1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Kobold Escape! v1.35

Submitted by gusanomental
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
The United Kobolds Presents

Kobold Escape! v1.35
Created by gusanomental

Map Info:

Somewhere beneath the land, something wicked is going to happen. Near a remote underground dwarven citadel, three cute kobolds unwittingly meet. Whether they like it or not, they will have to cooperate together if they want to flee in one piece. This is their story...

Loading Screen:

[​IMG]

Features:

Kobold Escape! was made with lots of LOVE and it's MAINLY inspired by Blizzard's The Lost Vikings.
Brains and cooperation are the key to solve the puzzles and advance throughout the game. Among other things, here you'll find:

• Three different kobolds with their own unique set of skills and background.
  • Polished UI with an (un)necessary 'Look at' skill which allows kobolds to share their points of view about their surroundings.
  • Immersive inhospitable underground atmosphere and landscape, keeping the ease of a good old warcraft-ish environment.

These proud kobolds are eagerly waiting you to aid them in their runaway!

Things you need to know:

Kobolds are weak. Don't bother attacking enemies! Run if there's danger ahead.
The rest of the kobolds will be safe from any harm as longer as they stay behind the Brute and his shield.
Watch your step. Things that look dangerous are dangerous.
Use 'Look at' skill in sign posts and pay attention to what kobolds say. They usually give you vital information about what (not) to do next.
Camera can be changed by typing -cam.
Always check Quests menu.

Screenshots:

Screenshot 1:

[​IMG]

Screenshot 2:

[​IMG]

Screenshot 3:

[​IMG]

Screenshot 4:

[​IMG]

Screenshot 5:

[​IMG]

Screenshot 6:

[​IMG]

Credits:

Thanks to:
  • General Frank, Magos, Bribe, Hayate, Matarael, HerrDave, War_Golum, Hellish Hybrid, KAIL333XZ, bisnar13, Storm_PCF, Sin'dorei300, Deolrin, Grey Knight, RaidonGod, Ket, ILH, Revilo, Infrisios, Direfury, Chriz., Ardenian, Sellenisko, Sephiroth_VII, Devine, PROXY, Mc !, Callahan, -Grendel, Deolrin, levigeorge1617, HappyTauren, tee.dubs, stonneash, RightField, !!GORO!!, GiFun, Tranquil, tillinghast, The Weird Human, communist_orc, Stanakin, Just_Spectating, eubz, hortaxman, Sunchips, ossus, Tarrasque, Kitabatake, Trollschnitzel, Kofi_Banan, Lender, Daenar7, The_Silent, Kimbo, Marcos DAB, frEAk49, 4eNNightmare, aki15, viiva, Anachron, Blood Raven, minidreschi, SexYFrostWyrM, CRAZYRUSSIAN, ~Nightmare, PeeKay, NFWar, Darkfang, 67chrome, Pyramidhe@d, Deon, I3lackDeath, OgeRfaCes, Apheraz Lucent, Technomancer, BLazeKraze, FrIkY, -Berz-, Darkfang, Kanadaj, Discipline, Anachron, D.ee, Lelling, The Panda. If I'm using one of your resources and your nickname isn't here, message me and I'll gladly add it.
  • Pazzoberserk, my devoted sponsor and map-making guru.
  • Naze, for his awesome artwork.
  • Dr. Super Good, who helped me with the Brute's shield though he didn't provide me yet his diploma-any single proof he's a real doctor.
  • Blizzard Entertainment.

Author's notes:

Kobold Escape! is unprotected so people can maybe learn one or two things from it or just make fun of my noob triggers. Its only purpose is to entertain. If you think the map it's stupid, don't get fooled: it certainly is!
I hope you hate this map as I did while working on it.
Did you find a bug? Please report it in the comment section. You'll get a cookie each time you do.
Any constructive/destructive criticism is welcome.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Adventure, Co-op, Coop, Cooperative, Escape, Kobold, Kobolds, Lost, Lost Vikings, Underground, Vikings
Contents

Kobold Escape! v1.35 (Map)

Reviews
20:51, 19th May 2016 Shadow Fury: A pretty difficult but exciting map that will require you to use your wits! It might even drive you to insanity :P This is an excellent map with awesome aesthetics that really inspires teamwork therefore I shall...
  1. 20:51, 19th May 2016
    Shadow Fury: A pretty difficult but exciting map that will require you to use your wits! It might even drive you to insanity :p
    This is an excellent map with awesome aesthetics that really inspires teamwork therefore I shall approve it with a rating of 4/5.

2. Aether

Aether

Resources:
    Resources:
    You might want to fix that. Anyways, the description is looking good.

3. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like that you enabled the player to pick three champions if there wasn't more players.

First cave with the selection of kobolds was a little too fogged. I had problem finding the kobolds in here. Not a major issue, but a little strange.

"Try to have fun!" sounds like it is a really bad game, which it is not. I reccomend changing this to something like "Have fun!" or "Enjoy!".

The start was kind of strange, as I had no camera panning to the kobolds location, and they were really small on the minimap. Additionally they were mostly hiden in caves.

Since they are not hero units, you could add the "Worker" classificaion instead, causing them to appear as icons in the bottom-right cornor. SOmething like this to select them would be nice.

I could just lift up the cout through the gate, instead of having to dig my way to him.

I'll play this further soon, as I loved the concept of it!

4. gusanomental

gusanomental

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Both texts were part of an auto-boycotting joke. Now they're gone and changes have been made regarding to your suggestions.
    I'll await your thoughts if you find the time to play it until the end.

5. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    This map is truly over-insane! Normally I adore challenging maps and have no problems winning them but this one is really too hard I couldn't even reach the end after playing it day and night because I got stuck. It's very hard to understand what needs to be done. I know it requires some intellect but you should anyway add a few little hints for the players. Rememeber that not everybody has the patience to run around the map for hours to find clues on what to do and, most importantly, how.
    Having to save and reload very often is extremely annoying and time-wasting while also being boring to some extent. Just why forcing the player(s) to do so? Then imagine in multiplayer what a catastrophe as well because it's much more complicated saving and reloading. No, that's inappropriate.
    The difficulty of the game itself is a problem. You die easily.... very easily, sometimes without even knowing. The kobolds are too weak and fragile and given that when you die you stay in your grave forever, the game simply drives you to exasperation. I struggled so bad to reach the dwarven citadel. I think I took the whole day to do so.

The map, however, has lots of potential and some positive aspects. For example, the aesthetics were gorgeous! One can really feel the inhospitable dungeon atmosphere everywhere! In addition, the dwarven citadel was pretty well done despite being mostly one-tiled as it looked technological (well, technological in terms of dwarven technology of course XD). Great job here :)
    Another awesome thing is that each kobold clearly has a different role to play and only with cooperation and wise use of every kobold's skills can one hope to get through the map. If the gameplay weren't that insane, this would be an excellent map to inspire teamwork.

As you see, your map can become a marvellous one. Nevertheless, you need to make it easier. For now, I'm setting it to needs fix.

6. gusanomental

gusanomental

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you liked the terrain.
    You're totally right about the hardcore difficulty and the saving/loading issue. I let pass the idea of a resurrection thingy since players could abuse of it while in danger. I'll add more conversations and sign posts to give more info, specially near deadly areas. Regarding to kobolds' fragility, I'll nerf hazards so kobolds can endure more pain before meeting their ancestors.

Edit: Added several 'hints' in the form of conversation between the kobolds, nerfed enemies and fixed a few bugs.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  7. San

San

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    This map is really interesting, but it looks like there's nothing can be targeted by Digger's Operate, am I missing something? Because we are now stuck on the Locomative area.

8. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Much better now! I managed to finish the game but only by saving Brik :(
    To make this playable in multiplayer, I suggest you give lives to every kobold, like 7 for example, so that players don't abuse of the handy resurrection. Right now, unless you're a goddamn pro, you still need to save and reload a lot.

For the locomotive part, can you implement a restart thingy? I mean, if 3 skilled players finally repair the locomotive and still have some lives but fail to escape, they will be really disappointed.

If you do at least the lives part, I'm approving this straightaway.

Use Operate on the Console. You firstly need to repair it using the Wrench and then you can operate it after passing the fire vent.

9. gusanomental

gusanomental

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, map updated. Added a resurrection stone and 3 extra lives for every kobold;
    now kobolds during the chase move to the next wagon when it explodes instead of getting insta-killed, making more likely to survive until the end
    , and some minor changes.
    What do you think? Feel free to use the 'cheat' I've provided you to avoid doing the puzzles again.

10. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Much better! I think it is approvable now as there is nothing wrong anymore.

By the way, is it intentional that trob can't block leg biters' attacks with his shield?

11. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    My review
    Terrain, well made! 5/5
    Atmosphere, 5/5
    Gameplay 4/5

Total: 5/5

12. gusanomental

gusanomental

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for helping and testing, even in its early hardcore stage!

Certainly, they're supposed to 'sneak' their jaws under his shield.

Thanks for playing.

13. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very nice game! I actually had fun playing it, so good work.

Yeah, I had that too, I'd find a way of getting the kobolds more proeminent if I were you.

So, I couldn't make it to the end because I wasn't saving when I first played it. Also, I had the problem of not displaying the dialogues between the characters via Game - Display text for (All Players) trigger... maybe because I had subtitles not turned on so that was my fault. You should warn the players to turn them on anyway. Not reading those dialogues made me spend a lot of time wondering what to do with Trob in the 1st room. Another thing: I'd also add a sound when the shovel kobold attacks rock chunks.

Overall I liked the map and all the attention you gave to the details like character developmnet, random conversations between characters and all that.

So that's it! Keep the mappin' dude. :D

14. gusanomental

gusanomental

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I completely forgot about that, you were actually not reading 'Units' transmissions'. I'll force subtitles on via triggers (there's no such thing like democracy among the 'koboldkind') and add shoveling sound in the next update.
    Hope you can finish the game someday, the chase on the railway is about to mark a before and an after in the Warcraft III History!
    Thanks for playing.

Edit: Things listed above added/fixed.

Edit 2: Fixed a bug related to putting AI in slots.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  15. Maizon

Maizon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Entertaining.

16. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Really fun and a perfect combination of entertainment and mind blowing tactics that need to be used in order to win :) maximum rating from me. Good job!​

17. gusanomental

gusanomental

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    After watching a replay, I've finally decided to set infinite lives to every kobold.

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Any Lost Vikings fan would surely love this seen from above in 3D. Moreover, action-adventure addicts would not want to miss it.

-E doesn't work to stop defending; it has to be manually clicked
    -hmm... so the trees only go down after going in front of the trapped kobold's prison? The door can only be destroyed after reaching the imprisoned kobold?
    -the quest with the locomotive is given before the kobold says something about it (region based)
    -would a higher camera on the zones where the magmasaurs are do? This way the player can see when those lizard out of the camera view prepare to attack
    -also less hints like (we need someone to block that fire) make the game more interesting
    -you could make them heroes; it would be easier to navigate and control them in singleplayer
    -should the guy with the tank be able to go up the elevator without it being on the same height as the floor he's on?
    -sometimes the enemy units just get back to their starting/previous position after attacking the big kobold while he has the shield on
    -the purple fiend comes towards the kobolds while their door is locked instead of going out of the room; after a minute it went where it should
    -the switches at the generator; the one that raises the elevator should have a reverse otherwise the game has to be restarted if no previous state saves are available
    -they kind of looked oversized and huge to just eat some stinking kobolds
    -the train part is kind of weird because of those gnawing constantly at its back; I think keeping them away from it by killing them and later on not being able to because of their growing numbers would've looked prettier
    -I've absolutely liked the dark ending; really did not expect it for a humour based game; but it should've been clear to me that it's dark humour

Roughly 5/5. Multiplayer or singleplayer (depending on how it was first conceived) is a real bonus.

I see a lot of talent potential in this. I expect future works of yours to be even more interesting.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  19. gusanomental

gusanomental

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot for your post and rating! I'll take it into account for the next update.
    By the way, there are actually two endings. There's always hope for these kobolds!