• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I tried doing water reflection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
An Orc Cave

Ok people I worked on this today and its supposed to be an Orc guarded cave entrance. I made a small lake in the middle to try and do some reflections and it is a time consuming work that took me 2 or more hours to complete.

So please tell me how to improve and help me become better. Thanks ;)

205137-albums5586-picture75963.jpg

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Don't like some of the rocks e.g. the ones hanging from the sky like weird floating stalactites and the formation in the foreground. I guess what you tried to do is reflect the cave roof, but it just looks weird on basis. Also the rocks to the right are too stretched and they show the poor wrap side too blatantly.

The grunts kill the art consistency. If you desperately want units you should at least get some that fits with high res env, probably WoW versions or at least this one
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...n-grunt-113042/?prev=search=grunt&d=list&r=20

I like it though, it has nice depth for being done in a relatively confined space, and the reflections are [kinda] coherent.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I think replacing your cobblestone with Morphus's one could be a good idea. I'll take a more detailed look later when I have time.

Level 17
The scene is too dark for it to have such high amount of reflection IMO.
I'd make the water of dark color and make most of it deep so it is opaque and only leave it shallow at the entrance to the cave where the sky is seen and close to the torches.
Opaque all around the bottom and at the low right corner.
Also when making water reflections I would think more into how they actually work, as such water closer to the POV should be less reflective than the water towards the horizon because of the angle it is viewed from or things like the shadows which aren't "casted" onto the water, they simply reflect less light and show more of the bottom instead.

Otherwise, what fladder said. I'd also complain about the boat being of too low level of detail as well, on top of the grunts.
But overall nice I say !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.