• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Adapter

Level 18
hi bro, please !! :( can you convert this map war reforged to war3 class, i played on war3 1.27 , becaouse of my pc dont run NET 5.0 Runtime , thank you lots of ^^
Does your PC not support it or could you simply not find the correct installation? I noticed that I put the link to the latest version instead of 5.0, which is now out of support.
You can find the .NET 5.0 downloads here: Download .NET 5.0 (Linux, macOS, and Windows)
I also updated the first post with the updated link.

Since the tool uses windows forms you need to pick the .NET desktop runtime, which is only on windows.
Let me know if you have mac or linux, in that case I could make a console application version (which has already been requested before).
Then you'd only need to have the .NET runtime which also works on mac and linux.

Can this be used to make old maps playable in Reforged?
It depends on the reason for which a map no longer works in Reforged, and if there's a solution to make it work that can be automatically applied.
Of course without a specific map I cannot tell you, and it's also very hard to find out the cause when the game doesn't give you any information about what's wrong.
Right now the only real 'fix' that gets applied when the target patch is higher than the patch for which the map was made is for the object data, but I don't think that can crash the game, only the world editor.

Level 7
It depends on the reason for which a map no longer works in Reforged, and if there's a solution to make it work that can be automatically applied.
Of course without a specific map I cannot tell you, and it's also very hard to find out the cause when the game doesn't give you any information about what's wrong.
Right now the only real 'fix' that gets applied when the target patch is higher than the patch for which the map was made is for the object data, but I don't think that can crash the game, only the world editor.

Well, I heard there is a bug when upgrading from 1.27 to Reforged which deletes all the custom descriptions from object editor inside world editor. I mainly create stuff for 1.27, which is the version of the game that I have; as it allows me to play some older maps that I like and have saved on a stick.

Also, I am not a full time modder, most of the stuff I do is asset flips, in regards to unit/hero ability designs and some minor terraining.

Level 3
I found a diffuculty, due to units' object identifier system in reforge, all custom units/unit changes have been removed as errors when I adapted the map to patch 1.26a. Is there any way it can be fixed?

Level 1
I get an error message when I open a map.

Sin título.png

Level 18
I get an error message when I open a map.
You put in a whole campaign, which I am not sure the tool supports. Put in maps one by one to be sure
Campaigns are supported, but there was an error reading the war3campaign.w3f file: War3Net/CampaignMapButton.cs at master · Drake53/War3Net
The first property should be a boolean so I validate the value is either 0 or 1, so when it's some random integer value I throw an exception, though I'm never sure in these situations if I should just ignore the error instead since a common map protection technique is to put random values that wc3 doesn't validate or interprets somehow, for example in the case of a boolean it might be 0 is false and any other value is true.

Level 1
Campaigns are supported, but there was an error reading the war3campaign.w3f file: War3Net/CampaignMapButton.cs at master · Drake53/War3Net
The first property should be a boolean so I validate the value is either 0 or 1, so when it's some random integer value I throw an exception, though I'm never sure in these situations if I should just ignore the error instead since a common map protection technique is to put random values that wc3 doesn't validate or interprets somehow, for example in the case of a boolean it might be 0 is false and any other value is true.
I get error message when I open other maps.

Sin título.png

Level 1
can someone adapt these campaigns to the 1.26a version for me? I can't get the program work.

Level 2
hic hic , please help me , i want to play map but it run on reforged, please :( you can convert it to war 3 classic for me , i'm begging on you :necry:

Attachments

• D map tested.w3x
    8.3 MB · Views: 9
Level 18
I get error message when I open other maps.
In this case the error is caused by the map being made in a very old version of the world editor, and my code to check the 'origin' patch, the patch in which the map was made, isn't complete: War3App/MapInfoExtensions.cs at master · Drake53/War3App
The check stops at world editor version 6052, because I was too lazy to add the remaining ones and figured my tool would mostly be used to adapt maps made with 1.31 or 1.32

Also, I managed to fix the earlier error with the campaign file, but I have not yet uploaded a fixed version because when I tested it there was another file that gave an error that I still have to fix.

Level 1
In this case the error is caused by the map being made in a very old version of the world editor, and my code to check the 'origin' patch, the patch in which the map was made, isn't complete: War3App/MapInfoExtensions.cs at master · Drake53/War3App
The check stops at world editor version 6052, because I was too lazy to add the remaining ones and figured my tool would mostly be used to adapt maps made with 1.31 or 1.32

Also, I managed to fix the earlier error with the campaign file, but I have not yet uploaded a fixed version because when I tested it there was another file that gave an error that I still have to fix.
I think I have not configured the .json file correctly.

Sin título.png

Level 18
hic hic , please help me , i want to play map but it run on reforged, please :( you can convert it to war 3 classic for me , i'm begging on you :necry:
The map contains a lot of .dds images, these will have to be converted to .blp or .tga.
The map script seems mostly compatible, only 'MathRound', 'BlzStartUnitAbilityCooldown', and 'TriggerRegisterCommandEvent' are unavailable (I assume you mean 1.31 when you say war3 classic, otherwise there may be more incompatible functions used).
If you don't know how to work with JASS then I recommend you reach out to the map author to ask for a version of the map that works on earlier patches.

I think I have not configured the .json file correctly.
The tool currently does not support extracting the files from MPQ/CASC for you, you need to do this manually.

Level 2
The map contains a lot of .dds images, these will have to be converted to .blp or .tga.
The map script seems mostly compatible, only 'MathRound', 'BlzStartUnitAbilityCooldown', and 'TriggerRegisterCommandEvent' are unavailable (I assume you mean 1.31 when you say war3 classic, otherwise there may be more incompatible functions used).
If you don't know how to work with JASS then I recommend you reach out to the map author to ask for a version of the map that works on earlier patches.

The tool currently does not support extracting the files from MPQ/CASC for you, you need to do this manually.
hic hic :( author's map said it run on war3 1.32.2 (reforged), i want to play this map on war3 1.27-1.31 so i hope you can help me , respect for you

Level 3
So I can't use 0.9 and 1.1.2 because I get some windows crash, I can give you logs if u want from bump.
but I actually come here because when I use 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 I can normally use it but I get a lot of AdapterError from basic files like w3a w3b w3d etc. and that happens when I try to port to 1.26a.
But then I try to port to 1.30.1 and it says ConfigError instead and it says missing simple things like "Required file not found: D:\1.30.1.10211\Data\data\data.000\doodads\doodads.slk"
but maybe I am just choosing wrong file and it shouldn't be data.000
So is there anything I can do and how to do it then cause I guess it might be about functions that are not compatible? or idk

Last edited:
Level 4
Hello, I seem unable to use your too. I downloaded it but when I open it I get a message saying that I need to download net 5.0. I tried to download the one from your link but the link has expired. I downloaded 5.0 after searching for a bit (and later 6.0) but neither worked. What can I do to fix this?

Level 18
Hello, I seem unable to use your too. I downloaded it but when I open it I get a message saying that I need to download net 5.0. I tried to download the one from your link but the link has expired. I downloaded 5.0 after searching for a bit (and later 6.0) but neither worked. What can I do to fix this?
Not sure what link you mean, this one still works for me: Download .NET 5.0 (Linux, macOS, and Windows)
Make sure you pick the correct installer.

Attachments

• NET5 runtime.png
    NET5 runtime.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 37
Level 18
Hello, I tried out your map adapter on a copy of Monlith that I opened and saved in 1.33's editor. However, I get the error in the attacked screenshot. I suspect this has to do with 1.33. Are you able to fix it?
I tried supporting the new format in my underlying War3Net library but someone alerted me that the implementation is not correct, so I haven't updated this tool yet.

Level 3
So what is the main file in 1.31, comparing to 1.26 where the main file is .mpq. Cause I don't know what to choose in your map adapter

Level 8
I have a couple of questions, I am a bit on the dumber side here.
1. Versions 1.1.2 and 1.1.4 do not have appsettings.json in their RAR file, do I need to manually create a json file or do I not need appsettings.json anymore (If I dont what do I use as a substitute)?
2. Versions 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 do have an appsettings.json, but I dont know what to put in the GameDataPath": "C:\\path\\to\\war3.w3mod", do I put the path of my main wc3 directory or the path of document directory where the maps are?

Level 17
I have a couple of questions, I am a bit on the dumber side here.
1. Versions 1.1.2 and 1.1.4 do not have appsettings.json in their RAR file, do I need to manually create a json file or do I not need appsettings.json anymore (If I dont what do I use as a substitute)?
2. Versions 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 do have an appsettings.json, but I dont know what to put in the GameDataPath": "C:\\path\\to\\war3.w3mod", do I put the path of my main wc3 directory or the path of document directory where the maps are?
Path to War3.w3mod implies that you should extract the game data to a folder, then set GameDataPath to that folder

Level 18
Versions 1.1.2 and 1.1.4 do not have appsettings.json in their RAR file, do I need to manually create a json file or do I not need appsettings.json anymore (If I dont what do I use as a substitute)?
I stopped including appsettings.json to make it easier to update to a newer version, so you don't have to worry about your appsettings.json being overwritten.

Level 8
I stopped including appsettings.json to make it easier to update to a newer version, so you don't have to worry about your appsettings.json being overwritten.
Okey so I just used appsettings .json from one of the previous version.
I had tried setting up and starting it up but it doesn't work. I had installed .NET and here is the path.

I am not really sure what I am doing wrong here.
EDIT: These are the files I have in war3.w3mod
EDIT2: Okey I managed to open it. But now it just crashes when i click adapt all.
1662297246334.png

there are the files I have in

Last edited:
Level 18
Okey so I just used appsettings .json from one of the previous version.
I had tried setting up and starting it up but it doesn't work. I had installed .NET and here is the path.

I am not really sure what I am doing wrong here.
EDIT: These are the files I have in war3.w3mod
EDIT2: Okey I managed to open it. But now it just crashes when i click adapt all.
View attachment 406417
there are the files I have in
The appsettings file in earlier versions is just an example of the JSON structure, it's not actually usable (unless you actually extract the game data to that path).
It seems like you extracted the game data to the same location as the application itself, this won't work unless you correctly set the path in appsettings.json.

You're not the first to struggle with configuring the appsettings though, so I'm working on adding a new UI where you can configure the appsettings.
For starters it'll have a dropdown and folder picker dialog so you can manually add a target patch, but I'm planning on adding an option to automatically extract the game MPQ or CASC and detect the target patch, so all you'd have to do is select the game folder (which can also be done automatically through the registry).

Level 8
The appsettings file in earlier versions is just an example of the JSON structure, it's not actually usable (unless you actually extract the game data to that path).
It seems like you extracted the game data to the same location as the application itself, this won't work unless you correctly set the path in appsettings.json.

You're not the first to struggle with configuring the appsettings though, so I'm working on adding a new UI where you can configure the appsettings.
For starters it'll have a dropdown and folder picker dialog so you can manually add a target patch, but I'm planning on adding an option to automatically extract the game MPQ or CASC and detect the target patch, so all you'd have to do is select the game folder (which can also be done automatically through the registry).
I had set the path to the application folder of the Map Adapter. I figure the problem is in the files I exctracted or more precisely the ones I didnt. Do I exctract the entire game into the folder or just some specific ones. Because there is a corrupted file about Rexxar that just doesnt want to be exctracted by casc viewer. The version I choose to adapt the map to is 1.26a (I am not sure if that is relevant)

This file:
1662391727791.png

Last edited:
Level 18
I had set the path to the application folder of the Map Adapter. I figure the problem is in the files I exctracted or more precisely the ones I didnt. Do I exctract the entire game into the folder or just some specific ones. Because there is a corrupted file about Rexxar that just doesnt want to be exctracted by casc viewer. The version I choose to adapt the map to is 1.26a (I am not sure if that is relevant)

This file:
View attachment 406462
It doesn't matter if you extract all files or only the ones needed by the application.
What does matter is the version you choose to adapt to. This version should match the version from which you extract the game files.
You can probably still adapt to 1.26 using newer game files (1.30+ since you're extracting from CASC), but then not all incompatibilities will be detected.

If the application crashes even when you set the settings correctly there may be an issue with the map (or campaign), or a bug in the application.
You could upload the map, so I can test it and see if I can find the issue.

Level 8
It doesn't matter if you extract all files or only the ones needed by the application.
What does matter is the version you choose to adapt to. This version should match the version from which you extract the game files.
You can probably still adapt to 1.26 using newer game files (1.30+ since you're extracting from CASC), but then not all incompatibilities will be detected.

If the application crashes even when you set the settings correctly there may be an issue with the map (or campaign), or a bug in the application.
You could upload the map, so I can test it and see if I can find the issue.
I had somewhat found the problem.
It works when I adapt it manually one by one.
1662393670071.png

When I try to adapt scripts\war3map.j it crashes.
EDIT: Yes everything gets adapted, except jass script. Is it possible that protecting the map makes the script unadaptable?

Level 18
I had somewhat found the problem.
It works when I adapt it manually one by one.
View attachment 406477
When I try to adapt scripts\war3map.j it crashes.
EDIT: Yes everything gets adapted, except jass script. Is it possible that protecting the map makes the script unadaptable?
A protected map (script) should not crash the application, so if it does that's a bug in the application.
Can you upload the map script (or the entire map if you prefer) so I can debug the issue?

Level 18
By the way did you manage to adapt the map to 1.26a? If yes can you send the adapted map over? There is a community on gameranger that wants to try it out.
Since I don't have 1.26 game files either, it'd be better if someone who does tries to adapt the map.

Level 18
hello drake ive been trying to find a way to downgrade a map from reforged to 1.26 i dont really understand how your program works would you please contact me and help me out?
What part of using the program isn't clear? Are you having trouble setting up the configuration (appsettings.json)? Do you have the required files for patch 1.26?
After that it's basically open the map, click adapt all, and save. Of course it depends on the map if the program can automatically fix all incompatibilities, especially when going from reforged way back to 1.26