• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

maps crash Warcraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I downloaded about 20 maps from the first and second pages, some given mod approval and some not.. out of 20 maps 6 were playable... the rest either wouldn't load to the player screen or crashed Warcraft FT (v1.16).

What does moderator approval actually mean? Is there something i am doing wrong? Other maps load and play fine.. I have a ton of custom maps and am used to sometimes maps not working.. but these maps are "approved" and have comments saying good work or whatever but yet they won't even load?!?

Ideas?

Level 32
For me, approved maps must be complete (including proper icon paths and tooltips) be fairly original in content, and perform well when I play the map. I just ignored one tonight that crashed three times.

Please provide valid hyperlinks to maps you find unacceptable!

Well, we can assure you that it is most likely not the Hive's fault. It is the map makers.

Of course, unapproved maps might crash due to it not being approving material.

The thing is, triggers can make a map crash. Due to infinite loops, bugs, or any other terrors to a map, the map can just crash and exit automatically.

Overloads in maps can cause crashes too, I believe. As in, there is an overload in units/destructables or something.

Also, the person might have played around with desync functions. One desyncing function, is using "GetLocalPlayer". GetLocalPlayer should only be used in the "if GetLocalPlayer() == Player(#) then" block if it is for one player, or if it is for a force, "if IsPlayerInForce(Force,GetLocalPlayer) then"...

So basically, it is probably a map that is bugged. :)

Level 16
crashed Warcraft FT (v1.16).

There's your reason.

But continuing the topic. People can update their maps freely, updates dont require new aproval. So new versions can contain fatal bugs that crash the game. If you find such game breaking bugs, you report them to the creator of the map, you dont whine that the hive staff isnt doing its job properly.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Do not complain about stuff not working unless you activly have the lattest version of WC3 since we can not be responsiable for recources not functioning on any versions but the lattest version since by default everyone should have it since it is free to update and also quick.

Level 2
oh ok, i thought i had the latest but i guess it is not.. let me patch and i will go back and try them out...1.21 is the latest?

Yes i do have it cracked but i own the game.. i just prefer not to use the CD to protect them from scratches.

Level 32
... new versions can contain fatal bugs that crash the game. If you find such game breaking bugs, you report them to the creator of the map...
Excellent point: some things are beyond the control of our resource moderators. For example, last winter I spent hours and hours testing and approving all of Black_Stan's models, then one day he waltzed in and deleted all of them. If resource creators update their submissions in any way, complications can arise.

oh ok, i thought i had the latest but i guess it is not.. let me patch and i will go back and try them out...1.21 is the latest?

Yes i do have it cracked but i own the game.. i just prefer not to use the CD to protect them from scratches.
Yes, 1.21 is Blizzard's latest patch.

Just a reminder: Community > FAQ > THW Rules > Software Piracy
The Hive Workshop does not condone, encourage, support or tolerate the use of any appz, cracks, hacks, spoofers, torrents, warez or any other type of bootleg, illegal or pirated software (or techniques). The posting of such material or links to it are absolutely forbidden.
My own TFT CD has been in and out of my drive bay (probably) thousands of times with no ill effects from scratches or abuse. (IMO) it's best to just play it straight.

Level 6
Excellent point: some things are beyond the control of our resource moderators. For example, last winter I spent hours and hours testing and approving all of Black_Stan's models, then one day he waltzed in and deleted all of them. If resource creators update their submissions in any way, complications can arise.

Yes, 1.21 is Blizzard's latest patch.

Just a reminder: Community > FAQ > THW Rules > Software PiracyMy own TFT CD has been in and out of my drive bay (probably) thousands of times with no ill effects from scratches or abuse. (IMO) it's best to just play it straight.

You are right not to condone piracy however having a backup disk is not illegal...

but yes, the update thing is a big problem...also sometimes (this happens to me) I'll update a map with a minimap preview and even though I have changed nothing with the preview suddenly it crashes the game when you click the map...dunno why

Level 4
Ehhh, do you get a fatal error for the maps? I know in some maps like Island Troll Tribes everybody that looks at a certain part (a corner on the right side) crashes. I think it's the terrain bugged? I have no idea. I don't deal with map editor much.

Ehhh, do you get a fatal error for the maps? I know in some maps like Island Troll Tribes everybody that looks at a certain part (a corner on the right side) crashes. I think it's the terrain bugged? I have no idea. I don't deal with map editor much.

That sounds like the anti maphack thingy people have been talking about. Adding a corrupted light source to some corner and then hiding it with fog.

It's possible that the creator tried to add this kind of protection and failed somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.