1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[General] Is it still worth using JNGP and how can I see how many objects there are on the map?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by daverave1212, Oct 23, 2018.

1. daverave1212

daverave1212

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello.

I wanted to ask a couple things.
    1) Is it still worth using JNGP if I don't use Jass, after all the updates to the world editor?
    2) How can I see the number of objects on my map?
    I know the new limit is 30000, but that still sounds a bit low.
    Is there a way to increase it even further on the latest patch(es)?

Thank you!

2. Veldris

Veldris

Resources:
    Resources:
    1)No it's worth it using it but you can learn from it few things
    2)what do you mean by seeing numbers of objects?
    The limit 30k is only so the map doesn't lag or cause crashes.

3. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    JNGP was superseded by WEX, which you can download from this site. Both are mostly unnecessary if your WE is updated to 1.30+

4. Chaosium

Chaosium

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hit F11 to display the object manager, it will show the number of doodads and stuff on your map.

5. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you want the most utility JNGP is the way to go. If you don't need all the utility that JNGP has then go for WEX.
    However, these options require older version of the game.
    Until the editor has been patched with everything we had, I would recommend keeping an older version of the game around.

6. daverave1212

daverave1212

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1) I don't really understand what you said
    2) A user below answered that ^^

Thank you, I didn't know that!

It's not that I don't like WEX, but to me it doesn't feel like that much of an improvement. Also...
    The thing I needed the most was an increased limit to the number of placed doodads, so...
    I tested the limits of JNGP myself and it exceeds 30k doodads placed. I handplaced 35k doodads and the map was saved and tested properly.
    The 1.30 version still supports only 30k, I tested it.
    The reason I am asking is beacause I am working on a really ambitious project for which I do need over 30k doodads.
    Now, as Chaosium pointed out, I can see that there's a separate limit for trees and other doodads, and also a 256 limit to the items number.

My new question is: is the limit of doodads separate from the limit of trees? I really don't want to place 30k doodads again to find out...
    Also, the limit for items is for number of placed items in game or custom created items?
    By the way, thanks a lot for the answers so far.

7. Chaosium

Chaosium

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I see 1024 as item limit in my World editor (current live version), at least that's what the object manager says. Do you real plan to have so many items? 1024 is huuuuuge already!

I can't tell whether it only concerns pre-placed objects or not, and I don't feel like creating 1000+ items in a map to find out ^^

8. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Doodads != Destructables as far as I know, and trees are the latter.

9. daverave1212

daverave1212

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think I was looking at the JNGP limit then, I opened and closed both of them so much that I mix them up now hah.
    I am not sure how much 256 means actually. Doesn't sound like that much, but the project I am working on is massive.
    1024 is more than enough probably.

Interesting. Meanwhile, I read in a blue post something saying that trees outside the playable editor (in the black borders) still count to the maximum number of objects.
    Either way I'll be using JNGP, no problem with that.

10. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Do you mean preplaceditems on the ground or OE items? If the latter you should be aware that with the new item/spell tooltip modifying natives you can make dynamic items instead of creating every possible item in the OE beforehand.

11. daverave1212

daverave1212

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wait really?
    Wow, I had no idea.
    That sounds totally awesome!

12. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yeah you'll need to add the appropriate stats/abilities to units with triggers (there are new natives for changing armor, attack damage base/range, max hp/mp, etc. now too!) when they acquire the item, but if you can store all of that info in a data structure then it's actually relatively straightforward. For abilities you may want to add that would normally show on the command card (say an item that grants brilliance aura), there are also new natives that allow you to disable/enable an ability and disable/enable an ability showing on the UI for a particular unit at a time (rather than just a per-player disable) so you won't even need to fuck with hidden spellbooks. (0,-11) button position still works, too, though.

13. daverave1212

daverave1212

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome
    I will look into that
    Thanks for the info