1. The contestants were to create water structures for the 20th Terraining Contest. Choose one in the public poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make your screenshots look amazing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Tutorials' started by Chaosy, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

How to make your screenshots look amazing

For people without art talent

By Chaosy

Introduction

I learned this trick in school yesterday and I thought I would share how to apply this to your map presentation or whatever. It requires 0 art skill, you only need to use the right tools.

It's worth mentioning that you can achieve this effect through other means, such as: Fake HDR Lighting in Warcraft 3

Requirements

-Image Editing program, I use Photoshop but the same tools exist in free programs such as Gimp.
    -A few minutes of your time, once you've done this once or twice it takes 2 minutes per picture max.​

Levels

To begin with, you need a screenshot. Follow this (How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description) tutorial if you do not know how to create a screenshot.​

[​IMG]

Once you're done, open your fancy editing program and find the Levels tool.​
    [​IMG]

We're then going to change "Channel" and edit "Red", "Green" and "Blue" one by one.
    You will see a graph with three triangles under them as shown in the image below.
    We're going to move the two outer ones so that they are positioned at each side of the 'hill'.p​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Result

[​IMG]

Comparison

[​IMG]

Feather (optional effect)

While the screenshot itself has been improved it still looks pretty boring shape wise. With the use of a tool called feather we can change that.
    Press Ctrl + A, and then use Free Selection tool to reduce the size of the selection so that it almost reaches the edge of the image.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once your selection is done, double click to confirm its placement.​

[​IMG]

Once selected, the tool will ask for a number of pixels. I would recommend using anywhere between 5-10 pixels, though it depends on the size of the image. Large image = more pixels.​
    [​IMG]

If you've done everything so far correctly, the corners of your selection will be round-ish.
    Right click your selection and find Select Inverse.​
    [​IMG]

Then press delete and you're done!​

Result

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. sluk

sluk

Resources:
    Resources:
    actually you can just make the game awesome and than the screenshots are awesome to

3. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A map presentation is as important as the map itself because it often decides if a user tries the map or not.

4. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    or you could use in-game fake hdr filter, which can be found in my signature - Fake HDR Lightning in Warcraft 3.

5. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That may indeed have the same effect, though it's much easier to make a perfect 'filter' when you can see the change live and not having to restart the map each time while tinkering with the settings.
    It's something worth mentioning though, I'll add it at the top of my tutorial.

6. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It might be interesting, but I'm not sure showing one specific software feature is worth a tutorial.
    What to others think?

7. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I feel like i should reject this tutorial because you have those purple checkered cubes in your screenshot. First rule of taking a screenshot in the editor is to press "V" to get rid of those cubes! :p

Jokes aside, this tutorial could be useful. It's a neat effect that will definitely add some flair to your map's presentation. Approved.

8. sentrywiz

sentrywiz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not bad, its a neat little tut about improving screenshots.
    Though it would benefit lot more from multiple examples of other tools.
    Filters, saturation, gamma correction, hue...
    Useful tut nonetheless.