• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Workshop part of Galaxy Wiki Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Great news!
The Hive Workshop has become part of the Galaxy Wiki Network. This means the Hive now links to the Galaxy Wiki and it links back to Hive.
This Wiki contains vast amounts of knowledge regarding development for StarCraft II.
The idea is that all sites in this network share our knowledge in this single Wiki so we don't have to write the same tutorials over and over.
I hope this collaboration will be of huge value to all of us.

I hope you guys will welcome the Galaxy Wiki as a great addition to Hive.

Ralle

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
SEN, udmod, and hive are not tiny. Between them all there's something like 55000 members.
And the owner is already trying to boast that the partnership sites have 55000 members...
Which if you subtract our 47000 members shows how much he is relying on this site for leverage.

Everyone knows one should count active members only.

Level 4
Hm, this is great! Just one questionh: does it give all the information, I mean for like and trriger editor, and most immportantly data editor?

It doesn't have every single bit of information on every aspect of the editor, but it has fairly large amounts of info on all the imporant parts of the editor, and is constantly growing. If you find some information that's missing, ypu're welcome to add it, that's the whole point of a wiki!

DSG, I'm not the owner, and I was defending hive and the other sites when they were accused of being 'tiny'. I think we can agree that hive is not tiny.

Make sure someone from hive adds some information about hive to this page: http://www.galaxywiki.net/wiki/The_Hive_Workshop Maybe about who's in charge, a little history, and a banner?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I think we can agree that hive is not tiny.
As far as SC2 is concerned, it is. We get like 5 SC2 posts (not threads) a day on good days. It is basically like saying that because you have a facebook group which supports SC2 the entire population of facebook supports SC2 which is clearly not the case.

Number of total members does not provide a valid quantization on how large a site currently is. THW alone has destroyed over 20000 user accounts in the past which did not contribute anything (0 physical posts anywhere) to free up account name space.

Additionally you can get ghost sites which have 10000s of registered users but under 100 active users due to shrinking.

If you find some information that's missing, you're welcome to add it, that's the whole point of a wiki!
Next to the fact you need to create a user account with the wiki before you can add anything. Something most small wiki contributors are not willing to do. I am aware this same problem exists with the SC2mapster wiki for most people but its own members.

Level 2
Hey all, I'm the admin from Staredit.net and I'm really happy that you guys wanted to work with the wiki we've set up along with UDMod and SC2Mod. It is growing slowly, but I have no doubt it will be a great resource for anyone interested in SC2 mapmaking.

Next to the fact you need to create a user account with the wiki before you can add anything. Something most small wiki contributors are not willing to do. I am aware this same problem exists with the SC2mapster wiki for most people but its own members.
We actually didn't used to require registration to edit the articles, but we were getting sporadically spam-attacked like crazy and none of the normal anti-spam extensions were working to prevent it (captcha, adding fields that prevent posting or registration when any text is filled, etc.). Making it so that you had to register and be promoted was a last-resort measure, and we had to go with it. If some better technique comes up that would actually work, then I'd be all for removing the registration requirement.

And the owner is already trying to boast that the partnership sites have 55000 members...
Which if you subtract our 47000 members shows how much he is relying on this site for leverage.

Everyone knows one should count active members only.
Also, I just wanted to clarify a few things. The owner of GalaxyWiki.net isn't Jack, and I think when he posted that at SC2Mapster, he was probably frustrated with the responses we were getting over there. I think his point was that at one time The Hive was huge, and so was Staredit Network. These two sites, at the very least, were the best resources for their respective games. Now our numbers have dropped, which is understandable, but we're still the same communities. What we're trying to do with GalaxyWiki is literally just create a resource that all of us can link to that isn't tied to just one site. Of course we can all link to SC2Mapster as they have the best wiki around, but then we're forcing our members to join that community and post there instead. I'm sure the 5 posts a week here about SC2 are still appreciated by you guys. We get about that many a week at SEN as well, and I know I'm more than happy to see whatever SC2 activity we can get and help out with what I know. We do have good intentions with GalaxyWiki, I promise.

Last edited:
Level 15
Number of total members does not provide a valid quantization on how large a site currently is. THW alone has destroyed over 20000 user accounts in the past which did not contribute anything (0 physical posts anywhere) to free up account name space.

And I think the fishbowl needs another cleaning. 509.5 pages of people without posts.

Level 24
Cheers now we only need to coperate with wowwiki and we'll get a vast amounth of members ;) No but it's great I hope this will incrase the number of members alot.

Level 14
Cheers now we only need to coperate with wowwiki and we'll get a vast amounth of members ;) No but it's great I hope this will incrase the number of members alot.

No offense... but just no.

This is a Starcraft 2/Warcraft 3 Modding site not a WoW one.

~

Anyway. I already have an acc on Galaxy wiki. Glad to hear that Galaxy Wiki and the Hive are working together.

Level 19
Good Idea Ralle!

Depends.

Maybe we should get our own for Wc3 and Hive.

Sounds great to me:)
That way, we'll have a balance for the different players of the Blizzard/Other games.

PS: Hehe, too bad Diablo doesn't have an editor.

Level 22
With war3 what could be useful is just keep the already made tutorials in 1 place such as wiki page because there is enough people who did enough good job to explain things in details and there is no need to write things over again. With sc2, explaining every editor field is needed and in wiki that is a good idea.

But I don't see how this helps how little this place is used for sc2, ralle.

Last edited:
Level 19
I see Hive as more on the Warcraft III side than any other, but nonetheless it's good to buff both areas, and maybe some other areas (In terms of Blizzard Games/Lore/Other Interests) as well.

Level 7
^Humanity is lazy, tis' true
Great idea but I don't see it really taking off without account integration of some sort - I mean few enough people post sc2 tutorials "here" let alone on that wiki

I wouldnt count on account integration as they would have to integrate all the other sites they are affiliated with. Maybe they can do Email integration? But other than that, thats as far as it will go for registrations. From there you will have to physically register and go through the whole process.

But I think email integration would be the best approach. (Gmail, Yahoo, MSN etc.)

Level 2
Im sure the problem is most people can not be bothered creating a separate account just to edit a wiki.
I addressed this in an earlier post. Again, if we had a more effective way to prevent spambots on that wiki, then there would be no need to register an account. Before making registration mandatory, the spambots were making about 10-20 pages daily, as well as editing existing ones, and uploading images. It seemed easier to make someone spend a minute creating an account for it than deleting all the articles and files every day.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is there not some international list of known spamming IPs that you could get the server to block? I think that is how wikipedia deals with spam. Also were they all the same source (at once or day after day) as if there was a pettern you could try specific IP blocks. Maybe consider some form of spam detection which detects when changes made are adlike and automatically reverts them.

Level 2
Is there not some international list of known spamming IPs that you could get the server to block? I think that is how wikipedia deals with spam. Also were they all the same source (at once or day after day) as if there was a pettern you could try specific IP blocks. Maybe consider some form of spam detection which detects when changes made are adlike and automatically reverts them.
I think I remember seeing a MediaWiki extension that blocked IPs from that list but there was some issue with it not working anymore or something. I can look for it again or try to find out if someone had fixed it.

The spam attacks were very sporadic in that they would appear a couple times a day for a few days, then stop, then appear maybe a week later. Sometimes the attacks were to just upload images, some created tons of new articles advertising all sorts of crap, and then some edited existing pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.