• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Making WE run faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Introduction:(tl;dr version on bottom)
Hi, I'm currently using NewGen WE from Jass New Gen Pack 5d with jass helper 0.A.2.B and when I was switching my PC to a new one I thought it will make WE faster/less laggy, but it didn't. WE is almost the same on both PC's
first pc was: AMD Athlon 1x2,6GHz, 1GB RAM, radeon HD4850 and current PC is: AMD FX 8350 (8x4,0GHz), 8GB RAM(2x4gb Kingston HyperX Predator 1866mhz), radeon r9 270 (2GB). I'm wondering, is there any way to push WE to it's limits with such powerful(for warcraft) PC, or I've already reached the limits of WE and it's just laggy.
I'm aware that map is big, uses A LOT of triggers, doodads, cameras, regions, weather effects and the list goes on, but I hoped that new pc will be able handle it well, so I guess the problem is on the WE side, not on the PC side.

When does it lag?
- Placing units (little lag)
- Moving units (medium/heavy lag)
- Moving/pasting massive amounts of units(huge lag)
- Changing terrain height(huge lag)
- Some random situations(little/medium lag)
- When something is selected(and ready to place)

What Have I already done to reduce the lags?
- Changed WE process priority to High
- Turned off Brush List(if you haven't done it yet, JUST DO IT)
- Tried using ctrl+t, ctrl+d, ctrl+u, but it doesn't reduce the lag at all.
- Making one core dedicated only for WE(doesn't change anything)
- "You can disable the minimap. This removes the periodic 1-2 second lag on large maps (the one that happens even when you don't do anything)."

I've looked for the solution, and every tutorial says "Turn off Brush list, set priority", that's why I'm asking here, does anyone know any other tricks to reduce WE lags, or do you know any tools that perform better than JNGP?

TL;DR version:
My editor lags, do you know any way to improve it's performance(brush list already turned off).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Level 5
Doesn't make any difference in my case :/. But maybe that will help someone who will read that, I'll add that to first post, thanks.

Level 19
I hoped that 8 cores will be able handle it well
wc3 has been made when not even single dual-core was available for PC users. wc3 works on single core and will never use any other cores. So thats pretty limits it's perfomance on systems based on weak multicores.
I have nothing to add on topic, only suggest to move into raw editing if WE won't help you. I didn't touch WE since ages.

Level 5
wc3 has been made when not even single dual-core was available for PC users. wc3 works on single core and will never use any other cores. So thats pretty limits it's perfomance on systems based on weak multicores.
I have nothing to add on topic, only suggest to move into raw editing if WE won't help you. I didn't touch WE since ages.

You're tottaly right, My mistake, I didn't mean that the 8 cores will make 1 core app run faster, dunno why I wrote it like that. I should say that the FX will handle it (more cache, faster clock) and also addition of ram will improve the performance. It's a very shameful mistake for someone who is soon-to-be called "IT technician" (don't know english words for this). I started to look for a way to somehow make use of the other cores, so far I just assigned a core just for WE. Sadly AMD's module architecture doesn't allow anything like "Reverse Hyper Threading" and make one module act like one core. I guess only way to make true use of multiple cores is to make new World Editor that uses multiple cores, and that is pointless :p.

Level 25
I think you misunderstood me here:
- Turned off Object Editor(and also all additional WE windows, including tool palette) - suggested by LordDz

I meant the OBJECT MANAGER, not the OBJECT EDITOR. :)

Level 5
I think I have to go on a holiday...
My question is... How? I only see the Object Menager (F11) and don't have it open, is there something more to disable?

Level 21
As my tutorial's name says, it's more oriented toward loading times. Although one piece of advice always goes - Keep the brush list off. It reloads every time you make a change in object editor, which takes quite a lot of power.

It seems that your problem comes from rendering or something related to it. Basically everything that forces the editor to reevaluate how it draws the terrain and things on it or possibly the terrain geometry. This part of the editor scales quite poorly and I don't know of anything that would help.

Level 5
So I guess there are no way to reduce the lags. However for terrain I found some tools on hive (3rd party editor and highmap to terrain converter) that don't lag like WE does when doing the terrains.
I have to live with the lags and finish the project like that, thanks everyone for answers.

So I guess there are no way to reduce the lags. However for terrain I found some tools on hive (3rd party editor and highmap to terrain converter) that don't lag like WE does when doing the terrains.
I have to live with the lags and finish the project like that, thanks everyone for answers.
Or you can read my post and check out if that solves the problem.

Level 15
I avoid using the World Editor except for Terrain or referencing certain Objects / getting coordinates.

There's a Lua plugin that lets you create custom objects on the fly, and in my experience custom objects were what took up all the time in the World Editor.

Level 5
Custom Objects are fine in WE for me. The real problem is in fact terrain and moving/placing units :p.

Custom Objects are fine in WE for me. The real problem is in fact terrain and moving/placing units :p.
Unfortunately, this is something you have to live with.
The editor will get slower and slower the more objects you have placed.

Reducing the number of objects would help. You could for example create preplaced units via script or replace destructable pathing blockers with doodad pathing blockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.