• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Logic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
You have a grill and 3 steaks. Each of the two sides of a steak requires 2 minutes to be cooked. The grill can only sustain 2 steaks at a time. What is the minimum time required to cook all steaks and how would you do that?

Come on Shadow Fury, I think everyone can answer that. We want challenging questions and I know you can do better ;).

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Come on Shadow Fury, I think everyone can answer that. We want challenging questions and I know you can do better ;).
Consider a system of tunnels. This system has several bases connected by tunnels in a grid-like fashion. The entrance is in the lower left corner, and the exit in the upper right. There are two conditions for traversing this system. 1) You cant traverse the same tunnel twice. 2) You can never turn left or down at any given base, i.e. you can traverse this system only by going right horizontally or up vertically, in any combination

For a 1x1 system, i.e. four bases and four tunnels, there are a total of two ways to traverse it: up + right or the other way around. Now lets say we add a dimension

2x2.gif

So we have nine bases and twelve tunnels. Again starting from the left corner, we now have a total of six ways for traversing it: 2 right 2 up, 2 up 2 right, 1 right 2 up 1 right, etc.

How many ways would we have for traversing it with a 20x20 system?

Level 18
Consider a system of tunnels. This system has several bases connected by tunnels in a grid-like fashion. The entrance is in the lower left corner, and the exit in the upper right. There are two conditions for traversing this system. 1) You cant traverse the same tunnel twice. 2) You can never turn left or down at any given base, i.e. you can traverse this system only by going right horizontally or up vertically, in any combination

For a 1x1 system, i.e. four bases and four tunnels, there are a total of two ways to traverse it: up + right or the other way around. Now lets say we add a dimension

2x2.gif

So we have nine bases and twelve tunnels. Again starting from the left corner, we now have a total of six ways for traversing it: 2 right 2 up, 2 up 2 right, 1 right 2 up 1 right, etc.

How many ways would we have for traversing it with a 20x20 system?

Wat?

Level 21

I know it was a very easy one but it was just to keep you tuned to the thread ;)

Aboud flad's one, it's not hard as well. The number of ways of getting out of the tunnels is equal to the number of tunnels divided by 2. So in the 20x20 system, there are 840 tunnels hence there are 420 different ways of getting to the end. A walk in the park.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Aboud flad's one, it's not hard as well. The number of ways of getting out of the tunnels is equal to the number of tunnels divided by 2. So in the 20x20 system, there are 840 tunnels hence there are 420 different ways of getting to the end. A walk in the park.
I can see how it looks that way, but it's not even close. :)

e.g. a 3x3 system has 24 tunnels but 20 ways of traversing it

I don't know, 20 factorial?
I didn't think this through. I don't want to think to much.
Closer, but you're not there yet

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
So a 3x3 system has 4basex4base?
Yeah. Just think a standard grid, i.e. in the form
thumbnail3x3_carpetGrid.jpg62b5ea1b-94b9-4d1b-bdbf-7a3f52b7e559Small.jpg
for a 3x3, where the corners of each subsquare are bases and the edges are tunnels

If dat's not da answer, then I dunno :eekani: 1680 maybe? I know it's gonna be a factor of 20...
It's not necessarily a factor of its dimension. As I said, a 3x3 grid has 20 viable ways, and 20 is not a factor of 3.

Hint: The number goes up signfificantly for every dimension you add. You can figure this out by yourself from some tests. The number of ways for a 20x20 grid is insanely high, so there's no use guessing. Try and work with the lower dimensions and figure out the pattern/relation

EDIT:
40!/(20!20!)
For anybody that needs to know, this is the correct answer but without any explanation or reasoning

Level 22
Correct

Show your kouhais your reasoning

EDIT:

Just to clarify, this is right. The one in your previous post is wrong

EDIT: Damn it >_<

Starting on 3x3 square, each point is marked with no. of ways to reach the exit starting from that point.
attachment.php

If you notice, the diagonal is exactly Pascal's Triangle and we learned from algebra that the values of Pascal's triangle is the coefficient of the equation (x+1)^n that can be represented by combination (nCr). From there we can make a pattern

By looking at this

pascals-triangle-n-choose-k.gif

Grid Width/Length (no. of pt) Exponent (n)No. of ways
122C1
244C2
366C3
204040C20

So I think the correct answer is 40C20

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Level 17
You know the answers so you post them :)

OK!

Ready your Minds!
As 6 Different math/logical (too easy) are Coming!

Blood Mage: "This is too easy!"

Three friends go to a Shop and Find a watch. When buying it, they can't find the Salesperson, but his Assistant. The Assistant says the Watch worths 30$. They put all their money together, (each person 10$) and Get the Watch.

After the Salesperson arrives, and the Assistant tells about the Watch, the Salesperson says the Watch was 25$, not 30$. And Gives the Assistant 5$ to give the money back to The Friends.

He thinks:" if I have to give each the same amount, I'll have to give 1.6$ to each, so that's impossible. I'll have those 2$ and give those friends each 1$!"

And so, He picks up 2$ and Gives each Friends 1$.

Now here the question comes:

Each friend gave 10$ at first, now each had given actually 9$.
There were 3 Friend, so basically 9x3=27$.
There are 2$ with the Assistant.
27+2=29.
30-29=1$

Where's that 1$?

NOTE: Your task is to Find out what is wrong with the Equation, don't Comment: "The 1$ doesn't exist" (yeah it doesn't)
And don't re-say My question.

A Man comes into a store, and buys something worth 7$.
The man gave 10$ to the Salesperson as he didn't have change.
The salesperson didn't have enough Change too, So he went to the Nearby super-market, and got some change. So, he gives the Man 3$ and Bye.

10 minutes later, The Super-market Salesperson comes and says: "Your 10$ is Fake."
So, The Salesperson gives a real 10$ to the Super-market Salesperson.

Now tell me:
How much did the Salesperson lose?

There are two Separate Rooms, with No Visual, Sound connection to each other.
A Room consists 3 Lamps only, and the Other contains 3 Switches.

We know that each switch turns on one of the Lamps, but we have no idea Which one.

We can enter the Lamp room ONLY ONCE, But we can turn off/on all those switches as much as we want.

How to find out which lamp is connected with each Switch?
~Made by Microsoft

Three people, Two Normal and one Blind go to a VERY dark room, with no Probabilities of Seeing.
In the room there are 3 Black hats and 2 White ones.
The people each wear a Hat, And they have no idea which one.

Healthy guy a: I have no idea what my hat color is.

Healthy guy b: I too have no idea what my hat color is.

Blind guy : I Know what my hat color is.

How did he find out?

A Prisoner is escaping from Shadow Fury's Minotaur's Labirynth (LoL)
At the Very end, He sees a Sign, with 2 doors and 2 Skeleton guards, each guarding a Door. The Sign reads:
"One Door leads to Salvation, other to Death. You may only ask ONE question about the doors you choose.
However, Only one Guardian tells the truth. The other ALWAYS lies, but the Other is ALWAYS honest.
The question you ask MUST be answered with Yes/No, else you lose your chance.
The Skeleton Guardians are smart, And Understand all languages."
How to reach Salvation?

In a street, there are five Houses each with their own color. In each house, there lives a man, each with different Nationalities. Each men Drink a special Drink, smoke a special Cigarette, and Keep a Special Pet.

MAIN QUESTION: Which one keeps a Fish as pet?

Required Help / Information:

1. The English man lives in a Red house.
2. The Sweden man, has a Dog.
3. Man from Denmark Drinks tea.
4. Green house is on the right side of The White house.
5. The man in the Green house, drinks Coffee.
6. The Man who smokes "Pall Mall" Cigarette has a Bird.
7. The man in the Yellow house, Smokes "Dunhill" Cigarette.
8. The man in the Middle House, drinks Milk.
9. The man from Norway is in the First House.
10. The man who smokes "Blends" Cigarette Lives next to the man who Has a cat.
11. The man who keeps a Horse, lives next to the Man who smokes "Dunhill" Cigarette.
12. The man who Smokes "Blue Master" Cigarette, drinks Beer.
13. The German man Smokes "Prince" Cigarette.
14. The Man from Norway Lives next to the Blue house.
15 The Man that Smokes "Blends" Cigarette has a neighbor Who drinks Water.

It is fully real, and I figured it out over an Hour!
~Made by Einstein

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
$1 Missing!
It got lost in your cognitive blind spot

The shop receives $30 for the initial purchase and subtracts $5 for the assistant to return to the travelers, clearly by tracking them down via the watch's built-in GPS signal or something

$30 minus $5 equals $25. $3 is given to the travelers, $2 is kept by the assistant and $25 is kept by the shop for the original purchase. Everything adds up

So basically you switch out subtraction and addition. You add the $2 the assistant pilfered to make the total $29, where you should have subtracted $2 to make the total amount paid $25.

Classic red herring. All is well with the world, people

I seriously couldnt understand most of that

3 lamps, 3 switches
Turn on the first switch and leave it on for a couple minutes. Switch it off and turn the second switch on. Enter the room and check which of the two unlit bulbs are warm

Switch one goes to the warm unlit bulb, switch two to the lit bulb and switch three to the cold unlit bulb

I assume they dont stay in the dark room, because then I dont think there is a solution unless the blind dude can hear the colour of fabrics

Lets call them Adam (seeing), Bob (seeing) and Zatoichi (blind samurai, listener of fabrics). If we assume the two non-blind people can see what hats the others are wearing, we can start ruling things out

Adam speaks first and says he doesnt know:

Ergo, we can rule out that Bob and Zatoichi listener of fabrics arent both wearing white hats because then Adam could deduce that he is wearing a black hat. So they must either both be wearing black hats or one white, one black

Bob speaks after Adam that he also doesnt know:

If Zatoichi listener of fabrics was wearing a white hat, Bob would know his own hat colour because they cant both be wearing white hats. Because then Adam would know his hat colour

Ergo, Zatoichi listener of fabrics doesnt need to hear the threads sing to tell him that he has to have a black hat on because of deduction

"Would the other guard tell me this door leads to death?"

Option one, the door does lead to death:

The honest guard would say "no!" because the other guard is a liar. The liar would say "no!" because the truthteller would say "yes!"

Option two, the door doesnt lead to death:

The honest guard will say "yes!" because, like before, the other dude is a lying bastard. The lying guard will also say "yes!" because the truthteller would say "no!"

Ergo, if the answer is no, the door leads to death. If the answer is yes, the door is safe

Einstein's Riddle
Meh. I honestly think it's boring and bruteforcable. Standard choice by elimination

I'll leave this for the masses

Status
Not open for further replies.