• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Invisible Buff Icons after patching

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buff bar icons have been invisible since I patched to 1.28.1. Anyone else have the same issue or know how to fix it?

Screenshots of what I mean:

njtJMPR.jpg

rOiXXUF.jpg

Level 11
You misunderstand; of course it started with the patch, but it's not happening for everyone. Which means it's something to do with setup or settings.

The "fault" lies with the patch, but to fix it Blizz needs to know what is causing it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Do these buffs use custom BLP files? If so then the files are damaged/corrupt. If they used to work but do not anymore it is because WC3 is more strict with loading BLP files than it used to be and most converter tools were written using a wrong BLP specification.

What hardware are you using? It can easily be a graphic driver bug. Especially possible if you use Intel integrated graphics.
Geforce GTX 970. I highly doubt its my graphics driver, though. Also it seems that this only goes for the menu background. The rest of the game looks normal.

Otherwise try reinstalling. Could be a corrupted installation with many data files missing.
Tried, doesn't help. I assume this is a localization issue. Wouldn't be the first. Maybe other germans here can confirm?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Tried restarting your computer (not shutdown + start, a restart)? It seems WC3 is prone to missing assets such as buffs and special effects if the graphic driver enters some kind of buggy state. Since graphic drivers are only loaded at startup (not when resuming from hybrid sleep, the default Windows 8 and 10 shutdown mode) the buggy state can persist for a long time. What causes the buggy state is not clear, however it is generally correlated with the driver having a long life time.

Level 11
Of course the patch caused the issue, but it still might be associated with drivers. Or operating systems. Or localizations. Or what have you. If we can find a setup where the bug happens and where the bug doesn't, we can triangulate where the issue is arising from, so a later patch can fix it.

Don't think blizzard acknowledges that this bug even exists, but for what it's worth I use the US localization on windows 10. A very generic setup for Warcraft 3, so no idea why I have this issue.

@brad_c6 can we get a response from Blizzard on this please? This is a pretty important ingame functionality being lost and it hasn't been fixed or even acknowledged after 4 patches. I'd also like to emphasize that this is not only an issue in custom games, but all maps, including the campaign and melee maps.

I found the reason for this bug. Icons disappear as soon as I enable local files in the game registry (or via WEX/Newgen).

If I uncheck local file support in the editor, everything is back to normal.

However, this issue has been introduced in 1.28. Before that, having local files enabled was never a problem. Please fix this, blizzard! Local file support is important for distributing external resources with your map.

Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.