• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

One thing I am STILL waiting for - castle ramparts :D - the walls in Novigrad/Oxenfurt or Lothric Castle have various types :)

Aside from that - I do like Kaer'Trolde (I may have misspelled the name) from Skellige, that castle and accompanying village look like a point of interest to me :p

Level 17
Yeah I remember now lol.
I thought of Skellige as the next set after what I'm working on now.
A guy at artstation made a great adaptation. here -
I presume something like that then ?

And the set after that would be a more sophisticated architecture such as that in Novigrad.
In a way the progression will be similar to how it was in the original pack. (log,cobble,brick+plaster)
I will try to make a few core pieces of each set first then expand them with more stuff as I go.

Level 17
This time around I will be using textures made with substance designer.
I'm still a complete noob in it, but I will have to learn it sooner or later anyway.
Here is the kind of textures I will be using in the village.

full

full

Obviously, a lot of the detail will be lost in transition to wc3.
The lighting, occlusion and normals will be baked into a regular texture in unity but the glossiness/reflectance will mostly be lost.

I will try the large targa textures, but I also thought of something that might work and reduce the size of the textures especially on large models so that they could be used in size limited projects as well.
And that would be having 2 overlapping uvws, one that would be a small (rather blurry) version of the original textures and a repeated detail texture blended on top of it.
This way it won't look like it tiles everywhere after one meter but it won't look like a blurry vomit when you zoom the camera in either.
This is the kind of results to expect when converted to wc3.

full

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I really like the idea of starting out with Skellige - it's a very atmopsheric and detailed zone and the assets are really nifty and could be used for a variety of designs.

As for the textures - I like the way you had them with the original S&S pack - though I'd say maybe expand the variety and focus on a few types of assets (the original was very broad in scope - this should (and from what I gather will) be more focused).

Your idea is also a neat one - mimicing natural human progression, starting out from the simpler homes and materials and moving up to the designs of Kaer'Trolde. One thing I'd suggest is really commiting to the viking theme with their typical decorations, battle standards and longboat (ruins).

On a side note - have you considered using the UE4 store as well? I'm pretty sure you could sell assets on both Unity and UE4 and make a bit of extra profit. It would also help in getting your name out there.

The texture size issue is easy to solve - just have a 1K TGA file for the terrainers and maps which are not limited by size and then have 512x512 BLPs for the rest of us. Honestly - the downscaling process using BLP Lab is so easy that practically anyone with a tutorial can do it. No need to worry about that. Also, not sure if you heard but WC3 got semi-updated to DX9 for Windows 10 - not sure if that adds anything or if it improves functionality but it's worth looking into. Sadly, I lack the time to do so. Maybe DSG could help with this one.

Level 17
Skellige has to come second unfortunately, I'm still struggling with rock sculpting so it may take a little longer than the first batch and I want something sitting on the store meanwhile.
The textures will be far more important this time around and far more varied, the scope will also be far bigger eventually considering the time commitment this time around is much bigger.

I have considered Unreal but it most likely won't work.
Unreal only supports the metalness PBR profile, the models I will make will be made via reflectance workflow, which is only natively supported by Cry Engine, Unity 5 and Lumberyard.
It is possible to simply readjust the textures in photoshop but it is kind of half-arsed and the Unreal marketplace already has a very steep requirements and approval process which may result in me getting rejected.

The texture size issue is easy to solve
Oh man, I hope so lol.
It's not as much of a problem about 1k textures... the problem is whether 2k will be enough and what corners I will have to cut to actually get neodex to export the models into wc3 without crashing lol.
There will be a lot of sacrifices for the wc3 ports, but the fact that it will still look better than the previous pack is enough I hope lol.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Skellige has to come second unfortunately, I'm still struggling with rock sculpting so it may take a little longer than the first batch and I want something sitting on the store meanwhile.
The textures will be far more important this time around and far more varied, the scope will also be far bigger eventually considering the time commitment this time around is much bigger.

I have considered Unreal but it most likely won't work.
Unreal only supports the metalness PBR profile, the models I will make will be made via reflectance workflow, which is only natively supported by Cry Engine, Unity 5 and Lumberyard.
It is possible to simply readjust the textures in photoshop but it is kind of half-arsed and the Unreal marketplace already has a very steep requirements and approval process which may result in me getting rejected.

Oh man, I hope so lol.
It's not as much of a problem about 1k textures... the problem is whether 2k will be enough and what corners I will have to cut to actually get neodex to export the models into wc3 without crashing lol.
There will be a lot of sacrifices for the wc3 ports, but the fact that it will still look better than the previous pack is enough I hope lol.

Why not do it like Toby? Have 4 512x512 textures combine into a 2K texture - it will require quite a bit more mapping but it's certainly possible.

Also - you could look into more asset stores on the web - I recall people selling them on a few lesser known stores as well.

Level 17
Of course, it would just be extra work though and thus extra time exporting them onto wc3 here.
Besides the real problem is the filesize, so that wouldn't solve much.

I know a bunch of marketplaces, but they are pretty crap.
The only other marketplace that doesn't suck donkey balls is cgtrader.
Ideally, I just want to build a customerbase on unity and lure them onto my own storefront where I get to control everything.

maxresdefault.jpg

c20da00edfb4f562.jpg

Hello again.
So I started working on the huts and I have got a dilemma already.
There are number of ways you can join logs at the corners like in the examples above.

The Witcher log joints are clearly a very half-arsed rendition of the Swedish cope, which to me seems like something very complicated for what should really be some very simplistic and primitive medieval housing.
The log joints in Kingdom Come I like better, not only they put a little more effort into the model, but it also looks more realistic in a simple village setting like that since it is a very simple cut that wouldn't be as labor intensive.
But then there is the question of which would be the best to make in 3d in regards to the mesh complexity and the texturing.

Here are some other cuts I found.
I personally like the dovetail, but the corner post would probably be the best as far as modularity goes.
In the picture from kingdom come you can see how they tiled textures on just that one wall already, and in Witcher 3 you can notice some rather unnecessary looking wooden beams on the walls which I assume is there to cover the seams in between separate wall segments that presumably repeat.(below)
I'm thinking of making the dovetail log cut type as default log wall model that would nicely puzzle together at the corners, while I'll make smaller wall segments like they have made in Witcher where some of the wall segments will have openings for windows and doors and so on.
Then Ill also make some corner posts for maybe a different style of hut that would only use the wall segments instead of the cut corners.
All the logs will also have a small layer of insulation between them. (because that is what real log walls look like anyway)
Watcha think?

10101361.jpg

greybg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
As sluk mentioned, there are few models in the resource section.
The problem is that the whole pack is 300+ models and since you can only bundle models that are already in the resource section that would require to upload and approve all those models.
Which would be a pain for both me and the moderators, not to mention it would spam the resource section with like 15 pages of just my crap.

I will upload some more models to the resource section again from the new batch.

Level 17
Collaborations are probably an iffy topic.
But I thought of inviting a few content creators to my store, I wouldn't profit from it but my store would get more traffic and the overall quality would go up.

And pfff, to be kinda honest the content that 3DForge makes isn't quite the quality I'm aiming for lol.
My assets are more in line with this or that.

Also, here is some more planks I tried.
Still deciding what to go with while I have the time.

full

Last edited:
Level 17
full

So I have pretty much mapped out everything coming in the batch.
I'm making 4 separate packs for unity.
One of them will be a blacksmith workshop, one will be a farm house, one will be a dilapidated fishing hut and the last one will be a village that will mostly be a bunch of regular houses and a tavern.

I looked into the old stone & sword pack and it looks like only about 20% of the old props will be replaced by these new models so far since it is going to be mostly exterior props.
The old building models (the log house/worn set) will all pretty much get replaced and expanded with new models.

After that will probably come a set inspired by W3 Skellige but I haven't collected resources for that yet so I don't know how big that will be.
Maybe I will make one or two smaller "themed" sets in between.
If you have anything specific on mind that could be added to this theme this would be probably the best time to suggest, I will try to concentrate on this for now to get it done as soon as possible.
ETA is probably about 6 weeks for most of it, maybe longer because it may take extra time to convert things for wc3.
In any case the Blacksmiths, farmhouse and the fisherman's hut should be out in that time period.

I'm also considering to update the old sets with a new texture pack, one that would use similar textures to the new models so there isn't as much of a "jump" in quality and style.
It will probably be upscaled a bit, to twice the texture size of the old models, or four even if I can keep the filesize low.

Last edited:
Level 17
I might do something like that in the later packs, though I may make carpets and similar in the first village pack too, I'm not sure how many interior props the village is going to contain yet.

Here is currently what I'm working on, in unity it is supposed to be a single structure, but I will split it into multiple beams and things that you can work with.
Theoretically, you could take this apart and make a log house out of it too although it is supposed to be an open shed, maybe you can throw in a fence and turn it into a barn, stable or whatever.
Officially it is the village blacksmith's workshop and first part of the village set.

full

Level 17
Because Dr Super Good went digging again and it turns out ... another change they forgot to "mention" is that they lifted the 512p limit, so native 2k textures shouldn't be a problem now.

Which means, my new models should be usable in multiplayer as well, although a little compressed.

EDIT:
Nevermind :( it might not actually be the case.

Last edited:
Level 19
Because Dr Super Good went digging again and it turns out ... another change they forgot to "mention" is that they lifted the 512p limit, so native 2k textures shouldn't be a problem now.

Which means, my new models should be usable in multiplayer as well, although a little compressed.

EDIT:
Nevermind :( it might not actually be the case.

We can still use your old models MP, cheer up!

Level 17
Still in progress.
- just wanted to chime in about something I made for folks on the chat today.
It's a fog emitter, I figured I may as well upload it in here too.

I recommend a scale in between 1~2, the bigger you make it the more holes the fog will have.
If you need to change the color of the fog open the model in magos and change the color in segment 2 of the particle emitter under nodes.
The darker color you pick the less bright the fog will be, obviously.

full

Attachments

• Rolling_Fog.rar
    3.7 KB · Views: 264

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Hey guys, just making sure cause there's surprisingly been no comments on this thread for more than a month. Hope its alive i love these models being made!

Level 17
Well it is not like I have stopped making art since that is what I do, it is just a matter of how much time I can dedicate to warcraft3.
I had a surgery in may so the last two months I pretty much didn't do shit.
Currently I'm learning substance designer and haven't made any models in particular.

Another issue is that I'm a little reluctant to go into medieval stuff because it is a competitive market.
But if people want I can post things here that won't be medieval (post apo, victorian england and medieval is what I'm making), and I guess things like foliage can be used anywhere.

Currently I'm making some procedural textures for high definition foliage like these trees.
I just need to find a good way to make the leaves.
These will be hero-resolution trees with moss on the roots and stuff (like on the second tree picture), I have been researching some AAA workflows and taking some inspiration from some upcoming games.

full

full

full

full

Level 17
From the victorian England I'd like to make London slums like those in Whitechapel as well as some of the more rural areas like this Cradle of Links VR, Sergey Zabelin.
It's not a high priority but it's a good exercise for making procedural textures because of all the bricks, tiles, cobblestone and what not, while the models themselves are super simple.

I'm working on medieval stuff too but it is harder to make the artstyle consistent since I want it to be a little stylized, the tree textures I have made for example are supposed to be part of the medieval environment.

Level 8
Hi.
Your pack is incredribly awesome. It is awesome so much, that I'm planning to download warcraft3 at the evening and test it :D
May be I'll even try to make some small story map just for evening fun.

Was reading all the topic and:
Hard to say, I don't actually use these with any custom made textures.
You could try NanO's texture pack.
I was like 'Oh, stop it, stop it', hah.

Level 8
@Nan0
the map looks nice but sometimes with the set cameras
it's kinda hard to see where to go,
not to sure if you want the player to explore or not
anyways those graphics look really nice so does the music too!
Thanks!
Let's not flood in Talavaj topic.
Created my own for this lil project:

[Role Playing Game] - Nightmate in Kingspot
It's still WIP. Planning to finish it until end of the month.
About 'where to go', there are special pointers, wich shows where you able to go, I just turned them off for this video. Also, I'm thinking about adding 3-rt person cam in some locations or game situations, not sure yet, but this terrain is making not "look only via predefined camera". I mean, that I also work on non-seen and hidden from camera view parts too.

Level 17
That looks sweet!

I personally don't mind fixed camera angles.
You can't always do free camera and fixing the camera to a unit can often cause it to spaz out when the pathing goes dumb.
The best fixed camera angle is the one that also follows the character while it is on screen, but I don't know how well you can do that in wc3.

Also small update:
I'm still learning substance designer to create procedural textures for all my things with and here is the most recent one to be used in my medieval assets.
At the moment I'm working on wood, ground textures, tiles, bricks and worn metal.

full

full

Level 17
Lol yeah, I want my medieval models to be quite stylized and I liked the idea of the rope being this beat up from grinding and what not to the point where all the broken hair almost make it look furry.
On the rope models themselves I'll actually add extra transparent cards for hair that will be sticking out of it to make it even more hairy.