• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kobold Escape! v1.35

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
The United Kobolds Presents

Kobold Escape! v1.35
Created by gusanomental

Map Info:

Somewhere beneath the land, something wicked is going to happen. Near a remote underground dwarven citadel, three cute kobolds unwittingly meet. Whether they like it or not, they will have to cooperate together if they want to flee in one piece. This is their story...

Loading Screen:

koboldscreen_v1_2048x1536-jpg.250205

Features:

Kobold Escape! was made with lots of LOVE and it's MAINLY inspired by Blizzard's The Lost Vikings.
Brains and cooperation are the key to solve the puzzles and advance throughout the game. Among other things, here you'll find:

• Three different kobolds with their own unique set of skills and background.
  • Polished UI with an (un)necessary 'Look at' skill which allows kobolds to share their points of view about their surroundings.
  • Immersive inhospitable underground atmosphere and landscape, keeping the ease of a good old warcraft-ish environment.

These proud kobolds are eagerly waiting you to aid them in their runaway!

Things you need to know:

Kobolds are weak. Don't bother attacking enemies! Run if there's danger ahead.
The rest of the kobolds will be safe from any harm as longer as they stay behind the Brute and his shield.
Watch your step. Things that look dangerous are dangerous.
Use 'Look at' skill in sign posts and pay attention to what kobolds say. They usually give you vital information about what (not) to do next.
Camera can be changed by typing -cam.
Always check Quests menu.

Screenshots:

Screenshot 1:

233354-albums8902-picture108631.jpg

Screenshot 2:

233354-albums8902-picture108632.jpg

Screenshot 3:

233354-albums8902-picture108633.jpg

Screenshot 4:

233354-albums8902-picture108634.jpg

Screenshot 5:

233354-albums8902-picture108635.jpg

Screenshot 6:

233354-albums8902-picture108636.jpg

Credits:

Thanks to:
  • General Frank, Magos, Bribe, Hayate, Matarael, HerrDave, War_Golum, Hellish Hybrid, KAIL333XZ, bisnar13, Storm_PCF, Sin'dorei300, Deolrin, Grey Knight, RaidonGod, Ket, ILH, Revilo, Infrisios, Direfury, Chriz., Ardenian, Sellenisko, Sephiroth_VII, Devine, PROXY, Mc !, Callahan, -Grendel, Deolrin, levigeorge1617, HappyTauren, tee.dubs, stonneash, RightField, !!GORO!!, GiFun, Tranquil, tillinghast, The Weird Human, communist_orc, Stanakin, Just_Spectating, eubz, hortaxman, Sunchips, ossus, Tarrasque, Kitabatake, Trollschnitzel, Kofi_Banan, Lender, Daenar7, The_Silent, Kimbo, Marcos DAB, frEAk49, 4eNNightmare, aki15, viiva, Anachron, Blood Raven, minidreschi, SexYFrostWyrM, CRAZYRUSSIAN, ~Nightmare, PeeKay, NFWar, Darkfang, 67chrome, Pyramidhe@d, Deon, I3lackDeath, OgeRfaCes, Apheraz Lucent, Technomancer, BLazeKraze, FrIkY, -Berz-, Darkfang, Kanadaj, Discipline, Anachron, D.ee, Lelling, The Panda. If I'm using one of your resources and your nickname isn't here, message me and I'll gladly add it.
  • Pazzoberserk, my devoted sponsor and map-making guru.
  • Naze, for his awesome artwork.
  • Dr. Super Good, who helped me with the Brute's shield though he didn't provide me yet his diploma-any single proof he's a real doctor.
  • Blizzard Entertainment.

Author's notes:

Kobold Escape! is unprotected so people can maybe learn one or two things from it or just make fun of my noob triggers. Its only purpose is to entertain. If you think the map it's stupid, don't get fooled: it certainly is!
I hope you hate this map as I did while working on it.
Did you find a bug? Please report it in the comment section. You'll get a cookie each time you do.
Any constructive/destructive criticism is welcome.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Adventure, Co-op, Coop, Cooperative, Escape, Kobold, Kobolds, Lost, Lost Vikings, Underground, Vikings
Contents

Kobold Escape! v1.35 (Map)

Reviews
20:51, 19th May 2016 Shadow Fury: A pretty difficult but exciting map that will require you to use your wits! It might even drive you to insanity :P This is an excellent map with awesome aesthetics that really inspires teamwork therefore I shall...

M

20:51, 19th May 2016
Shadow Fury: A pretty difficult but exciting map that will require you to use your wits! It might even drive you to insanity :p
This is an excellent map with awesome aesthetics that really inspires teamwork therefore I shall approve it with a rating of 4/5.

Level 26
I like that you enabled the player to pick three champions if there wasn't more players.

First cave with the selection of kobolds was a little too fogged. I had problem finding the kobolds in here. Not a major issue, but a little strange.

"Try to have fun!" sounds like it is a really bad game, which it is not. I reccomend changing this to something like "Have fun!" or "Enjoy!".

The start was kind of strange, as I had no camera panning to the kobolds location, and they were really small on the minimap. Additionally they were mostly hiden in caves.

Since they are not hero units, you could add the "Worker" classificaion instead, causing them to appear as icons in the bottom-right cornor. SOmething like this to select them would be nice.

I could just lift up the cout through the gate, instead of having to dig my way to him.

I'll play this further soon, as I loved the concept of it!

Level 21
This map is truly over-insane! Normally I adore challenging maps and have no problems winning them but this one is really too hard I couldn't even reach the end after playing it day and night because I got stuck. It's very hard to understand what needs to be done. I know it requires some intellect but you should anyway add a few little hints for the players. Rememeber that not everybody has the patience to run around the map for hours to find clues on what to do and, most importantly, how.
Having to save and reload very often is extremely annoying and time-wasting while also being boring to some extent. Just why forcing the player(s) to do so? Then imagine in multiplayer what a catastrophe as well because it's much more complicated saving and reloading. No, that's inappropriate.
The difficulty of the game itself is a problem. You die easily.... very easily, sometimes without even knowing. The kobolds are too weak and fragile and given that when you die you stay in your grave forever, the game simply drives you to exasperation. I struggled so bad to reach the dwarven citadel. I think I took the whole day to do so.

The map, however, has lots of potential and some positive aspects. For example, the aesthetics were gorgeous! One can really feel the inhospitable dungeon atmosphere everywhere! In addition, the dwarven citadel was pretty well done despite being mostly one-tiled as it looked technological (well, technological in terms of dwarven technology of course XD). Great job here :)
Another awesome thing is that each kobold clearly has a different role to play and only with cooperation and wise use of every kobold's skills can one hope to get through the map. If the gameplay weren't that insane, this would be an excellent map to inspire teamwork.

As you see, your map can become a marvellous one. Nevertheless, you need to make it easier. For now, I'm setting it to needs fix.

Level 11
Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you liked the terrain.
You're totally right about the hardcore difficulty and the saving/loading issue. I let pass the idea of a resurrection thingy since players could abuse of it while in danger. I'll add more conversations and sign posts to give more info, specially near deadly areas. Regarding to kobolds' fragility, I'll nerf hazards so kobolds can endure more pain before meeting their ancestors.

Edit: Added several 'hints' in the form of conversation between the kobolds, nerfed enemies and fixed a few bugs.

Last edited:

San

San

Level 32
This map is really interesting, but it looks like there's nothing can be targeted by Digger's Operate, am I missing something? Because we are now stuck on the Locomative area.

Level 21
Much better now! I managed to finish the game but only by saving Brik :(
To make this playable in multiplayer, I suggest you give lives to every kobold, like 7 for example, so that players don't abuse of the handy resurrection. Right now, unless you're a goddamn pro, you still need to save and reload a lot.

For the locomotive part, can you implement a restart thingy? I mean, if 3 skilled players finally repair the locomotive and still have some lives but fail to escape, they will be really disappointed.

If you do at least the lives part, I'm approving this straightaway.

This map is really interesting, but it looks like there's nothing can be targeted by Digger's Operate, am I missing something? Because we are now stuck on the Locomative area.

Use Operate on the Console. You firstly need to repair it using the Wrench and then you can operate it after passing the fire vent.

Reactions: San
Level 11
Well, map updated. Added a resurrection stone and 3 extra lives for every kobold;
now kobolds during the chase move to the next wagon when it explodes instead of getting insta-killed, making more likely to survive until the end
, and some minor changes.
What do you think? Feel free to use the 'cheat' I've provided you to avoid doing the puzzles again.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

My review
Terrain, well made! 5/5
Atmosphere, 5/5
Gameplay 4/5

Total: 5/5

Level 28
Very nice game! I actually had fun playing it, so good work.

First cave with the selection of kobolds was a little too fogged. I had problem finding the kobolds in here. Not a major issue, but a little strange.

Yeah, I had that too, I'd find a way of getting the kobolds more proeminent if I were you.

So, I couldn't make it to the end because I wasn't saving when I first played it. Also, I had the problem of not displaying the dialogues between the characters via Game - Display text for (All Players) trigger... maybe because I had subtitles not turned on so that was my fault. You should warn the players to turn them on anyway. Not reading those dialogues made me spend a lot of time wondering what to do with Trob in the 1st room. Another thing: I'd also add a sound when the shovel kobold attacks rock chunks.

Overall I liked the map and all the attention you gave to the details like character developmnet, random conversations between characters and all that.

So that's it! Keep the mappin' dude. :D

Level 11
I completely forgot about that, you were actually not reading 'Units' transmissions'. I'll force subtitles on via triggers (there's no such thing like democracy among the 'koboldkind') and add shoveling sound in the next update.
Hope you can finish the game someday, the chase on the railway is about to mark a before and an after in the Warcraft III History!
Thanks for playing.

Edit: Things listed above added/fixed.

Edit 2: Fixed a bug related to putting AI in slots.

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Really fun and a perfect combination of entertainment and mind blowing tactics that need to be used in order to win :) maximum rating from me. Good job!​

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Any Lost Vikings fan would surely love this seen from above in 3D. Moreover, action-adventure addicts would not want to miss it.

-E doesn't work to stop defending; it has to be manually clicked
-hmm... so the trees only go down after going in front of the trapped kobold's prison? The door can only be destroyed after reaching the imprisoned kobold?
-the quest with the locomotive is given before the kobold says something about it (region based)
-would a higher camera on the zones where the magmasaurs are do? This way the player can see when those lizard out of the camera view prepare to attack
-also less hints like (we need someone to block that fire) make the game more interesting
-you could make them heroes; it would be easier to navigate and control them in singleplayer
-should the guy with the tank be able to go up the elevator without it being on the same height as the floor he's on?
-sometimes the enemy units just get back to their starting/previous position after attacking the big kobold while he has the shield on
-the purple fiend comes towards the kobolds while their door is locked instead of going out of the room; after a minute it went where it should
-the switches at the generator; the one that raises the elevator should have a reverse otherwise the game has to be restarted if no previous state saves are available
-they kind of looked oversized and huge to just eat some stinking kobolds
-the train part is kind of weird because of those gnawing constantly at its back; I think keeping them away from it by killing them and later on not being able to because of their growing numbers would've looked prettier
-I've absolutely liked the dark ending; really did not expect it for a humour based game; but it should've been clear to me that it's dark humour

Roughly 5/5. Multiplayer or singleplayer (depending on how it was first conceived) is a real bonus.

I see a lot of talent potential in this. I expect future works of yours to be even more interesting.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
By the way, there are actually two endings. There's always hope for these kobolds!
Hmm... well I couldn't figure out if the scout attacks on his own or not. If not, I'm having a hard time trying to attack the same target because the beasts bulk up and because of that purple effect on the back of the train. Also, I'm not sure how the mines work exactly. I just spam click on them.

Level 1
"Walkthrough doubt"

I have a problem trying to complete the map; me and my 2 friends don t know what to do in the "Hatecraft Carrier" area.

We managed to pull down the 2 levers and turn on the generator. But after that we don t know what to do. The third level, that seems independent, doesn t do nothing, even if we pull it down before turning on the generator or just after. We cant use any of the 3 elevators of the area, and we cant pass to the center (the area between the turrents, where stand a huge block)

The hint says we will need the Dwarven tool, but we can t figure out what we have to do.

Also, by that moment we have 5 blood sticks

Help :(

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
have a problem trying to complete the map; me and my 2 friends don t know what to do in the "Hatecraft Carrier" area.
Yeah, it's the most annoying part especially when you can't get down without the tool. One or some of the kobolds warns about that. I think in terms of gameplay that shouldn't be present especially in multiplayer where loading and saving is painful.

Level 8
It has some things to improve, like increase a bit more the difficulty, the unfocused camera, and the quick access buttons, but for everything else, it's very well worked, especially the terrain. :infl_thumbs_up:

I'll give you a four-star rating, just for now, waiting for a new update. ;)

Ps: I loved this screenshot:

233354-albums8902-picture108636.jpg

Last edited:
Level 11
I'll fix hotkeys and get rid of that troublesome lever. Thanks for playing.

EDIT: Updated. Misleading 'Interact' skill renamed to 'Look at', no more levers triggering dead ends and, most importantly, new Loading screen for the map kindly made by Naze although, given its beauty, it'd be better to say that this is now a .w3x file attached to his artwork.

Last edited:
Level 1
So... i just signed in so i could ask you this.

Me and my 2 friends are stuck in the Hatecraft Carrier area, where we have to get the carrier off from the prison.
We tried every lever combination and we simply cannot get the carrier out of there. We repaired and placed the engines at the train and we simply dont know what to do.

Im not asking to simply tell us, but maybe a little hint? :)

Edit: nvm we did it :D

Last edited:
Level 1
Hello. First of all - thanks for the map - it was pretty interesting so far.

Hovewer, like Holy_Kobold, got stuck at the Hatecraft Carrier puzzle. To me it looks like it is bugged - Carrier gets teleported back, even if there are no "energy-ray" being crossed.

Me and my 2 friends are stuck in the Hatecraft Carrier area, where we have to get the carrier off from the prison.
We tried every lever combination and we simply cannot get the carrier out of there. We repaired and placed the engines at the train and we simply dont know what to do.

Also, seems like we found another "bug". That purple beast is supposed to be locked in the console room forever?
Hint said that we have to close ourselves in there from the beast and wait while he atacks the garrison. But most of the garrison was dead at that point (spikes - i hope there is a way to pass it without killing anyone), and that beast moved into the room and killed all 3 of us... Except that last one, Digger, was able to pull the lever at the end.
And so, we respawned, and beast is now stuck in there and doing no harm to us.
Probably this is not how it was intended (and if it was - then why dwarves didn't locked beast there in the first place, but used some kind of restrainer?..)

Also, small thing that i would like to suggest - allow Trekkin to stop pretending dead at any time, and allow him lay down much longer if he desires to. Unless players are irrelevant to deaths (which is actualy the case now, becasue of infinite lives), i would love to have a way to wait for Brute budy to come-in and cover retreat with his shield. And, well, it looks just foolish to jump up by timer right when enemy is comming by.

Again - thanks for creating such an interesting and unusual map. That's what i am playing Warcraft 3, pretty much :)

Level 11
Hovewer, like Holy_Kobold, got stuck at the Hatecraft Carrier puzzle. To me it looks like it is bugged - Carrier gets teleported back, even if there are no "energy-ray" being crossed.

Did the lightning effects cover the whole region from left to right once you got into the room? Maybe you see nothing where technically there's a ray. I'm aware of how buggy lightning can sometimes be and I worked to greatly minimize the chances of this happening but, well...

Also, seems like we found another "bug". That purple beast is supposed to be locked in the console room forever?...

He is supposed to kill every dwarf (usually four) standing in his way through the left hall. Wow, it seems like you tamed the little fiend.

Also, small thing that i would like to suggest - allow Trekkin to stop pretending dead at any time, and allow him lay down much longer if he desires to...

Sadly, I have no intention of updating the map anytime soon unless we get an epic bug, but I'll surely take your suggestion into account if that day comes.

Thanks both for playing and your post.

Level 1
Did the lightning effects cover the whole region from left to right once you got into the room?
No. Initialy left part (from left statue) is completely inoperatable, while right one is working (fully covered in lightnings). And further, there are no rays from left statue. I had to leave couple of games becasue we were unable to find a clue how to pass it. Not with trial and error i managed to do it, but still - it is not fun to just do it as "that dude tells me to do", and i understand my comrades here.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
No. Initialy left part (from left statue) is completely inoperatable, while right one is working (fully covered in lightnings). And further, there are no rays from left statue. I had to leave couple of games becasue we were unable to find a clue how to pass it. Not with trial and error i managed to do it, but still - it is not fun to just do it as "that dude tells me to do", and i understand my comrades here.
Hmm... did not happen to me. Did you guys save the game and loaded? Some lightning triggers might not work properly after loading the game if a game cache isn't properly stored before saving, which is not something easy to make.

Level 12
Played it with 2 other friends, had loads of fun. Though there is a bug or maybe it is intentional, it's not very clear. But when we crossed the lava river i failed to immediately pick up the little item so the giant lizard killed me and when we tried to go back the giant lizard killed the strong kobold in one shot and he would not revive. It was pretty disappointing considering we played for like an hour and the game ended then and there for no clear reason.

Level 4
Ey Q TALCO?? HAHA ! ok first you map is super amazing need have some extra missions OK!?
DAAA....bueno la cosa es que van mis 5/5 keep the updates and some save/load to play 2 part i need moreee! HAHA
CYAAA COMRADE :V >_______<

Level 1
I finished the map with my friends last year, just wanted to let you. Your map was amazing and i'd love to play another one! A sequel or another one similar to this. Don't worry too much about the difficulty, personally i think it was perfect for me and my friends to play. Not too long to figure something out and not too short either. Thank you!

Level 3
This map was a ton of fun!, there is a lot of little details that make it even better. My favorite parts were gathering the crew and the train sequence. Very unique and fun, favorite map on the hive so far :)

Level 11
Suggestion.
I discovered that with some triggers you can create a changing and unpredictable maze.
It's simple. You create a square formed of smaller squares, each separated from the others by doors that look like walls. Every three hours of game time (or whatever you want), you select all the doors and divide them into two random groups. You open the first half, and you close the second half. Afterwards, you can add some enemies in some of the cells. Thus, the player must adapt continuously to the labyrinth, and discover the way to access a certain block direction.