• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reducing lag for custom maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
It seems I am experiencing cluster lag in my MTG Magus map. It is a 1 - 5 player map, where each player can easily aquire 50 - 100 units resulting in failry large battles at times. I have capped the unit limit for each player to keep the numbers down, but does the amount of units on a map contribute to lag? Or is it usually the triggers causing the lag?

I do use many periodic events, and many when a unit is attacked events. So I am pretty sure I have many events firing quite frequently. Does this cause lag issues?

Regarding periodic events... Is it better to turn these triggers off well chances of the trigger firing are minimal?

Is it very wise to use 'when a unit is attacked' events especially in a map where there will be larger battles? Or should I find another way to input the abilities for units?

Any help with lag issues well triggering would be a great help.

Level 31
If you want to improve the script to get rid of the FPS drops, you should move to vjass.

Likely, the drops are a result of memory leaks and too many events firing. In Golem Wars, you could easily have 200 units per player with no FPS drops.

If you decide to stick with GUI, you should start cutting features out of your map to make it playable ; ). If you want to keep all your features, then you have to become a master coder ;p.

Well, even with meh coding skills, you should be able to make your map playable ; D.

Btw, I have a map where 600 units could be firing on hundreds of units 10x a second with on attack events and I get 0 fps drops ;p. I also have many, many periodic events: 5+ per unit that run a minimum of 10x a second. Believe me, you are nowhere near the limits of the wc3 engine with what you are doing ^)^. This just goes to show you how bad GUI is ;p.

Oh, did I mention that I have many on death events as well? Early game stuff with just 1 player could easily have 300 units up ^)^. In late game, you could possibly be looking at 1500. The only time it starts to lower the fps is when there are so many units clumped together that my graphics card can't handle it ;D. The script never ever freezes up the game ^^.

So again, if you want to keep all of your features, move to vjass. If you want to stay on GUI, then start cutting features out ; ).

Status
Not open for further replies.