• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sort-of a First Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've done a little terraining before learning the do's and dont's and other helpful tips from this website- pretty much before I used Blizzard cliffs and trees, noise, little terrain variation, randomized doodads, and so on... :hohum:

So, not exactly a first terrain, but pretty close. Helpful advice on what's right and wrong with the terrain is greatly appreciated! :grin:

The terrain's not yet finished, I'm still trying to figure out how to do the mountains and sky...but will be uploading updates to pics :)

Updated: Replaced all three screenshots with four other perspectives. Added trees, rain and fog. Going to work on that sky and the mountains.

Attachments

• ChoosingHero1.jpg
    ChoosingHero1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 150
  • ChoosingHero2.jpg
    ChoosingHero2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 158
  • ChoosingHero3.jpg
    ChoosingHero3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 141
  • ChoosingHero4.jpg
    ChoosingHero4.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Level 3
Yes, it does look pretty bare without trees...and rain is always a must (how did I forget something like that?) :hohum:

I'm not sure how fog works out though. Is that just the fog from the map options? The one that shows when you press F?

Level 3
Btw, wheres the images i cant see any?!?!?! xD

Ummm...I don't know? Works for me...but I'm new at this importing-screenshot thing...

You can change it at "Scenario" - Map options - Use terrain fog (and change the color to one that blends well with the terrain.

Also press "I" in the editor so those purple checkerboxes dissappear.

So I have at midnight, would black fog work okay, or should it be a different color?

I imported the new screenshots while you posted, so I couldn't remove those purple checkerboxes for this time. Thanks for the tip though!

Level 34
Awesome work, but you still need to improe these. Use a fog, and make sure you hit I to get rid of those boxes. Also don't take screens at the edge of the map.

Level 8
Are you sure that's midnight lightning? It shouldn't look quite as shit with that black fog but it does. If that really is midnight lightning you should use way thinner fog. Them hills look like garbage compared to the detail of the other terrain, do place some doodads on them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.