1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Hive's Battlefield] - A community Map

Discussion in 'Hive's Core' started by Xarwin, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    A community map with member heroes

So, what exactly?
    Hive’s Battlefield will be an AoS based map which features community members as heroes.
    Each hero has his own special abilities and looks.
    Customization is one of the main attributes to this map. The plan is making it more outstanding than just a regular AoS.

Featured Systems
    Warcraft III can be edited more than regular users know. And we are going to take that advantage.
    However, we will take note to create “easy” systems, making it understandable in game for the so named “newbies”. Systems which we’ll probably going to include are:
    • Hero Selection System
      - At the start of the game you’re allowed to pick one community member hero.
      “Choose your Destiny”.
      We are still searching for a system which we will use in our map.
    • Spawn System
      - Without the friendly forces the game would be boring, no? Our Spawn system exists out of creating different units for the battles. More information can be found at the creeps.
    • Move System
      - We need a good movement system for our ally creeps/forces. While they are issued to do an action they also should react when doing nothing and after casting a spell.
    • Upgrade System
      - A system which upgrades creeps over time. Important to keep the game balanced.
      We need to take care of different upgrades because we have different units.
      Perhaps heroes will gain updates too in order to replace the current attribute effect.
    • Customized Attribute System
      - We will completely separate the original attribute effect linked to the main hero stats (life, mana, regeneration, attack, attack speed, armor, and anything else I’d miss). Hero stats will be updated manually each time they gain a level. Using this technique allows us to add a new dimension to heroes and their abilities by making “Strength, Agility and Intelligence” seriously mean something. Each attribute could increase resistance, damage done by spells and eventually more. The effect with be based on the current number (a higher number adds more effect).
    • Kill System
      Everyone hates kill stealers. Well in our game no more.
      Anti Steal System engaged! The hero which damaged the source the most will most likely get the kill meanwhile allies who helped up gain assist kills.
      Beside this, we’ll include the lovely killing spree system like most of you know it.
    • Death System
      Its just dumb when a hero dies and disappears. To add a twist we’ll add a system which makes the hero fall upon battle right on the spot it got owned. In the meanwhile you’ll gain a spirit which can resurrect your hero by going near its body. You can compare it with the WoW death system.
      Wait time is also included: your spirit is slowed for each level a hero gains. Distance takes an important note too.
    • Multiboard System
      Almost each map has it! A multiboard! Important to track the current status in the game.
    • Item Recipe System
      We’ll be using an item recipe system in order to fuse different items together into greater ones. It makes the map more advanced, and grants a better quality when playing with items.
      After all, items mostly cause the win.
    • Weather Change System
      We will include a nice and swift system that automatically suits the weather like it should be. Variation is an important matter when gaming.
    • Custom AI
      Creeps, NPC’s and more will be controlled through Artificial intelligence. It is important that when you play everything is running perfectly.

Map & Terrain Information
    Most AoS games have lanes. In these lanes allied “creeps” will spawn to continue and push to the enemy roads in order to conquer more and more, ending up eventually owning their total base.
    I’d like keep the same method as it should be. However, to keep it more interesting we will add a twist in the middle lane to create some unique tactics out of them.
    Below you can find a link to our current terrain look:

The terrain will be highly customized and a damned hot eye candy to play on.

Battle System – Attack & Missles & Missiles
    The plan is to get a good customized system for battles. This means that each attack is moderated by the attack system. This way allows us to create things which have never been done in a map before. Using it in this way we can easily control damage, creating other systems out of it and eventually combinate it with advanced abilities.
    Also, we’ll include a custom missle system which grants 100% control about missles fired.

Heroes
    Heroes are the most important part of the game. They bring the extra weight upon enemies to win battles or to lose them against others.
    It is important that each hero is highly customized.
    Each hero in this game will have additional 3 spells, 1 ultimate and 1 attribute spell.
    Beside the fact of having spells, a custom attribute system is also added to the hero which has been explained earlier. Also, we’re planning to add double casting events. This means that heroes who are near may cast together at the same time (or around) and then executing a move together.
    For example: Hero 1 casts Holy light, Hero 2 casts Heal. Together this becomes Holy Heal and doubles the effect. Still under construction and in discussion though.

But hell, let’s talk about the next, the good stuff! Each hero is a community member. For now, we will just pick the community members which will be inside of the game (+ team members in this project).
    The beautiful on this part is that members can start creating their own ideal self in games and add a storyline to it.

Items
    Next on topic, items!
    Items are awesome and mainly a great support to heroes in game. It is my intention to add a lot of different items to the game which have a LOT of features.
    Beside that we’re planning to implant a custom item recipe system in order to combinate different items. It will surely increase the amount of choice in items and what’s even more important: more strategies to play with your hero!

Creeps/Spawns
    Like all dumb AoS maps, we will have a spawning force of creeps.
    However, like I said that’s just dumb. We will be adding an advanced way of creep creation in an unique way. For example a barrack first would train a weaponless unit. Once this unit is completed it will pick up a random weapon and aims for his battle.
    So by all means creeps are always unique and will have balanced ways of pushing to the enemy base. A clash of weapons might be swords, axes, shields <-- warriors , staffs, rods, spheres <-- magicians, Bow, glaives, bomb <-- ranged, and so on.

Hero List (WIPS)
    Heroes are coming up soon!

Layout
    Custom layouts will be added by all means that the original warcraft 3 Graphical Interface inside the game will be changed to something unique. Custom icons, skins, models and more may be added as well.

Members
    The project grew with a huge speed in members which is great.
    Each member contributes with his own skills and awesomeness.
    Member Name Work field
    Xarwin Project Leader
    Anachron Lead Scripter
    MortAr- Lead Terrainer
    Midnighters Ideas, Secondary triggering
    Redscores Coding
    Dondustin Models
    The_Reborn_Devil Coding
    General Frank Models
    HailFireer Beta tester, Idea's, Doodad models
    Septimus Beta tester
    watermelon_1234 Coding
    WherewolfTherewolf Beta tester, Music, Grammar, Idea's
    M0rbid Terrain
    supertoinkz Icons & Models
    Lore-Wolf Beta tester & Idea's
    Trax. Terrain & Hero Creation/Balancing
    Mr.Goblin Icons, Map Preview Image
    krisserz Beta tester
    ShiiK Skins & Graphics
    Red Shift Graphics, Loadingscreen Artwork

To join our project please make a post in this topic, talk to me in the chat or PM me.
    Please mention your work field. I've added work fields of the people I know. If I'm wrong, please contact me.

Member Name Working on... Estimated Finishing Date Further Actions Status
    MortAr- & Anachron (& Xarwin) Terrain 02/04/2010 Map pass to M0rbid (taking over) & Xarwin (checking, backup) Under Construction
    DonDustin Ping Model 05/04/2010 Model pass to Xarwin (data collect and backup) Finished
    Mr.Goblin Command Icons unknown Data pass to Xarwin (data collect and backup) Under Construction
    Xarwin Death System 11/04/2010 backup Under Construction
    Anachron Missle System 07/04/2010 Data pass to Xarwin (data collect and backup) Under Construction
    Anachron Spawn System / Data pass to Xarwin (data collect and backup) Finished
    Anachron Movement System / Data pass to Xarwin (data collect and backup) Finished
    Anachron Window System unknown Data pass to Xarwin (data collect and backup) Under Constructions

Remember that members will get their deserved credits for all of their hard work and time spend on the map.

This is the second time I’ve updated the post big time.
    Thanks for checking it out and hopefully you’ll be joining us either by following us or aiding us.

This post is updated time by time.

P.s. I apologize for my lack of English at certain spots.

-Xarwin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. MortAr

MortAr

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Looking forward for it and willing to help with something.

3. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can help with what I can, but keep in mind, I am working on an AoS of my own.

4. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm a nobody. Can I help? :D

P.S. Love the avatar.

5. foo_sharp

foo_sharp

Resources:
    Resources:
    As much as I like the idea of community themed maps, I've never seen a single well executed one (doesn't mean the same will happen to this one though).
    Your post left me with some open questions:

What exactly do you mean by highly customizable? I don't really get this part as of now. Might be good to add further information (custom armor system for example tells me nothing about what your idea of customization is).

What is going to set this map apart from other AoS maps? You mentioned customizable systems and different Hive sections involved in the battle
    (I by the way, would prefer having the forums fight each other instead of something like North vs South Hive, as there is no such thing. If you go for the forums idea, you could have the terraining section fight the modeling section and give the heroes belonging to them abilities fitting to the theme (quick example: A terrainer hero has an ability that turns the surrounding terrain into water, which drowns nearby enemy units, a modeler has a skill that allows him to cycle through different weapons aka attachments which give him different combat styles, the most basic difference being ranged and melee combat) but apart from that, there is no real information given - and this is the most crucial part. There are enough "standard" AoS maps out there, another one isn't really needed, so you need to make this unique.

I'll definitely follow the development of this, you got me interested - but right now I'm a bit doubtful about whether this map is going to make it or not. Nonetheless, I wish you best of luck with your project (and hope that it is going to be finished).

6. Fussiler1

Fussiler1

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maybe you could name different kinds of spawns as social groups, like the Lore Lovers, the Fall of Draenei, the Jury of Awesomeness, etc?

7. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, it really depends on the community how they will help me creating this.
    Alone I won't be able to carry the burden through time to finish it.

However by highly customizable I mean for example a custom attack/armor system (for example, elemental TD).
    Secondary I would like to add customization of attacks. Meaning missiles are custom attacks made by scripts/triggers and which can be manipulated in many ways.
    Although the idea of giving "terraining", "modeling" abilities it will lack later on. We have a lot of terrainers, modelers and others out of here which can't have the same abilities. I would like to make them as unique as possible.
    Thanks for the idea though.
    Those names of Hive north, east, etc. would be examples, I know those don't sound right.

+ As I mentioned, I will update the post.
    It was a quick, rushy post which requires a big update soon enough.

Thanks for your interests in it.

That would be a good idea however if I'd need to do so it would only be logical adding users of that group only. That's not possible, we'll seek on!

And of course, everyone is welcome to help as long they support this project.
    Thanks!

8. redscores

redscores

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    If you want, I can join in ;).

9. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It would be awesome if you'd jump in.
    The more help that we get, the better it will be + a better chance of having a successful finished map :).

10. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    not sure if you would need my help, but if you need some model at any time you might just throw a request at me :p

11. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well models can make maps more awesome so I gladly accept your help.

12. Herian

Herian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Euh, so this is a nice looking map that is gonna have community members :p ?

13. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's the plan.
    Of course we'll add funny parts however the map will still stay professional throughout everything.

14. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    I could maybe help. I'm preparing for exams and shit, so I dunno how much I could actually help.

15. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've added you to the list.
    If you don't have the time, don't worry.
    We'll work on it where we can :).

Other note: I've updated the first post with all information.

16. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol, just an idea. Since you're going to have members of the community as heroes maybe you could use some of the heroes from the Hero Contest going on, where the participants are basically making themselves :D

17. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    inb4 "HAI CAN I B IN DIS MAP???" spam

18. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    HI.
    U CAN BE IN THIZ MAPZ AS(S) YELLOWED DRAGON.
    K thanks cu in game.

19. Septimus

Septimus

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I can probably help as map tester.

Maybe this map could use some boost.. for example, if your opponent heroes kill are 20% more than your kill..the unit would have 5% increase in movement speed.

it would be awesome if i am included in this map as a mad scientist :p

by the way, can you change the formation lane?

20. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    CAN U USE MAH SPELPAK?l