• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Malfurion's Quest

Level 30
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted on the forum, so I thought to give everyone a quick update.

Progress is going great with Chapter 9, and it is a couple of weeks away from finishing. Once this happens, FallenStar and I will release an announcement video that will cover some exciting news about the upcoming patch 1.4b, as well as the direction of Malfurion's Quest over the next year. Until then, stay tuned :)

Level 8
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted on the forum, so I thought to give everyone a quick update.

Progress is going great with Chapter 9, and it is a couple of weeks away from finishing. Once this happens, FallenStar and I will release an announcement video that will cover some exciting news about the upcoming patch 1.4b, as well as the direction of Malfurion's Quest over the next year. Until then, stay tuned :)

So we're having an 1.4b version? Great.

Level 3

So the patch 1.4b is going to contain only the Highborne storyline completed and/or other stuffs included?
And by 'direction', you mean what you two will include in Malfurion's Quest when you finish both storylines, right?

Level 7
So the patch 1.4b is going to contain only the Highborne storyline completed and/or other stuffs included?
And by 'direction', you mean what you two will include in Malfurion's Quest when you finish both storylines, right?

We listened to feedback and we're deciding on releasing the Highbourne storyline upon completion then shifting our focus to the Sentinel storyline. The update Turnro will post will reflect this.
We have a bunch of plans and ideas for Malfurion's Quest's future that will fit quite nicely but the time has been an issue.
Every map that's been made and reworked took a lot of time both in making the script and story as well as the overall gameplay.
We just can't simply rush it as we would like to deliver a really good campaign, better than before, with more development overall. However, we do understand that there are many who would like to play it.

As soon as Chapter 9 is done, we will have a long discussion about what we'll do next. After that's done we will post the video and update everyone on the matter.

Level 14
We listened to feedback and we're deciding on releasing the Highbourne storyline upon completion then shifting our focus to the Sentinel storyline. The update Turnro will post will reflect this.
We have a bunch of plans and ideas for Malfurion's Quest's future that will fit quite nicely but the time has been an issue.
Every map that's been made and reworked took a lot of time both in making the script and story as well as the overall gameplay.
We just can't simply rush it as we would like to deliver a really good campaign, better than before, with more development overall. However, we do understand that there are many who would like to play it.

As soon as Chapter 9 is done, we will have a long discussion about what we'll do next. After that's done we will post the video and update everyone on the matter.

Glad to hear the a full storyline will release with 1.4

Is the gameplan for Resurrection of the Scourge with HM and legendarys still planned after Malfurions Quest completion?

Level 11
I just hope this campaign won't be released using 1.29 patch, because me, personally (and maybe some other people here), can't run the game using this patch. As a result of not being able to run it, I think it'll be shameful for us who are having this issue with the newest patch to also not being able to play this amazing campaign once it has been fully finished and released...

Level 14
I just hope this campaign won't be released using 1.29 patch, because me, personally (and maybe some other people here), can't run the game using this patch. As a result of not being able to run it, I think it'll be shameful for us who are having this issue with the newest patch to also not being able to play this amazing campaign once it has been fully finished and released...

Using 1.29.2 I have been playing custom campaigns all month and havn't noticed any issues so far that wasn't fixed with 1.29.2

They are going to keep patching warcraft beyond 1.29.2
They are hiring UI artists so next patch is likely fixing the UI using widescreen and to remove the letterboxing on Menus

Better fix your issues now and move on.

Level 7
Glad to hear the a full storyline will release with 1.4

Is the gameplan for Resurrection of the Scourge with HM and legendarys still planned after Malfurions Quest completion?

Hey Anaxie,good to see you again.

We're also glad that we can release a full storyline this time.

Remaking Resurrection of the Scourge would be a massive thing to do that unfortunately cannot happen until we're done with Malfurion's Quest entirely.

Even after MQ is finished, we plan to release a few major updates for it such as bonus missions, new difficulty levels and rewards upon completion as well as prequel episodes involving other characters that are tied to MQ

Level 6
Using 1.29.2 I have been playing custom campaigns all month and havn't noticed any issues so far that wasn't fixed with 1.29.2

They are hiring UI artists so next patch is likely fixing the UI using widescreen and to remove the letterboxing on Menus

No issues here, 1.29 is simply messed up.

Level 11

How do I fix it when I can't connect to Battle.Net? Please, message me on inbox and help me if you can. I'm really having issues with this newest patch. Thanks in advice.

Level 14
No issues here, 1.29 is simply messed up.
That literally says nohing of value

How do I fix it when I can't connect to Battle.Net? Please, message me on inbox and help me if you can. I'm really having issues with this newest patch. Thanks in advice.
Is your copy pirated?

Hey Anaxie,good to see you again.

We're also glad that we can release a full storyline this time.

Remaking Resurrection of the Scourge would be a massive thing to do that unfortunately cannot happen until we're done with Malfurion's Quest entirely.

Even after MQ is finished, we plan to release a few major updates for it such as bonus missions, new difficulty levels and rewards upon completion as well as prequel episodes involving other characters that are tied to MQ
Sweet deal. Love more and more content!.

Level 6
That literally says nohing of value

You want something of value? Well, I am among the smartest in my class, or I am not virgin since.., can't remember actually, was long time ago, unlike some people...
Oh, you mean about Warcraft 3, v1.29? When I load my project in 1.29, it's all messed up. And I am pretty confident, that it's not my fault.
Like... really confident. Like... when they ask you if the 1.29 version you had is pirated and you damn well know where you got it from.
But it's much better like this - "No issues here, 1.29 is simply messed up."
Simple, short, clear.
You know, you are the third person today, who makes me write something longer and then not gonna like it. If you already knew you won't like it, then don't make me say anything. Anymore.

Level 1
hey guys if i may ask is there any progress with campaign? just wondering and want to know when the next patch is going to be released thanks in advance:)

Level 17
at this production rate, i will pretty much forget about this campaign and come back to visit it in mid 2019, even then i'd have my fingers crossed.
and i dont even want to update myself on the story whenever a single new mission is out, i hate to spoil myself.
good luck to all the development team i guess.

i also hope the other already done campaign's don't have any issues with the new patch, cuz how slow all of this may be its safe to say one can come back a year later and just pick up and play all the 4 campaign's from scratch and have a ton of fun because its basically an entirely new game with quality much higher then wc3's base campaign's.

Last edited:
Level 14
at this production rate, i will pretty much forget about this campaign and come back to visit it in mid 2019, even then i'd have my fingers crossed.
and i dont even want to update myself on the story whenever a single new mission is out, i hate to spoil myself.

i also hope the other already done campaign's don't have any issues with the new patch, cuz how slow all of this may be its safe to say one can come back a year later and just pick up and play all the 4 campaign's from scratch and have a ton of fun because its basically an entirely new game with quality much higher then wc3's base campaign's.

You have Malfurions Quest, Resurrection of the Scourge Revamp, an update to Day of the Dragon, Legacy of the Master, Chasing the Dawn, Curse of Forsaken 3.0, Arthas Campaign- Orcs, Legends of Arkain 2nd Edition campaigns to look forward too.

And then if RazorclawX surprise releases a 9th campaign in the Wanderers of Sorceria series on CampaignCreations.org

Level 7

For those who didn't keep up with some of the updates and discussions, we've posted on here: Malfurion's Quest has been significantly improved and we're getting close to finalizing the last two chapters of the Highbourne storyline before it gets released in its entirety. You will get to play it in 2019.

how are the successes with the creation? how soon to wait for 1.04b?

We're currently working on Chapter 9 and doing the best to finalize it before moving to the final chapter. Overall there are five things left to do:
1: Finish Chapter 9
2: Complete Chapter 10
3: Complete Highborne Epilogue
4: Rework some of the things and issues that popped up due to the newest patch
5: Test and rework a few chapters, fix dialogue, gameplay, make sure it's in a good playable state

Overall since we started working on the newest version, a lot of things in the Campaign have been changed and it is moving forward even though sometimes it can be a little bit slow.
Bear with us, this project will be complete.

Edit: One last thing I want to add. The Sentinel storyline was currently untouched. While we're working on a script for it, a new one, that's supposed to be better and introduce new characters, the only version that will be currently released it's the Highbourne branch. When that one is released and working, we will focus on the Sentinel storyline exclusively, changing some of the chapter names, story and add way more content to it which is what we've done with the Highbourne storyline as well.

My apologies if some of this is taking too long but we want to make sure it is better than before, good in quality and provides an original storyline of the alternative universe of War3 and be the best Campaign of Turnro's (period).

Last edited:
Level 30
Hey guys, just a few things I'd like to mention. As stated previously by FallenStar, Malfurion's Quest is well and truly being worked on and the campaign has come a long way since the release of v1.3b last year. I was hoping to release an update video on the current progress, but I decided to finish Chapter 9 first before doing that (which is almost finished). I realize I haven't been on the forums much revealing the maps that are being worked on, and I'll see what I can do about it in the future. However, by no means has the development on Malfurion's Quest slowed in any way in comparison to previous years. The only real change since last year was the decision to not release maps incrementally anymore, but rather when entire story-lines are complete. More details on this will be revealed soon, but the Highborne story path will be finished and released later this year.

I would also like to mention a few updates the Highborne will be receiving in the next patch, which involves fine-tuning some unit spells and items. They will also be getting some new units that will be available at tier-3, though who these units are will remain hidden for the time being ;)

Orb of Sight
full

The Clerics will be getting a new ability to replace Power Shield, providing some much needed versatility to the Highborne faction. The problem with Power Shield is that it is a weaker version of the Battle Maiden's Frost Shield spell, making it completely pointless. The new proposed ability, Orb of Sight, will allow Clerics to summon orbs at a target location to reveal a large area of the map. These orbs can be used to spy on your enemies or even warn you of enemy forces coming to attack your base. In light of this change, Orb of Sight will become the Cleric's default ability and Mass Heal now requires Adept Training before usage.

Other small changes to the Highborne include:
  • Arcane Golems now deal siege damage, making them excellent base siege units in the late game
  • Removed the Reveal ability from the Town Hall and Towers
  • Revised the items for sale at the Vault of Power, which involves moving and replacing some existing ones from v1.3b

I am also heavily considering to change a spell or two for the Enchantress, who does suffer from some of her spells overlapping with other units abilities. While I do have a few ideas in mind, nothing is set in stone at the moment. However, expect to see additional changes to the Highborne and more with the release of the next update :)

Level 3
Hey guys, just a few things I'd like to mention. As stated previously by FallenStar, Malfurion's Quest is well and truly being worked on and the campaign has come a long way since the release of v1.3b last year. I was hoping to release an update video on the current progress, but I decided to finish Chapter 9 first before doing that (which is almost finished). I realize I haven't been on the forums much revealing the maps that are being worked on, and I'll see what I can do about it in the future. However, by no means has the development on Malfurion's Quest slowed in any way in comparison to previous years. The only real change since last year was the decision to not release maps incrementally anymore, but rather when entire story-lines are complete. More details on this will be revealed soon, but the Highborne story path will be finished and released later this year.

I would also like to mention a few updates the Highborne will be receiving in the next patch, which involves fine-tuning some unit spells and items. They will also be getting some new units that will be available at tier-3, though who these units are will remain hidden for the time being ;)

Orb of Sight
full

The Clerics will be getting a new ability to replace Power Shield, providing some much needed versatility to the Highborne faction. The problem with Power Shield is that it is a weaker version of the Battle Maiden's Frost Shield spell, making it completely pointless. The new proposed ability, Orb of Sight, will allow Clerics to summon orbs at a target location to reveal a large area of the map. These orbs can be used to spy on your enemies or even warn you of enemy forces coming to attack your base. In light of this change, Orb of Sight will become the Cleric's default ability and Mass Heal now requires Adept Training before usage.

Other small changes to the Highborne include:
  • Arcane Golems now deal siege damage, making them excellent base siege units in the late game
  • Removed the Reveal ability from the Town Hall and Towers
  • Revised the items for sale at the Vault of Power, which involves moving and replacing some existing ones from v1.3b

I am also heavily considering to change a spell or two for the Enchantress, who does suffer from some of her spells overlapping with other units abilities. While I do have a few ideas in mind, nothing is set in stone at the moment. However, expect to see additional changes to the Highborne and more with the release of the next update :)

Hello, Turnro.
I know you both still continuing with the proggres, so this is what I'm going to say.
In my opinion, I kind of aggred about the Power Shield, unless you add something else or change it, the Orb of Sight seems to work like the Witch Doctor's Sentry ability, but that 'orb' will work like the Scout Owl spell, right? I mean, invisible, movable, can detect invisible units, like that. Pretty good to replace the Reveal ability.
As for the Enchantress, an idea could be changing Slow to a totem-like spell that slow units in an area, like the Earthbind spell, so the Enchantress' default ability coukd be that magic barrier. the second the one I mentioned and the third that crushing wave, would be that ok?

Level 6
I think that in general, RTS abilities should rely on utility and if they have any damage or debuffs associated with them, they should be avoidable skillshots (so no point and click or hitscan). War3 has a lot of ambient damage in its abilities and weapons as it stands so making abilities that rely more on terrain or interaction with distance (e.g. a damage skillshot that has a different interaction if it passes through multiple enemies compared to when it hits one or zero targets) increase the skill ceiling of your project and open up more avenues for players to express their own skill (or lack thereof). Especially if you plan on including micro missions in your campaign, I'd highly recommend you add enough complexity to warrant the removal of the macro process, something Blizzard did very poorly in their own missions. This would mean designing entire kits for the heroes that would be controlled in those missions or something of that scale, which wouldn't play nice if that exact system were introduced to the macro space, so it's certainly not an easy puzzle to solve.

I say all of this without knowing what the previous state of MQ was as I have not played it. As a designer in the SCBW space I spend a lot of time thinking about the abilities I program in for my heroes and any new units I add to the mix, especially since reviving heroes is not an option I include and any new complexity to the existing play pattern really needs to justify itself. In War3 you can stand to make heroes less powerful if you include the revival mechanic, since part of the reason they'd otherwise need to have such an extreme power budget is that their death is a defeat condition. You can also balance casters around the armor system of War3 as they'll traditionally do a lot of damage to heavy armor units due to their attack type, this giving them less visible power budget than when you have a bunch of really effective spells. What it comes down to is what you want to accomplish with your design of the units in question, and I'm interested in what the final result will be since it seems you're giving extra dev time specifically to avoid recycling spell ideas and combat roles across multiple units/races.

Good luck with the project, and feel free to reach out if you need any testing or feedback.

Level 30
Hey guys! Last week I mentioned having a look at revising the Enchantress' spells to give them more unique abilities and better utility. To me, the one spell that definitely needs changing is Prismatic Wave (Crushing Wave). Not only does this ability overlap with Malfurion's Firewave ability, but it is also imbalanced from a unit perspective. My thoughts at the moment involve replacing it with the following spell:

Counterspell
full

A single target ability that silences an enemy unit, preventing them from casting spells for 30 seconds. To me, this spell suits the Enchantress who is a master of manipulating magic. Counterspell also provides a unique utility to the Highborne that is useful in both a campaign and multiplayer setting.

This is so far my thoughts in regards to the Enchantress' spells for the next update of Malfurion's Quest. If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Level 15
And maybe reduce their attack speed next to that silence? While, silence is good, I feel like giving like 100 mana for only that effect is rarely gonna be used. In WC3 the biggest problem were always casters, were majority of the time is better to kill units with a brute force, instead of trying some funky spell combos...

Level 27
I don't mind silence, or silence alikes. A good option to enhance the general effect is making enemies with Flame arrow type of spells and divide their normal damage to 50% between the normal attack and arrow attack.

For example a Satyr with 60 of attack, 30 being base attack, and the other 30 magic attack. When silenced you not only removed their ability to cast magic, but halved their damage output.

Level 1
If you're going to remove the wave ability from the Enchantress, maybe you could instead give it to Malfurion? Honestly, being an arcane mage, it would fit him infinitely better than Firewave, which is frankly kind of boring. The idea of Counterspell is nice, though.

On Orb of Sight - I honestly think its use is too niche to be worth it. Scouting abiities aren't too valuable in single player, maybe you could give them another abilitiy inspired by WoW priests?

Level 30
Hey guys! This is just a quick message to say that I've recently completed Chapter 9 for the Highborne story-line! This leaves the final mission, as well as the epilogue, left to do before finishing the Highborne story maps.

full

I will soon release a video explaining my future plans for Malfurion's Quest, as well as details about v1.4b. Until then, stay tuned ;)

Level 29
Hey guys! This is just a quick message to say that I've recently completed Chapter 9 for the Highborne story-line! This leaves the final mission, as well as the epilogue, left to do before finishing the Highborne story maps.

full

These are good news.

So Medivh will ask the Aspects for help against Malfurion and his Highborne?

I dearly hope that in the end of the Highborne storyline, Malfurion endures a painful and slow death

When can we expect to play the full Highborne storyline?

Level 6
These are good news.

I dearly hope that in the end of the Highborne storyline, Malfurion endures a painful and slow death

We can expect either he and the highborne will get rekt or the highborne general left malfurion with Velinde Starstrike

Level 29
We can expect either he and the highborne will get rekt or the highborne general left malfurion with Velinde Starstrike

I hope this happens:
Malfurion is putted on the ropes and is forced to ask his followers for help. However, by this time the Highborne had realized that Malfurion merely sees them as pawns to be sacrificed for his lust for power and they let Medivh and the Aspects deal with him.
Malfurion is then stripped of all the power he had gathered from consuming several sources, alongside his own magic and is sentenced to Azeroth's version of the punishment that people endured in Tartaros on the Greek Mythology.

I started really hating this Malfurion after
-He killed the Furbolgs
-He killed Tyrande
-He killed Illidan in such cruel and sadistic way

Level 7
These are good news.

The newest patch has caused a couple of issues with our previous Campaign maps, we'll have to go over them one more time.

Remember that the Sentinel storyline will be released after the highbourne storyline and they're both total opposites of each other.

We'll focus on chapter 10 and try our best to cover as many bugs/glitches in the previous maps and release it.

No time yet but we're getting close for certain.

Level 4
It has taken a while, but I have finally created a map forum for Malfurion's Quest for all your info during the campaign's development progress!

It has been a long time since the Demo Version was released, and so I apologize to all players if I have been slow. I do not have as much time to work on Warcraft 3 campaigns as I used to, but that hasn't stopped me from working on Malfurion's Quest :)

Above all, I hope you all enjoy the next map I have finished for Warcraft 3 :)

so game update is complete or it's still under progressed ?

Can I play the Highborne storyline...?? hahahaha or needed to be completed the Sentinel Storyline...
The newest one is yet to be released.

In the current release, you need to play chapter two twice to get both sides unlocked. It all depends on the decision made in this chapter.

Level 4
hey loved this game just completed today
it was awesome and story line is interesting...u added nice story to choose between good or bad malfurion
but any idea when next update will come ?

Level 10
hey loved this game just completed today
it was awesome and story line is interesting...u added nice story to choose between good or bad malfurion
but any idea when next update will come ?
The creators are working on the final chapter of highborne storyline and will notify us as soon as they finish up. I suggest that the rest read the previous replies or check the main thread in page (1) because there is no use everyone asking the same questions times and times again.

Level 6
The creators are working on the final chapter of highborne storyline and will notify us as soon as they finish up. I suggest that the rest read the previous replies or check the main thread in page (1) because there is no use everyone asking the same questions times and times again.

He's new.

Level 3
Hey, Turnro and FallenStar, finally glad to know that you both are just one step to finish the Highbourne storyline, the new abilities for the Cleric and Enchantress are OK, but those have to be tested so we can be convinced, of course.
I was thinking on the 'Tree Form' of Malfurion, as far as I can remember, you said it was going to 'raise' the capabilities of the healing spells, but have you though of having diferent spells while in Tree Form? I mean, while in Tree Form, Malfurion can have some diferent spells from the ones he had in normal form for a short time, including an aura to friendly units, perhaps some druidic spells, not sure what could those be but it could be an option for the Sentinel storyline, right?

Level 7
Hey, Turnro and FallenStar, finally glad to know that you both are just one step to finish the Highbourne storyline, the new abilities for the Cleric and Enchantress are OK, but those have to be tested so we can be convinced, of course.
I was thinking on the 'Tree Form' of Malfurion, as far as I can remember, you said it was going to 'raise' the capabilities of the healing spells, but have you though of having diferent spells while in Tree Form? I mean, while in Tree Form, Malfurion can have some diferent spells from the ones he had in normal form for a short time, including an aura to friendly units, perhaps some druidic spells, not sure what could those be but it could be an option for the Sentinel storyline, right?

We stated before that the Tree Form and its current abilities are something we'll most likely change in the future.
As for the units in the highborne version, we have a couple of testers who will check out the entire Highborne campaign before release and based on their feedback we'll fix whatever we can so you can play a version free of bugs or gameplay issues.