• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to find out and contact responsible moderators for a section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi,

I haven't found any way to get hold of a mod that is responsible for a certain forum or resource section.
Am I missing something or is there no overview (anymore?) ?

pyf and dsg spammed this thread Photoshop Loading Screen Template with offtopic discussion and banter.
I reported like 6 of their posts and would like a moderator to clean the mess up, but there hasn't been any response and I honestly have no idea who is moderating the section so I can contact them.

Same goes for models/resources. I make fixes for older maps/resources quite frequently, allowing them to be played with patch 1.24+ (Virus Infection BETA 21b) or fixing models by adding animations and attachment points (OinkerGeosphere2).

Since these resources are often marked as "approved" but are obviously substandard/broken, i think everybody would benefit from them being updated by a mod, but I haven't gotten any answer.

Is there any up to date list or search function to find active mods?
Does such a thing exist?

Reactions: pyf
In general there's The Hive's Staff, and its "Who To Contact". Someone from staff usually updates it from time to time.

@PurgeandFire is the tutorial master out there, but for sure you were right to go the approach with reporting.

For a re-review of your map map, I would make a post in Staff Contact. But I'm sure the reviewers would also directly help out in case of contact. (also named in the Staff list)

Fixing/changing existing models, or other resources, a thread in staff contact is usually the best way, too.

==

Just my personal view of experience, most of the time if you get the slightest idea of questions or a discussion might arise, Staff Contact is better than personal contact, or report. With an extra thread, it gives more the feeling to solve it officialy and properly, since you are waiting for a reply.. and as the whole staff can have an eye on it, and track it, too.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Last edited:
yeah, doesn't seem like there is an overview anymore. Only way is to go to Members -> Staff Members and then click through them individually to see what section they're in charge of, but it isn't always clear (e.g. I'm a code moderator but technically i just moderate the tutorials section). There is also this thread:
The Hive's Staff

But not sure if it is updated. About your other q (updating resources), seems like you did everything you're supposed to do. It's unfortunate that no one responded. I've tried to update that map myself but it seems like I don't have the permissions. Sometimes I just message the moderator via PM, since ppl usually respond to that more than a direct @.

p.s. i probably shouldn't have installed something called "Virus Infection BETA" on my work laptop :(

EDIT: i've cleaned up that tutorial thread you mentioned

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] pyf and dsg spammed this thread Photoshop Loading Screen Template with offtopic discussion and banter.
I reported like 6 of their posts and would like a moderator to clean the mess up, [...]
I find your definition of what is off-topic in a photoshop loading screen template thread to be *very* debatable, and I am polite here.

Please see:
- Photoshop Loading Screen Template
...and the (appropriate imho) follow-up reaction post here:
- Photoshop Loading Screen Template

What mess exactly has been cleaned up in that thread by @PurgeandFire, I wonder...
:thumbs_down:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I do not understand, care to elaborate please? My Wikipedia link are not random.

But since you mention it, I do remember mislabeling a link as a Wikipedia one in that thread, while it was in fact pointing to the article about NPOT Textures on the Khronos Group web site. Since 2006, the Khronos Group is the official maintainer of the OpenGL specification. In said article, it is written that "while modern hardware no longer has the power-of-two limitation on texture dimensions, it is generally a good idea to keep using power-of-two textures unless you specifically need NPOTs. Mip-mapping with such textures can have slightly unintended consequences, compared to the power-of-two case."

Now after the "off-topic mess" clean up, my link is now gone. But there still remains some posts by someone else who advocates for the use of such textures, simply because they can be used (and even though the official maintainers of the OpenGL specification themselves say it is a good idea to keep using POT textures, unless NPOT ones are specifically needed).

It means that by removing one of my links which was perceived as part of some "off-topic mess" by some individuals, a debatable point of view has now gone unchallenged, all because of a post deletion. afaik, loading screens use textures.

Tutorials are about education. By removing a link which leads to official advice regarding the creation of 2D contents, one is doing amateur content creators a great disservice imho.

Some other information has disappeared in the purge (pun intended). Notably, the one pointing out the discrepancy(?) between the Windows and the Mac version of Warcraft 3 regarding its minimum display resolution (1280x720 on Windows, 1024x768 on Mac). Please see for yourself for an official reference. And now, go tell me that the creator of a loading screen does not care about such information! There might possibly be an eventual reference to it in this post (but I could be wrong on that one).

Level 23
In general there's The Hive's Staff, and its "Who To Contact".
That looks good, if it's up to date, but I didn't find it on my own. I am used to a direct overview like so:
3WK7xB6.png

I think it could be made easier.

p.s. i probably shouldn't have installed something called "Virus Infection BETA" on my work laptop :(

Install? It's a map?!
And thanks.

I find your definition of what is off-topic in a photoshop loading screen template thread to be *very* debatable, and I am polite here.

Trolling now? The mentioned posts are also bad, but it was a 1-time thing by me and the other guy, from years ago. Not a 12 post discussion between you and DSG about opinionated off topic matters.

Tutorials are about education. By removing a link which leads to official advice regarding the creation of 2D contents, one is doing amateur content creators a great disservice imho.

Yes, the tutorial, not the comments most people probably won't read. And as also illustrated in the thread by "AlwaysAndForever", immediately a user got confused, by conflicting and unclear statements in the comments.
This is much much more of a disservice, than not having that extra bit of secret knowledge, which in the end does NOT matter.
Conclusively, imho your discussion with DSG did the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.
If you really want to contribute valuable additions to the tutorial, a comment with that exact suggestion would be welcome by me and I would add the information.
As it stands, your posts contained loads of useless garbage (talking about voodoo, opengl, and arguing, wtf?)
And if your argument here is meant serious, no offense, I would suggest talking a good look at yourself and how/what you post here.
For me it just looks like trolling and shitposting rn.

Reactions: San

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Trolling now?
I am not trolling, and I think you know it.

The mentioned posts are also bad, but it was a 1-time thing by me and the other guy, from years ago.
The year is irrelevant. Off-topic means off-topic. period.

Not a 12 post discussion between you and DSG about opinionated off topic matters.
One-post discussions do not exist.
At least two of my comments explicitly mentioned the creation of loading screens as well as the creation of maps / campaigns, to be somewhat on-topic.

Yes, the tutorial, not the comments most people probably won't read.
At least two of my comments explicitly mentioned the creation of loading screens as well as the creation of maps / campaigns, to be somewhat on-topic. I therefore agree that some people do indeed not read posts. Speaking of that, I remember having to repeat myself / specifically point out excerpts from my previous posts, because someone did not read said posts properly, which kept the conversation dragging somewhat.

And as also illustrated in the thread by "AlwaysAndForever", immediately a user got confused, by conflicting and unclear statements in the comments.
This is much much more of a disservice, than not having that extra bit of secret knowledge, which in the end does NOT matter.
Really? iirc, the post by him mentioning "If warcraft III no longer supports 1024x768" was written by him *before* I myself mentioned to DSG the fact that in the official Warcraft 3 system requirements, the minimum display resolution were now 1280x720 on Windows, and 1024x768 on Mac. Not after. But because the posts are now gone and because you seem to infer I am misleading people, I am now asking @PurgeandFire to please tell me which one came first.

Of course, this info is still available on the official Warcraft 3 system requirements page as of this writing. Is Blizzard getting people confused with their own statements?

Now, who exactly got confused, and by what?
As it stands, your posts contained loads of useless garbage (talking about voodoo, opengl, and arguing, wtf?)
What is useless to you is not garbage.
When one talks about technical subjects, expect a technical discussion featuring technical info about hardware.

And if your argument here is meant serious, no offense, I would suggest talking a good look at yourself and how/what you post here.
I have lived long enough to take a good look at myself several times already. Thanks for your concern.

Now, what/how do I post here according to you that maybe raises some eyebrows, and which would require me to take a good look at myself, may I ask?

For me it just looks like trolling and shitposting rn.
You are entitled to your opinions. Too bad most of the posts are now gone, which means other people can not make their own minds any longer regarding what was posted, and why.

But hey, we haven't lost everything: that post pointing to the Wikipedia page about Conchita Wurst is still there! Which means it is still relevant in a photoshop loading screen template thread, which was supposed to be cleaned of the off-topic mess, by request of the thread starter.

Last edited:
Level 23
Staff Contact all the way. We have looked at your report and not decided to make an action yet.

???
The action has already been taken, unless you mean before this post.
Which then begs the question of the point of the report function. Just for spam?

The year is irrelevant. Off-topic means off-topic. period.

Yes, it is offtopic, no the year is not irrelevant. It was offtopic at the time, and should have been dealt with, but wasn't. There is no point in retroactively deleting the posts, nor do they legitimize further off topic posts.

Last edited:
Really? iirc, the post by him mentioning "If warcraft III no longer supports 1024x768" was written by him *before* I myself mentioned to DSG the fact that in the official Warcraft 3 system requirements, the minimum display resolution were now 1280x720 on Windows, and 1024x768 on Mac. Not after. But because the posts are now gone and because you seem to infer I am misleading people, I am now asking @PurgeandFire to please tell me which one came first.

You are correct. He asked that before you posted in the thread.

pyf and I are gonna talk this out in staff contact separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.