• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Heroes Tale

What do you think of the project map itself? (NO POLL TROLLING PLEASE)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
New screenshots, yes, 2 new screenshots showing the extension areas. I am pretty much out of ideas on what to add more that is different with the usual things I put on the terrain: grass, rocks, flowers, mushrooms, stump hollow, and logs. If anyone could help me think of some more things to put in this one, it would be appreciated.

I am also aware of the terrain's flatness but to to repeat, everything is like that in the moment, it will be dealt with when I finish the Forest Terrain.

Attachments

• Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 10 Remake.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 10 Remake.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 11 Remake.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 11 Remake.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 124
Level 28
Well lets just take a sample on a terrain I'm currently working. So the main theme of the terrain is forest but a forest with only just trees and rocks is just boring so putting something that will attract the player like a temple or other structure for example can avoid your terrain to be monotone.

Sample:
1.jpg

P.S.

Have no intention telling what the terrain is for.

Level 30
Guys, sorry for the no new updates but I will be working nw on the terrain for the Lair of the Magical Goddess and I need all your help. I can see that the standard model for the High Elven Farm won't fit for the HQ of the terrain so any suggestions on what model should I change these to?

Level 20
So the main theme of the terrain is forest but a forest with only just trees and rocks is just boring so putting something that will attract the player like a temple or other structure for example can avoid your terrain to be monotone.
how about adding a small river that's only pass-able(?) through a bridge?
or perhaps some chopped down trees to break the monotone?

Level 30
2 new Screenshots here showing the Lair of the Magical Goddess within the Forest. I also included the units their to better show off the place. It would be pretty empty without the units. By the way, I dont find the naboo that fitting so I did not use them but instead the original ones which I think fits still.

I also need a fence or some kind of walls for this village that'll fit the town. I am open for ideas and better if you can link me one.

Attachments

• Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 12 Remake.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 12 Remake.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 13 Remake.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 13 Remake.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 97
Level 30
If I remember it right, there are some high elves building on wc3c. Why not try that?

About the terrain, its still empty, flat and the flower spamming looks unnatural.

The flatness problem will be solved later on so not much of a problem with that and I shall reduce the flowers to avoid spamming. It's just that I cant find something more that can fit on the terrain (or maybe I am just too lazy to search) so I just did spammed what can be putted into it.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
The flatness problem will be solved later on so not much of a problem with that and I shall reduce the flowers to avoid spamming. It's just that I cant find something more that can fit on the terrain (or maybe I am just too lazy to search) so I just did spammed what can be putted into it.

Maybe I can help you out, if u can send me the map with natural imports so I can see what you can do with the imported environment models and stuff.

Level 6
Well a good terrain you got there...

Some suggestion
- Add small numbers of grass on the road and some very tiny rocks.. because i think its weird that the road does not have any grass (just don't spam) and make the grass and tiny rocks largely separated. Well if you have seen some forest roads have a small numbers of grass and stones on the way..

Oh my 1000th post

Level 28
I remember the times when a spam was considered a good terrain as long as it is not empty, now people demand everything much more strictly.

Not really, its still depends on your technique on spamming doodads. I just made a 23x22(32x32) map with 2111 doodads yesterday and it went pretty good even though its just a spam fest.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 95
Level 28
Are you sure? On a friend computer after he tried a map of 192x192 with 10.541 doodads the game started to lag :(

Of coarse I'm sure. I'd been making playable terrains for years. My current record is a 128x128 with 18k doodads and barely lags at all(but maybe because its just a terrain and no triggers). *headdesk*

But just for the record LoC is around 192x192 with 100,000 thousand doodads but its still playable and barely lag at all. It really depends on the terrainer since there are many factors that can make your world editor lags (e.g. high particle models and high poly models and we're not even talking about triggers, codes and the capabilities of the machine yet.)

Getting off-topic now?

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Spamming or a using a few doodads only does not matter as long as the thing is balanced and does not hit a dagger in your eye and looks pretty.

For example the image that SonofJay posted it hits the dagger, since on the road there is 0 doodads and the edge is way too sharp and after that the terrain is 100% covered in doodads.

Level 28
Spamming or a using a few doodads only does not matter as long as the thing is balanced and does not hit a dagger in your eye and looks pretty.

For example the image that SonofJay posted it hits the dagger, since on the road there is 0 doodads and the edge is way too sharp and after that the terrain is 100% covered in doodads.

Did it not hit you that its pretty weird for someone who is a sucker on details to leave such obvious flaw on his terrain for no reason?

Hidden beause this is simply thread derailing.
In-game details:
Terrain is made for: A mobile themed games where you click spiders that is running around the center area for points. My entry for blizzmod's contest.

SpiderSmash.jpg

I really can't spam the middle part for that reason. Terrain and gameplay is connected.

Level 30
Guys, some news. I do not know if I said this but we are remaking the terrain and I know all of you know that but that also means we are to use new custom resources and also out with the old ones so I planned to fully remake everything but still on the next releasing of the map, it will still be considered as v0.2 ALPHA.

About the first post, I have reset the Progress to the current ones now and also removed all of the old screenshots and I mean all of the old's traces.

I hope this is not some issue. I did this to start something fresh. About its progress, there is absolutely none due to school days and I am starting to work now. I might release a screenshot maybe later or tomorrow!

EDIT: Anyways, I am still accepting ideas for a wall or fence to use for the Lair of the Magical Goddess.

Level 31
You have been developing this project for a year, yet you delete everything and start over by basically having no progress only because you wanted something fresh. I do not try to judge you or something, but I do not support this decision. If I were you, I'd firstly finish this project and start another one OR add that freshness to an already existing map during its development. Because now it is almost equal to a project abandoning and starting another, only difference would be you kept the thread and a name.

Level 28
I swear that every one last damn map that I worked on (finished and not) since you made this thread made more considerable progress than this project and I don't even work on the world editor everyday.

Are you really working on this? Cause you just show us terrain screenshot every week or two that can be done within a few minutes.

Level 6
Are you really working on this? Cause you just show us terrain screenshot every week or two that can be done within a few minutes.

Hell_Master is a helpful person, best map reviewer ever.. active on hive.. that's why i am not surprised on the progress since of his work on hive and on school...

Well its just that i am surprised when i reread the description and you have just very small progress.

And hell_master will you restart the terrain?.. i mean did i misunderstand something?.. you made a progress in the terrain.

Level 28
That some puny excuses you gave there. This thread is 1+ year old and had gather 780+ comments and still going up. As a follower I should be expecting a final release by now and not an announcement about the project getting restarted from almost scratch.

I know this is just a hobby but this project already gathered so much attention for him to just say "Hey guys, I'm restarting the map." after 1+ years of development.

He's fully remaking the terrain that isn't that much to begin with but already took him so long to develop and right now he's aiming for more. So what now? Do we have to wait for another year for an Alpha? Awesome. I'm oh so optimistic on this project.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Hell_Master is a helpful person, best map reviewer ever.. active on hive.. that's why i am not surprised on the progress since of his work on hive and on school...

they do not question what do does on the hive. They are questioning his decision to restart the whole project.

I guess we need to wait 5 years give or take if you continue at this pace

As for me, everything was like normal, and a year passed which seemed like a month. Well, I do realize that the progress is pretty slow. Dude, if you are motivated, you can finish this. If you aren't, as neo_sluf said in a VM(sorry, my stalking), start another project and pursue what you truly want - what you envision.

You cannot go living a life that's not yours, or doing things you don't want to.

If you're afraid of the people wanting some progress when you made none(maybe because you don't have motivation), don't be. Besides, it's your life, not theirs. You just have to be true to yourself, and others, that you don't want to continue anymore.

^Just an if though. If it's otherwise, please tell so. Because, as SoJ said, this project has garnered so much attention and many people are looking forward to it being released.

Level 30
School has been making me busy and knowing I have many responsibilties there due to activities coming next week.

I will be remaking this and I will see this being finished no matter how long it will be.

@Garodar
Thank you for the compliments there.

Last edited:
Level 30
At first, I want to remake the terrain because of demands that the old terrain was bad. So I planned to remade it first though not a total remake but I cannot work on it well and I had to make a great choice If I had to remake the terrain and of course starting a new map. So I did, I change the form of the terrain and realized that the old triggers wont work anymore because of the new terrain unless if I would have to CnP, thousands of triggers, regions and stuff but I still doubt it and wont work.

So here we are. Though, suddenly I got some motivation boost of some sort so new screenshots here but in early state yet and no creeps as always of some sort. I try to finish first the forest's terrain before putting anything else such as enemies, allies (except for the Elves in the village because I needed them for something), and such...

By the way, so any suggestions for the wall or fence to use in the Lair of the Magical Goddess? Anyone?

Attachments

• Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 14 Remake.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 14 Remake.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 15 Remake.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 15 Remake.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 79
Level 28
Your terraining technique is still the same as the old one hence it suffers the same mistakes. Empty environment, flat ground, unnatural spamming of flowers, bad doodad placement. (Please stop replying "Terrain is not finish" cause you always do that when I comment on what you show to us.)

I advice you to not use that tile technique because its commonly look better for terrains with smooth style/technique that doesn't suffer for a lot of common terrain flaws. Currently you still fall from the Warcraftish look and the rough tiles will look a lot better.

Oh and would you mind showing images from higher camera view than the close one in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.