• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hybrid Race???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
i actually hope so, too. It would be cool to see what blizzards ideas are for a 4th "Race"... uuuuh iwant to have sc^^

Level 7
is a 4th race planned or what?! sry im not up to date :D thought this were only dreams of people in this forum, arent they?!

Level 19
is a 4th race planned or what?! sry im not up to date :D thought this were only dreams of people in this forum, arent they?!

Not in multiplayer but only in campaign and in the Scum Editor.
It's a combination of Protoss and Zerg DNA. The operation to create these hybrid is lead by Duran the one who betrayed the UED and killed Stukov.

Level 7
lol i didnt play the first sc (i'm too young :D (14)) but it sounds cool :) Sounds like a lot of work for modders to complete the (maybe incompleted who knows?) techtree of this 4th race...

Level 13
Stukov's death wasn't cool... The only bad ass UED high ranked general got killed for trying to vanquishing the Zerg of Char's surface.
Blizzard already ressurected him in the bonus missions in the Nintendo 64 Starcraft version. And yes these bonus missions were confirmed to be canon.

The whole story short is that a Zerg Cerebrate ressurected Infested Stukov. Later on Raynor and an old Protoss Dragoon expiremented a cure they had made for infestation on Stukov. Stukov was cured but mysteriously he misses his infested form abit.

Then it was later said that Kerrigan is too infested or too special for the cure to work on her.

Last edited:
Level 19
Blizzard already ressurected him in the bonus missions in the Nintendo 64 Starcraft version. And yes these bonus missions were confirmed to be canon.

The whole story short is that a Zerg Cerebrate ressurected Infested Stukov. Later on Raynor and an old Protoss Dragoon expiremented a cure they had made for infestation on Stukov. Stukov was cured but mysteriously he missed his infested form abit.

Then it was later said that Kerrigan is too infested or too special for the cure to work on her.

Yeah I've heard about that. Hope he returns.
But what does canon mean?

Level 5
Yeah I've heard about that. Hope he returns.
But what does canon mean?

A cannon is something you shoot cannonballs out of :p
Just kidding, it's an accepted law or standard, esp. in church;

And from Hamlet :D
--- O that this too, too sullied flesh would melt,
--- thaw, and resolve itself into a dew;
--- Or that the Everlasting had not fixed
--- his canon 'gainst (self-slaughter!).

Check my quote, I don't think I have it memorized correctly.

(I think Tyranid's word choice is pretty bad, though)

Anyone have speculation as to what the fourth race might have? Flyyyinnnggg ulllttrrraalissskss!!

Level 13
Cannon=A type of artillery that utilizes gunpowder to launch a projectile over long distances.
Canon=Current "correct" lore, as in when retcon happens (they change lore), the old lore is no longer canon while the new one is. Canon is pretty much is it correct or not.

Level 19
Dreadnought[dA];709392 said:
Another race would make balancing more difficult and merely take away from all the other races. Please Blizzard include it in the campaign and map editor but never in the normal game...

Ofc they'll add it into the editor just like they did with the Tauren Marine. It will be your opponent in campaign but you won't be facing them in regular games like melee and multiplayer.

Level 2
Um, if you guys have different information than what I do, I'd really like to know where it's from. As far as I know, any mention of Xel-Naga is strictly fan speculation. Blizz has confirmed there will NOT be a playable 4th race. Now, I'm not saying that it won't be just like the Naga, but it could just as easily be a very limited (read: precious few) NPCs that show up from time to time in the campaign. We have no information either way yet.

Level 12
im quite certain that there is going to be a 4th race(not playable) in the campaigns

why? there is a bonus mission called The Hybrid where you are Zeratul and finds these experiment containers where some sort of special creature is being created. Later, Duran talks to Zeratul through radio uplink(or something) and explains that its his experiment and things equaly as freaky :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0cwXAOFnFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60SvI0CIECc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhcFIVCsS-Q&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zQ-bT27N7I&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z49dnHaWgdM&feature=related

Level 2
I don't think they'd get crazy enough to show the Xel'Naga just yet, for those of you who think that. Xel'Naga apparently made the Protoss, correct? So they must be damn ahead of all the races in Starcraft. If you've played Mass Effect (the ancient race that you only see a distorted image of), then you'd know what I mean by them merely showing the advanced race in some important section of the campaign, and that's it. Most likely they will not show the Xel'Naga, though. As for the hybrid race, I'm pretty certain they're gonna have them. They can infest marines in SC, they're obviously expand the infestation. >:D

Level 19
I don't think they'd get crazy enough to show the Xel'Naga just yet, for those of you who think that. Xel'Naga apparently made the Protoss, correct? So they must be damn ahead of all the races in Starcraft. If you've played Mass Effect (the ancient race that you only see a distorted image of), then you'd know what I mean by them merely showing the advanced race in some important section of the campaign, and that's it. Most likely they will not show the Xel'Naga, though. As for the hybrid race, I'm pretty certain they're gonna have them. They can infest marines in SC, they're obviously expand the infestation. >:D
The Xel'Naga created the Protoss and Zerg but the Zerg turned on their creators and killed them. Though it doesn't mean that they are all dead. Anyways you mentioned them able to infest marines but are you sure? I believe you must have meant the Zerg because they got the ability to infest stuff. The hybrids were created in glasses at the end of the war so I don't really think they could have infested anything and are probably awaiting their orders. Hybrids aren't a part of the swarm. They are a combination of Protoss DNA and Zerg DNA and are shattered over hundreds/thousands of worlds.

Level 2
Good point on the Zerg, but they still are improving the infestation. It's been like 5 years since I last played the campaign, and I'm getting forgetful of things like the Zerg killing all/a good number of Xel'Naga in the galaxy. :sad:

But, ya, I still keep my thoughts on the Xel'Naga not being shown, and that the hybrids are probably the only likely "4th race" to be shown (though not playable).

Level 19
Good point on the Zerg, but they still are improving the infestation. It's been like 5 years since I last played the campaign, and I'm getting forgetful of things like the Zerg killing all/a good number of Xel'Naga in the galaxy. :sad:

But, ya, I still keep my thoughts on the Xel'Naga not being shown, and that the hybrids are probably the only likely "4th race" to be shown (though not playable).

Well, there were some statues of the so called Xel'naga but I ain't really sure if it is them. You can find the artworks on the StarCraft II site.

Level 13
Just to make some things clear:

1.Infestation is when the zerg mutate and mind control a single entity. This is not always meant to be permament.

2.Assimilation is when the zerg completely absorb and assimilate a certain race, granting them access to more powerful or new types of Zergs. This is permament. After the assimilation the zerg can create almost as many as they want of those creatures.

Anyways, there was a video really really long ago about a campaign sneak peek where Zeratul outright confirmed that the Xel'naga are back for vengeance.

Level 2
Really? o_O
I haven't been really up-to-date with my Starcraft lore and all, but I never would've thought they'd bring in the Xel'Naga for quite awhile... then again, it's been like 10 or so years since they've done anything.

Level 19
Really? o_O
I haven't been really up-to-date with my Starcraft lore and all, but I never would've thought they'd bring in the Xel'Naga for quite awhile... then again, it's been like 10 or so years since they've done anything.

Well, after they launched Brood Wars they've continued to brainstorm and add to the story-line for StarCraft II. I'm not sure but I think they began pretty slowly in 2004 to develop the game.

Level 6
It's pretty late to be announcing a fourth race, and if they did it would take at least a year of rebalancing the other races, and I don't think blizzard fans can wait through that long of a delay.

Level 12
I bet my gut there will be a 4th non playable race in the expansion and it will be a big part of the story.

Level 4
I only played through the campaign for the zerg and protoss in the original (no expansion) and I'm curious... what's this race going to be like? I think someone said it was going to be simmiler to the Nagens, and what's so special about the Nagens... all they have is big ass swords and the abillity to swim. If that's all the Nagens have what kind of abilitys will this new 4th race have?

Level 2
Hehe, not similar to the Naga, or Nagens as you call them (I don't know/care which is right) in form or play style, but rather in function and role. The Naga were a playable race, but not fully fleshed out. That's how some anticipate the Xel'Naga being in SC2.

Level 14
No, there is not a 4th race. Blizzard is maintaining its original 3 complete diffrent race idea. Making the 4th race would go against that Starcraft rule. Now, on to what the bonus map was about.

The map was put into Starcraft Brood War for 2 purposes. The first one was to introduce a new faction into the Starcraft story. Duran mentions that he is not working for Kerrigan but somthing bigger. This will definantly be apart of the story-line (I want to find out who he was working for). The second reason is that they wanted to give a basis for one of the newer zerg abilitys you will recieve in Starcraft 2. Like the Infested terran, you will now be able to infest protoss, as Duran was researching how to genetically combine Protoss and Zerg. Somewhere in the campaign, Duran's research will be complete, at the same time betraying Kerrigan. At that point, the zerg will now be able infest Protoss, no longer giving protoss that strategical edge. Have fun thinking about what you will do with this new power, and the powers they are going to give to the other races to balance it out ^_^

~Asomath
"World Editor Trainee"

Level 7
well blizzard said they will say something about the campaign in the next "gamestar", a german PC game magazine. I will tell you what they said :D

Level 12
No, there is not a 4th race. Blizzard is maintaining its original 3 complete diffrent race idea. Making the 4th race would go against that Starcraft rule. Now, on to what the bonus map was about.
~Asomath
"World Editor Trainee"
yes, 3 original different races that are playable. They havent said anything about not including a non-playable race yet

Level 19

The map was put into Starcraft Brood War for 2 purposes. The first one was to introduce a new faction into the Starcraft story. Duran mentions that he is not working for Kerrigan but somthing bigger. This will definantly be apart of the story-line (I want to find out who he was working for). The second reason is that they wanted to give a basis for one of the newer zerg abilitys you will recieve in Starcraft 2. Like the Infested terran, you will now be able to infest protoss, as Duran was researching how to genetically combine Protoss and Zerg. Somewhere in the campaign, Duran's research will be complete, at the same time betraying Kerrigan. At that point, the zerg will now be able infest Protoss, no longer giving protoss that strategical edge. Have fun thinking about what you will do with this new power, and the powers they are going to give to the other races to balance it out ^_^

~Asomath
"World Editor Trainee"

To correct you the research Duran made was to combine Zerg and Protoss DNA into a functionable baby hybrids. That doesn't mean you'll be able to infest them.
We won't be able to infest the protoss within the current built but perhaps we'll be able to do so in the campaigns.

Level 14
Heh, nope blizzard unvailed that zerg will be able to infest protoss. Im not one to make somthing up without a basis for information. Here is the news link!
http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/16680-The_Infested_Protoss_or_StarCraft_II_QA_35

and here is a quote

"An additional note about the new Zerg unit, the Infester, is that when it "infests" a building, it is not permanent, nor are the units produced by it. Currently, the infesting process takes a few seconds, and the building will appear infested. As soon as the building is infested, infested Terran start popping out, one right after another, and continue until the building loses it infestation, which lasts for several seconds.
Each Infested Terran has a limited lifespan, similar to the late Broodling of StarCraft. Soon after the building loses its infestation status, the first of the Infested Terrans die, and the rest follow. With the current build both Terran and Protoss buildings produced infested Terran.
According to Dustin Browder, infested Protoss will appear, but the unit has yet to be made. The development team is looking for a way to balance infestation on the Protoss, so that the Zerg can't take too much advantage of infesting wayward pylons to produce wave after wave of troops free of cost."

So, as I said, have fun thinking about what you will do with this new power, and what they will give the other races to balance it out.
~Asomath
"World Editor Trainee"

Level 19
Heh, nope blizzard unvailed that zerg will be able to infest protoss. Im not one to make somthing up without a basis for information. Here is the news link!
Starcraft: Brood War: The Infested Protoss or StarCraft II Q&A #35 | SK Gaming

and here is a quote

"An additional note about the new Zerg unit, the Infester, is that when it "infests" a building, it is not permanent, nor are the units produced by it. Currently, the infesting process takes a few seconds, and the building will appear infested. As soon as the building is infested, infested Terran start popping out, one right after another, and continue until the building loses it infestation, which lasts for several seconds.
Each Infested Terran has a limited lifespan, similar to the late Broodling of StarCraft. Soon after the building loses its infestation status, the first of the Infested Terrans die, and the rest follow. With the current build both Terran and Protoss buildings produced infested Terran.
According to Dustin Browder, infested Protoss will appear, but the unit has yet to be made. The development team is looking for a way to balance infestation on the Protoss, so that the Zerg can't take too much advantage of infesting wayward pylons to produce wave after wave of troops free of cost."

So, as I said, have fun thinking about what you will do with this new power, and what they will give the other races to balance it out.
~Asomath
"World Editor Trainee"

I thought they said at WWI(WorldWide Invitational 4 weeks ago) that they removed it. Although at least I was correct about the story-line. :D

Level 14
This is a Q&A about the content that was in the WWI, that was posted 2 weeks ago.

GosuGamers - News: SC2: Game panel and Q&A session at WWI

Yes you were right about the story, but in the process of creating these zerg/protoss hybrid, they would have had to figure out a way to break the Protoss's so called "Pure" DNA, which prevented the zerg from infecting them before.

~Asomath

"World Editor Trainee"

Level 8
During the Campaign, I bet the hybrids won't be playable; why? Theres a special command screen area for all 3 races. It will keep 99.99% of the campaigner's happy. They want to finish SCII for this year (as it will be 10 years after the original).

Anyways, in a recent batch (well, 34-current approx), they conformed that in Custom maps, you can create new races (including tech tree), and replace the regular 3 with, say, 2 of your own (without the regular 3), or 6 of your own (there probebly will be a limit though). Thus, you can have a forth race (or more/less).

Level 13
I'll just clear these last posts a little:
-Duran is most likely working for the Xel'naga. This is not official thought but most fans believe so.
-SC II is set 4 years after SC 1, not 10.
-Yes, Infested Protoss were cut. At one point ALL infested units were cut and the infested buildings spawned Broodlings. This was changed back to Infested Marines.

Level 12
I'll just clear these last posts a little:
-Duran is most likely working for the Xel'naga. This is not official thought but most fans believe so.
-SC II is set 4 years after SC 1, not 10.
-Yes, Infested Protoss were cut. At one point ALL infested units were cut and the infested buildings spawned Broodlings. This was changed back to Infested Marines.

if you read his post carefully he wasnt talking about 10 years after starcraft 1 in the lore, he said its been 10 years sense they made starcraft, also infested marines and protoss will useable, they have a limited lifespan, so it wont be unbalanced.

Also a 4th race wouldn't unbalance things, though 3 races makes balancing perfect, a 4th isn't bad either, they just make each race be a counter of each other, 4th race would add more variety to the table

Level 13
if you read his post carefully he wasnt talking about 10 years after starcraft 1 in the lore, he said its been 10 years sense they made starcraft, also infested marines and protoss will useable, they have a limited lifespan, so it wont be unbalanced.

Also a 4th race wouldn't unbalance things, though 3 races makes balancing perfect, a 4th isn't bad either, they just make each race be a counter of each other, 4th race would add more variety to the table
Infested Protoss have already been REMOVED. Only Infested Marines remain. And yes I know the Infested Marines have limited lifespan. I was just pointing out that at ONE POINT there were no infested units and instead infested units spawned Broodlings. However I already said this idea was AXED and they brought back the Infested Marines. I guess the Infested Protoss come in odds with the Hybrids so they axed the whole idea.

Also the 3 races are supposed to have their own unique role:
The Zerg are cheap, numerous and weak.
The Protoss are Strong and expensive and few in numbers.
The Terran are in the middle.

Now where would a 4th race fit?

I can live with a 4th race in the expansion thought.

Level 19
Level 14
Yah, see I mis-read my own source O-o. Because I saw the question and answer for it, and it said that there was infested protoss, but I didnt read it all when it says

"The Merc Haven. Tell us about is.

We never really came up with a design for that building that we love yet, so it will continue to change until we find out a way to use it.

-- A correction, the Protoss buildings can't be infested --"

So, yah I kinda messed up. Oh thats kinda sad. :/

~Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.