• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[LORE] Creation of the Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
[LORE] Creation of the Hybrids (SECRET MISSION)

So I made a disturbing discovery today.. turns out there's a bit of lore to be found on the Hybrids buried inside StarCraft II.

How, you ask?
Well the Secret Mission of course!

Turns out the Dominion has been bio-engineering Zerg and Protoss at the molecular level, and have come up with some rather large breakthroughs.

Here's a completel tutorial, found on youtube, on how to get to the Secret Mission. It also includes the entire Secret Mission itself.

For all those who are too lazy to Youtube search, I'll describe the mission below.

Unlocking the Mission:

To unlock the secret mission, you must collect a secret item, called "Secret Documents", found in the mission "Media Blitz"

However: It appears as though you can not unlock the mission through the "Mission Archives". Meaning if you've beaten the game, you can't go back and collect the item. You must start a new campaign and work your way up, or load a game that was before / at this mission.

For all those who don't know which mission Media Blitz is, it's the one where Tychus goes into the Odin suit and attacks the Dominion home world. It starts off with a parade, celebrating the new technology that the Dominion have brought into play. What they don't know, is that Tychus has hijacked this new found technology, and ends up using it against them.

The "Secret Documents" can be found in the lower right (south-east) part of the map, in it's own little platform. There you will find a "Science Facility". Once destroying that, (it appears as though only the Odin and Siege Tanks in Siege Mode can attack it, according to the video), an item will drop. Simply right-click with any unit to obtain it, where a message will be written across the screen, informing you that you have unlocked the secret mission.

After all of this, you must complete the mission "Media Blitz". Once completed, there will be a new mission available on the "Star Map". You will know right away that it is the secret mission, for the planet is larger than the rest, and clearly states right on it "Secret Mission".

There is some Dialog, describing the scenario.

Scenario:

The Dominion has used a backwash planet to mask their research on Hybriding Zerg and Protoss at the molecular level. They use an ore refinery as the 'mask' of the station, effectively throwing off all suspicion of a potential bio-lab at that location.

Jim 'Eugene' Raynor, (yes his middle name is Eugene, this you learn in the mission, at the beginning) accompanied with 4 marines and 2 medics, lands on the station platform.

The initial conflict erupts after you use Jim's special ability, 'Place Charge', on the first door you encounter. Right inside the door is a group of marines and firebats, who aggressively inform you that the station is private property of the Dominion, and being there is trespassing, whereas they open fire on you.

After some interesting fights, one including a case where you hack into the platform system and engage it's auto-turrets to neutralize the enemy around them, you work your way to a lab where you encounter a number of strange beasts and contraptions.

This includes:
- Bio-engineered Zealots, which are all black, aside from their blue warp-blades.
- Bio-engineered Ultralisks, which are strapped down and encaged by the nearby scientists.
- A few other misc hybrid zerg-protoss units.

Along the way, Jim decides it would be in his best interest to destroy the platform. Whereas Matt informs you of a power reading, indicating a reactor, a few rooms away from your location.

Once Jim proceeds there and destroys the Reactor, the grand-daddy (and most important beast of the mission), is set free. This is where you encounter one of the Hybrids which has plagued the Korpulu sector for so long.

It is made very clear almost instantly that you have no hope of fighting it, and fortunately, it seems to be more pleased with destroying the surrounding station, rather than focusing on your little squad of Raynor's Raiders.

Classic 'Run for your life!' gameplay ensues. You proceed back the way you came, bypassing multiple Dominion/Hybrid battles while the grand-daddy Hybrid ensues rapidly.

At the end of the road, you find a Dominion Transport Ship, which you Hyjack and then escape safely back to the Hyperion.

All in all, a bit of Lore is discovered here.
It turns out that Mengsk, or should I say an evil scientist (given that no proof that Mengsk actually had anything to do with this research) has created the evil Hybrid that SPOILER will eventually destroy the Terran, Protoss, and Zerg alike, eventually leaving the Galaxy in total darkness.

Comments:

Kind of Ironic that the weakest of the three races, the Terran, actually create the beings that go on to destroy all life as our pixel-lives know it. Bit of a twist if you ask me, though not necessarily surprising. Blizzard is known to throw irrational things such as this into their lore-based fantasy games *cough*WoW*cough*.
Anyways, thought I'd share that with the rest of the gaming community. Hope you enjoyed it! :]
Also +Rep for making this massively huge description on the newest Lore for StarCraft. I bet the Koreans are just stirring right now. :cute:

Level 13
Did you play Starcraft 1? Because we know that Terrans are creating the Hybrids in that, more importantly Duran. Althought we don't know what Duran really is, we know that he serves a higher power and creates the Hybrids. Incidentally the head of the Moebius Foundation is a scientist Emil Narud... Yes Duran backwards, who is connected to the Hybrids.

I kinda doubt Mengsk even knows about this facility, rather it's just another one of Duran's doings.

Also in one of the novels (don't remember which at the moment) we find out that Ulrejaz (a powerful Dark Archon) is also serving a higher power and creating hybrids.

Level 13
Yeah, just to clarify: there was a secret mission in Brood Wars called Dark Origins. In it you played as Zeratul who had just arrived on an unknown planet due to recieving a distress signal. In there he finds the Terrans holding Protoss and Zerg in stasis cells. Soon Zeratul finds out that they are creating Hybrids, and in the end of the mission he finds a complete Hybrid hibernating in a cell. Zeratul is contacted by Duran who explains his plan (or parts of it), after which Zeratul destroys the stasis cell, and the hybrid along with it.

Level 21
Xel'Naga are the Protoss and Zerg cloned together I think. Haven't played Starcraft for awhile so my Starcraft Lore is a little off.

Also Starcraft lore confuses me.
I just enjoy the games.

Sorry if I got confused.

Level 13
The Xel'naga are basically a "natural" fusion of the Purities of Form (Protoss) and Essence (Zerg). The Xel'naga can't reproduce, but they have really long lifespans. Basically towards the end of their life they engineer two species, each with their own purity down a certain path, with the aim of the fusing at the end to form a new generation of the Xel'naga.
However this became impossible with the Overmind's programming making it seek to destroy the Protoss rather than fuse with them.

The Hybrids are essentially abominations, mockery of the real Xel'naga, because they've been forcefully created through artificial means.

Level 5
Hybrids might be the new race in StarCraft 3 I guess?

Well,The Terrans defeated the Zergs .But The Protoss were completely gone.
But,couple survivors in The Fall of Auir would start fresh and even better Technologies.

Level 25
Hybrids might be the new race in StarCraft 3 I guess?

Well,The Terrans defeated the Zergs .But The Protoss were completely gone.
But,couple survivors in The Fall of Auir would start fresh and even better Technologies.

Rispetto, not to flame you.. But you clearly doesn't know the lore :)

Here's the nerd answer:

Terrans didn't defeat Zerg, if you've played Starcraft: Brood War, the entire army that EARTH sent, were slaughtered. Then the Zerg, by themselves, hid themselves, evolving.

Thanks!

Huh? I wasn't even talking about the UED expeditionary force.

But I do know my lore, thanks.

The human inhabitants of the Korpulu sector were originally all prisoners. When the ships crashed, they formed civilization.

Eventually they sent a 'scouting' party.. lead by DuGalle (If I remember correctly?).. who captures the Confederacy home world, then loses it, then sides with Duran, blah blah, etc etc.

Eventually DuGalle offs himself while listening to some really crappy music. I remember that part clearly.

Level 12
few notes...
1: nobody defeated the zerg during sc1, actually the zerg defeated the 2 but instead of killing em all, they left a majority, nearly everyone, alive.
2: the dark voice...i dno if its the ''voice in the darkness'' or not, but they share alot in common so it might be true.
3: DuGalle shot himself while his fleet was being destroyed by kerrigans zerg, if i may add.

3: DuGalle shot himself while his fleet was being destroyed by kerrigans zerg, if i may add.

Thank you.

Rispetto, not to flame you.. But you clearly doesn't know the lore :)

Don't you love it when people try to correct you but are wrong about what they are talking about?
And on that note, LordDz, you didn't even carry on the same topic I was talking about.

Level 5
SPOILER WARNING
About the Xel'Naga, there goes everything you need to know: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Xel'Naga
They're not exactly like Tyranid said, and they were destroyed by the Zerg, probably the "Dark Voice" had something to do with that, since he worked in part of the programation of the Overmind, wich, through being organic, is an AI created by the Xel'Naga to lead the Zerg after all.

Hybrids were created by human scientists directed, controlled or maybe deceived by Duran to do so. The Xel'Naga life cycle is defined by their incredibly long lifespan and then a rebirth of the entire species into a new species that have both the purity of form and the purity of essence, wich the Protoss and the Zerg have respectively, so the Hybrids would be that new species.
Also, in the novel "The shadow of the Xel'Naga", the entire story is built around a giant Xel'Naga artifact buried under a mountain. At the end of the novel, the artifact opens like an egg, revealing a creature that fits the description of an Hybrid Destructor (the shiny ranged ones) wich consumes all the Protoss and Zerg of the battlefield, leaving the humans untouched and even returning some human characters that it consumed before.

If you want my opinion, the entire "Voice in the darkness" comic chapter is just a tribute to the "Zalgo" meme ("He comes, the one who waits behind walls"). Zalgo is a Lovecraftian character created as a internet meme, it represents decay, corruption and chaos, and its main features are incredible power and the ability to corrupt body and mind, power that is shown to cover the corrupted subject's eyes in black. Also, the title "the Lord of the In-Between Places" somehow remembers me of Zalgo's: "He who waits behind walls".

Also, the Hybrids are the bodies wich were destined to contain the Xel'Naga essences, but since most of the Xel'Naga were destroyed by the Zerg, the Dark Voice, who became leader of the few remaining, if not the sole survivor, will now use them to fulfill his ideals, wich includes ending all life in the galaxy.

Maybe the Dark Voice it's a Xel'Naga that was partially corrupted by The Voice in the Darkness when they fought to seal it, or maybe he0s just crazy. I mean, when you live for a zillion years, strange ideas start coming into your head.

Level 12
i think that he just took too much sun and put some tabasco or some other crap in his eyes, resulting in becoming a overblack nigga with bright red eyes.

:D

anyways, it is said that Zeratul thinks the Dark Voice is a Xel'Naga. hell, it could even be a fucking human with a mask on his face and always sitting in the corner, pointing a camera at his face during speeches.

Oh and in a sc boardgame, he has the power to mind controll any protoss or terran unit (psi-unit more certainly - even slight) until it will consume it -> same as the Voice in the Darkness.
figure out if thats true or not, the place i found it was removed some time ago.

Level 5
WTH, we all know that in Legacy of the Void, Raynor will become the new Jacob and save the Koprulu Island from the evil Dark Voice by restoring the Xel'Naga artifact to Argus while Kerrigan attacks the Dark Voice.
After that, everyone, including the Overmind and the zerglings, will drink beer in the Hyperion's cantina.

What I come to mean by this is... c'mon, we all know that even Blizzard doesn't know what the hell are the Voice in the Darkness nor the Dark Voice and if they're related. They build up the lore as they create the games, and then they just make sure that there're some open storylines to continue with an expoansion or a stand alone continuation.

Level 10
What I come to mean by this is... c'mon, we all know that even Blizzard doesn't know what the hell are the Voice in the Darkness nor the Dark Voice and if they're related. They build up the lore as they create the games, and then they just make sure that there're some open storylines to continue with an expoansion or a stand alone continuation.

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.