• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maximum and Minumum Extents calculating manually?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, so I want to learn how exactly this thing is work. I need to understand how to work with it. I know that you can calculate it automatically in Model Editor. But this not helps me, because left side of model isn't selectable. There 6 parameters but what each of them do??? If there was some way to make them visible, so I could editing it with no problem, but I can only edit and test them in game, but this is takes many time.

Does any body know what do of each extent parameter??

n8R41Qp.png

PS: I've added collusion shapes but for some reason it looks like they not for selectable borders of the model?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As a rough guess they are two points of an axis aligned cube. This is similar to how rects have a minimum and maximum point to define their area. I would imagine the units are in Warcraft III units for a model set to a 1.0 scale, so 128 corresponds to the flat distance between neighbouring terrain nodes.

Level 5
ah, so it's like there is one point at left down corner and other point is at right top corner? (I mean it depends on coordinates were those points located, can be different) And changing coordinates of these 2 points is making invisible cube around model and this invisible cube is selecting area?

Level 5
But I don't understand what is bounds radius in this case? Because when you making collision shape like box, there no need bounds radius.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As a rough guess collision shapes are used for hit detection (player cursor clicks selecting the model) where was bounds are used for clipping (do not render models with bounds far outsight the viewing area to save on graphic API calls).

Without collision shapes the model will use its geometry to calculate collisions. This can result in strange selecting artefacts for models which have fine geometry detail or high speed animations. In an example of what not to do with collision spheres, look at the void walker where a lot of the geometry and animation falls outside the collision sphere so players might fail to target it when intended despite visually targeting it. DotA Allstars fixed this with a custom void ray model with better collision shapes.

Level 5
I don't know but collision shapes for my model not work for mouse pointer, only maximum and minimum exntents work with bounds radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.