Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Jass NewGen Pack Replacement Discussion

Discussion in 'Warcraft Editing Tools' started by MindWorX, Dec 19, 2016.

1. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

2. Barade

Barade

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    thx but what does this mean for the JNGP now? Will this replacement have another TESH version? Do I have to update TESH manually? Has JNGP 2.0 an updated TESH version by now?

3. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    lfh has already fixed that specific issue with TESH, but hasn't released the update for it yet. The same kind of goes for MindWorX: he has replaced the lfh's TESH with an older, but more stable version, but hasn't released the update.

4. RollBoat

RollBoat

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Nice to hear that people still work on this tool,but can i ask or give suggestions,which will surely be ignored!

Which of the limits are on the table to be decoded?
    Is the map canvas size limit on the table?
    if so can we get some extension of the limit?

And..........................................
    -will there be more than 16 tiles?
    -will there be unit formation extention option(When reducing the size of units)?
    -will there be map size greater than 512x512?
    -Will you increase the cliff level,high?

thank you!

5. Barade

Barade

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, are you still working on this? It would be really really helpful!

@RollBoat
    16 tiles are a hard coded limit: W3M and W3X Files Format see section 4) "war3map.w3e" The environment

Each tilepoint uses a 4 bit index to refer a ground texture type and another 4 bit index to refer a cliff texture type: 2^4 = 16

For the map size you would have to check some center offset value limits as well. Apart from that the type int has 4 bytes, so theoretically there should be much much bigger maps? I am not sure about other hard coded limitations.

Some more ideas for a new JNGP:
    - Add a menu entry for widgetizing/optimizing the map: I think in JNGP 2.0 you already had the possibility to add an entry for optimizing the map but not for widgetizing it. It would be very very useful to have the standard tools (war3mapoptimizer by Vexorian and Widgetizer by PitzerMike or the other Chinese guy) in the JNGP and one could easily optimize the map to another path by applying the two tools in correct order. This would save me much work of writing Batch scripts. When widgetizing the map, one must select a War3Patch.mpq/War3Locale.mpq since the string entries etc. are required. This should be done automatically by using the Warcraft III installation (from the registry or a relative path).
    - Add a menu entry to validate all tooltips: Tooltips refer values <A000,DataA1> etc. Those values can be checked statically. For example A000 might not exist or DataA1 might not be the name of a valid field.
    - Include JASS Checker if it works properly.
    - Include JassParser (but only if the latest pjass still has some issues).

Optional stuff (which works with external tools and does not need to be added directly to the workflow with one map):
    - Add a menu entry to compress object data: Compressing object data, removing unnecessary fields Sometimes you change fields for a hero ability and make an item ability from it but the field modifications will stay. Besides modified values can be compared to the default values and reset if they are the same. I guess this might be too much work but it worked for my maps in wc3lib with the exception of two fields or something which I have to fix.
    - Mod creator: There are different possibilities to create a total conversation of Warcraft III without any size limits (except the MPQ archive size limit). One is MPQDraft, another is changing the AllowLocalFiles registry entry and another one is to modify the War3Patch.mpq file for the current installation. Since .exe files created with MPQDraft don't work on Windows 8 and 10, the other possibilities are prefered. It would be cool to have a menu entry/GUI for creating real modifications. For example you could select your custom MPQ and it creates a modification.

6. MindWorX

MindWorX

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    JNGP is slowly reaching it's final version, and will be replaced with something I'll announce this weekend.

Those are some awesome suggestions @Barade, absolutely withing the realm of possibilities since it is primarily concerned with processing maps/files. I've noted them down for the replacement.

7. Sulfar

Sulfar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Integrating the editor with hive resources so you can automatically import them into your map(and give credits?) would be great

8. Clamp

Clamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    @MindWorX what do you think about cJass (aka Adic Helper) support?

9. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I don't think it's a tool that should be included by default. AFIAK cJass has it's issues and isn't the most stable.

10. EdwardElric

EdwardElric

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, also want to join here for one tiny wish:
    In default World Edit, everytime you run it & open your map, you have to adjust your desired settings.
    - showed grid size (hotkey 'G') starting with 128, cycling through: 128 --> 32 --> none --> 512 --> 128 --> ...
    - showed path (hotkey 'P') starting with off, toggling to on
    - lighting (hotkey "L") starting with on, toggling to off
    - etc.

I would like to see that your World Editor remembers the last setting or that you can configure these settings somewhere as new defaults.
    For example my settings are:
    - show smallest grid in 32
    - show path
    - don't show light

i have to readjust those settings with each start of WE. It isn't causing much work, but the eternal repeat of those adjustments is a waste!
    Would be awesome if you could implement such a feature!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  11. MindWorX

MindWorX

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I obviously haven't checked, but from the sound of it, that sounds like a very doable feature.

12. Clamp

Clamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    TBH, last cJass version were stable.