• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to: Use Custom Music in Your Map

Level 23
Hi guys!

I think this tutorial might be somewhat outdated ;p

A few months back when I started adding music to my maps, I failed spectacularly in trying to follow the second tutorial on the first page on the compressing music part (I was unable to compress any music successfully). My current map series each have 3-4 imported music songs, and the music is adding + approximately 22mb to each map just from the music. Even though it actually has no effect on lag in game, I think the such a high size is a considerable deterrent to people who want to play the maps. Was wondering if anyone has recently had success with lowering the file size of imported music without a noticeable decrease to the sound quality.

Thanks for your time!

Level 8
Hi tulee! May I ask what audio editor you are using? I'm currently using Audacity to reduce the music imports for my campaign and it works. Each music file I edit is down to 50% of their original size. I can still reduce it a little bit more but I think I'm happy with the results, and it doesn't sound like it's too compressed.

Anyway, what I do is I set the music's rate once to 96000Hz then save it as MP3. And after I import it to WE, I set the pitch to 0.46.

The important part here is that the file size is directly proportional to the length of the music. So you may also want to cut out some unnecessary parts in it if you can. And Audacity is great at that.

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer. I'm not an expert on music editors, I too just followed the guides posted. :)

Level 4
Nothiing works anymore. The trigger "Stop Music" or "Stop Music Theme" Doesnt even stop a Music from Blizzard lets say: "Dark Agents"
It is a complete mess and i simply can't get it to work... the compressing and all worked and now it is from 9MB to 5MB.. however, it wont do anything.
Please make a new tutorial and update all the methods how to make it run. Please <3

Level 4
Stop currently playing Music Theme works from my tests.
But now it has to do with all the different Music Channels. When you click on: Import as Sound, you can choose which channel it is played in.
Just update this post or link it to something newer since it got all revamped. I got the music running eventually but a tutorial on those channels would be very nice. And a updated version of the compression of the custom music. Since Audacity changed as well. Would be really kind to update or link to newer one since finding a clean guide theses days can be a complete mess with all the data in the www