• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Narrat0r's First Terrain (with reflections)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I am glad to present The Hive Workshop my first terrain EVAR. I used the reflection tutorial.
Tell me what you think (personally, I don't like it)
UPDATE: Added tile variation and a little ground noise. Replaced rain with light wind.
firstterrainevar.png

Last edited:
Level 36
The problem with doing reflections this way is that you can see non-reflective surfaces right at the shoreline, you'd want to do something about that, since it kind of ruins the effect. More tile variation is a good point too, and I would remove most of that castle and make a decent background with mountains, fog and probably some kind of sun or something.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Also, cover up the shoreline with shrubbery or something for it to look better. You could also cover up the trees, or lower them into the ground using ctrl+pg up. The weather effect isn't doing it much good either. Great for a first attempt though.

Level 4
Well the terrain isn't that bad. But it looks a little boring. Add more doodads.
Also the banners are not fully reflected in the water.(don't know if it can be fixed however never done reflections)
Lower the trees a bit like fladdermasken suggested. And I suggest you get a little bit more of the sky and a little bit less of the water. Otherwise it's OK. You just need some more practice. :thumbs_up:

Level 36
Also, cover up the shoreline with shrubbery or something for it to look better.

I've seen two terrains done like this, and neither of them looked exceptionally good, due to this alone. If you're going to cover up the shoreline with shrubery, you will have to spam quite a lot plant life, and that doesn't look good at all.

What I'd suggest is that you mix up some plant life, some rocks and som improvised stuff, like for instance have a boat that conveniently covers up "some" of the shoreline.

Level 19
Actually I think this looks way more realistic than other reflection terrains that are pure mirror images. I might would have tinted the water black though, or at least experimentet with different colors... Lol I think you just inspired me to make a terrain :p

Status
Not open for further replies.