• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Adapter

Level 4
this thing work with maps to play in warcraft 3 1.28.5 o 1.30.4 .... my version favourite is 1.26 o 1.27 ( imposible nou) ? plz tell me .... dont like reforged thks

Level 2
Hi!!! I have to speak! lol guys, I don't know why there is no detailed intelligible instructions (guide) here, but I want to share a complete instruction on how I managed to adapt the first map.
before all this, I had to read the entire forum, follow each tedious link, spend hours figuring out what and why, not according to specific instructions, but according to various references in messages and hints, in general, there is little intuitive -_-. So what needs to be done:
The first step is to install this ".NET Desktop Runtime 5.0.17", but not this ".NET Runtime 5.0.17"...
2nd: the program of the latest version is downloaded, but it does not start until the last one -_-, because nowhere in the header or in the archive there is a specific mention and syntax for this appsettings.json (I guessed to download it from version 1.0.0).
further 3. according to reports, you need to understand that for adaptation you need the files of the reforge itself (downloaded (with which I was lucky)), and in addition to this, this is all achieved through the little-mentioned ladic's casc viewer program. through it, files are obtained from the topic header (there is a link) in mandatory accuracy, which, unfortunately, is done manually without automation. then the json file is edited according to the samples from the header links. and only after that the program starts ... and until that moment you need to be perplexed and wonder what is wrong. well, then the path to the map and its adapted export for 1.26 wc3 version. Hurrah! the map started, but my usual (melee) map from reforged was completely successful with flaws - for some reason, neutral buildings did not receive the Passive type ?! so far the program has pleased, it is the best analogue of patchMap1.07 software Lol) it was hard and too long.:confused:2

Attachments

• Буфер обмена01.jpg
    Буфер обмена01.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Level 18
Hi!!! I have to speak! lol guys, I don't know why there is no detailed intelligible instructions (guide) here, but I want to share a complete instruction on how I managed to adapt the first map.
before all this, I had to read the entire forum, follow each tedious link, spend hours figuring out what and why, not according to specific instructions, but according to various references in messages and hints, in general, there is little intuitive -_-. So what needs to be done:
The first step is to install this ".NET Desktop Runtime 5.0.17", but not this ".NET Runtime 5.0.17"...
2nd: the program of the latest version is downloaded, but it does not start until the last one -_-, because nowhere in the header or in the archive there is a specific mention and syntax for this appsettings.json (I guessed to download it from version 1.0.0).
further 3. according to reports, you need to understand that for adaptation you need the files of the reforge itself (downloaded (with which I was lucky)), and in addition to this, this is all achieved through the little-mentioned ladic's casc viewer program. through it, files are obtained from the topic header (there is a link) in mandatory accuracy, which, unfortunately, is done manually without automation. then the json file is edited according to the samples from the header links. and only after that the program starts ... and until that moment you need to be perplexed and wonder what is wrong. well, then the path to the map and its adapted export for 1.26 wc3 version. Hurrah! the map started, but my usual (melee) map from reforged was completely successful with flaws - for some reason, neutral buildings did not receive the Passive type ?! so far the program has pleased, it is the best analogue of patchMap1.07 software Lol) it was hard and too long.:confused:2
Thanks for the feedback and writing the instructions.
I have updated the first post to emphasize that you need the Desktop runtime (the minimal runtime does not include windows forms, which is used for the UI), and included an example appsettings.json file in the attachments.

About the 3rd point, you don't actually need reforged files, only the files for the patch for which you want to adapt the map (in your case 1.26).
I have also added links to the tools you can use to extract the game files in the first post.

The issue with neutral passive buildings is a bug in the tool. Since patch 1.29, there are 24 player slots instead of 12. Because of this, the player number for neutral players has been increased by 12. My tool does not yet handle this for the war3mapUnits.doo file.

Level 2
Thanks for the feedback and writing the instructions.
Wow, thanks for the reply. Even now you have clarified a lot for me) Now everything is clear!
About the 3rd point, you don't actually need reforged files, only the files for the patch for which you want to adapt the map (in your case 1.26).
I have also added links to the tools you can use to extract the game files in the first post.
The surprising thing is that I was able to adapt the map when I extracted the files from the reforging, even though you said that this is done with the files of my version.

Level 18
The surprising thing is that I was able to adapt the map when I extracted the files from the reforging, even though you said that this is done with the files of my version.
It's not really a surprise (to me), since these files are only used to check that the trigger editor / object editor data files (which melee maps don't have) are compatible with your game version.

Level 5
I have some weird issue, for some reason the textures are not working, I downloaded a lot of model from Hive and I'm using them for my map, I accidentally saved it with the reforged world editor, After I used the map adapter i can finally open my map with the 1.31 editor but the textures are not working, they worked before but now after I used the Map adapter the Textures of the models are not working, (Keep in mind that in the import manager the textures are there)

Level 18
I have some weird issue, for some reason the textures are not working, I downloaded a lot of model from Hive and I'm using them for my map, I accidentally saved it with the reforged world editor, After I used the map adapter i can finally open my map with the 1.31 editor but the textures are not working, they worked before but now after I used the Map adapter the Textures of the models are not working, (Keep in mind that in the import manager the textures are there)
Maybe it's an issue with the war3map.imp file, you can try saving the map as a folder since then you don't need that file.
Imports can also get corrupted, where they still show up in the import manager, but with size 0kB. You can also tell by the map size.
If this happened you should copy the imports from an older backup, which can be done very easily as well if you save the map as folder.

Level 28
Hey so I used your tool to convert a map made with v1.31.1 to v1.29.2 and it worked. I can play the map just fine but the problem is that I cannot open it in the editor? It says "Trigger Data Missing or Invalid" like it's corrupted or protected. In the the MPQ Editor it shows Read-Only.
So if I have to guess, this tool is supposed to make maps playable on older patches but not openable in the editor, right?

Level 18
Hey so I used your tool to convert a map made with v1.31.1 to v1.29.2 and it worked. I can play the map just fine but the problem is that I cannot open it in the editor? It says "Trigger Data Missing or Invalid" like it's corrupted or protected. In the the MPQ Editor it shows Read-Only.
So if I have to guess, this tool is supposed to make maps playable on older patches but not openable in the editor, right?
Correct, but I have a tool for that as well: Map Unlocker
The topic is still a bit of a grey area though: The rule about map protection

Level 18
This is weird, I have Map Adapter working before and suddenly it stopped working when I add another patch. No error thrown, it just load and then stop loading and no screen popping up.
There's probably some issue with the appsettings.json file, could be invalid JSON or maybe the patch you added can't be parsed to a value for the enum.
Normally the form handles uncaught exceptions by showing a messagebox, but if the exception occurs before the form is loaded/shown I guess it just silently crashes.

There's probably some issue with the appsettings.json file, could be invalid JSON or maybe the patch you added can't be parsed to a value for the enum.
Normally the form handles uncaught exceptions by showing a messagebox, but if the exception occurs before the form is loaded/shown I guess it just silently crashes.
Figured out the crash. I wonder if one day you'll add support for multiple patches since the option is there but the JSON does not like multiple entries for some reason.

i got fatal error during loading of the downgraded map. any clue what cause that?
Is your downgraded map properly downgraded, especially the j file? Also, where the fatal error occured? Game or editor?
---
Sorry for double post, but I know quote doesn't detect on edited posts.

Level 18
Figured out the crash. I wonder if one day you'll add support for multiple patches since the option is there but the JSON does not like multiple entries for some reason.
This works for me:
JSON:
{
  "TargetPatches": [
    {
      "Patch": "v1_26a",
      "GameDataPath": "path1"
    },
    {
      "Patch": "v1_31_1",
      "GameDataPath": "path2"
    }
  ]
}

This works for me:
JSON:
{
  "TargetPatches": [
    {
      "Patch": "v1_26a",
      "GameDataPath": "path1"
    },
    {
      "Patch": "v1_31_1",
      "GameDataPath": "path2"
    }
  ]
}
Thanks. Worked for me, though I think the way UI works for multipatch feels a bit weird since the patch option started empty, but it works.

Level 2
Hello. what can be done with adaptation errors:
  • Unable to parse value '0.25'. Can only parse strings, integers, floats, and booleans.
  • Unable to parse value '0.01'. Can only parse strings, integers, floats, and booleans.
Map and world editor Patch 1.35.0.20063
Target patch v1.26a
Map adapter version 1.5.0

Level 18
What can I do in that case? I want to downgrade Tower Survivors to 1.27b?
View attachment 428545
Hello. what can be done with adaptation errors:
  • Unable to parse value '0.25'. Can only parse strings, integers, floats, and booleans.
  • Unable to parse value '0.01'. Can only parse strings, integers, floats, and booleans.
Map and world editor Patch 1.35.0.20063
Target patch v1.26a
Map adapter version 1.1.5
These are both issues because I haven't updated the tool in a while and it uses outdated versions of the War3Net libraries.

The EditorVersion 6115 (from patch 1.35) was added in War3Net.Build.Core v5.5.7, but the tool still uses v5.5.1
The parse error (Unable to parse value '0.15' · Issue #35 · Drake53/War3Net) was fixed in War3Net.Slk v5.5.6, but the tool still uses v5.5.0

I'll release a new version soon to solve these problems.

Level 18
After I downgrade the map(1.35) to 1.31, all of the names, tooltips, and some of the object data fields are reset.View attachment 430294
This is because patch 1.33 introduced war3mapSkin files for the object editor. Earlier patches will not read the data in these files, resulting in the issue you're seeing.
To solve this the data in these files needs to merged into the regular war3map object editor files. Since the tool handles all files individually I'll probably have to implement this file merging in the save map process.

SetPlayerHandicapDamageBJ is not in dictionary error when open map.
Error The given key 'PlayDialogueFromSpeakerEx' was not present in the dictionary.
What is the destination and original patch of the map? Some functions are not present on older versions and need to be replaced with a custom written function that does what the function does in the newer patches.

Level 2
How do you run the tool? I downloaded the 1.1.6 zip and installed the .NET Desktop Runtimes for x86 and x64 but whenever I try to open the exe it always crashes

EDIT: Silly me, I forgot to download the JSON file. Nvm

EDIT 2: After configuring the appsettings.json and extracting the war3.mpq (since I'm using 1.27b), the program still crashes

FINAL EDIT: I'm a dumbass and forgot to use double slashes. Program runs now

Last edited:
Level 18
Hello. Is there a way to convert my own World Map Template into 1.26?
There are no triggers, objects, strings in this file. ONLY the terrain. World Map Template
Sounds like you only need to adapt the war3map.w3i file. You can just use the tool as you normally would.
If you don't have the game files for v1.26, you can still do this, since the game files are not needed to adapt the war3map.w3i file. You can either set the GameDataPath to an empty directory, or you can use the game files of the game version you do have. In case you do the latter, just remember that if you ever want to adapt more complex maps, it may not work properly because the game files do not match the patch.

Level 2
Ran this on Custom Hero Survival 4.0d (2019) to port to 1.26a, and got a C# AdapterError "Sequence contains no elements" @ war3map.w3u.

EDIT: Similar error on a different map on war3mapSkin.w3u. Also, no clue how to downgrade the w3u files from 1.33+. You mentioned something about compiling to w3o, and then what?

Last edited:
Level 1
Hi.
Your tool is a lifesaver, really appreciate your work. Wish you all the best.
Could somebody help me with some issues regarding downgrade? I'm trying to convert a map from 1.35 to 1.26a.
First, adapter gives an error on .w3u components saying "Sequence contains no elements", but the map has a lot of custom units.
Second, it can't adapt some trigger functions (see attachment). But I can't understand why - all this functions didn't exist in 1.26a, really? Or I just messed something?
1700409345552.png

Hi.
Your tool is a lifesaver, really appreciate your work. Wish you all the best.
Could somebody help me with some issues regarding downgrade? I'm trying to convert a map from 1.35 to 1.26a.
First, adapter gives an error on .w3u components saying "Sequence contains no elements", but the map has a lot of custom units.
Second, it can't adapt some trigger functions (see attachment). But I can't understand why - all this functions didn't exist in 1.26a, really? Or I just messed something?
View attachment 454636

Do you provide the necessary script files to the tool? These functions should exist by 1.26, unless they secretly changed the parameters between patches.