• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thor'Kazan the ancient library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey everyone.

This is an area I made for the ORPG I'm working on.
It's a dwarven library. I didn't place units yet.
In the library dwarven defenders will battle orcs and trolls to keep it under their control. Guarded by an ancient dwarven god they're struggling to survive.
Gryphonwing players (that's the alliance of dwarves, humans and elves) will be able to complete quests in this area to defend the dwarves while Bloodbane (Orcs, Tauren and Trolls) will be able to do assault quests to conquer the library.

My apologies for not adding fog to the screenshots. I completely forgot it but wanted to share this with you before I had to go.

Comments and Critism pls!

(Note: It's 100% playable)

Screenshot #1-4 = inside
Screenshot #5 = entrance

Attachments

• Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 526
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 685
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 884
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 505
Level 35
Yeah, what fyr said. Also, I think it looks a bit... boxy, for some reason. And those falls dont look realistic, water falling down in a flat surface like it does before the actual fall, would spread in all directions rather than run in one stright line, yes, I am suggesting you add some sort of fence or walls to lead the water.

Level 19
Yeah, what fyr said. Also, I think it looks a bit... boxy, for some reason. And those falls dont look realistic, water falling down in a flat surface like it does before the actual fall, would spread in all directions rather than run in one stright line, yes, I am suggesting you add some sort of fence or walls to lead the water.

You should have seen me stressing out yesterday about the waterfall.:p Guess this is the best I can with the waterfall. It's a hard model to use because no matter how you shape it it will look bad anyway. That's one of the reasons I'm recruiting a modeler for the orpg.:p
About the boxy look.. hmm. If this is caused because of not having any fences I could add fences. The only thing is that I don't have a good fence model or idea.
I used to have single collumn (small) fences or "post hitching" fences but I'm out of idea's for this one. Recolouring the cityscape models is a bad option because it doesn't fit with olofmoleman's moria doodads.

However I changed the stone colour and the water colours. Looks much better now.

screenyo.jpg

Level 19
Finnly something new !!! I love the terrain, This is what makes a ORPG so Epic!

Thanks alot sheep.

Now there are some ppl watching this I might aswell say it in here:
Oakwood ORPG highly needs a modeler to make even better terrains! (to fix stupid doodad problems with small edits)

Level 13
god your using my favorite doodad ever da moria pillar it has many options and also this really doesn't look like a old book place i think you should add a little more booky things maybe some creepy torchs? but all and all i give it da thumbs up.

Level 19
It's great, how you've done it having only 3 decorations on your hands. Very interesting.

Lol yeah I just realised about the decorations. Moria Pillar, Moria Tomb, Moria Stairs. (and dwarven statue in opening could be #4:p).
The really shitty thing that occured was that because I didn't terrain it at 90 degrees or 0 degrees it became hard for pathing blockers and invisible platforms to place because it's at 101.80 degrees / 11.80 degrees. And because I didn't find that modeler yet I couldn't make the platforms invisible yet and sometimes can be seen a littlebit ingame:(

L2Love said:
god your using my favorite doodad ever da moria pillar it has many options and also this really doesn't look like a old book place i think you should add a little more booky things maybe some creepy torchs? but all and all i give it da thumbs up.

Yeah I also thought the same about the books. I might remove a littlebit of the rubble and add broken bookshelves between it or something, the only problem is that the blizz bookshelf doodad can be seen at 2 sides so I can't put it with his back upwards because it looks like the front.:p

Anyways, 500th post yay!

Level 9
The really shitty thing that occured was that because I didn't terrain it at 90 degrees or 0 degrees it became hard for pathing blockers and invisible platforms to place because it's at 101.80 degrees / 11.80 degrees. And because I didn't find that modeler yet I couldn't make the platforms invisible yet and sometimes can be seen a littlebit ingame:(

Create stairs on the base of invisible platform, just change the model. It will allows units to walk on surface of model, without walking through some steps and jumping over others if you cover it with platforms. It obviously will decrease mobility of the doodad, but you can play around with sizes and angles.

Level 19
Create stairs on the base of invisible platform, just change the model. It will allows units to walk on surface of model, without walking through some steps and jumping over others if you cover it with platforms. It obviously will decrease mobility of the doodad, but you can play around with sizes and angles.

I know that, but just because destructibles aren't great to place it looks messy. And I can't get them invisible. You see destructibles I use are placeable like barrels. So placeable with a small grid instead of freely placeble like the shrubs or fire. I so hope you're going to tell me I'm a noob now and know a way to fix this because it's so freaking annoying.

supertoinkz said:
vewy nice
sexy. But those water falls are weird
is this library under a lake or some body of water?

Hmm gotta agree with that. Well the water was supposed to be there for decoration however it looks like the water came there by accident. Think I'm going to change it a littlebit to make it look like the water comes out of broken 'dams' on top so the water came there after the battle for the library. Because of this I could add more bookshelves in the water under the platforms to make clear that part was being used aswel.

Level 9
I know that, but just because destructibles aren't great to place it looks messy. And I can't get them invisible. You see destructibles I use are placeable like barrels. So placeable with a small grid instead of freely placeble like the shrubs or fire. I so hope you're going to tell me I'm a noob now and know a way to fix this because it's so freaking annoying.

There's no way to place the destructibles of the grid. Impossible by the editor unbreakable rules. But you can play around it in such a way that it looks messy.

Make that platform-stair destuct I described, give it free rotation (fixed angle = -1). You can even give it some roll and pitch angle so it looks even messieh. On the map, rotate each stair it's own way, give them different scales. Make the bottom ones slightly bigger than top ones. You may pick up some areas which are not going to be walkable and create some ultra-messy unplayable stair out of your usual doodads, like "Broken stair to the second floor". You can put some rubbish around your playable stairs. You can put one stair over another with CTRL. You can do a lot of stuff. Just use imagination =)

Level 19
There's no way to place the destructibles of the grid. Impossible by the editor unbreakable rules. But you can play around it in such a way that it looks messy.

Make that platform-stair destuct I described, give it free rotation (fixed angle = -1). You can even give it some roll and pitch angle so it looks even messieh. On the map, rotate each stair it's own way, give them different scales. Make the bottom ones slightly bigger than top ones. You may pick up some areas which are not going to be walkable and create some ultra-messy unplayable stair out of your usual doodads, like "Broken stair to the second floor". You can put some rubbish around your playable stairs. You can put one stair over another with CTRL. You can do a lot of stuff. Just use imagination =)

All the things you described. Exactly 100% of it is what I already did.:hohum:

Level 3
I love this terrain.
It looks great apart from the waterfalls which should be guided, or atleast coming off the sides a little, and eventually finding their way to the central pool.
Other than that i think it's 10/10.

Level 7
Ah finally some one who takes terraining an rpg seriously and isn't affraid of some more complex pathing and camera work.

So far it looks great, although It'd be best to leave out the waterfalls. And to fix the ''boxy problem'' You could try to lift some sandy ground through the floor where the water is at near the stairs and other doodads, also giving it a more ''destroyed'' feeling to it.

Also if you are still looking for a fence, you could try out something similar to this:

Attachments

• Fence.jpg
    Fence.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 134
Level 19
Ah finally some one who takes terraining an rpg seriously and isn't affraid of some more complex pathing and camera work.

So far it looks great, although It'd be best to leave out the waterfalls. And to fix the ''boxy problem'' You could try to lift some sandy ground through the floor where the water is at near the stairs and other doodads, also giving it a more ''destroyed'' feeling to it.

Also if you are still looking for a fence, you could try out something similar to this:

Yeah I will really have to work on the waterfalls but need a modeler to change the waterfalls a bit to remove the annoying waves before I can do more about it. Thanks for the help with the fences but don't really like that creation you made. I will find something suitable no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.