• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hosted Project of the Year 2009 (and 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Or perhaps the staff knows more that we let on.

I highly doubt that. I'd be willing to bed that no staff members aside from DSG have followed the progress of AtD from 2008-2009 nor have they played it. I think D3WC3 is a great project and deserves credit where credit is do, but WC3:WoW has never been nor ever will be finished. It is a dead end and overambitious mod.

I am not trying to toot my own horn here, I'm merely pointing out that this was no more than a popularity contest.

Level 24
I feel obliged to defend the choices made by the staff here. To start with hvo: Yes, they have not publicly released a playable, well anything. However, they have demonstrated quality in their 'PR', and what they have shown. They have a community, and the game has been under constant development. Sure, they haven't reached the end. Heck, they may never reach the end. I'd guess that the decision here isn't about the end-game product, but also about the process they underwent to reach it.

1)ark_NiTe, you're pointing out it was no more than a popularity contest. What else were you expecting it to be?

I haven't played your map myself, but that is something I'll get onto in the next little while. Then I'll throw you a review, and we can have a more informed discussion.

Level 18
1)ark_NiTe, you're pointing out it was no more than a popularity contest. What else were you expecting it to be?

Well I would hope it would be a map that was picked by mods from a pool of other Hosted Projects and judged on many criteria. Like I alluded to, I'm not saying I expected to win or that I'm upset that I didn't. The point I'm trying to make is that it's wrong that other maps (like mine) had no chance from the get-go.

I haven't played your map myself, but that is something I'll get onto in the next little while. Then I'll throw you a review, and we can have a more informed discussion.

Good to hear. If you do get around to playing it wait for 2.94 to come out. No rush but I have been wanting someone to do a full review of my map.

Level 17
Thanks all! :D

Edit: By the way, you should really check our forum for discussions.
And one thing: I wonder how the award is chosen?

You lucky bastard, haha :D
You joined the team not so long ago, and there isnt even a release of d3w containing anything from you, or am i wrong? :p
I know that you deserve it and all, i just tell you that your kinda lucky that joined us in time, and the_silent who left us just like that didnt get anything at all :p

Anyway,
Wc3:WoW, have accomplished something, a HELL OF ALOT of awesome terrain that looks almost exactly like it does in wow sometimes, and that is really hard to do for many people. They have done much much more then people may know. They have worked for years, and have made some great process, even if the map is not released to the project they have done something, and they have screenshots to prove it.

Its the same with sc2.. you can not pretend that it havent accomplished anything at all and doesnt deserve anything at all only becouse it isnt released to the public yet. That is just wrong.

They have done something, and if you say something else, its just becouse you dont like the map or becouse you are jealous.

I have played wow since the damn beta of wow came out (okay, i havent played wow for 2 months, but thats becouse i do not feel like spending my money on wow right now) And i tell you, They have done some amazing stuff.

Level 35
Woot? D3W is imho badly coded, but we develop it, so it will become better and better. :p (I shouldn't say this, I am in the team, lol. But come on, which map has GUI these days?)

That was my point as well.. but let it be with that for now.. Didn't intend to talk about another discussion in this discussion. :grin:

Looking forward to the next version.

Level 25
I believe TKoK did not win because some of the changes made to it since the revamp were a bit of a turn off for the hardcore players and it turned a lot of people off. The complete level design change was one thing, but it wasn't a big deal. However, the aggro system they added is what really killed it for me and other players. It used to be fun to try and pull one mob at a time because of the risky challenge of accidentally pulling more than one. Now, trying to aggro one will aggro dozens. It would be fine if it were easy to find a full game of people, because then such a system would make sense and fit. However, being that you'd be lucky to get in a match with 4 people, getting swarmed is easy and unsettling. Therefore, despite all the pretty systems and whatnot for it, some of the more simplistic features to it ruined it. I loved TKoK and feel it was the best ORPG for WarCraft III ever made. Now it has fallen to an uncomfortable state... they should've just left it the way it was, if ya ask me.

If you think about it, Against the Darkness was also a worthy candidate to win best 2009 Hosted Project of the Year. I see it being played on Battle.Net every now and then, and to be honest, slightly more than Diablo III WarCraft is played on Battle.net. It may just be the server I'm on, but ATD certainly shown it could win. However, I can also understand why it did not. Usually when I play ATD, the objectives and playstyle of the map don't quickly catch-on to some players, pretty much leaving them as live bait for the Death Knight. This was also a problem for TKoK I noticed. People were too stupid to figure out the map's simple systems. Also, D3W was more for a popularity vote (as was my mod's victory, for sure) because everyone has an idea of what Diablo III is and people seem to be attracted to good mods that try to replicate games; WarCraft III: World of Warcraft was another one.

ATD may be a good mod and might even be played slightly more on some servers, but it just isn't simple or easy enough for new players. It's focused more towards hardcore players it seems - which is fine! However, Diablo III WarCraft succeeds by being simple and good looking. All you do is follow a linear route, kill monsters and bosses, and make sure you're healing or protecting the healers. So, was it a popularity vote? Definitely. There's no justified argument I can think of that could prove otherwise. But was it at all about how the actual mod worked? Yeah! How else could they have gotten popular in the first place? D3W is personally more enjoyable than ATD (I suck at ATD though so yeah) because of its simplicity and how players don't ragequit within the first five minutes of the game. You can be playing with totally new players in D3W and get pretty far. Can't do that in ATD, from my experiences.

Level 18
Craka_J,

Thank you. I agree with everything that you said above. You are very right in saying that AtD has a high learning curve for new players. Once people learn the ropes after a few games it becomes much easier and more enjoyable for them. I also agree that D3W appeals more broadly to new players because it is so easy to hop into the game and start playing (there's not much question as to what you're supposed to be doing or how you should be doing it.)

These are part of the reason why earlier in my posts I made it clear that I was not saying AtD should have won over D3W. I was frustrated that it was probably not even considered. Anyway, thanks for everything you said above.

Level 6
If you think about it, Against the Darkness was also a worthy candidate to win best 2009 Hosted Project of the Year. I see it being played on Battle.Net every now and then, and to be honest, slightly more than Diablo III WarCraft is played on Battle.net. It may just be the server I'm on, but ATD certainly shown it could win.

First off if ATD gets HOSTED more than Diablo shouldn't it win the HOSTED project of the year award?

Second um... i don't think many people would agree with me but... who cares about wow for warcraft 3? lol just go play a private server. Same thing with Diablo just go play Diablo 2. I'm sure these two are great games but really... there not original there just copies of other games that have already been made.

Level 37
BlinkforFear said:
Second um... i don't think many people would agree with me but... who cares about wow for warcraft 3? lol just go play a private server. Same thing with Diablo just go play Diablo 2. I'm sure these two are great games but really... there not original there just copies of other games that have already been made.
Hehe... That's what I have always believed(so unoriginal to copy other games, make your own world!). :D

I believe TKoK did not win because some of the changes made to it since the revamp were a bit of a turn off for the hardcore players and it turned a lot of people off. The complete level design change was one thing, but it wasn't a big deal. However, the aggro system they added is what really killed it for me and other players. It used to be fun to try and pull one mob at a time because of the risky challenge of accidentally pulling more than one. Now, trying to aggro one will aggro dozens. It would be fine if it were easy to find a full game of people, because then such a system would make sense and fit. However, being that you'd be lucky to get in a match with 4 people, getting swarmed is easy and unsettling. Therefore, despite all the pretty systems and whatnot for it, some of the more simplistic features to it ruined it. I loved TKoK and feel it was the best ORPG for WarCraft III ever made. Now it has fallen to an uncomfortable state... they should've just left it the way it was, if ya ask me.
Main reason why it didn't win (or even have much of a chance) was because it just became a hosted project right at the end of the year.

These are part of the reason why earlier in my posts I made it clear that I was not saying AtD should have won over D3W. I was frustrated that it was probably not even considered. Anyway, thanks for everything you said above.
It was definitely considered. If there was a 2nd place for hosted project of the year then AtD would've gotten it for one of the years.

... my bad the first post didn't exactly say that... oh well my 2nd point is still good no?
It was kinda implied since that's what we mean by "hosted project". :p

They may not be original but damn they've definitely put a lot of effort into them to make their projects great. And that's what counts. ;D

Level 18
It was definitely considered. If there was a 2nd place for hosted project of the year then AtD would've gotten it for one of the years.

Well that makes me feel a bit better about this whole thing.

They may not be original but damn they've definitely put a lot of effort into them to make their projects great. And that's what counts. ;D

Yeah I agree. I have no problem with maps that are modeled off of other games. It's really cool to see when one game can modded into a completely different game.

Level 37
I feel little bias.

Now that I have heard people cannot make new Hosted Project and after all there are only few Hosted I'm not so sure about the rewards. I understand that there are some outsanding projects and great effort have been given.

But why no more Hosted Projects? Because now the rewards are given from previous years, I suggest either suggest to remove all the hosted projects, or allow people to create new Hosted Projects.

What do you say? I think at the moment things are not fair.

Level 17
I think it have been fair for the years that have been, becouse people was able to get hosted before, meaning that all had their chance, right?
But if you right that they do not accept any more projects, i guess that it would be unfair to have it for the next years, becouse it would only be the projects from the year before competing again.

Level 37
LTGH said:
I think it have been fair for the years that have been, becouse people was able to get hosted before, meaning that all had their chance, right?
Hahahhahaa.... HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAAHAHAH. HEHEHEHEHEHEHH...

All had their chance? Please, no more. No more. This site have never been fair. Guess how long I have been trying to have a position like this? Three fucking years and I already gave up and in the end made my own website. I have had many circusses over here many times.

LTGH said:
But if you right that they do not accept any more projects, i guess that it would be unfair to have it for the next years, becouse it would only be the projects from the year before competing again.
Still not fair. I'm getting pissed even more... You cannot understand how people have smacked straight to my face in this site years after years... And this time I'm not going let that happen again. Shall my warpath begin: Remove all or let there be new ones! Justice shall be made!

1)ark_NiTe said:
Where did you read that they're no longer introducing new hosted projects?
Mister Linaze told me in this thead.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/chosen-ones-pre-beta-155843/

Level 24
Hosted projects are what they've always been, as far as I know, the Hive still accepts these.
Hosted forums are some garbage Ghan invented so every noob could get their own forum for their project, luckily, Poot shut this down, although some remain.

Level 17
So, why is everyone whining about this contest again? It's a contest over the internet with no real rewards, so I am confused on why so many people are taking this very seriously.

Yeah.

Also i wonder how people can say that it is so unfair?
How did diablo 3 Warcraft become a hosted project? I have no freaking idea. Maybe becouse we worked months nonstop & made almost weekly updates to the map & always came with new content and rebalace & That people simply loved the map, we were even in magazines and everything...
And maybe.. just MAYBE... that is few reasons to why we got our project hosted here on hive.

And yeah, hosted Forums.. pfft... That was just some trash that never, ever had some real use. It was like you had your own sub-forum in a sub-forum that no one even knew about. Diablo 3 Warcraft had one before we got hosted here on hive, but it was almost never used.

You can not say that it is unfair only becouse you have worked longer then others. If all of us in the d3w team put the time togheter that we have spend on working on d3w, it would be hell of a lot of time. I used all my free time, and im serious, i used ALL my free time the first 3 months on d3w, becouse i dont have anything else to do. I always sit at the computer, if not, im sitting at the TV, and thats pretty much what i do. So i spended all my time on working on the map just to make it to what it is, and it is not many people that does that to a map.. Nowdays i spend my entire days on forums as some people may have noticed..

Level 37
Wc3:WoW is a hosted project.
The Human Sin (Septimus campaign) is a hosted forum.

Okay, so they are almost same. Only difference is that "Hosted Projects" are in the main page and "Hosted Forums" are inside a thread called "The Hive Workshop Hosted Forums".

So, why is everyone whining about this contest again? It's a contest over the internet with no real rewards, so I am confused on why so many people are taking this very seriously.

It's you good to say: Your projectS have been in the main page for years.

Ohh... What a mess... I suggest simply to move all the "Hosted Projects" inside to that thread so all projects will be "Hosted Forums" and then it's fair for everyone because everyone can do "Hosted Forums"... Of course with the permission of the moderators.

Level 6

your right and your wrong...
your right cause well no your not... your wrong cause D3 can say there hives hosted project of the year how is that not a reward... though its not that big of one. Your also wrong about it being a CONTEST it was just the mods taking the most downloaded game and sticking it in a thread, though i must say if its the most downloaded game it probably deserves it.

Level 25
your right and your wrong...
your right cause well no your not...
So which one is it? I'm right or wrong?

your wrong cause D3 can say there hives hosted project of the year how is that not a reward... though its not that big of one. Your also wrong about it being a CONTEST it was just the mods taking the most downloaded game and sticking it in a thread, though i must say if its the most downloaded game it probably deserves it.
The bold text you just said pretty much makes it a contest. Not a public one, but for the mods it was. Therefore, it was a contest and I was right. You were wrong.

Level 17
So which one is it? I'm right or wrong?

The bold text you just said pretty much makes it a contest. Not a public one, but for the mods it was. Therefore, it was a contest and I was right. You were wrong.

Isnt he wrong anyway?
I cant remember that your campaign is the most downloaded one?
Becouse there is no damn download link! :p

So that fails.. it must be something else..

Level 24
Everyone remain calm. These are the projects that won. This doesn't mean that all projects that didn't win, or aren't hosted are being scorned by the site.

A decision has been made and justified by the staff on what seems to be all counts, and you're (Meaning you LTGH) and doing nothing but attacking other projects.

Play nicely.

Level 17
Everyone remain calm. These are the projects that won. This doesn't mean that all projects that didn't win, or aren't hosted are being scorned by the site.

A decision has been made and justified by the staff on what seems to be all counts, and you're (Meaning you LTGH) and doing nothing but attacking other projects.

Play nicely.

Well, im sorry, but i actually said that some people does deserve the award, and i didnt mention that i really deserve it.. i think.. i dont remember.
I only "attacked" Aeroblyctos.
And we actually talked about this in the chat, and it ended up with me trying to help him to get his project hosted... So please, dont say that im attacking other projects, becouse that really isnt what im trying to do.

It may have sounded like that yes, but really, it wasnt suppost to be like that..

Level 3
What a shame, while this map may have some of the best terrain ive ever seen, The gameplay is so bland and boring...Sure its a bit entertaining to fight that first mob of creatures, but they just keep coming and it loses its charm.

Its just too easy! It gets boring after about 2 minutes of playing it with the uncreative spells and the mobs of enemies that do one damage to you, which your regeneration completely murders.

The only thing good i can say about it is that the bosses arent completely useless and actualy use custom triggered spells instead of standing and attacking the closest enemy. Many other hosted projects deserved this more than the bore that was Diablo III warcraft.

And now i prepare for the hatemail..

Level 8
Had enough of the Hosted Forums bashing ? They have a reason to exist and they are nice to have.
And this("contest"), as people said, was nothing else then the most downloaded map getting praised.

And People don't remember 2008 I guess for giving it to WC:WoW...I'm disappointed.

Level 8
TKoK 2.XX was still in development swooping the bnet with around 10 full clans. Non stop games hosted of it. Lots of players. The fastest development a map has ever seen. Then it officially died feb 2009 and got resurrected now as 3.xx. Thats why I'm disappointed for choosing WC3:WoW that hasnt seen a release from 5(right ?) years over it...

Status
Not open for further replies.