• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rebooting the lore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello there. I have been a fan of Starcraft for the last two decades. I thought the continuity was messy, so I decided to write a proposal for an alternate universe on google docs.

Long story short, it takes the many canon wars and condenses them into one first contact war. Each race has many factions, each of which is independently motivated. A more detailed history is provided in the document, but here is the gist:

The terrans are divided between several power blocs: the Orion’s Arm Treaty Agreement, the Confederacy of Koprulu States, and the Union of Progressive Peoples. The canonical Dominion-Umoja cold war is retained, though Dominion and Umoja are now proxies of their parent power blocs. The United Earth Directorate maintains a presence in Koprulu and opposes the Confederacy’s warmongering ways. Now they must all deal with the two alien invasions. For example: the Cerberus Program has enslaved zerg for use as weapons, the Tau Ceti Federation launched an offensive into protoss space in revenge for the glassing of terran worlds, etc.

The Protoss Empire’s expedition to Koprulu is divided between the (as I named them) Caretaker and Reclaimer factions. Initially they were ordered by the Conclave to glass terran worlds and this redrew political maps (e.g. allowing the Dominion to take control of the Tarsonian system). The Caretaker faction formed when it rebelled against this order, taking enough forces with them that glassing infested worlds is no longer logistically feasible for either faction alone. At the same time, the glassing destroyed several stasis vaults owned by the Ihan-rii. This provoked the Ihan-rii into waking in mass and declaring war against the Empire for the inadvertent genocide of their people in stasis.

The Zerg Swarm is ultimately responsible for the protoss’ appearance, as they invaded Koprulu to harvest humans for research and development. The Overmind takes over the role of overarching antagonist from Amon and QoB. The terrans have proved quite resistant to the zerg invasion, even enslaving zerg themselves and provoking the zerg to switch from a subtle to an overt invasion as the situation deteriorated. Although highly cautious of the protoss because the zerg are not yet in a position to survive a galactic war, the zerg have dispatched broods to nearby protoss colonies to disrupt the staging points that warp forces to terran space. The chaos of the first contact war has allowed various abnormal broods to flourish, starting something of a brood war.

That’s the basic gist of my proposal. I shared it here because I was wondering if anyone was interested in discussion, critique, advice, suggestions, etc. I did want to make a mission map to showcase some of my ideas but I have no experience with mapping, although I would be happy to discuss planning a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.