• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

High Resolution Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally wanted to make a whole set of maps with Born2Modificate's pack, but gave up on it.

Here is the fist one. Its a farmland area at dusk-ish time, with a city separated into sections based on class: The first level is shops and what not, second is nobles and the third is the royal house.

Please post what you think.
-------------------------------
Here is a dl for the map:
Map1
Map2

Attachments

• Highrez2.jpg
    Highrez2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 753
  • Highrez3.jpg
    Highrez3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 708
  • Highrez4.jpg
    Highrez4.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 694
  • Highrez5.jpg
    Highrez5.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 633
  • Highrez1.jpg
    Highrez1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 779
  • highrez9.jpg
    highrez9.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 576
  • highrez10.jpg
    highrez10.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 514
  • highrez8.jpg
    highrez8.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 517
  • Highrez7.jpg
    Highrez7.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 501
  • Highrez6.jpg
    Highrez6.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 553
  • highrez11.jpg
    highrez11.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 515
  • highrez12.jpg
    highrez12.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
Level 24
I like it, although it looks a bit to flat in some places. Its got good detail, but I think it would look better with some different types of grass/shrubs in the forest screens. Also in the 4th last picture, there is a black space between the ground and the sky, which does not look very good. Then in the 4th screen I don't think there is a sky.

Level 28
Well, I don't think it is TOO flat... It is a little flat.
But its OK. The only thing is the paved paths. They're too correct, artificial. A real stone path in a farmland isn't too linear, it is a little broken, if you understand me. You can add shrubs at the borders and grass tiles.

The terrain is excellent. I liked th way you used the shrubs.

Level 34
Not bad. The forest needs work.

High-res just isn't my cup of tea though.

Last edited:
Level 25
Terrain looks good. Some flaws with tree variation and other things as well. The first screenshot was taken too close to another model and clips through a tree: you can see the leaves in the upper left area of the shot.

Also, why is that river so shallow? A waterfall like that would surely be filling a deeper river than that; and waterfalls, even that big, don't feed into streams.
~Craka_J

Level 5
The fog could be more dense. Its a little heavy for a conferious forest. Plus, aren't conferious trees supposed to grown in mountains, or places where cold weather is dominant or persistant? This doesn't look cold, but the fog makes up for it! Which fog did you used by the way? Are you uploading the maps? Im somewhat confused on that part.

Level 5
The farmland terrain is lacking. I do like how you raised the terrain with the crops/leaves tile, but still the piles of wood near an anvil? Thats out of place!
Those logs could catch on fire. Screen 8 and 11 are wonderful. In screen 8 the models look cool but mostly the background terrain. (inks for the models please.)

Coniferous forest looks wonderful. However arent coniferous trees supposed to grow in cold regions, where cold weather is dominant or persistant? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiga

Anyways it looks great, the fog is heavy enough to give it a chilly feeling to the forest so I guess you did good by those standards.

but still the piles of wood near an anvil? Thats out of place! Those logs could catch on fire.

Those are for stoking the fire in the furnace.

However arent coniferous trees supposed to grow in cold regions, where cold weather is dominant or persistant?

Thats completely irrelevant, I live in San Diego and I have two coniferous(Pine) trees in my back yard.

And about the file size, 50MB is the size if you don't even add anything. The farmland map is over 65MB.

Level 21
The reason we call them high res models is because the textures don't look cartoonish, and are overall of a higher resolution than the average wc3 texture (I think B2M mainly uses 512² while wc3 uses 256²). Can be wrong though.

Nowadays however, 512² isn't considered "high res" anymore, next gen games will probably use 2048²...
Yet, the main reason we call them high res is because they look high res compared to the original textures. It's the same as comparing WoW models with wc3 models. I think a WoW model averages at 5K triangles, which is nothing, but with 500 triangles on a footman model, a WoW model is 10 times as detailed, which is why we call them high poly...

Level 4
I originally wanted to make a whole set of maps with Born2Modificate's pack, but gave up on it.

Here is the fist one. Its a farmland area at dusk-ish time, with a city separated into sections based on class: The first level is shops and what not, second is nobles and the third is the royal house.

Ill post the map as well, so you can explore it. :wink:

Please post what you think.

EDIT: hmm its not uploading...
good medieval setting, like it

Level 2
maybe you can try post it at mediafire or something?? cause.... I LOVE IT!!!!! BRILLIANT!!!! GREAT!!!! PWNING EVERYTHING!!!! :wthumbsup::wthumbsup::wthumbsup::wthumbsup: :wthumbsup::wthumbsup::wthumbsup::wthumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
Screen 4, the rock wall doesn't fit. Now, maybe, if you lowered some of the wall into the ground, creating some heigth diversity, and made it less straight while still adding shrubbery and grass, then it would awsome. Just a suggestion...

Level 18
2 things...

where did you get the high resolution uints in Screenie 8 ! :DDD

and second thing, i think if you make your map into a campagin file ( a one map campaign :p) then ur able to upload it here... im not sure thought, i never tried...

i like the forest pics u took on the second page :D veryy nice, it inspires me . + rep.

Level 10
well i must say,thins is not realy a good terrain ( only this models are good ) there is no epicness at all...bad texture variation...bad usage of high-low ground...bad sky and its just "cold" (Don´t touched my sense)

you could do more with such models..

Overall I would give 4/10 ->2/5

Status
Not open for further replies.