Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

How long will Warcraft 3 last?

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by aider, Apr 3, 2011.

?

How long do you think Warcraft 3 will last?

1. Forever and ever to the everlasting ever!

97 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Maybe 5-15 more years

73 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. Only a few more years.

52 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Until the day after tomorrow.

14 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't know if at 13 we aren't a child anymore or not. Math-wise you are a teen since 10 years old. And it's not about the physical age, is about the mental age. There are people who are 40 years old, but their mind like of an average 12 year old.

As pure entertainment value of a fictive/fantasy story I didn't say LOTR is poor entertainment.

Okay, let's say you got LOTR, takes you one week to read it fully. What's the conclussion? What can you say when you reach the end of the book? Can you say that you have learned anything? Can you say that what you read applies in real life? Is there any real testament that the hobbit (aka David) has defeated his challenge and survived (aka killed Goliath) from this tale?

Because that's one of the morals of the story, that a small being can conquer a larger goal. So if you look at the root of the story, it's value is not better then David vs Goliath.... or of the bear tricked by the fox. However the moral of the story cannot be tested in any way, because the characters didn't exist.

On the other hand, Napoleon existed. He fought the english at a very high scene and lost the war. It was Napoleon's genius against England's money and influence. Napoleon lost. There is no direct moral to be learned from the life of Napoleon, there is only what your mind can comprehend. However, I do not feel that I wasted my time if I read the life about Napoleon, because I can always talk him without any problems to any cultured individual of any age. I can talk about Napoleon with my grandfather, mother, father, brother, nephew, with all of them without ever thinking if it's a problem or not. And if there is something to be learne from the life of Napoleon, there is for example the Obelix in Paris stolen from Egypt. Supposedly Napoleon was the one who broke the nose of the Sphinx.

But with LOTR... I can talk about it on a LOTR forum I guess, and maybe with some people of the same age, but like there is no follow-up to it... just like a match of Warcraft3.

So in this way I see LOTR bad. Because there is absolutely no follow-up afterwards. Unless you yourself want to become a writer.

But otherwise useless.Because you can get entertained by something else and have much more to gain after that action.

Of course, it's also a matter of taste. And although I really liked that book when I was young, I would never recommend it to anyone, unless that person just wants to escape real life.

I don't think I can explain my thought process better. Also I do not care about reviews. A lot of reviews are too subjective and some are even bought with money.

2. Dynamiczx

Dynamiczx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Does something that you read in a book really has to apply in the real life?

Other than that...i think we are pretty going offtopic now xD

3. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's what I'm saying. As entertainment... no. As real value... yes. Because time doesn't go back on you. :pir:

Don't worry, someone should pop-up and say that Warcraft will live on forever sometime in the next few minutes :p

4. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, let's just agree to disagree then. You don't think a book/movie is really worth your time if it doesn't teach you anything; I think it is.

5. w3.player

w3.player

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Edhel-dur... no offence but... are you saying that a moral is something meant to make us look for proof of it? As far as i know... the moral is a teaching which is meant to help us in our life... and the proof for it is something you make yourself, if you believe in it... than you try it yourself. If it works out... it's true, if not... it's false.

6. DD Canada

DD Canada

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello,

To answer the original question, I think Warcraft will remain populated forever, like any other game always has someone to play it.

It's a pity, though, that BNet is a dying breed.

7. noob

noob

Resources:
    Resources:
    This poll show there is 7.5 percent of non hive users in hive

8. Dynamiczx

Dynamiczx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol, not really :p you don't need to be a w3 player to be a hive user xD but i get what you meant though

9. TerraNexx

TerraNexx

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm playing warcraft 3 since i was 12..and i practically grew up with it and WE of course :D
    It would be cool to see warcraft on the scene forever but i doubt that will happen, so i estimate it for couple more years to come.

10. Xian

Xian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why bump this thread lol...

11. Bond009

Bond009

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It will be around as long as ppl continue to make better games for wc3 than sc2 or whatever else have you.. :)

Also I make bots that connect every bnet realm together as well as other servers like eurobattle and Ombuserver and europe.warcraft3.eu and rubattle.net etc.. This brings 1000's of people from all different servers together as one which makes games fill faster and keeps wc3 alive :D

12. Kala

Kala

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Only 31k players on TFT currently online :(
    Warcraft is dying fast

13. HFR

HFR

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Considering that in some games online players vanish after a year or so, that's not that bad.

14. Garfield1337

Garfield1337

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    There r many more people playing on garena than on battlenet D:

15. TerraNexx

TerraNexx

Resources:
    Resources:
    What? I'm just sharing my opinion..

16. NightElf125

NightElf125

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Is this game still worth making a map with for someone who wants there map to become popular and get noticed? (i.e. possibly the next dota or similar) Because I'm considering moving my current map project to starcraft II, due to the vast number of players. But I'm really not sure because I love warcraft and it'll take a while to learn the scII editor.

17. w3.player

w3.player

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In my opinion... still trying to make a map here for W3 isn't a bad idea... in the next 5-10 years there are still chances for many maps to become popular and maybe who knows... they could even bring more players back to W3. But also getting started in the SC2 modding isn't bad, you could try both if you have the time.

18. Garfield1337

Garfield1337

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I recently started a rather big Wc3 project. I, too, was worried if it was worth it, since Wc3 is dying, but still, i just don't like Sc2 so i started it on Wc3.

19. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    @NightElf125
    If you are serious and want to make something really popular and advance yourself in this domain, maybe you should do it in SC2. SC2 is the future really.

If you want to do it as a hobby, than stick to Wc3 if you like it more.

20. Marc Mamales

Marc Mamales

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources: