• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

-- M0rbid's NEW Showcase --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
184486-albums3456-picture38186.png

"Impressionism means taking inspiration directly from nature, trusting your senses rather than what you think you know."
(Michael McClure)

Welcome to the thread where I do present you my terrains. Take a look around and feel free to leave a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I would like to improve by your feedback and see what you like and dislike about the terrains.
Just to leave a few words to my newest terrains. I started to work a lot on lightning lately. Especially on how to get more intense light effects, reflection and so on. To artistically underline the whole terrain I nearly overdo the highlights a bit to express what the atmosphere is like more intensly. This technique is inspired by the Impressionism a lot.
Anyways, enjoy looking through the thread. Every new piece has a little explanation to go along with it, which you can find right under the corresponding image. If you want more information about a specific terrain, feel free to contact me.

--
184486-albums3456-picture40985.jpg
This is the very early WiP for a terrain challenge against Dr. House. Fog and waterfall model are only placeholders. --- Decided to still finish it, even though the challenge is over for a long time

--

184486-albums3575-picture38076.png
This terrain is a tribute to FarCry 1, a game that was really stunning in otpcial but also gameplay terms back in its times. I can remember who often I gazed at the beautiful islands of the FarCry universe in amazment. However this terrain was not only done to recreate FarCry, but also to add my own atmosphere and transfer a very intense lightling atmosphere into a Warcraft3 Terrain.

184486-albums3575-picture38081.png
While this was meant to be another tribute to the CryEngine. It turned out to become way more for me. I figured out a lot about reflection and lightning and about how far this can be improved to impress something with a terrain. I realized that there are quite unused possibilities in it and this terrain is meant to be a first try on how to work this out. However it is far from what I am looking for someday.

184486-albums3575-picture38094.png
While my previous terrains dealt with the effects of the sun this terrain now was influenced by a dark atmosphere with many different lightsources coming out of the crystals. I focused on creating a diffuse look onto a lost city, that somehow seemed to be linked to the mysterious diamonds.

184486-albums3575-picture38176.png
This terrain was created as a representation of the place where I do live back in 1930. I tried to express the beauty of industry within nature, but also the contrast between industry and untouched nature, that fascinated so many artists and photgraphs already. Also this terrain is a continuation of improving my light and reflection placement.

184486-albums3575-picture38738.png
This terrain was another hard piece of work. I am not satisfied with the outcome, but I learned a lot, while doing it. Basically I tried a few things. First off, I wanted to create lighteffects (reflections) without showing the sky. Normally the sky is one thing that gives a lot of atmosphere to a terrain, doing a terrain without a sky is a hard task, especially with a camera angle from above. This is why I thought of this concept. On a second note I tried a totally new composition, dividing the terrain into two parts by colour, reflection and atmosphere, but taking a bit of the smaller one into the bigger one, which should be focused on (the forgotten one).

184486-albums3575-picture38891.png
U - 571 is my first terrain were I really created an underwater terrain, my main aim was to try lightning and lightningreflection techniques underwater and get a nice composition working, in this case I tried to aim for the u boat to come out of the deep blue of the water into the foreground, which underlines the u boats function and it's appearance in war and water. Credits to Illidan(Evil)X for the u boat. Enjoy.

184486-albums3575-picture38927.png
I had in mind to draw something like this for a long time, but then the idea popped into my mind to terrain it as a sillhouette terrain, in fact my first one. I am not so happy with the overall outcome off this, but I loved some of the things, especially the composition and the expression behind the whole work, so I decided to upload it for you to take a look.

184486-albums3575-picture39242.png
Yggdrasil, the worldtree of the norse mythology always fascinated me. So I decided to make a terrain about it. What I tried to do is showing the base of this epic sized terrain, the part that is placed in the underworld and therefore is the connection between world and dead.

184486-albums3575-picture39435.png
Doing this terrain I aimed for a more artistic touch to my terraining, something that does not any longer aim for a realistic looking landscape or only an impressionism version of a landscape, but something more abstract, artistic and meaningful terrain. I am pretty happy with the outcome, but I am sure that there is lot of space to improve here. However I will stick to this idea for sure so comments are really appreciated.

184486-albums3575-picture41132.png
This terrain was made for the terraining challenge against Dr. House. Theme was Forrest/Nature

184486-albums3575-picture45624.png
This one is a totally new technique I tried, working a custom sky into a terrain piece and trying to get a fluid and fitting look to it, to increase realism of terrains, the foreground will be updated though, if I should ever find the time to terrain again.

184486-albums3456-picture45056.png
Contests, Contests, Contests, for the Horror Contest, mainly some fiddling with oGre's stuff, retinting mostly, also tried a pyramidhe@d with black glow models. Will see, if I ever come back to this technique.

184486-albums3575-picture32740.jpg

184486-albums3575-picture32416.jpg

184486-albums3575-picture32417.jpg

184486-albums3575-picture32420.jpg

184486-albums3575-picture32419.jpg

Last edited:
Level 7
Welcome back to Hive and WC III M0rbid. I enjoyed your works, they are all supreme works. 1 question : Those Catalysm works are from contest right?
Well anyway, pictures are nice, your back, everything is good. Cant wait to see your new works.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
A Trader's Tale
The entire terrain is more of a model showcase than a terrain really, if you don't mind me saying.
There is no atmosphere and nothing interesting enough to catch my eye.
It isn't that it's generally bad, it's just nothing at all.

Good
Sadly, I can't think of anything really positive to say on this one.
It just needs so much more effort put into it.

Bad
- No point of interest
This was really hard to rate as I had nothing to go on really.
I'll just spend more time on the other reviews.
After Cataclysm
I really enjoy this particular piece of the two.
The trick with the bridges works really well in my oppinion.
Good
+ Fun playfulness with the rope bridges
+ Sky merges quite well with the terrain

Bad
- The firelord model is oversized, and shouldn't even be there in the first place
- Trees are too plain as they are now
- Background trees appears transparent in various spots
- The red glow doesn't quite cover its target in various spots, for example the dead tree in the front
- Generally a bit messy
The picture is actually quite appealing, it just needs some tending to.
Lost Diamond

This is by far one of your best. The atmosphere is truly in full bloom.
There are some technical issues about it, which might degrade it to some extent however.
To say the execution is lacking would be a disgrace, however some matters did catch my eye.
The use of fog is a love/dislike situation.
It isn't completely flawless, however the overall look of the terrain takes your mind off it.
The uncanny spam of skulls in the frost is a beautiful idea, however the impression it gives doesn't really cut it in my oppinion.
Perhaps this is due to the quality of the model.
The use of the blight effect however is beautiful.
To sum things up.
Good
+ Atmosphere
+ Lighting (Fog, Glow, Cinematic Effects)
+ Depth (Doesn't appear flat at all)
+ Placement
Bad
+/- Skulls (Mostly the poor quality of the model)
+/- Crystals (Might be too many of them, yet they still look quite appealing)

- Mountains (For some reason they didn't cut it for me
- Waterfalls (I don't really see a reason for them being added in the first place)

Last edited:
Level 23
Thank you for your comments so far.

@fladdermasken. Thank you for the review. Plus rep. However some users do not totally agree with you about the trader's tale picture. But anyways ;)

NEWS: I have uploaded my FIRST SERIOUS NEW TERRAIN!!! I think there is a lot of room for improvement though. But still, take a look and enjoy.
This terrain is devoted to FarCry and the CryEngine in general.
I'll lateron update this picture once with a new skin for the sand.
Enjoy and feel free to leave a comment ;)

Level 15
The farcry terrain looks really cool, love the jungle look. Two things though:

trees on the hill in the background look really bad, like they were just spammed all over a hill with no detail doodads or other features. I would reccomend putting some major physical feature on the hill or covering it with more trees and foliage so it looks alot more covered.

The way the water clips up (makes that straight angle) on the right side of the bank just before the waterfall looks weird.

BTW the sky on the Gorge's Guardian is just beautiful. The purple hues and the sun's rays on the water, everything was just done right in that sky.

Level 23
Thanks for commenting.
Another work added.
I realized that there is also a Cryengine2 :p

I'm however not totally lucky with this piece, but since the editor is lagging like hell with it, I won't be able to improve it anymore. But still, take a look at Africa.
Enjoy

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Updated my review.

Lost Diamond

This is by far one of your best. The atmosphere is truly in full bloom.
There are some technical issues about it, which might degrade it to some extent however.
To say the execution is lacking would be a disgrace, however some matters did catch my eye.
The use of fog is a love/dislike situation.
It isn't completely flawless, however the overall look of the terrain takes your mind off it.
The uncanny spam of skulls in the front is a beautiful idea, however the impression it gives doesn't really cut it in my oppinion.
Perhaps this is due to the quality of the model.
The use of the blight effect however is beautiful.
To sum things up.
Good
+ Atmosphere
+ Lighting (Fog, Glow, Cinematic Effects)
+ Depth (Doesn't appear flat at all)
+ Placement
Bad
+/- Skulls (Mostly the poor quality of the model)
+/- Crystals (Might be too many of them, yet they still look quite appealing)

- Mountains (For some reason they didn't cut it for me
- Waterfalls (I don't really see a reason for them being added in the first place)

Level 15
In the Farcry 2 picture the rocks in the background have a notably unnatural formation. Also I don't like that barrens rock to the right of the left tree (it just doesn't match the other models).

Other than that, everything else looks great in it.

Level 8
OK I will do a review (as best I can, I'm not that good at terraining myself) of your newest screenshot, 1930.

Then maybe you can review my terrain screenshot which I've linked since no one else will, though it has no sky so don't judge it on that :). Its the last post http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/outland-risk-terrain-183065/

Now that my shameless plug is over, I will review 1930. I'm not nearly the amazing reviewer as Mr. Snoopy over there, so I'll just list it out as Likes/Dislikes, since its really an opinion, not fact. I'll also start with Dislikes, because I like to end on a high note :).

Dislikes
-- I think you used too much glow/lighting effects on this one. It looks like the cities on fire at some parts, which would be cool and kind of fits with Medivh raising his fist like "Why God Why!?!?" but you weren't going for a fire effect, so I think you should tone down the orange lighting.
-- All of the sheep have orange orbs floating above them. I'm pretty sure its just a side effect of the orange lighting, but it looks weird to me.
-- This is a small thing, but I would remove that meat or whatever that red thing is that's at the bottom of Medivh's feet. I find it distracting and out of place.

-- Real nice use of light here, it totally comes off as a beautiful morning sunrise, or would that be sunset? Now that I think about it, it does look more like a sunset. I think you used the mist or whatever that is really well too. It creates a good effect for an actual sunset with blaring orange in the middle where the sun is, and then it gets dimmer and less intense the further from the sun it is. It's a bit too orange in my opinion where the city is. I've personally never seen the sunset emit such a strong glow over city buildings to the point where the buildings are hardly even distinguishable, but it produces an interesting effect. It almost appears like the buildings are trees apart of the mountain, kind of like what you were going for I think. Where you see these Industrialist buildings entwined with nature's beauty (you actually said that the industrialist cities were beautiful, but I personally thought New York was very ugly, I see little beauty in cookie cutter big business buildings, homes are another story, there are some very stunning homes I've seen and probably other buildings, but I do not think big city buildings could ever compare to the beauty of nature).
-- OK that was a bit longer then I had intended, but I had a lot to say and well there it is.
-- Sky is also well done I think. I see some black hazziness mixed with the sunset glow, which I would expect from all those smoke stacks, though I would expect a little more black fog in the middle of the picture infront of medivh. I like the left very much for giving off a kind of "Industrialist Sunset" where I can easily see the black fog in the sky mixed with the beautiful glow of the sunset :). Though, as I said before, this does give off an odd effect where the buildings are glowing orange and are surrounded by the black fog, making it look almost like they are on fire.
-- The buildings are all nicely done and with the smoke stacks give me that perfect industry feeling.
-- I also think Medivh's location is really cool. It has a good balance to it, everything looks proportional, and I love that you added the sheep in. Campfire is also great for the scene. To me though, the trees look kind of wierd, the ones below him. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's because there's no trees at all and then suddenly there's a thick straight across wall of them. Might want to make them less linear, for as we know by looking at Darwinism, nature appears random. But we know better :). Actually the trees aren't that linear, I do see some height variation. I don't know what the problem is or if there even is any! It just looks out of place to me =P.
-- Again, I like Medivh's campsite. To me, it looks like Medivh has risen early in the morning, just started a fire and was about to cook his breakfest (a nice big slab of meat now lying on the dirt floor) when out comes the sunrise, and Medivh has turned to watch it, though he's still feeling a bit sleepy (judging by his right arm which, again to me, makes it look like he's yawning).

So yeah, a bit of a sloppy review as I said a lot without a lot of thought (though I did give it some :)) and its poorly organized but its the best I can do right now.

Overall I would give it a 4.5/5 review. My only problem with it is the on fire look the left side buildings have and the overall consistent look of the buildings. By this I mean that the left buildings are much more distinguishable and darker where as the right ones are heavily covered in the sunset's glow. This seems natural to point, as the position of the sun explains most of this. But it seems like too heavy of a contrast between the left and right side. I would like to see a version with less of an intense glow over the buildings on the left side and more of a gentle transition between the two sides minus the on fire look the left buildings have.

Argh I did it again! I made a huge mess of words. Well sorry you have to read through all that (assuming you did) but I hope at least SOME of it was helpful.

Good job mate, keep it up.

Level 23
OK I will do a review (as best I can, I'm not that good at terraining myself) of your newest screenshot, 1930.
........(Cutted this, to make the thread more readable).

Firstoff, thanks a lot for such a detailed review, plus rep for sure and thanks again, let me say a few words, too :p

-- I think you used too much glow/lighting effects on this one. It looks like the cities on fire at some parts, which would be cool and kind of fits with Medivh raising his fist like "Why God Why!?!?" but you weren't going for a fire effect, so I think you should tone down the orange lighting.

In fact, it might be true, that the glow effect is overused, however I always try to go for a light that might seem a bit overdone, but I go for it, to create and focus on an atmosphere I want to express with my terrain. Basically this terrain tries to show a sunset above industry... and the dust and metal of industrial buildings cause the sunset to get very intense, I experienced that myself, and I imagined this was even increased back when the industry around here was fully active. This is why I did go for a feeling close to a fire effect, because in my opinion you actually experience a sunset in such a location like that. Like for a moment the world and the industry, with all its metal covered in fog goes up in flames. Funny thing is, that the Medivh animation perfectly fits for a second idea that I wanted to express with this terrain. Around here there is a myth about how coal was found. It's about a shepherd that slept outside with his sheeps and the next morning he woked up, he still found embers in the fire pit of the last evening. He wondered why this was and found out, that some "strange stones " caused the fire to last that long. That's the myth of how coal was found. And this one shepherd is one of the symbols of my hometown. However what I wanted to express is how he would have looked at what he indirectly caused. The industry coming to his homespot.

-- All of the sheep have orange orbs floating above them. I'm pretty sure its just a side effect of the orange lighting, but it looks weird to me.
You are totally right about this one, this was not intended to look weird, however I need to improve this effect I guess, thanks for pointing out

Where you see these Industrialist buildings entwined with nature's beauty (you actually said that the industrialist cities were beautiful, but I personally thought New York was very ugly, I see little beauty in cookie cutter big business buildings, homes are another story, there are some very stunning homes I've seen and probably other buildings, but I do not think big city buildings could ever compare to the beauty of nature).
Well, what I was going for is not what today's industry does look like.
But this: http://www.nahraum.de/user/2479/60759_0.jpg
Speaking of this, it is stunning for me. Yes.

Note: I noticed all other points of your review aswell, but I wanted to limit my answer to the most important points in my opinion. Thanks again for taking the time for such a long comment. i appreciate that

Level 8
Your welcome M0rbid and yeah sorry it was so long some points were probably unneccessary, did you get a chance to look at the smv screenshot I posted?

I really did like 1930, and with your post I think I like it even more, but it makes me want to get a better picture of the actual city. Maybe you could do a terrain focused more on the city itself or something? Just an idea because that screenshot you posted of real 1930s industrial buildings is very interesting in its own way, and does have a certain beauty to it.

Good story to the screenshot btw, the shephard bit was great. Might want to include that in your caption under the screenshot. Give us a little insight into the myth and then let us explore it with your screenshot :).

Good job man, too bad you're so busy! I could really use a guy like you.

Farcry: That grass is damn ugly! You should add a brighter grass model to fit with the sunset. Also, some details at the road, small rocks, almost flat grass and such.

Farcry2: I'm not liking the light spam at the river, Those trees are also ugly, but what can you do about it, try placing some high resolution trees, but I doubt they would fit in.

1930: Why are the heads of those sheeps glowing? :D

The lost Damned: I my option I think that the green glowing skulls don't look so good as blue/white glowing skulls WOULD. Try it out, also add some clouds.

Level 23
@ Oziris: Thanks for pointing those things out.

@nickel: Thank you, too. I will see what I can do. However I sometimes find it pretty hard to express what I wanted to show with my terrains in english, but I will try my best, to fix the description.
And I will take a look at your screenshot as soon as possible.

Level 6
It changed my mood from eager to sad because I didn't see any picture. I was eager checking this at home because I saw this thread at school. But when I arrived, I checked it out, but I didn't see any pictures. Whats the problem with me. :|. But one thing for sure, they're all astounding I swear, because of all the good comments it receives.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The Forgotten One
First, allow me to mention how cool this would be if you made it playable.
That out of the way, I can focus on my review.
The blocks of ice is a neat and creative idea, however it is relatively dominant as it is now.
The very brightness steals much of the focus away from the creature, which I believe to be the main attraction (Captain Obvious in action).
To balance this phenomena, placing rocks might help you. Beware however, don't overdo it in the opposite direction.
What I believe you truly achieved is the abyss, you fade it just excellently.
Good
+ SFX (Dramatic effects, which really enhances the atmosphere)
+ Abyss (Truly inspirational)
+ Creature (Generally a nice idea)
Bad
- Ice is too dominating (Steals the focus)
Conclusion
Conclusively, I must say you succeeded in impressing me. This is a very neat concept, even though the execution is modestly lacking.
As I previously mentioned, it would make a great scenario for a boss fight if you plan to make it playable.
The ice being domainating is actually something I hope you will face if you update this.
Overall, really nice work.

Last edited:
Level 11
i for one love the idea of the forgotten one,and how you made the ice like it was shattered
for feedback,fladder said all that you need to improve,and hell he did it better than i could ever do it
only thing that i could come up with is to make a better entrance,but i think thats just nip piking

Level 23
Yes, I just disliked the standard wc3 bubbles because for me they look not realistic enough.
However I will update this terrain. I already got permission of Illidan(Evil)X to reskin his u boat. And I have a new idea to get dynamic into it.
However more comments about this and all the other works are apreciated ;)

Level 14
Yes, I just disliked the standard wc3 bubbles because for me they look not realistic enough.
However I will update this terrain. I already got permission of Illidan(Evil)X to reskin his u boat. And I have a new idea to get dynamic into it.
However more comments about this and all the other works are apreciated ;)
Sadly nothing you used in that terrain is realistic at all D:..

Level 7
About the last picture, it is interesting, but kinda empty. I understand it must be like that, but to help a little i sugest 2 things:

Maybe raise the camera so more sky would be seen, would make it look better.

Add windows, or some crack(or maybe a gate, would look good in my opinion), so that some light could get through, and use the same style and make it little bit more detailed.

Waiting to see the update of U-571

Level 36
Right, so to make good on my promise.

You surely HAVE become a better terrainer, as you promised, but as I see it there are still some things that you should try to work on, and some habits I personally would want to see gone.

Firstly, I'd like to see less unit usage, it is extremely hard to make a terrain pleasant to look at when there are units on the screen, they just lack the quality needed for the terrain to look superb. What I'd also like to see you do is to become better at picking "the right" doodads, many of your chosen doodads are of extremely poor quality, one example being the brown rocks in "FarCry2".

You also have a tendency of making "crammed" terrains, meaning it seems like your trying to fit too many doodads into one terrain. You should really work on getting rid of that "spammed" feel over some of your terrains, like the grass in "FarCry2" and the crystals/rocks in "The Lost Diamond," be sure to either varie more (FarCry2) or spread out your doodads more (The Lost Diamond.) Appart from that I also think you should work more on making "realistic atmosohers" one example of what I mean about that is your "FarCry" terrain where it seems you made the fog yellow to make it look like sunlight, but in the end it simply looks like yellow fog, have you EVER seen yellow fog in any natural environment? And thats a general thing about atmospher, you always have to ask yourself "Does this look realistic?" before you find yourself satified with it.

In general, thats what I want you to work on, personally I think "All Along the Watchtower" is the best terrain, not only because I am a sucker for sihouette terrains, but because it IS the most clean terrain, it has all the right placements and the right atmospher to set the mood, for that one I say "very well done good sir" ^^

But overall, definetively an improvement from.. Well, your old work :)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Definitely a nice concept M0rbid, however the rocks in the foreground are very pointy and texture messy.
Disregarding the fact that some rocks are pointy here as well, I really like what you did to the background. Solid work indeed. It could do with some light effects for dramatic emphasis, however.

Level 7
The last picture is pretty nice. Backround is well done and i specialy like how you made small trees grow on the world tree. However i dislike the rock in frontground. they look bad, cause i can see the corners and those are sharp. Maybe remove them and add a forest there.

Status
Not open for further replies.