• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Could someone help me reduce the lag in my map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I am aware of leaks and the problem isn't leaks but how to reduce the amount of lag of massive amount of units on the screen. It's ok if it lags but I want it reduced. Any suggestions? By turning off Collision it reduces the lag to an extend but are there other solutions too?

Level 17
He's trying to optimize his map, not improving his own gaming experience :p

And sorry, but I don't know any ways to reduce mass unit lag.
If you can't find any means you might want to try a model squisher. I think that not only compresses your models' texture quality but also removes some polies, but I'm not sure if I'm right about that.

Level 19
No, it's not custom units only. When there are many units on the map your Graphics Card has to work much more. I doubt that custom units would lag the map more than standard Blizzard models with the same characteristics (same particle/poly count, etc.).

So if I modify some units and reduce their poly a lot will the unit lag be reduced dramatically?

A normal computer should handle 200,000 triangles at a time(and obviously, only those that are being rendered), models aren't anything to worry, unless you be using models with more than 1000 triangles.

and no, MDX squisher DOES NOT reduce polygons, it just changes normals and vertexes data in the MDXs binary format so they can be optimized by MPQs.

If you want to reduce the lag in your map, you may have to improve your scripting. 95% of the times lag occurs for bad algorithms. Leaks only waste memory, but bad algorithms waste CPU power, and that is even more important.

Level 19
A normal computer should handle 200,000 triangles at a time(and obviously, only those that are being rendered), models aren't anything to worry, unless you be using models with more than 1000 triangles.

and no, MDX squisher DOES NOT reduce polygons, it just changes normals and vertexes data in the MDXs binary format so they can be optimized by MPQs.

If you want to reduce the lag in your map, you may have to improve your scripting. 95% of the times lag occurs for bad algorithms. Leaks only waste memory, but bad algorithms waste CPU power, and that is even more important.

My new map will almost not be using triggers at all so I don't know... It'll mostly be based on massive unit battles etc. Also I'm pretty good at making efficient triggers yeah...

Level 5
just look for unwanted LEAKS and delete them, there is a programe u can get to check where LEAKS are in ur map... but i dont know where to get it, try searching in google!

Status
Not open for further replies.