1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Jasshelper 2011-12-19

Discussion in 'Warcraft Editing Tools' started by cohadar, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I thought JASShelper was being developed by vexorian? What gives you the right to suddely make new "offical" versions?

2. cohadar

cohadar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well basically Vex not being around any more, and me being the only one with enough programming education to handle the code.
    (others have tried and failed before)

My reputation in wc3c community does not hurt either.

3. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Ahem, I know that super good and I can also handle the code, it's just a bloody programming nightmare >.>. It breaks like every convention possible to just butcher the readability >.<. If you managed to sift through the like 60,000 line files of code and figure out where everything was, good for you ; ).

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So you went to highschool? Wow I used to think WC3C people were smart post graduates until now. I also was not aware that everyone on this site was stuck in primary school. Hmm using your logic I must be unable to use computers in any way shape or form let alone type messages. Oh wait...

Next to the code being a mess and having no documentation, you hardly need vast programming experience to understand it. You do however need vast quantities of time to find out where and how to insert new structures into the system due to its bad design and documentation.

5. cohadar

cohadar

Resources:
    Resources:
    See the conditional you used there? So my answer is, no you can't.

I am a computer engineer (28 years old).

See the conditional you used there?
    Only if it was easy we could do it too. :goblin_cry:

Besides if any of you actually bothered to look at the new source you would have noticed that it is not a total nightmare any more because I broke it down in pieces and I actually wrote some comments in important areas.

Number of .pas files in 0.A.2.B.jasshelper = 35
    Number of .pas files in new jasshelper = 58

Well hurray, jasshelper is not so hard any more, maybe now you can do it too.
    For starters you can do things you were complaining about.
    Nestharus can update modules to take arguments like macros.
    Dr Super Good can implement for-group loop so it does not destroy the group.

6. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Actually, it meant that we didn't want to do it, not that we couldn't do it ; P.

So is Super Good, and so am I >.<, lol.

That is good to hear =o, lol. Only thing it needs to go on to now is like google code or an svn repo because multiple people can't be updating it like this. Actually, an svn repo would be best methinks ; ).

7. cohadar

cohadar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Some philosophies of thought claim than not having the will to do something is the same as not being able to do something.

I prefer Mercurial for version control.

If you are serious about helping I can always create one more sourceforge project.

8. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm saying that if you want people to get in on the action, you should put it online for versioning and so on ; ).

9. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Dr Super Good certainly isn't.

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    For 1 and a half more years. Of which 1 year is spent on specalist subjects which are largly unrelated to general software engineering so I am prety much a software engineer. Yes he should have more practile experience seeing how he should have 7 years of work experience or a docterate and 4 years of work experience but that purly influence how confident he is at making changes and how efficiently they can be made and not that people like me without all that can not make them.

The fact is that if he makes changes like this the standard version of JASShelper then THW has to adopt it for its spell resources and scripting help. I do not think adding illogical structures is a way to improve JASShelper constructivly. We have enough nonsense to deal with already using normal JASS (such as no code arrays) and do not need more like for loops which empty the contense of a group. I do not mind the concept but to avoid implicit confusion it should be given a different syntax.

11. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    /agree

Updating the standards requires adherence to what people expect or vast improvement that proves that the old methodology was wrong. The group enum for loop accomplishes neither of these.

/thinks he sounded cool just now

12. cohadar

cohadar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Anyone who has ever done a single group loop with FirstOfGroup expects the group to be empty after it, like I said jass is not a general purpose language, and jassers are not software students.

The group enum accomplishes exactly what it was designed to accomplish,
    making group spells easy to write and easy to read.
    I am not going to add an ugly keyword in front of it just to satisfy someones ideas of "logical"
    If you want to complain to someone complain to blizzard for not adding proper group iterators.

In the mean time we will do it my way because I am the one doing all the work. Which in any way does not suggest that I don't know what I am doing or that I will add crazy shit into jasshelper.

13. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:

Yea, but then that means that the community likely won't use what you're making. If you don't make what the community wants, then the community doesn't accept it ; \.

Unless you're doing this for fun, it'd be pretty pointless to update jasshelper then wouldn't it? : P

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  14. cohadar

cohadar

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with what you said.

15. watermelon_1234

watermelon_1234

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This looks interesting. I'm going to wait before I actually update to this though because it does make my compile time longer than the older one.

16. mckill2009

mckill2009

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    wow you guys are computer engineers and/or 'will be', me not engineer nor
    programmer nor will be(maybe), my english is not even as good as you guys
    yet I know these things in less than 6 months, but anyway who gives a
    s***, coz Im just a plain man who likes to mod WC3 and I bet you
    like it also...so cut the crap & update Jasshelper as efficient as possible...

I think you should put an option if a user wants the unit to be removed from
    the group loop just like bj_wantDestroyGroup coz seriously, not all people
    want it that way...who needs the ForGroup native anyway if this can be
    done correctly?...

17. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The problem is there is no fast way to do that mechanic. Ofcourse it is possible but it will result in slow code.

18. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Right!!!

anyways this looks cool, gotta subscribe... ^_^

always loved that "for" and "while" loops...

and yeah, I think its better if you don't remove the units inside the group and just let people add a groupclear command after the loop if they want it, or better yet add 2 versions, one which clears the group and one that doesn't...

19. cohadar

cohadar

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's just a psychological effect because now you can also see progress text, not just flashing progress bar.

Anyways I am currently adding C proprocessor to jass,
    so I was wondering does anyone actually need that.

20. Troll-Brain

Troll-Brain

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You mean that we can have defines ?

Also for the First Of Group Loop, maybe you could use the accronym fog, instead of for.
    This way, the user always keeps in mind that is not an usual for.
    It could be a terrible idea, but i had to say it.

Also i'm quite sure that using a fog loop and a dummy group would still be more efficient that using a ForGroup call, just because each ForGroup call opens a new thread.
    Well, i'm curious enough to test it right now.

EDIT : Hmm, no you can't use a fog loop on a group which is kept during time, because a ghost unit (unit removed of the game) will return null when FirstOfGroup will be called.