• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #16 - Poll

Icon Contest #16

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
upload_2017-9-4_9-55-49.png

upload_2017-9-4_9-55-59.png
upload_2017-9-4_9-56-3.png
upload_2017-9-4_9-56-8.png
upload_2017-9-4_9-56-23.png
upload_2017-9-4_9-56-29.png

Custom Models/Textures
upload_2017-9-4_9-57-13.png

Create 1 portrait icon and 3 ability icons for custom model/texture

upload_2017-9-4_9-57-34.png
  • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
upload_2017-9-4_10-0-2.png

Participant
EntryLink to Final Entry Post

BLazeKraze
upload_2017-9-4_10-4-40.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-4-51.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-5-1.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-5-12.jpeg
Click

Edge45
upload_2017-9-4_10-7-0.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-7-8.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-7-16.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-7-32.png
Click

~Nightmare
upload_2017-9-4_10-9-24.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-9-32.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-9-38.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-9-45.png
Click

NightStalker
upload_2017-9-4_10-11-9.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-11-17.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-11-25.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-11-33.jpeg
Click

San
upload_2017-9-4_10-12-53.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-13-3.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-13-10.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-13-17.jpeg
Click

stein123
upload_2017-9-4_10-14-54.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-15-4.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-15-14.jpeg
upload_2017-9-4_10-15-25.jpeg
Click

trebla ratilla
upload_2017-9-4_10-16-54.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-17-2.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-17-11.png
upload_2017-9-4_10-17-19.png
Click

upload_2017-9-4_9-58-56.png

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
Other Participants and judges: 5 reputation points

upload_2017-9-4_10-0-11.png

• Heinvers
  • The Panda
upload_2017-9-4_10-1-5.png

Consistency of the icons in pack
Do four drawn icons compliment each other well?10%

Blizzard style
Is the style used similar to other standard icons?10%

Theme and creativity
How quality is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. Are abilities logical for chosen unit?25%

Technical note
Technical quality of icons.55%

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
upload_2017-9-4_10-1-48.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It's killing me that we can only vote for one entrant. Multi-vote poll plox!

That being said, I nearly always vote for the most Warcraft-y, and while all of the submissions were a little off, ~Nightmare's really got it almost perfect IMO. Clear, highly-contrasted, brightly-colored & definitive icons that are quite straight-forward.

Everyone did a good job, though, and I look forward to the next Contest!

Moy

Moy

Level 49
@BLazeKraze The portrait icon looks much much better than your previous one and it really fits well with ladder icons as well. The second icon seems okay, however if I were you, I would add a rimlight since the background is bright, and stronger shadows as well (making it silhouette-y). The third icon needs to be more like The Sea Druid - the nose is really different, the eyes are flat btw. The fourth one is splendid, it could show more movement tho but it is just a preference.

@Edge4 The portrait icon needs more shading, but is an improvement judging from your previous icon works. I don't like the aura tho, well, it is just a preference. The second icon's colors are too pastel like, it needs more whites and the sword could be defined more as it blends with the effect. The third one uses pastel colors too - could add more saturation tho. The fourth one is really great, although it lacks definition. You could make the sword thicker. The colors are much better than the previous two. I don't understand why you put a white triangle in the center tho. All in all the set fits really well.

@NightStalker The portait needs zooming in, the colors could be more saturated and towards yellow-green. But I really like the facial expression, it is so strong. The second icon can be easily mistaken as a shield if not because of the description. I really like this one, just some little highlights on the axe and fixing the background effect and bam you have a blizzard like icon. The armor needs fixing, the outer glow on it made it look more wider which could be mistaken that it lacks shading. The effect could be better, or make the effect on the outer part of the armor instead. The fourth one is amazing as well, the message conveyed is very clear but effect could be better, maybe you could use red (since it depicts wrath) or orange and make it more silhouette-y

@San The portrait is good for someone's first time making a portrait icon (even much better when I did one for the first time XD), the hood needs fixing and the shoulders could be fix as it looks like he has a hump on his back or he has osteoporosis :xxd: The second one looks very anime-ish, the ice glows too bright, and the sword is an improvement. The third one's color is very pleasant to the eyes, the heart could be a little wet. The fourth one looks amazing too, the skull just needs some little fixes. Is the flower made of ice? If yes, it could be fixed tho. And is that blood coming out from the flower? Overall, looks nice but not in par with your previous contest entry.

@stein123 The portrait needs fixing, and you already know what it lacks right? XD The lineart of this icon set is pretty amazing however I'm pretty sad that it didn't look out what it supposed to look like. Like the second icon, the blood needs highlights and be thinner, the splash could be more linear and the metal needs texture. The pot's smoke would look bad ass if it looks like on the line art and it would be cool if the parts mentioned in the description can be seen. The fourth one is a bit funny tho XD, I don't like the background btw.

@trebla ratilla The portrait needs: dramatic shading, the eyes are missing? Some tooth are missing too. The second one is your best, it just needs some highlights, shading and stronger impact effect. And it needs to be sharper too, it looks blurry. The third one needs some fixing like the nose, colors and teeth. It would be cool if you created a silhouette face with red tones and with a more angry facial expression. The fourth one is too zoomed in, you could have copied the idea of BlazeKraze's second icon (just take some inspiration, don't copy paste XD). It looks fine for a first timer tho, just needs a little more practice 'coz I see some potential. :)

I'm sorry guys if there's more bad comments than good ones tho, coz I'm a negative person. :xxd: just kidding. This is just a quick review, if I go into a more detailed review then the judges won't have to deal with judging anymore and I don't know if my opinion is right and as I've said it is just a quick written review :xxd: Oh and thank you to those who voted for me, I appreciate it ♥

All in all if I would have a top three it will be BlazeKraze, Edge45 and San! With San and BlazeKraze tie on first spot.

Level 11
The portrait needs: dramatic shading, the eyes are missing? Some tooth are missing too. The second one is your best, it just needs some highlights, shading and stronger impact effect. And it needs to be sharper too, it looks blurry. The third one needs some fixing like the nose, colors and teeth. It would be cool if you created a silhouette face with red tones and with a more angry facial expression. The fourth one is too zoomed in, you could have copied the idea of BlazeKraze's second icon (just take some inspiration, don't copy paste XD). It looks fine for a first timer tho, just needs a little more practice 'coz I see some potential.
thanks for that feedback @~Nightmare . i will update that after the contest. needs more practice specially handle the mouse properly ;)

San

San

Level 32
Apparently trebla ratilla has deleted all his icons including his contest entry (and has limited us from viewing his profile).
I thought I might need to mention it here, thanks Sin for noticing that.

Level 11
i need to delete it all my icons because no ones believe it that im the one paint it so decided to stop making icons and making drawings in this site. aside from that i didn't earn money in this site. :mad:

Edit : even if i have WIPs and no one believe it so stupid......

Last edited:
i need to delete it all my icons because no ones believe it that im the one paint it so decided to stop making icons and making drawings in this site. aside from that i didn't earn money in this site. :mad:

Don't be like that mate! You should not give up. Continue making icons, I believed your work. You drew that book again and that's really enough proof. I don't know why Mods are still doubtful!

San

San

Level 32
No mods or any other user are being dOuBtFuL or saying anything like "oawuhh i dont blieve u drawed it" to him after he started uploading his WIPs one by one to his thread, which we appreciate. He just goes apeshit because he misunderstood something or simply, just because wants to. :]

Go to the Staff Contact if you think someone is treating you very cruelly.

LOL. I've been there before, my icons are more ugly than yours.
Look at these images...

icons_17156_btn.jpg
icons_17151_btn.jpg
ht7bpd.jpg
99928-9dc30f548628a79baaee61694c5ab0d8.jpg

All of the above are my previous works, the mushroom is my first icon here and it was rejected due to lack of shadings etc. I don't have any idea about digital artwork before and I'm just using a mouse (until now). But moderators and critics were always here to give constructive criticism which helps us to improve our skills. It's been 3 years since I'm making digital arts and now I can draw an approvable piece. I wont stop making icons, I always watching tutorials, studying arts and trying to make some.

//even if i have WIPs and no one believe it so stupid//

When you're first timer, you should provide an evidence or large image. It doesn't mean that your works is not yours but some people are stealing artworks for their own so moderators should be skeptic especially for those newbies.

//it so decided to stop making icons and making drawings in this site. aside from that i didn't earn money in this site//

This site is for modding, and most resources here are free. But it doesn't mean that your works are not valuable, art is art and when you provide some contributions—you already helping people. Imagine a lot of map makers don't know how to draw desired icon for their map but the good thing is, they could find it here—Thanks to the icon artists!
But if you want to get money, practice and practice and I know you can sell your icons to some websites. Game developers will buy your works if they like it.

Level 11
Money can be earned on sponsored contests if you win it.
i don't need that i already earned money in myself. btw, thank you :)

Don't be like that mate! You should not give up. Continue making icons, I believed your work. You drew that book again and that's really enough proof. I don't know why Mods are still doubtful!
thank you,:) but if decided that's final. i'm really sorry mate. i'm not giving up on drawing/painting artworks but i'm stop uploading icons here. don't worry many artist here can provide amazing art including you prince. i know you can do it mate ;)

LOL. I've been there before, my icons are more ugly than yours.
Look at these images...

icons_17156_btn.jpg
icons_17151_btn.jpg
ht7bpd.jpg
99928-9dc30f548628a79baaee61694c5ab0d8.jpg

All of the above are my previous works, the mushroom is my first icon here and it was rejected due to lack of shadings etc. I don't have any idea about digital artwork before and I'm just using a mouse (until now). But moderators and critics were always here to give constructive criticism which helps us to improve our skills. It's been 3 years since I'm making digital arts and now I can draw an approvable piece. I wont stop making icons, I always watching tutorials, studying arts and trying to make some.

//even if i have WIPs and no one believe it so stupid//

When you're first timer, you should provide an evidence or large image. It doesn't mean that your works is not yours but some people are stealing artworks for their own so moderators should be skeptic especially for those newbies.

//it so decided to stop making icons and making drawings in this site. aside from that i didn't earn money in this site//

This site is for modding, and most resources here are free. But it doesn't mean that your works are not valuable, art is art and when you provide some contributions—you already helping people. Imagine a lot of map makers don't know how to draw desired icon for their map but the good thing is, they could find it here—Thanks to the icon artists!
But if you want to get money, practice and practice and I know you can sell your icons to some websites. Game developers will buy your works if they like it.
i'm not a first timer in drawing. i'm always participating drawing contest like poster making/slogan/concept art using acrylic/oil pastel when i was a student not only in school but i'm a first timer in digital art but i can make it nice because i'm an artist. aside from that no one say's "is that your art" because they believe that i'm a real artist some of my art has been bought by someone in the contest. Sorry blaze when i decided that's final. i know you can provide more icons to make them happy. :)

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57

I know you provide WIP's but the thing is some of your WIP's pictures seem like they are traced, if you show me step by step layers of your work then I will believe you more.

i'm not a first timer in drawing. i'm always participating drawing contest like poster making/slogan/concept art using acrylic/oil pastel when i was a student not only in school but i'm a first timer in digital art but i can make it nice because i'm an artist. aside from that no one say's "is that your art" because they believe that i'm a real artist some of my art has been bought by someone in the contest. Sorry blaze when i decided that's final. i know you can provide more icons to make them happy. :)

Is that not what I mean, I mean "newbie" on icon making. Digital and traditional art is different to each other in terms of medium. Some people can make a good drawing using traditional tools like pencil, acrylic etc. but can't make a good digital painting. The elements are the same, but digital painting is quite different and it needs more practice and knowledge about drawing program. Your logic is wrong, it's like "I'm a good digital artist because I can paint amazing art using acrylic."

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Is that not what I mean, I mean "newbie" on icon making. Digital and traditional art is different to each other in terms of medium. Some people can make a good drawing using traditional tools like pencil, acrylic etc. but can't make a good digital painting. The elements are the same, but digital painting is quite different and it needs more practice and knowledge about drawing program. Your logic is wrong, it's like "I'm a good digital artist because I can paint amazing art using acrylic."
It's more like "I'm new to digital art but I can make it look decent because of my other artistic skills/practice".

Level 11
I know you provide WIP's but the thing is some of your WIP's pictures seem like they are traced, if you show me step by step layers of your work then I will believe you more.
i already send a step by step how i paint the book when your on vacation then some comment annoys me. aside from that no one's even believe me even i post it how i paint it. so decided to delete it. no worries i don't need to upload any icons here

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
i already send a step by step how i paint the book when your on vacation then some comment annoys me. aside from that no one's even believe me even i post it how i paint it. so decided to delete it. no worries i don't need to upload any icons here

There are strict rules around here, either follow them or don't, also.. Sorry for the off-topic posts. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.