and when I tried to evolve, one of the buttons was blank and didn't do anything.

All in all, 2/5, sure some things can be fixed but the general premise is still too boring, and great skins and terrains don't make a good game by themselves. I definitely won't be playing it anytime soon.

Level 1
This is a realy nice map, i liked it but the map is still empty i know, its the first version of it, i think its good for RP in it and i cant wait for next version.

Level 9
Also, you can still teleport dance by going off and on explorer ships, and when I tried to evolve, one of the buttons was blank and didn't do anything.

Couple things on here:

The blank button? Intentional. Havent you ever been annoyed when you push a button in WC3 and the dialog auto chooses the top thing? In this case, it is to prevent that. Perhaps Fel could rename it to "-Does Nothing-".

Teleport dance on ships? Not anywhere near as bad as P2. You can actually *gasp* launch the ship and no more dancing occurs.Not to mention bombs being much more avialable.

Level 12
I must admit that i like it, but like some people already said, its pretty much too empty. Put something so people would find people more easily other than radars.
Other than that, i tried it as the alien and i didnt seem to be able to evolve, is this a bug or is the evolving just not made yet?

Level 1
Steps have been made to remove the empty space, a few paths between parts of the Niffy were removed and the planet was made smaller to make it easier to find people.

The alien should work, in our games he was able to evolve, but you'd really have to ask Fel about it because I'm never the alien.

Level 1
Great game, but needs more explanations and descriptions. I can see this game becoming better in the future when all the features are available 4/5.

Level 4
mare said:
i tried it as the alien and i didnt seem to be able to evolve, is this a bug or is the evolving just not made yet?
Are you sure about this? You can only evolve once you have a certain number of evolution points (lumber), at which point the game notifies you.
Bumkt said:
is it based off of the battlestar galactica board game?
....No.

Level 3
There was an update today...but the file didn't change, wat.

Also, so called 'cold metallic killer' never appears in my games, just alien and mutant.

Level 4
DeathsBrother said:
Also, so called 'cold metallic killer' never appears in my games, just alien and mutant.

Last Updated: 00:56, 30th Jul 2009 That was today.

The Android appears with 10 or more people in the game. He is randomly selected as the other two enemies, but the player who is the android is not told of it. The android will be revealed upon that player's death, but only by death in combat. Should that player die via a ship or station exploding, that player will not be revived as the android. Also if a player leaves, the android will not be revived. If the android player is never killed and the alien and mutant are both killed, the game will end as normal without him being revealed.

The update you see was either the moderator rejecting our first description, or us updating the description to what it is now. I'm not sure which, though I assume the latter.

Level 14
Testin' and postin' stuff now.

EDIT: Well, i have to say... It's pretty nice. The terrain is excellent and the ship system is awesome. I didn't find any bugs also. But yes... Kinda empty. Awesome map you have there. Good job.

Level 4
Never heard of it for Half Life 1. Fel and I have both played MINERVA: Metastasis on Half Life 2, which partially inspired the name. Neither of us were involved ever in any modding beyond Warcraft 3 however.

Level 9
There was a bug in vers 1.0.3 where when u changed form into human with a red alien form, you had a wrong name.
And also, you copied his items but lost all your items in ur inventory, dunno if it's done like that

Level 12
So, first it is 1.1.4, not 1.0.4. Second, the 1.1.4 doens't have moon. 3rd the game is unbalanced. Android and mutant are too good, and alien sucks.Aenir is arrogant, and OmeedESF is a TKr that tk's just to rob ppl ._. . Aside from your a-bit-not-good-co-partners and the bugs/riggs/etc, the map is ok. Though it has a long way to go to get perfect. 4/5 is ok.

Level 4
Your bug sounds suspiciously like something we definitely already fixed. Our changelog isn't the best because Fel sometimes fixes things and forgets to log them, and no one else has had this problem. Please try to reproduce it with the newest, 1.1.4.

Level 7
Hi, my name is Nichita and I'm changing my religion to Metastasianism, since I played this map over 40 times in a row, and now I infected all of my FL with this map; I infected battle.net and I hope it infects you other guys too. 5/5 Best map I played in a long time, can be improved, but nothing is perfect. Best map of this genre.

Level 9
I don't agree :)
Simply because, unlike Parasite 2, playing marine is boring.
First of all, suits are boring, many passive abilities, ok -_-'... and even the active ones are not very interesting. Secondary, there are not enough items to make a strategy. There should be a lot of items that would allow a good solo player to kill an alien alone (a spawn).
The spawn can't evolve, so when the alien is killed or the mutant, spawns are fucked, they still can hide but it would be great if you'd evolve into the ALIEN or the MUTANT after they died (and becoming spawn would be funnier since u could get the alien char or mutant if he dies, it increases the chance of getting those characters !).
Forceshields are good but there are not many ways to disable it, only grenade or fusion bomb... Let's make an item which can disable it, but would requires 5 sec time to use it etc...
Every item should have a counter item :p in my opinion.

Also, the space should have an abandonned vessel or something like that, the pirate ship should have an item for aliens or could be infested by alien or mutant, the critters "failed experiment" must be infestable etc... The planet MUST be bigger, it's a boring place there ! and there are a lot of space which is not used on this map (i mean the landscape).

Level 2
I got a bug while playing as the alien. I was standing on the control panel as the Niffy while mutating and after I finished I could walk away and still have full control of the Niffy. I haven't tested this on the latest version though so it might not still be there. Great map.

Level 4
The planet used to be bigger, and we got far more complaints regarding it being too big and slowing down the game immensely.

Level 12
Power Tech Tree to Alien.Sucks no more. Power is the only good alien tech tree, all others are worse. Everyone dies to power alien, but alien (in my games) usualy died in other tech trees. So... balance alien. Make power a bit worse and the others 2 a bit better. Maybe add more skills (to the suits too)? Still waiting for moon. Why can't you write the log on the description? The link is not working... just a fast log.

-added blah blah blah
-fixed blah blah blah
-changed blah blah blah

Ah, and i'm complaining a lot because: This is how i am
2) i just want to help. And complaining usually demonstrate/explains the errors, or imperfections, etc. So don't begin screaming at me or something that i am complaining about the "best map in the genre" as Nichita said.

keep the good work. Dling 1.1.5 now..

edit.

Everyone based at beggining sucks. Good idea anti-fortifying ships and other things, stop campers from...camping. I still thin you must do something about the planet though. Will the Kyo Cannon be able to destroy the moon?

Last edited:
Level 1
Hi, first i must told you that is my first message (yes i'm new).
This map is very good, I played it with my mates all the day and i love it. But i think some things are bad like the cannon (sorry i can't remember the name)can destroy a lot of things fast and this is unfair =( (when you are controlling the cannon this is funny). I think you should add some new items. (I was dissapointed when i tried to go in the pirate's spaceship because we can't =( ) Anyway this is one of the best maps i have ever seen ! (Sorry if my english is bad but i'm from france but i like speaking english =) )

Level 8
2/5

could be improved. should be more user friendly. compared to symbiote and other "who is" games like parasite. this is most beautiful; with that same comparason its the hardest to learn.

what it needs is one of those phrase clauses since 90% of ppl dont read loading screens. something like -help.

Level 6
My only real issue is that on the planet, when those strange mammoth creatures (I forget the name. Something from a squiggle?) spawned, some spawned inside the radar station and that supply area father below it. It might have been intentional, but it's a little annoying that the 2 places get utterly destroyed by the creatures. Most creatures don't open doors. The planet could have been bigger though. It's as big as the Queen Niffy. The planet is also destroyable? I killed it with 2 raptors. The pirate ship is a good idea, but I never noticed a stations health ever go up after an attack.

Level 4
2/5

could be improved. should be more user friendly. compared to symbiote and other "who is" games like parasite. this is most beautiful; with that same comparason its the hardest to learn.

what it needs is one of those phrase clauses since 90% of ppl dont read loading screens. something like -help.

i actually thought the map was easy to learn- real easy since you basically get the hang of ship boarding/docking, the suits/items extremely easily.