• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reviewing maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Sure maps are already reviewed by moderators to approve them but there has never been a real big story around them and just some lines saying its a good map and every mod does it otherwise (With + and - or without). So can we make a review maps section? should be like...
Map Review Content

Map name: Mapname.w3x (Supported by download link offcourse)
Text: Story about the map and what to do.
Terrain: 1 out of 10
Triggers: 1 out of 10
Units/items: 1 out of 10
Overall Score: 1 out of 10 (Terrain + Triggers + Units/items : 3 = ?)
Conclusion: A small conclusion about the map
[+]
- Plus points of the map
[-]
- Minus points of the map
Well.. and then... we should get a way to get some rules like

1) No flame reviews
2) No beginner map reviews
3) No negative reviews on purpose
4) No mapmaker can review his OWN map
5) No foreign language maps (Is actually also a rule of the hive i believe)
6) No offensive maps (Nazi etc.)

This would also quite benefit good maps and degrade the bad maps. But the good maps will get some extra attention by this. Btw i know ive already done this once but plz lol just discuss it xD

Last edited:
Level 24
Reviewing maps in a way like that takes far to long. Its ok with contests and stuff, when theres pretty much 10 maps max, but for a whole database off maps, it would take far to long. And if the person wants more feedback on their map, they can always just ask the moderator for a more detailed review.

Level 27
I ment like.. people can be assigned to review maps. and if you are a reviewer you can review maps you like once in a while and tell the good and bad points of it and by that promoting it. You don't need to review every map in the database . just review whatever you like it doesnt have to be from our database at all.

Level 24
I dont think we should have reviews at all!
For example a newb submits his maps, and people reviews it for 1-3 points.
Then later when hes map improves and it grows good, then why would someone download the great map and play it when it has like 2.8 in score cus someone rated it back then?
Or for example someone who dislikes the submitter gives it only 1 point!?

I think only comments should be allowed as it can be removed easily!

Then later when hes map improves and it grows good, then why would someone download the great map and play it when it has like 2.8 in score cus someone rated it back then?

I'm guessing that if this ever got implemented that there'd certainly be an "edit review" button.

And if you really must review then for god's sake that's what comments are for.

Level 27

Did you read the rules i suggested to add??

1) No flame reviews
2) No beginner map reviews
3) No negative reviews on purpose
4) No mapmaker can review his OWN map

Those 3 are all in your post lol. (the bold ones)

Level 11
I think that if you're looking for feedback on your map, forcing mods to do it is a bad way. There is like a 2% chance that they will play it multiplayer in the first place, because of how long it takes. So how big an impression do you think they'll have just playing single player. If you want feedback, make a map and post a thread about it. At least then some people will play it. Host it on bnet often as well, and ask people for their feedback. Both ways are much better than asking people like ragingspeedhorn to review your map after they've done like 15 others.

That would be stupid, as the maker would just brag and only state the good points.
Yeah... thats why he said that no map maker should be allowed to...

Level 27
That would be stupid, as the maker would just brag and only state the good points.

Thats why i made up that rule..

And why is everyone holding that MODERATORS should do the reviews? is anyone reading at all what i say? i said people should get assigned to do it but only when they are able to do serious reviews and not you just get banned from joining it .. is this so hard to understand? that mods CANT do one thing?

Level 27
I don't get #2.

And if I were to review a map and it had nothing good, then what am I supposed to do? Lie? If and when I review maps, I don't sugar coat. If there is something wrong or something I don't like, I say so.

Rofl.. what about just DONT POST? xD (I add 2 new rules btw)

Because regular users can't be trusted.

Thats why they will be checked if they apply to enter. and if they do not obey the rules they are banned out of the group not being able to review anymore.. And if we would implant it and only Mods would be able to use it it would be a waste of time because they already are soooo bussy with everything else

Level 36
We already have people that are checked, and basically do the job that you're talking about. Resource Moderators.

Mods do exactly the job you're asking for, right now. The problem is that our Resource staff is not large enough (or active for that matter) to cope with the high volume of resources being submitted.

Level 11
See the problem is... most active people still in the wc3 community are not that knowledgeable. And the ones that are dont want to waste their time sorting through a whole bunch of crap. So we get a whole bunch of noob mods that do something for a while and quit when they realize it's boring as hell.

Level 6
We already have people that are checked, and basically do the job that you're talking about. Resource Moderators.

Mods do exactly the job you're asking for, right now. The problem is that our Resource staff is not large enough (or active for that matter) to cope with the high volume of resources being submitted.

This brings us back for the need of more staff. As this site grows larger everyday, so does the staff need to increase to moderate and keep the community 'healthy' with supplying opinions, moderating, filtering improper resources, and making sure no idiots destroy the community.

Level 17
people dont have to be assigned. It could be like replacing the comment system on maps.

Instead of the usual:

"lol this map is great thx for upload lawl xd"
we could make it so users write in a format and their final rating and comment is shown at the bottom of their post... then again that sounds hard to script or w/e.

people can do it as they please, and not when their assigned (it could be made so that you need a certain number of rep/post count.)

OR alternativly.

you could make a new forum, where users can post their map, and people give them feedback (Finished maps not developed like in map development)

that way they can get other feedback than "wow omg so great i luv models ty make ownage version 2 omega" or the feedback given by the moderators. a new forum for map reviews :p

Status
Not open for further replies.