1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

How to: Create a Full-working Custom Race

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by Interceptor, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is in General, If / Then / Else (Multiple Functions)

Yes you can, but that would mean the replaced units will be unplayable by AI, effectively eliminating one entire race from the game.

Er... no idea o.o
    I'm too lazy to learn JASS, and I've already been told it's impossible to work perfectly in GUI.
    You can give it a try if you are eager :p

2. hayatesasaki

hayatesasaki

Resources:
    Resources:
    Er... no idea o.o
    I'm too lazy to learn JASS, and I've already been told it's impossible to work perfectly in GUI.
    You can give it a try if you are eager :p[/QUOTE]

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG NOOOOOO!!!! First, i haven't the first clue about triggering, 2 : I want to be a modeler/map maker , and to do THAT it would need to learn triggering! but...... no -_- I do feel all special inside because you thought I knew how to trigger though :pgrin: hense my title ^^

3. Warcraft_Tester

Warcraft_Tester

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dude its possible when I tested it the ai were happy and used it freely like it was a human or a undead, it was so awesome.

Edited:
    I Didn't know much about the AI but i figure out of a way which you can play a race using The AI triggers and the editor.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. Warcraft23130

Warcraft23130

Resources:
    Resources:
    Arg!!!!i did the trigger, AND IN GAME I STILL HAVE PEASENTS AND A TOWN HALL!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Going MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. abyss69

abyss69

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey, guys, sorry if this is a very noobish question, i'm really new to this. Is the thing that Edagras said possible? I would like to make the user chos from the menu list which race to play with, and not just human/orc/undead/night elf. Keep up the great work and sorry for my bad english.:infl_thumbs_up:

6. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Re-opened.

7. Rafal

Rafal

Resources:
    Resources:
    If there are still people having problems creating an additional town hall ... here´s the solution:
    Adding an upgrade to a building which can not be build, the "not buildable building" should be upgradeable to the new custom town hall
    let me show it you in an example:
    i want a new Main Building for Naga (Temple of Tides)
    Town Hall (Human) -> FakeMain (This Building is Disabled = Not Buildable) -> Temple of Tides

@Vengeancekael thank you for re-opening^^

8. MrHobby53

MrHobby53

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    :( but is that posible with AI?

9. MegaDeath11

MegaDeath11

Resources:
    Resources:
    Some one please! make a Youtube video of this? :D i dont really understand :(

10. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello; I was reading this thread and I couldn't resist the one hour of work that it would take me to get you guys a JASS script system for this. With the attached map, any unit that has "Stats - Unit Classification" set to include "Town Hall" will count for Blizzard's reveal system. It's a little hack of their original JASS code that I've been using for mod-making, myself. (The entire victory/defeat system is already written in JASS for you! It hardly seems worthwhile to me to even attempt re-writing in GUI what you already have available!)

So, anyway, the attached map worked in all of my tests and is just a copy of all of the important victory/defeat code, then hacked to allow any town center-type unit to count for the annoying reveal system.

To use this system, just copy & paste all of the code from this map's "Custom Script" section into your map. Then, copy or create the String-type variable "RevealWarning" into your map. After that, enabling the system is as easy as this:

In your "Melee Initialization" trigger that was created inherently by the World Editor, you'll see an Action looking like this:
    [​IMG]
    Just remove it, and instead put in this line of custom script:
    [​IMG]
    If you copied the custom script correctly, this will activate the customized melee victory/defeat conditions that I made instead of the normal ones.

I overwrote the reference to the "You will be revealed to your opponents unless you build an X" message, too. It's just a trigger GUI variable that has to be named "RevealWarning". Now, changing it is as simple as this:

A Short Variable-edit Tutorial
    Click the "X" to open up variables.
    [​IMG]

Double-click the "RevealWarning" variable -- it's in my map, or if you're working in your own map you should have copied it in.
    [​IMG]

You'll see a popup that looks like this. One part of it says "Initial Value:" and has blue text -- the next step will be clicking on that text.
    [​IMG]

This brings up the popup that lets you edit the "You will be revealed..." message. From there, you can make your changes and then push "OK" about three times to save the changes.
    [​IMG]

I know that was probably an overly elaborate description of dealing with the GUI variables -- I'm sure a lot of you already knowing everything there is to know about using them -- but I figured I'd try to make it all as easy as possible for everyone to use.

Attached Files:

11. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Retera
    You're amazing! Good job, now no more hassle, I don't have to afraid of making altered Melee maps :D

12. HighKnightJS

HighKnightJS

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome I made a Naga Race replacing the Orc Race. Still having problems in my Reveal System thing so I just deleted it. I will just quit when i destroy all enemy buildings.

13. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Congrats!

Did you try Retera's post? It is two posts above yours. It may be of use. :)

14. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you need any help implementing my system, let me know. I tried to make it as easy as possible, but I could assist if it doesn't work for you.

Good luck, sounds like you're doing good work. :)

15. HighKnightJS

HighKnightJS

Resources:
    Resources:
    It gave me Script Errors

Edit: The problem was I didnt copy all the JASS script and left 1 thing. It really worked great. TY.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  16. -JohnrheyCastor-

-JohnrheyCastor-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks,
    Ill Make A New Race For my new map...

:goblin_good_job:

17. G.One

G.One

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have used a better idea

I just didnt like old races that why I modified the real file in the unit editor. This also helped me making the old AI working for these races too so i didnt require to make new AI.

18. Dawnbringer

Dawnbringer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Such a great guide! Thanks. Can anyone tell me, how to extend the race menu functionally ? (Remove handicap, and add new lines to Race)

19. SuperJakiro

SuperJakiro

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank You for this man .. :)

20. An Idiot

An Idiot

Resources:
    Resources:
    actually you don't need to have the caster units creation building:ogre_datass:
    if you don't wanted to have unit that can cast spell lol