• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Map Field Guide

Level 16
Lest I dare go into a Forum without any skill in it, I will confess what I know--mapping, skinning, basic modelling, art, and lastly, spells. This is in request of one of the overlords of this Forum, VGSatomi. Third sequel to wc3sear.ch field guide.

What are maps?

Maps, also known as Scenarii, are the beings' toys in this strange region known as wc3sear.ch. However, they beings either whittle out their own out of a hunk of data, or use someone else's. This can become a fascinating hobby, but as with all hobbies, they need skill. The variations of these scenarii can be very thorough and nice, but still smell like a pice of oily crud that these beings call C |2 4 []D, in translated terms, "crap." But some, can be quite simple, but extremeley fun.

The Scenarii Forum

First, I will start with the greatest creature that rules over us, even greater than the mighty Admins. It is called Blizzardi Enterus. Its childspawn's evolved form is htis map forum, but it is quite a strange one. Some of it is wallowing in mud, usually because of all the cretin there, driving the poor forum deeper into the ground with the cretin's excremental chiselings, known as not reading the FAQ and stupid questions. The other half is a constructive half, usually filled and bustling with dust. The chiselers, however, are like fishing--they cannot always fulfil their needs for a team of beings to construct a massive contraption, also known and abbreviated as an RPG, which confuses me with the highly destrutive propelled explosive. Anything else the composes it is usually a combination of good, but simple questions, and some things that don't feed well in this beastly forum, and suually shrivel up and die, and then are resurrected in the correct habitat also known as moving a thread.

Moderators of the Map Forum

I know two beasts here, one docile until disturbed, and a rarer, more majestic one, but a bit more hostile

Pantus - The majestic creature, prowls around in the area about twice a week, but occasionally leaves a trail of destruction, but desipte the dying corpses of those beings, the beauty of the fire is amazing; plus, it's as fun as heck because fried cretin tastes awesome.

V.G. Satomi - This is the docile being, often being polite, and fairly nice. It knows several dialects of the beings, and is able to help them. But just because of its polite disposition and talents, does not mean it is powerless. He has fried several things, but what really sucks is that the cretin are still undercooked :evil:

Types of Scenarii

Not much to say, but this whittling brings on different forms of toys. But they usually share one characteristic--their shape. But what differs is how they are played, what is required, and most importantly, QUALITY!

Minigus - A simple playtoy, it has a fun background and a session is fairly short. Also includes a minor group known as CTF/Arena, both of which usually lack quality, and are fairly mediocre, except for a grand few.

Aeonus - Also abbreviated as "AoS," this is a team game. Fairly slow paced, and a fairly hard toy to make. Sessions last from half an hour to 2 hours, and a very malignant problem is balance. Sadly, the stupidity of a certain majority of beings fail to see which ones are actually good. :cry:

Massive Contraption - previously noted, these are also called RPG's. They are difficult to make, and are extremely fun. Sadly, still, like Aeonus, many fail to see which are good, and which are plain C|24[]D. They involved some skill, but because of the gameplay default in all of these toys, they are fairly easy to play in some areas

Melee - What sucks about these is, that its name is not literal, so I don't get to see two beings go hand-to-hand to the death :twisted: . These use Blizzardus's style of playing, and involed building minions to send on suicide missions. What amazes me is Rightfielius's brainchild, the ToTORus, a massive Melee toy that represents his way of play. Also includes lesser imitations of ToTORus.

Defenus/Survian - These are games where you must maintain yourself, and not be defeated. Sometimes it's in teams, sometimes not. These type of games are fairly fast-paced, and require some skill to play. Sessions vary greatly in time, but quality is fairly decent.

Offenus - The total opposite of Defenus, you must go all out against a foe and crush them. Most of these are mediocre, but some are quite fun and are filled with whatnot.

Cinneus - My favorite, these are like small shows performed by the figures whittled onto the material, kind of like a living storybook. My personal favorites are COToDus, COTogoN, and GOrCiaD.

Campagnos - A beautiful figure, it is a game to be played alone. Consists of a series of these little toys, and usually has good quality, kind of like a handmade toybox. Sessions can last from a seris of hours to days, but of course, there are breaks, for tasty things like downloads and comments. Usually consists of Melee, Massive Contraption, and an occasional Cinneus toy.

wTf d00d? wth u ned Ba14L|/|c3 4?

Most of these beings are naive, and think they are the best. They quickly jab their tool into the block, often writing their names all over the board, so they feel like they will be popular. Sadly, most of these beings would make absolutely tasty fryings, but usually just have their little toys confiscated and burned, which also makes a great snack.

Conclusions
  • Maps are also known as Scenarii
  • Scenarii can vary is different shapes, but usually function similarly
  • Fried cretin tastes awesome! :p
  • The map forum is very diverse, and most of it is either good or bad, not much is in between

Level 22
LOL creative as usual.

But do keep in mind that I've deleted appoximatly 250-300 maps since I've become a mod (almost all for the same reason) which has boilded enouph blood in the community and inevitably lead to fiery eruptions of flames (in the form of PM's) to make many believe I'm not docile :wink:

I don't think you give AoS enouph credit. And I'm amazed you didnt mention dota once :shock:

It would not let me sticky this after it was created for some odd reason, so I just made my own sticky with a link in it.
-VGsatomi

Level 4
Yes! Someone other than me fully understands the absolute stupidity of so many people here! It seems like a lot of the quality people have left the map-making business. Oh well.

Level 4
it's really ashame , how some maps look.
Just some stupid things , Almost no maps lately are made with passion!
Evryone just smashes some things and done . . .
Thats really stupid , a real map requires attention , focusing , and on-top : Care!
You can't justdo something!
You need an actual plan!
In my opinion , there are a few diamonds in this scrapheapof warcraft maps :roll:

Level 3
You know, if half the people complaining about how bad maps are today spent half their effort instead on making their own maps...there would be a lot less complaining about bad maps. Take that as you will.

Level 24
nightbringer, it's not that people aren't working on their own scenarii, it's that most worthwhile scenarii take weeks if not months, possibly years.. the exception would be maps used to kill time like solo TDs or DotA. It is very hard to throw together something worthwhile as fast as it takes to throw together something (insert preferred derogatory term here). I'm working on my own map but ran into a massive bug.