• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Jass like Java?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JASS is by far not as powerful as JAVA or any other true programming language.
It's just for scripting in world editor.
JASS is also not oop, but you should be able to learn it pretty fast if you can handle any other common language.

And as Flux mentioned, you can use JNGP to use JassHelper. JassHelper allows you to write in vJASS, which tries to mimic oop.

JASS is by far not as powerful as JAVA or any other true programming language.
It's just for scripting in world editor.
JASS is also not oop, but you should be able to learn it pretty fast if you can handle any other common language.

And as Flux mentioned, you can use JNGP to use JassHelper. JassHelper allows you to write in vJASS, which tries to mimic oop.

You can't really compare them since JASS is a scripting language and Java is a programming language. I think what he was asking was whether the syntax is similar.

And yes, vJASS syntax is actually quite similar to Java.

I didn't find it THAT similar unless I heard of Zinc.

I mean sure C made me understand how structs work which I failed to understand before but the syntax is quite different.
The syntax is different, but Jass actually allows (and requires) some memory management, which is mostly behind-the-scenes in Java.

In terms of look, I think the common comparison is with the Turing language:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_(programming_language)
Or Lua (it is a bit of a stretch):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

But in general, JASS is kinda its own thing. It helps to know a programming language since it shares general features (function calls, local/global/parameter variables, return control-flow, etc.) but the syntax is far more verbose than other languages (especially with the set, call, and takes keywords).

More formally, the grammar of the language is very recognizable and is very similar in form to other languages. The syntax is very different from Java and most programming languages, unless you are talking about vJASS (but even then, the syntax is different). The features of vanilla JASS can be compared to ANSI C (no classes, memory managed), and vJASS can be compared to Java (OOP). But since vJASS is built on top of JASS, you can't always make the same assumptions as you can in other languages!

Level 13
Jass is like c but written like python. It doesnt have class only structs. Java is easier to use as it is more powerful and more apis are exposed now. Honestly i dont do jass but i read some of the works of other modders.

I use C# which has classes, figured the original had as well.

C# is heavily influenced by Java, while the original C is a very low-level language which translates quite directly into machine code. C has almost no fancy functionalities from the get-go, it doesn't even have boolean variable types (you have to typedef these yourself, lol). They have very little in common, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.