• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Is it still worth using JNGP and how can I see how many objects there are on the map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
If you want the most utility JNGP is the way to go. If you don't need all the utility that JNGP has then go for WEX.
However, these options require older version of the game.
Until the editor has been patched with everything we had, I would recommend keeping an older version of the game around.

1)No it's worth it using it but you can learn from it few things
2)what do you mean by seeing numbers of objects?
The limit 30k is only so the map doesn't lag or cause crashes.
1) I don't really understand what you said
2) A user below answered that ^^

Hit F11 to display the object manager, it will show the number of doodads and stuff on your map.
Thank you, I didn't know that!

JNGP was superseded by WEX, which you can download from this site. Both are mostly unnecessary if your WE is updated to 1.30+
If you want the most utility JNGP is the way to go. If you don't need all the utility that JNGP has then go for WEX.
However, these options require older version of the game.
Until the editor has been patched with everything we had, I would recommend keeping an older version of the game around.
It's not that I don't like WEX, but to me it doesn't feel like that much of an improvement. Also...
The thing I needed the most was an increased limit to the number of placed doodads, so...
I tested the limits of JNGP myself and it exceeds 30k doodads placed. I handplaced 35k doodads and the map was saved and tested properly.
The 1.30 version still supports only 30k, I tested it.
The reason I am asking is beacause I am working on a really ambitious project for which I do need over 30k doodads.
Now, as Chaosium pointed out, I can see that there's a separate limit for trees and other doodads, and also a 256 limit to the items number.

My new question is: is the limit of doodads separate from the limit of trees? I really don't want to place 30k doodads again to find out...
Also, the limit for items is for number of placed items in game or custom created items?
By the way, thanks a lot for the answers so far.

Level 20
Now, as Chaosium pointed out, I can see that there's a separate limit for trees and other doodads, and also a 256 limit to the items number.

I see 1024 as item limit in my World editor (current live version), at least that's what the object manager says. Do you real plan to have so many items? 1024 is huuuuuge already!

I can't tell whether it only concerns pre-placed objects or not, and I don't feel like creating 1000+ items in a map to find out ^^

I see 1024 as item limit in my World editor (current live version), at least that's what the object manager says. Do you real plan to have so many items? 1024 is huuuuuge already!

I can't tell whether it only concerns pre-placed objects or not, and I don't feel like creating 1000+ items in a map to find out ^^
I think I was looking at the JNGP limit then, I opened and closed both of them so much that I mix them up now hah.
I am not sure how much 256 means actually. Doesn't sound like that much, but the project I am working on is massive.
1024 is more than enough probably.

Doodads != Destructables as far as I know, and trees are the latter.
Interesting. Meanwhile, I read in a blue post something saying that trees outside the playable editor (in the black borders) still count to the maximum number of objects.
Either way I'll be using JNGP, no problem with that.

Level 39
Do you mean preplaceditems on the ground or OE items? If the latter you should be aware that with the new item/spell tooltip modifying natives you can make dynamic items instead of creating every possible item in the OE beforehand.

Level 39
Yeah you'll need to add the appropriate stats/abilities to units with triggers (there are new natives for changing armor, attack damage base/range, max hp/mp, etc. now too!) when they acquire the item, but if you can store all of that info in a data structure then it's actually relatively straightforward. For abilities you may want to add that would normally show on the command card (say an item that grants brilliance aura), there are also new natives that allow you to disable/enable an ability and disable/enable an ability showing on the UI for a particular unit at a time (rather than just a per-player disable) so you won't even need to fuck with hidden spellbooks. (0,-11) button position still works, too, though.

Yeah you'll need to add the appropriate stats/abilities to units with triggers (there are new natives for changing armor, attack damage base/range, max hp/mp, etc. now too!) when they acquire the item, but if you can store all of that info in a data structure then it's actually relatively straightforward. For abilities you may want to add that would normally show on the command card (say an item that grants brilliance aura), there are also new natives that allow you to disable/enable an ability and disable/enable an ability showing on the UI for a particular unit at a time (rather than just a per-player disable) so you won't even need to fuck with hidden spellbooks. (0,-11) button position still works, too, though.

Awesome
I will look into that
Thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.