• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Last Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
This was something I always wanted to do, but didn't feel I had the skills to pull off until now: a hi-res reflection terrain. I really went all out on this one, combining a reflection with Rising_Dusk's epic Black Clouds, and, of course, some lighting techniques I've picked up. The goal of this terrain is simply to show the natural beauty of the world.

I think that this is probably my best terrain yet. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Attachments

• The Last Reflection2.png
    The Last Reflection2.png
    937.8 KB · Views: 369
Level 9
Who, where and what is an "alpha tile" :wink:

Dear Keiji and others. This is already third such question in two weeks time. I answered other two and would answer this one if I had time. Therefore, I raise the proposal of making a damn FAQ section which you can just link to such posts. If it exists, it for some reason eluded me, and therefore others too.

Alpha texturing = the art of painting in transparency ;)
Through some programs (image editing ones), you can create your image, which will have some channels. The 3 main channels are RGB = red, green, blue. There is also another one, alpha, which, when manipulated right, it will add transparency to some points of your texture. The black color defines transparency and the white color defines everything that stays in the picture. So, if you want to remove parts, simply go to the Alpha channel and while you're at it, get some black color to brush up the points you want to be invisible.
Here is an example (Keiji's signature):
cala.png

You can see that the background of the picture shares the background of the place you are going to set it. If Hiveworkshop had blue background, the background behind the letters would be blue.

@Oziris: OMG, LOOK AT NATURES TREE SPAM!¤#:
IMG_1582.jpg

Anyway, i like the white mist you added above the water, it gives a very eerie feel.
However, just as Keiji says, the forest looks flat, as if they were cardboard set-pieces for some theatre, and the water looks very still.
I'd also say that the sky feels very unproportional, and their size makes it feel like they were hanging straight above the set. Kinda like a forest fire.

What i suggest you to do is to add some waves at the beaches, and maybe check on how people like Megafyr does it to make the water look a bit more misty and untransparent.
Finally, fill in the holes between the trees with something interresting (or more trees), and change sky.

This is still nice work though, you have done so much terrain progression since first i saw you publish, and coming up with this whole reflection thing was a pretty big deal for terraining (i know it was you who started it). Good luck.

Fingolfin, what does Warcraft have to do with realistic nature? if you look in that way then his whole terrain is a fail :/ and yes, mother nature is a bad terrainer at some parts. When you want 999999 trees in your terrain to look good then you need to know how to place them correctly. Not in a line like Cobra did and then see an end of the world behind =/

The point of the picture i attached is to make you see some things before you go all crazy on me. To be honest Cobra your trees do not fit. You need more jungle trees like in the picture i attached and you can clearly see the reflection in this image so work on it a little more ;)

Attachments

• 65345010_4-WATER-FRONT-LAND-IN-COCHIN-MOOTHAKUNNAM-NEAR-SNM-ENGG-COLLEGE-Real-Estate.jpg
    65345010_4-WATER-FRONT-LAND-IN-COCHIN-MOOTHAKUNNAM-NEAR-SNM-ENGG-COLLEGE-Real-Estate.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 78
Level 14
There must be something you can do to the alpha tile itself to make the reflection less clear and "shaky".

The main flaw in my opinion is the reflection of the sand, the sand itself looks really cool tho.

Level 19
A spam of trees looks good and is natural if there is a variation in the trees. Nature handles that better than the lacking models wc3 has to offer. That means that if you want to use many of the same trees you gotta make them look different. I don't think Cobra did a bad job on the trees. Nature looks like that. However, I think the colors all together don't look that good, and the clouds look more like smoke. Also this terrain clearly needs some reflected background!!!

I agree with Megafyr. His terrains often contain tree "spam" at some degree, still, they look fantastic.

I think it is the general composition and camera angle of this terrain that makes it a bit uninterresting. Still, you shouldn't complain really, it's still a pretty nice piece, using many professional techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.