• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jasshelper 2011-12-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I've tried to convert the delphi project consolejasser.dpr in a lazarus project with the tool made for that, but there is still windows stuff, and comment it didn't help.
Ofc i suppose it could still be compiled for linux, but that's not so easy, it requires to edit the code and i have not the knowledge to do it, nor the willing to learn.

Level 6
Ideally it would be text-based, and from a ".j" file.

However, he does say he has some .mpq extracting utility on the server, so it's possible that it can grab war3map.j from the map, compile it, then throw the map back at the user, in the best case scenario.

//! include and //! external directives would still not work.
And //! external is used very often these days (ObjectMerger and LUA)

If you wanted online compilation of whole maps your best option would be putting it on a windows server.

The thing I don't understand is why would anyone want to compile maps online?
If you have a Macintosh it would be both faster and easier to install WMware.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
The group-for loops work great, however the integer-for loops work a bit awkwardly when compiled.

Currently they do this:

JASS:
        //====== for i = 0 to 7  ======//
        set i = (0) - 1
        loop
            set i = i + 1
            exitwhen i > (7)
            call SetUnitColor(OpenCinematic__warChaser[i], PLAYER_COLOR_RED)
            call SetWidgetLife(OpenCinematic__warChaser[i], 0.406)
        endloop // endfor

I don't know what's the point of adding the "()" wrapper since no optimizer is going to remove that, we're just adding obesity (albeit a small amount). Another problem is, in the beginning, you add 1 for "downto loops" and you subtract 1 for "to loops".

It would work just fine if the compiler did the following, instead:

JASS:
        //====== for i = 0 to 7  ======//
        set i = 0
        loop
            exitwhen i > 7
            call SetUnitColor(OpenCinematic__warChaser[i], PLAYER_COLOR_RED)
            call SetWidgetLife(OpenCinematic__warChaser[i], 0.406)
            set i = i + 1
        endloop // endfor

Looking at the source code (consolejasser/stage2/Structs02) I can see that it is split into two tokens, the "for" and "endfor". While I don't know pascal I can imagine it would be easy enough to set a boolean flag that says whether or not to include the "set i = i +/-1" part when you process a closing "endfor" block.

Otherwise, great work on this compiler. The loading of blizzard.j/common.j has been the bottleneck of JassHelper parsing for me for the past couple years and you just cut compile time by 3/4 for me.

Last edited:
Level 6
parentheses () are pure semantic elements, they affect only ordering of operations so there is no obesity there.
The reason they are used is in cases when boundaries of a loop are not simple integers.

The reason +1/-1 trick is used is to make all closing statements semantically equivalent.
endloop, endfor, endwhile are all synonyms.

In general, there are very good reasons for every design decision I make.
I have experience with this stuff:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/parapascal/

Both theory and practice of compilers are known to me so there is no need to worry about the background of jasshelper here.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
@Cohadar, honestly the closing statements don't have to be all identical with how they are parsed. It would honestly just involve a string queue (first in, last out) and if it's a "downto" or a "to" loop you can insert the unique string into the queue, and remove it from the queue when you hit an "endfor" token. You would just store an empty string for things like "for u in group".

Level 6
Tnx moyack.

@Troll-Brain
Search for a word "operator" inside jasshelpermanual.
And than imagine Nestharus doing crazy shit with operator overloading.

@Bribe
Compilers are not just about compiling proper code.
What if you have nested loops but you forgot to close one of them?
How would you do error reporting there?

I take great joy in seeing you two reverting to BJism madness.
It assures me that the latest version is really stable :)

Level 17
I'm not sure what you are talking about by "reverting to BJism madness", but it is a while now that i'm no more a speedfreak dude.
Now, i would still not use your "while not loop", coz of what i've already told you on wc3c.net, but the for loops really cut off verbosity, so i might use them (or not, i'm still not sure).
At least, i'm already using the "for unit in group" loop.

I've read the jasshelper documentation again, and even if your for loops are used in a struct where the operator ">" is overloaded, i still can't find a case where the () are needed.

Level 6
Maybe the case does not exist, maybe it does?
The fact is I personally am not totally sure it would be safe to remove them.
My programming instincts tell me to do it the standard way.
Like I said, parentheses are pure semantic elements, they just order precedence, so there is really no real reason to remove them except saving 2 bytes in input script.

I am doing some mayor refactoring, all this talk just seems irrelevant to me now.
New error reporting style is coming and new function interfaces are coming, prepare yourself to be amazed.

Level 6
@Bribe
Function interfaces will not change on the outside.
But new implementation will be faster, safer and will not generate parts that are not needed.

But before I can do them I must finish new bug reporting mechanism.

Currently bug reporting in jasshelper shows you the compiled text when it catches error in later stages. This is ugly and confusing.

New mechanism will ALWAYS give you error report on your original (uncompiled) text.

Level 31
An idea that a lot of people have been wanting if you haven't yet implemented

Top down ordering of methods inside of a struct to prevent trigger evaluation generation when implementing modules. If it's impossible to order a given method, then and only then generate a trigger for it (I'd prefer if it displayed an error myself though). This will make it so that we don't have to create 2-3 modules to implement to prevent triggers from being generated.

Also, if a method is to be inlined, it should never be generating a trigger ^)^.

Automatic fixing of returned local non arg handles ; O (yes, they do leak pointers).

JASS:
function ReturnSomething takes nothing returns unit
    local unit u = CreateUnit(Player(0), 'hfoo', 0, 0, 0)

return u //leak!
endfunction

to

JASS:
globals
    unit returnUnt
endglobals
function ReturnSomething takes nothing returns unit
    local unit u = CreateUnit(Player(0), 'hfoo', 0, 0, 0)

set returnUnit = u
    set u = null
    return returnUnit //no longer leaks ^)^
endfunction

Only 1 variable should be generated for any given handle (please don't spam 1 for every function).

Eventually, at some point, it would be cool to be able to access object editor data from JASS. You could store it in a dictionary or something and then when you see something like Objects, you'll know that they want to read from the dictionary.

for example
Objects["units"]['hpea']["usei"]

And if something is an array of items
Objects["units]['hpea']["utra"][0]

From there, should be able to use some sort of reflection to figure out the returned item for a given array (if the item may have been an upgrade, a unit, an item, or w/e). Also should include some nice polymorphism. For example, items, upgrades, and units share gold and lumber costs ; ).

Objects["units"]['hpea']["ureq"][0].type("units")?

This would ofc be a feature for a much later date. It would make some libs like GetUnitCollision deprecated. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate this ; ).

Level 17
Nestharus said:
I'd prefer if it displayed an error myself though

This one is already possible, add the tag [forcemethodevaluate] to jasshelper.conf.
I also personnaly use [noshadowfixer]

EDIT : And now that i'm thinking about it i would also use [noimplicitthis].

JASS:
struct S

integer data

method m takes integer data returns nothing
        set (this).data = data
        // "set data = data" wouldn't work so well, and even if does , the syntax is senseless
    endmethod

endstruct

Level 6
Yes everybody has ideas about what I should do for them.
But when I ask for a little help with writing tests noone is around.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
All this reminds me of LaTeX and how unusuable it is to do anything functional...

I would much rather see merging of Vexorian's script optimizer into JassHelper than new features that people use just because they think it is clever to use instead of actually because they are needed.

Automatic fixing of returned local non arg handles ; O (yes, they do leak pointers).
Not possible. There are situations where some handles are never removed so the reference counter is purposly left to leak as part of an optimization (eg local players which can never be truely destroyed). Some maps might also implement recycling systems for objects like timers and groups which again are unaffected by reference leaks due to never getting destroyed.

Eventually, at some point, it would be cool to be able to access object editor data from JASS. You could store it in a dictionary or something and then when you see something like Objects, you'll know that they want to read from the dictionary.
Or you could just mod StarCraft II where the game nativly supports such functionality. I would leave it at a macro command atmost which would look up the value at precompiler time.

Since we are covering pointless features, how about the ability to set arrays neatly?
set array = {N...a,b,c,d,e,etc}
Where N is an initial offset.

integer array arr
// set index 0 to 1 ... etc ... index 4 to 5
set arr = {1,2,3,4,5}
// set index 5 to 1 ... etc ... index 9 to 5
set arr = {5...1,2,3,4,5}
// also needs multi line support
Code:
set arr = {5...
              5}

The precopiler generates the following.
set array = {N...a,b,c,etc}
becomes
JASS:
set array[N] = a
set array[N+1] = b
set array[N+2] = c

Obviously you apply a numeric constants optimizer to it so that an expression like
set arr = {5...1,2,3} // N is a constant
becomes
JASS:
set arr[5] = 1
set arr[6] = 2
set arr[7] = 3

The reason to introduce such a feature is to greatly improve the usability of arrays when storing bulk data (such as table entries).

Lets say we have a wave system for a towerdefense. Currently one has to apply a set line for each entry (wave) and compute the index manually. If you compute the index dynamicly then you incure a performance penalty for no reason (as the indexes you are setting are constant). With this feature it would allow you to set all waves with a single set statement and make changes such as deletion or insertion without having to recompute all the constant indexes. This becomes very user friendly for people to use such a system as they are modifying a table like structure rather than JASS arrays which a lot of people do not undertstand.

Even though it would support dynamic offsets, the advantage purly becomes code neatness rather than ease of use.

Level 6
Finally someone with a good idea.
Multi line support is really hard to add thou since jass is line oriented language.

also syntax could be better, for example:
JASS:
set myArray[5..] = "five", "six", "seven", "eight"

EDIT:
lol I just realized THIS is what SLK files are about.
http://www.wc3c.net/vexorian/jasshelpermanual.html#slk

Vexorian left so many things badly documented that you can often find he already implemented something you need, but you just never heard about it.

Last edited:
Level 17
Some native functions don't work or even make wc3 crash if they are used in the global definition.

For example CreateRegion doesn't work, while GetLocalPlayer make wc3 crash.
It could be easily fixed by setting the globals in the main function instead.
But maybe it's just too much, it's just a suggestion.

It would allow even more fancy stuff, such as using custom functions.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
It would be pretty annoying to find out which ones don't work and which ones don't, and add them to a list which gets added to the main function, so the compiler can change what the user could have changed already. It would also need an ExecuteFunc of its own, to avoid op limit risks.

Now that library initializers are run with the same priority as modules, it's not adding a lot of work to the user to move the occasional Rect/CreateUnit/Item/Destructable/Region call to that dedicated function.

Level 17
It would be pretty annoying to find out which ones don't work and which ones don't, and add them to a list which gets added to the main function, so the compiler can change what the user could have changed already. It would also need an ExecuteFunc of its own, to avoid op limit risks.

The thing is that you don't need to find them, just make the false assumption that they are not working correctly.
I mean move all globals definition in the main function.
About the op-limit, you would have to init several thousands of globals to reach it.
Now instead of be included directly in the main function, it could be used in a custom dedicaced function, and then called through ExecuteFunc in the main function.
The only cost will be few bytes more (the variables names will be used 2 times instead of just one, and with an additional "set ")

Now that library initializers are run with the same priority as modules, it's not adding a lot of work to the user to move the occasional Rect/CreateUnit/Item/Destructable/Region call to that dedicated function.

It's clearly not the OMG-i-need-this-feature-so-much, in fact i don't care that much.
I just find it as a neat feature, and is in my to-do list for my own jass pre-processor (just because i can)

Level 17
Sure, but you're not allowed to use CreateUnit,Rect and such, sure it's clearly not a big deal.
Also as said, then you would be allowed to use custom functions instead of just natives one.

But it's probably too overkilled for the providen feature.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
@Cohadar,

Global blocks are currently parsed before static if's, so if you want to avoid generating certain globals under certain preprocessor conditions, you have to use struct members.

Try to compile this, it will still generate the "poop" integer.

JASS:
static if false then
    globals
        integer poop = 'fart'
    endglobals
endif

I hope this is an easy one to fix, to just move the parsing precedence of globals lower than static if's.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
For example CreateRegion doesn't work, while GetLocalPlayer make wc3 crash.
It could be easily fixed by setting the globals in the main function instead.
But maybe it's just too much, it's just a suggestion.
Except this makes the pre-compiler start to modify the funcionality of the code. This is not a good idea as it encourages people to script badly and rely on the precompiler to make it work rather than script properly in the first place.

Level 31
Breaks this map

Specifically this resource -> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-resources-412/system-timer-tools-201165/

edit
this jasshelper generates some weird stuff in my map..
JASS:
function sc__SummonHandler_create takes integer unitTypeId,real x,real y,real facing,real x2,real y2,real facing2,integer owner,integer count,integer checkpoint1,integer checkpoint2 returns integer
set f__arg_integer1=unitTypeId
set f__arg_real1=x
set f__arg_real2=y
set f__arg_real3=facing
set f__arg_real4=x2
set f__arg_real5=y2
set f__arg_real6=facing2
set f__arg_integer2=owner
set f__arg_integer3=count
set f__arg_integer4=checkpoint1
set f__arg_integer5=checkpoint2
call TriggerEvaluate(st__SummonHandler_create)
return f__result_integer
endfunction

Note that SummonHandler is a struct that extends an array and that function is not called anywhere in the compiled script. Everything that calls it either uses that library or is not in a library.

Here are some other weird ones..
JASS:
function sc___prototype38_execute takes integer i,integer a1,integer a2 returns nothing
set f__arg_integer1=a1
set f__arg_integer2=a2
call TriggerExecute(st___prototype38[i])
endfunction
function sc___prototype38_evaluate takes integer i,integer a1,integer a2 returns nothing
set f__arg_integer1=a1
set f__arg_integer2=a2
call TriggerEvaluate(st___prototype38[i])
endfunction

What those are I have absolutely no idea..

edit
apparently Warcraft 3 doesn't need new line characters to separate lines out??

check out war3map.j. That is the script optimized by cjass for my map... my map runs and everything using that script... removing all of the spacing/comments and what not cut my script size down by a little more than 50%.

Attachments

• AuraStruct.w3x
    65 KB · Views: 53
  • war3map.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Level 6
That stupidly names library is using variable named to
JASS:
private function CQ takes integer f, real to, code c returns integer

You should know by now that "to" is a keyword

this jasshelper generates some weird stuff in my map..
What those are I have absolutely no idea..
Those are just .evaluate() and .execute() and similar dynamic function calls you are fond of. (overriden methods perhaps?)

apparently Warcraft 3 doesn't need new line characters to separate lines out??
Apparently you don't know the difference between windows and mac newline characters which is disturbing considering your chosen profession.

Level 31
Apparently you don't know the difference between windows and mac newline characters which is disturbing considering your chosen profession.
I've like never ever worked with mac >.>.

Those are just .evaluate() and .execute() and similar dynamic function calls you are fond of. (overriden methods perhaps?)

0 overwritten methods and 0 .executes/.evaluates, which is where my wth comes in ;D.

You should know by now that "to" is a keyword
The fact is that this broke previously working scripts and maps ^)^, but I'm sure you don't care about breaking what works with vex's jh.

Level 6
Yes yes I know, I am a terrible tyrant.

I just invalidate a few script to build awesome new loops,
and you complain when you get a nice error message about it.

Neron burned down the Rome and you did not even get a warning about it, so stop complaining.

Level 31
Yes yes I know, I am a terrible tyrant.

I just invalidate a few script to build awesome new loops,
and you complain when you get a nice error message about it.

Neron burned down the Rome and you did not even get a warning about it, so stop complaining.

but shouldn't your thing be backwards compatible with vex's jasshelper?

You can fix this error.. just do some more intelligent parsing to determine if the to keyword belongs to a for loop or not.

Level 17
The question is :

Does it really worth it ?
Reserved keywords are not meant to be used as a variable name, even the vJass abuse like that is a really terrible practice :

JASS:
struct S

integer integer

endstruct

Sure, these keywords were introduced later, but it doesn't really make sense to use them anyway and the fix is easy.

Off-topic :

Btw is "unix" newline characters '\n' are supported for a mapscript ? (i can test it myself, but if you know it ...)

Level 31
Does it really worth it ?
Reserved keywords are not meant to be used as a variable name, even the vJass abuse like that is a really terrible practice :

Is it really worth maintaining backwards compatibility? Yes.

The big thing about this is that it's supposed to be backwards compatible with regular vjass. If you want to add new keywords, that's your problem. They shouldn't be breaking previously working scripts.

The for to thing is easy to fix. You can just find out if the line starts with "for " (ignoring comments and space) or not. For while, you can check if the line starts with "while " or not. For all of your other keywords, same deal. It's extremely easy to fix... you should probably be doing for this all keywords. loop is a keyword if line starts with loop, etc.

Breaking backwards compatibility for a major resource like jasshelper is not cool, and if you can fix it (which you can rather easily), you should.

Level 17
Ok, let's rephrase it, how many guys on the earth use such shorts names as "to" for their variable and method names, comparing to the other don't at all ?

"to,while,endwhile,for,in,endfor" are new reserved keyword, take it and "handle" it.

Not to mention that even if you don't use the new loops if you want a proper init without the module abuse this jasshelper is already needed.
I mean the pros are much better than this "con", so take your ego off and change your variable/method/whatever names.

Level 31
Not to mention that even if you don't use the new loops if you want a proper init without the module abuse this jasshelper is already needed.
I mean the pros are much better than this "con", so take your ego off and change your variable/method/whatever names.

Breaking backwards compatibility for a major resource is a major no no. If it can be fixed, it should be fixed -.-. I've already provided the very easy solution. With regex, it's a 5-10 minute fix...

Level 17
Blablabla *2, as usually you over-exaggerate a little thing that can be "fixed" easily, and shouldn't even exist in the first place anyway (to is a really poor name).

You're not going to convince me, neither i will convince you, so end of story for me.

Level 6
With regex, it's a 5-10 minute fix...
It is a 5-10 seconds fix if you simply change that variable name.

You cannot really say compatibility is broken if updating your map takes less than 30 seconds and compiler tells you exactly what you need to do.

Btw any "suggestions" you make about jasshelper are going to the bottom of priority list until you do some community work.
Specifically writing tests for //! externalblock directive since it is obviously "your thing"

Same goes for you Troll-Brain.
I expect you to make some good Module tests (at least 3) that will test every possible use of Modules.
(They are obviously one of the most used advanced vjass features so it is paramount that EVERYTHING about them is under proper test)

@adic3x
Thank you for nice wishes.

Level 17
Cohadar said:
Btw any "suggestions" you make about jasshelper are going to the bottom of priority list until you do some community work.

Sounds a bit childish, i mean the suggestions should be considered only depends on their potential usefulness, no matter who said them.
Now if you use "" to highlight the stupid suggestions, just ignore them.
I mean it's not because someone help you by provide test codes or anything else, that he should be rewarded by implementing a dumb feature that no-one-will-ever-use-except-the-guy.

Hopefully i think you are enough mature to get this obvious fact, but i just found your sentence weird.

Anyway i've done one test, but i don't think i will post more, i'm an lazy-ass after all. (seriously)

Level 6
Anyway i've done one test, but i don't think i will post more, i'm an lazy-ass after all. (seriously)

Working on jasshelper is serious and hard work, also one that demands responsibility because of compatibility issues.
That is where tests come in.

I don't care what you think it is childish, and I am serious about priority statement above.
The amount of work that is needed to do those tests is insignificant compared to the amount of work I spend on jasshelper.

Right now watermelon_1234, Fledermaus and Bribe have request priority because of their contributions.
Work is rewarded with virtual coins, there is nothing childish about that, it is simple economy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.