• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to: Use Custom Music in Your Map

Level 36
How To: Use Custom Music in Your Map

By Brad.Dude03

This is a tutorial that will allow you to use a song of your choice as music in your game. This allows for greater personalization of maps, and it also helps to set the theme, for example scary music adds greatly to a map that is intended to be scary. In this tutorial I am using a song from the Fable Soundtrack, but if your following along, then obviously substitute it with the song of your choice.

Helpful Hints For Choosing Music:
Hints

1. Never, ever, choose a song that is more then 2 MB's, unless of course you are doing a campaign or single player map, in which case you need not worry about your map size. The absolute maximum size map that you can host on Battle.Net is 4 MB. That doesn't leave you with a lot of space, and music isn't that important to your game that you have to make everything else subpar so that it can fit.
  2. Choose a song that fits with the theme of your map. If you are doing a scary map, then choose some scary music, perhaps something ominous, for example the Graveyard theme off of the Fable soundtrack, in my case. If you have an arena style map or something, when it comes time to battle, then maybe some techno or other fast-paced upbeat music that will get people into the game.
  3. If you are making a themed map, then using music from that theme is always a good option. For example, if you were making a Lord of the Rings map and wanted to add custom music, then using a soundfile from the movies would be great idea, and it would enhance your map.
PREPARATION:

1. Firstly you have to choose your audio file, following the tips above. Not that hard. In this example I use a theme from Fable called Witchwood.

2. Once you have done such and chosen your audio file, unless it is terribly small (far below 1 MB) then you would want to compress it to make it smaller. How would you do this? By using an audio encoder.

3. Doing a simple google search, I came across Imtoo Audio Encoder. It's a good program, and a trial version can be found here: ImTOO Audio Encoder v2.0

4. Open the Rar with WinRAR, double click on the Audio Encoder.exe and install.

5. After you have installed, start the program up. Click on Add and then choose your song. You will notice it has been added to the list.

image00.jpg

image01.jpg

6. Next, select your encoder. Click on Lame MP3 Encoder. Next click the checkbox that says Same as input folder. This will make it easier for you to find the new version of the song after it has been encoded.

image02.jpg

7. Press settings. At the box where it says 'Version' choose Mpeg II.5 put the bitrate down to 56kbps, this will save you a lot of space. You can go lower, but I don't recommend it, since it will REALLY warp the quality of the audio file.

8. Finally go to Quality and choose Low (q=9). Hit okay and you will be brought back to the main program.

image03.jpg

9. Now simply hit the Encode button, hit cancel when it prompts you to buy the software, and let the program go to work.

image04.jpg

You should notice that your new file wont be too much different in sound quality, and that it will be much smaller in size. Witchwood.wma was 2.86 MB to begin with, but after encoding it I brought it down to 1.23 MB

Now that you have your audio file ready to go, it's time to put it into the game.

Here's how to get it into the game:
1. Pop open your World Editor. Damn, that was hard.

2. Click on Sound Editor. Once it pops open, hit Ctrl + I

3. Browse to the file that you are importing. Then hit open.

image05.jpg

4. WE will import the sound file into the game. Scroll down and you will see it under War3Imported.

5. Now, simply, right click the file and select Use as Music.

image06.jpg

Good, you have your file in the game, WE recognizes it as music, now all that's left is to make it play.

The last part is quite easy. Make a trigger that looks like this:
  • [LEFT][/LEFT]Events
    • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.01 seconds
  • [LEFT][/LEFT]Actions
    • Sound - Play Witchwood <gen>
If you don't know how I did this then look here:
1. Right click actions. Select new action.

image07.jpg

2. Select the top arrow next to where it says 'All' and scroll down to you see 'Sound'. Click on that.

image08.jpg

3. Now click where it says 'Play Sound' and scroll until you see where it says 'Play Music'. Click on that, as well.

image09.jpg

4. You will notice that 'Music' is in red. This means that you haven't selected the music to play. Click on the red 'Music' text, and then click on the bullet above where it says Variable. Next to that you should see the name of your music file with <gen> at the end. Select all of this and hit okay. When your game starts, your music will now play in the background as a continuous soundtrack.

image10.jpg

And that's all there is to it. Enjoy your new music!

Last edited:
Level 4
Compressing Audio Files

Keeping maps a small size is one of the biggest challenges you'll face when trying to add music; and filesize is something that you'll want to keep to a minimum so that downloads don't take forever and a day. This process will make files about 1/10 of the original song's filesize. Also, if it's a full song, it will still take up a large amount of map space, so try to put only one full song per map.

To compress the music (or sound), you need 5 (FIVE) things:

1 (ONE) - The sound file that you would like to compress
2 (TWO) - The map to which you would like to add the sound
3 (THREE) - Warcraft III World Editor (Of Course)
4 (FOUR) - Audacity Audio Editor 1.2.6+ (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)
5 (FIVE) - Lame_enc.dll (http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?lame_enc)

STEP ONE
Download and install Audacity onto your computer.

STEP TWO
Download Lame_enc.dll and put it in the same folder as Audacity.

STEP THREE
Open up your sound file inside of Audacity by clicking on File, then Open. For this example, I'll be using the song Smoothie King by Bowling for Soup.
AudioHelp02.png
(Click on image to enlarge.)

STEP FOUR
Audacity will import the file.
AudioHelp03.png

When the file is done importing, click on the settings button as shown in the picture below. Scroll over "Set Rate" and click on 96000 hz.
AudioHelp04.png

STEP FIVE
Make sure that the data rate under the button is now set to 96000 hz:
AudioHelp05.png

STEP SIX
Now, go to File and select Export as MP3...
AudioHelp06.png

STEP SEVEN
Save the file anywhere with the same name, but with a (2) at the end.
AudioHelp07.png

STEP EIGHT
Now it will ask you to locate Lame_enc.dll, click on yes.
AudioHelp08.png

STEP NINE
Select the Lame_enc.dll that you downloaded earlier and then click on open.
AudioHelp09.png

STEP TEN
As soon as you click open, it will export your modified sound file in .MP3 format.
AudioHelp10.png

STEP ELEVEN
Now, open up the file you just saved (the one with (2)) inside of Audacity. Again, set the rate to 96000 hz.
AudioHelp12.png

STEP TWELVE

Click on Export as MP3 again and this time, save it with FAST at the end, rather than (2).
AudioHelp13.png

This time it'll save the audio file automatically, you won't have to locate Lame_enc.dll again.

STEP THIRTEEN
Exit out of Audacity and, using Warcraft III World Editor, open up the map to which you are adding the audio file.

STEP FOURTEEN
Now, go to the sound editor (the megaphone icon) and click on Import Sound.
AudioHelp14.png

STEP FIFTEEN
Select your file that has FAST at the end of it. After it's imported, right click on it inside of the sound editor and click on "Use As Sound".
AudioHelp15.png

STEP SIXTEEN
It'll appear in the pane at the right. Right click on the sound in the right pane and click on "Edit Sound Variable".
AudioHelp16.png

STEP SEVENTEEN
In here, set the pitch to 0.20 and the volume to 100.
AudioHelp17.png

STEP EIGHTEEN
Click on OK and then make sure your sound is still highlighted. Then click on Play Sound to make sure that the sound is what you want. It will sound very compressed, but it's worth it to get the quicker download speeds.
AudioHelp18.png

If the sound is too fast, then set the pitch to a lower number, such as .15. If it's too slow, then set it to a higher number, such as .25. You can mess around with all the options until the sound is what you want.

In my case, the final outcome was this:
Original Size = 8.02 MB
Compressed Size = 800 KB

[NOTE1: If it's a smaller sound clip, you can try speeding it up only one time to help keep it closer to the original quality. If you do this, make sure that with the World Editor's sound editor you set the pitch somewhere between .4 and .6]

[A compressed version of Smoothie King is available for download in case you would like to put it inside of Warcraft III World Editor and practice using the sound editor before compressing a file yourself.]
View attachment 12_-_Smoothie_King FAST.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
i did what u said but when i added it 2 my map it didn't work (map size 2 big) 2005KB how can i make it smaller or sumthing and is there a way to cut out pieces of music in warcraft 3 sound editor or do i need sumthing else, like cutting out a verse of a song etc

Last edited:
Level 36
2 MB's is not too big. There shouldn't be any problems hosting a map of that size.

And yes, multiple triggers are required in order to play multiple songs.

5002 mb. That's five gigabytes fool, bigger than my whole warcraft directory :p

5 Megabytes is too big, but 2 megabytes is not. If you're trying to use a 5 mb song, compress it or choose something else because it's obviously too big to be hosted. Trying to fit whole commercial songs from commercial artists into your map is NOT RECOMMENDED because they don't usually go well with the theme and they get downright annoying after a while. Most good maps effectively use sounds as short clips or loops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 36
Wait wait wait.... so it doesn't have a format? Let's take this one step at a time:

1) Does it play on your computer via Windows Media Player etc?
2) Is the format of the file .mp3 or .wav?

That's about all I can offer. If the file is not an .mp3 or not a .wav, it wont work. Any .wma's or a.ac3's, or .mp4's, any of the other formats are not compatible with the WE.

Level 10
I got a problem. When I use brad's method, WE makes every triggger with "," instead of "." and makes my map unplayable. I mean when I click on test map it does nothing. And when I browse it on maps in WC, it shows to no player thing. :,((( Help

Level 10
1) Your last step. Importing to the map.
2) It does it on WAITS.
3) Makes my map unplayable and I'm unable to see forces. However, if I delete the music I imported, and save the map and reopen it, it becomes playable without music.
4) It doesn't have to do with triggers. Generally, WAIT action screws up.

Level 10
Heh I was trying to say it generally doesn't make anything to triggers :p. I'll post how it affects my triggers soon. By that sentence it means my spells but waits actually make my spells unusable. And somehow it makes my map unplayable due to no player selection screen shows up.
  • Actions
  • Wait 0.27 seconds.
turns to
  • Actions
  • Wait 1,0 seconds.
You get it now? It's something very strange:witch_doc_sad:

Level 4
Yeah, it was an .mp3 before compression--after even too.

Also, I don't think I understand your statement. Are you saying that my guide is worthless?

If so, I'll respond as politely as I can:

The purpose of the guide was to compress (make smaller), not to convert (make a different format). An 8 mb file, such as "Smoothie King", will bring a Warcraft III map up to a size that is unhostable on battle.net. An 800kb file, such as the compressed version, will allow the map to be hosted. As well, if someone has a lot of smaller audio clips, my guide will allow them to cut the size down so that on-line download speeds can be quicker.

If that's not what you meant by the comment, than I apologize for having you read it.

Level 20
thanks for the answer. Obviously i meant your guide is worthy!
There is a problem however Brad!! When i import the mp3 compressed files in the editor, it tells me "not valid audio file"! What's this???
EDIT: the sound works with media player, it's an mp3 but WE does not recognize it. What now?

Last edited:

jee

jee

Level 1
thanks for the answer. Obviously i meant your guide is worthy!
There is a problem however Brad!! When i import the mp3 compressed files in the editor, it tells me "not valid audio file"! What's this???
EDIT: the sound works with media player, it's an mp3 but WE does not recognize it. What now?

Im having the same problem. I can import the sound file but i can't play it. It's an mp3 file (137 KB). Layer 3 56 kbps 32000 Hz.