• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Heroes Tale

What do you think of the project map itself? (NO POLL TROLLING PLEASE)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Later on, I'll try to release the ALPHA 0.1 but sadly without an AI script for bosses to use their spells due to that it'll take me much more time to do that. This is not a promise but a possibility.

I am now testing the game and fixing the bugs I'll found. That's about it, best of luck!

Level 30
Official Release of Heroes Tale ALPHA 0.1

The official Release of ALPHA 0.1 (Reworked):
I am very happy to present you the v0.1 ALPHA of Heroes' Tale. The v0.1 ALPHA's game is up to the part in defeating Von Leo. I worked this out to seek your feedback so any kinds of feedback and criticism are accepted but not to the point of insulting or flaming.

Notes:
  • On the quest at gathering three Magical Stones, make sure the Pile of Magical Stones and your Sword item is both at the same inventory (either both in the Inventory or Backpack). It might cause some serious bugs if not.
  • It would be hard on engaging at many enemies without preparing much so always stay at the dirt path to avoid enemies but there are some that are in the path itself so be prepared still.
  • If you are out of life or mana, you can either go to Blacksmith Kan or Magical Goddess, Claire to heal hit points and mana or just either use your potions if you have available stocks in your inventory or backpack.

To Be Added (For next updates):
  • AI script for bosses (Furbolg Ursa Warrior and Von Leo). They will cast spells and ultimate spells when reached a percentage of their life and etc.
  • The reworked terrain for the first Dungeon and will be renamed to Cavern of Horrors.
  • Bug fixes depending on the reports I will get from you supporters regarding the map.

To repeat, feedbacks and criticism are appreciated. Good day!

Attachments

• Heroes Tale.w3x
    11.6 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Level 30
Thank you guys for the support. Please give me some feedbacks for I really need them. I don't know yet if there are some parts that are not working so this is where you all come in to help me find them and also to enjoy yourselves.

Level 31
Here are some technical points from my point of view.

1. Map description could tell more what map is about.
2. There was open player selection and it wasn't locked. I suppose there is no AI and it is single player, so I suggest you locking those.
3. At start camera had a fading timer, it should be set to 0 seconds so that it would be instant instead of seeing that needless fade-out.
4. Once I tried entering the house, I couldn't start it working. I went through walls inside the house and still nothing until I stepped to the left side of house and cinematic started, yet during cinematic hero was not teleported into the house area. Then I realised I had to right-click on the circle, but it is really hard to select it.
5. Quest says 3 stones are needed for the quest and later on it says 2 are needed.
6. Those raccoons are gigantic, hehe.
7. Also a small sight radius is quite annoying especially when the night and day shifts so rapidly.
8. What that huge magical fountain does? It doesn't seem to regenerate anything.
9. Terrain at the edge of the game in some spots are not developed leaving just a plain grass. Also terrain could be develeped at least a bit that is close to the water and the passage through the river lacks doodads, it has none to be exact.
10. When Von Leo stomped, camera shake continued later on and during the entire fight.
11. Von Leo showed no resistance, it was extremely weak and dealt no considerable harm, I just had to wait until it is slashed to death.
12. Quest was not set to completed after defeating Von Leo.
13. Sapphires doesn't seem to have a purpose yet or at least I did not discover one.

Overally, I didn't really see much difference in this remake, you really following it up like it was before remaking from zero. What to advise, cinematics could be improved with some additional cameras, that would add to the cake. To make game more interactive, there could be at least one more additional spell or at least a spell that would require some actions, because right now I just push button and wait. Very little of items, I just had to buy another sword and I dealt a decent amount of damage. Some grammar mistakes are present, but it can be easily fixed just by checking the text. To me the text was rather simple and playful in a bad way, but this is subjective, so no need to take it seriously considering you aimed to create this kind of atmosphere. Oh and I did no optional quest and I was able to finish it with ease, so I suggest you to harden it up so that optional quests would be an essential plus to the game. Keep on going.

Level 30
The bosses including Von Leo actually has a spell set on them but I was unable to create a script yet to make them cast their spell. It would actually be a little harder with the scripts.

1. Will be fixed
2. Will be fixed.
3. Fixed, hopefully
4. Fixed, hopefully as well.
5. Fixed, I realized I left a text there that displays 2.
7. Will be fixed.
6. Fixed, set the scaling size from 1.5 to 1.25.
8. Fixed.
9. Will be fixed
10. Changed and fixed.
11. Just wait for the AI scripts. Most of his spells actually deals so much damage that you will suffer a bit. Will be fixed.
12. Fixed, made the reward 2 Legendary items which will be useful.
13. None yet except for making money. It will be useful on the upcoming versions but can't say exactly what version. Will be fixed.

Thanks for the feedback and I wouldn't realize my mistake and even those quite simple without some great aid from you, APproject. I thought you really lost faith on my project due to the constant changes in the project which is disappointing but you beared with me and I thank you!

Last edited:
Level 31
I just thought raccoons were smaller, now it looks quite big in comparison with hero, but that's how I see it only.

I lost no faith, I always keep following this thread as it is subscribed and I am eager to see what else can you show.

I noticed you struggle with the motivation greatly, so I want to tell you what keeps me motivated on making maps, because I didn't see anyone else coming up with this. This is subjetive and that is exactly what motivates me. I am motivated because World Editor provide me an opportunity to CREATE. I love to create, I enjoy developing things and coming up with ideas, I hold Warcraft 3 as a tool to express my desire to create art of my own and that is basically 90% of what keeps me motivated sticking to the project. Of course I have my ups and downs, it depends. Sometimes I feel fired up on creating, thinking about it, expressing ideas and realizing them on here. That's how it works for me and I hope you can find something in this for yourself not to feel pressured, but enjoy creating.

Level 30
Some updates! Here are 2 terrain screenshots with different views showing a cave within the forest. It is actually a remake of the cavern in the old HT and is now renamed as I've said to Cavern of Horrors.

And a spoiler in it, the cave as you've all known is filled with Spider monsters and a boss, the Broodmother but the layout of the cave's inside in the reworked version will be something different than the old one, I promise.

Attachments

• Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 17 Remake.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 17 Remake.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 18 Remake.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 18 Remake.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 107
1.What I wanted to say APproject already told that. Anyway the tremor thing is weird during the Von Leo encounter.
2.You could make the intro skippeable. I already know the intro.
3.And find a better Hero Icon for Angus, the Paladin one doesn't fit him.
4.Also regarding the game camera, you could add a command like -far, -medium so that I can see better through those up-to-scale doodads.
5.Also there's a bug after I enter The godess area. After I speak with her and head to the Von Leo area when I leave past the guards, the same intro during my first entering to the godess plays again. It happens only once.

In some places the tile variation is chaotic while in others it's monotone. You might want to fix that. Overall the forest area is pleasant but in the Von Leo area it could be a little more corrupted you know, that would give the players the feeling that the area is ACTUALLY invaded!
------------------
Also the blacksmith indoor has some disconnected walls, tell your terrainers to fix that please!
It's a bit empty in the center btw.
------------------
Now as for this cave entrance you're showing us, it looks too much like an obelisk-pyramid-ish structure made out of rocks and stones. Make it more natural, the entrance could be made out of actual rocks not simply rock arches you know!
------------------
Please replace those cityscape post lanterns to Dalaran magical lanterns. It would fit better the magical theme of the godess realm. The current post lanterns are out of place there as I see!
------------------
Anyway apart from these little observations, I hope you'll be able to continue working on it and make it great. Good luck Hell_Master.

Last edited:
Level 5
Well, I played it.

What I liked:
1. The Stat-Point System is awesome. Can't wait to see the longterm outcome of my decisions :)
2. The Skins of pretty much everything but the hero (which at least should loose the book at his hips to not remind of a Paladin), especially the guardians were new to me.
3. The Items, they're shiny
4. the notion of learning skills from other Characters is also very appealing

What I didn't like:
1. No respawn mechanic? Seriously? xD Just died to find out what happens then... just nothing... the map doesn't even end.
2. Maybe I'm just impatiant but the initial movement speed felt a little to slow.
3. How would I destroy A Crystal of the size of a 3 humans and an elefant and not get anything? Really think the drop of Crystals should be un-randomized.
4. I shouldn't be able to sell my magical sword, at least not in this state. I mean you introduced the concept of enchanting your weapon, so maybe not include different weapons. at least with every future character also having a weapon that can be upgraded but not sold or put down. Though thats just an idea, of course you can have different weapons and still have the option of enchanting them.

Bugs:

Oh boy... where do I begin.
1. The inventory System is bugged. I noticed that because I laid something down on the ground and took it then in my backpack. My boots where in my backpack for a moment but now everytime I switch to backpack the boots are there again and left my initial inventory. Also If I lay something on the ground that was in either inventorys and go far far away, when I switch back to the inventory where it was it reappears and disappears from the ground. When My inventory is full in the backpack where the item reappears then it doesn't pop up anywhere, it's just gone.
2. For some reason the Completion-Dialog of the mission about killing 10 lesser and 5 berserker demons started when I wasn't even near the ElvenTown about 3 minutes after I killed the last necessary Demon. Also because I sneaked by the guard the Dialog about "If the goddes wants to see you you must be... something" appeared after this mission was already completed. Make the guard more watchful I guess.
3. The "Pile of Saphires" I gathered for the Blacksmiths Sidequest remained in my Inventory after I finished it.
4. The Big Furbolg I killed twice and was rewarded twice (with 3 different Items, the ring I got 2 times) after that he stopped rewarding me and I wonder if that is on purpose.
5. I sold the other ring and some other stuff and had 800 gold. I bought a pair of boots and wanted to buy another one, but my gold was on 70.

Other things:
1. The Dialog is strange to say the least. Also the people talking tend to say things they wouldn't say in coherence to the dialog provided (And I'm not talking about the thoughts that Angus has). They also say things that are opposite of what they just said while I don't even know why they wanted to say it a second time. The Idea of the Dialog seems to be very original, I'm just not sure what to think of it yet.
2. When I entered BlackSmiths house first time, Angus went out the portal on the spot. The Dialog was strange since Angus wasn't even in the room.
3. With some cutscenes the camera wasn't set to where the people talk.

Thoughts:
1. Since you got Swords, Boots, Helmets, Rings, Armors, I'd like to see the main inventory not being able to hold more than one of each except rings. The Backpack of course should remain as "put in whatever". Using potions out of backpack would also be nice. Also I'd like if the Equipment bonuses of the first inventory apply ignoring the switch to backpack.
2. I don't know why I would bother buying a ring that gives +1 armor for 100 if I can have a shield that gives +2 for 120. Of course if I can have only one of each then again that would be a different story.
3. The Dialog didn't seem to have too much typos but some things they said to oneanother didn't make much sense to me though I knew what they *wanted* to say.
4. I don't know what kind of RPG this will be and if it will be an RPG-Campaign or not. Respawnable enemies are something that feels more like made for MMORPG or a MultiplayerRPG-Map

The concept is awesome, its at its beginning and it'll be sure alot of work before its finished but I'm already excited.

See you around

Krolan
The Twisted

Level 30
Great feedback most especially yours, Krolan, helpful as always, and thanks for those bug reports, it looks like many are experiencing this bug said on the no. 5 of Heinvers.

And some unusual bugs from Krolan, looks like you really exploited much bugs.

feedback

Some of my points like bugged inventroy system were already mentioned so I wont repeat them.

In start location you should add check pathing blockers or anything else to prevent walking inside the big tree or in general there behind. There is a leak.^^
attachment.php
If you enter the house, the guy (Kan) faces Angus, but seems like Angus doesnt like him very much because he doesnt look at him. :(

In the house time of day should be locked. It's not realistic that its getting darker/brighter inside a house.

I was just entering the base of night elves and killed almost all. They didnt seem to care that they got eliminated by me... even their leader. ;)

Also while talking with their guards, my hero was attacked by random creeps ... I think this should not happen.

I dont like you can go with mouse all over the map and some regions are visible. Or there should be a map bounds which is dynamic, depending of your current location, or places should only be visible if you are there.

If you enter/leave the house, cam should go with the hero.

Item stack system is not good at it's current state. Furthermore you should be able to stack/split items manually. If you need help, herby I offer my help.

Your quest trigger for blacksmith is buggy. What happened to me:
I had 2 magical stones in my normal inventory + 2 stones in my bag. 3 Should be enough, but it didnt count. So I stacked them, so I got 4 magical stones.
But now, it didnt work, too. I need exactly 3 stones!^^ Please fix this.

After that I of course dropped this 4-charge item and started again to search for 3 stones.^^
After I got 3 I achieved "Pile of magical stones" and a quest message appeared to return to black smith.
So I was at blick smith again, but nothing happened..

At Str/Agi/Int is written "gaining more demage if primary attribite". But only Str is primary atribute, so why write it in all three?
Also in Agi is written more "movement speed" which would be cool maybe, but is not true as far I could see.

Terrain looks good to me. Good working with tiles. Sometimes too much trees spammed at one location for me.

Here my review is finished for now. I think it might have potential to be a good rpg, but there is still along way of hard work to it.

P.S: Sorry, didnt test next quests because as I said it was bugged with black smith for me. :/

But if you need help with your item stacking/splitting or with your bag system you can ask me. :csmile:

Attachments

• Enter tree.png
    Enter tree.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 327
Level 30
Thank you everyone for the feedback most likely Krolan for the great review and IcemanBo for those reports and for something he offered up into my map. We will know...

So, guys, I would just like to share on how the map is going, we can say it's in a steady progress. IcemanBo offered me an advance backpack system with lot of included features which is now in the game and also, I was able to contact Felipe (finally) for the terrain work on the dungeon, Cavern of Horrors layout. He is busy but hopefully, I am really hoping that he can finish even a bit of a layout so I can just continue it and get on to work for to be honest, I'm quite excited on touching HT again.

Small updates but it really makes me happy that there are still supporters out there.

Level 30
@Hazzry
Quite a bit early to ask that.

@Thread
Since my terrainer, Felipe Gormadoc is still finding time for the terraining job, sadly, some screenshots would take time. While me, I cannot work fully on the map but only fix some triggers and etc. making them much more leakless and better then copy pasting them to the map that Felipe would hopefully he will send to me soon.

To sum it all up, quite limited on what to do because Felipe has the map.

Level 23
Hey, good thing you posted. I almost forgot that I promised a feedback for your map! xD

Anyway, played for a few minutes and got some feedback for you. I didn't read the feedback given by the users above so please understand if I mention something that has already been mentioned by them. :)

1.) When the Angus enters the house and that dwarf guy talks to him, Angus doesn't face him at all. It's like Angus, our self-proclaimed adventurer, is a pretty rude guest. ^^

You probably want to fix that so that our hero doesn't look bad.

2.)If those player slots in the lobby are not meant to be filled, you should fill these empty slots with computer players and lock these slots.
222907-albums6224-picture81490.png
3.) I think it would be better if you lock the camera on Angus so that the player will not be able to see the rest of the map. Especially that unexplored areas are partially visible.

4.) You can carry more than three magical stones without finishing the quest by placing 2 on your backpack and another 2 in your inventory. You should consider items in the backpack whenever you update your quest. You can't complete the quest too if you're carrying more than three magical stones.

5.) I don't like the fact that the bonuses from items in your inventory gets removed if you open your bag. The bonuses should stay since the bag doesn't close automatically when your do something else.

6.)Since you can't really change your primary attribute, this sentence: "Gains a permanent damage if primary attribute" should be removed from the tooltips of the Agility and Intelligence stats.
222907-albums6224-picture81491.png
7.) Even though I still haven't collected any magical stones, the quest already states that I only have to collect 2 more magical stones. You should really fix that.

8.) Is it just me or is the custom UI not showing at all?
222907-albums6224-picture81492.png
9.) You should show a notification that the quest has been updated everytime the player has collected a magical stone so that he will know he's doing the right thing.

10.) You should probably trigger the entrance to the house instead of using an edited way gate because it's making a cinematic bug.

11.) There are times that cinematics bug because of the way gate thing mentioned above.
It's a 14 minute replay so you should speed it up a little. I was kinda slow on playing this thing because I was eating my dinner. (Yes, eating my dinner while playing WarCraft.. xD)
The bug can be see at the last parts of the replay.
12.) I just noticed but.. shouldn't that be Hero's Tale instead of Heroes' Tale? Since you are talking about just one hero here. :/ ......... (Grammar Nazi Issue)
222907-albums6224-picture81493.png

13.) A lot of grammar mistakes and spelling errors but it can be tolerated.

That's all for now. You're doing a good job in your map, but I feel like you're taking too much time (About or more than a year already) to make something this buggy. ^^'

Last edited:
Level 30
You asked for feedback and you got some. It's not meant to pressure you so don't have to be pressured.

Not being pressured by the comments but to the work to clear that up, they are two different things. And yes, maybe let's just say I have some time that I got too lazy but I'll fix those, it's for the map's great future anyway and it's my goal to submit this into the sections someday.

Level 30
From my VM just now (6/9/14)
I'm back with a Warcraft III again because of me finding it on my dad's CD cabinet. But I would like to point out something regarding my Heroes Tale project which would probably give me hate and everything seeing how it grew little by little to most users there that followed the project.

I am not continuing it anymore due to the fact that the reason I actually got inactive here is because of lost of Warcraft III interest (but I suddenly got some interest again but sadly, not for my project which consumes time and to be honest, I am prioritizing my studies as of now). I might try to do some projects again though not as big as this one which I probably learned that striving for a great project that I cannot even comprehend at times will just make me fail in the end, same goes for Last Stand Remake, I'm cancelling it too.

Really sad to here but I've really lost it and to be honest, I dont want to work anymore on something that I have already lost interest which is the truth.

Thanks for those people that supported until now but I guess it's a farewell for this project.

Level 5
I'd rather see you do something you got passion for. You seem to be a little as stubborn as I tend to be when it comes to things you began. You keep doing it not because you enjoy it but because you started and usually don't end before it's finished. I think your choice here is wise. Such a huge project would need more people working on it anyway.

I wish you great success with you studies and any other project you might be working on, now and in the future.

Level 30
Guys, I will still do continue modding (not that active modder though but definitely making progress) and even start another project but definitely not now for the project part. If I will indeed make a new project, I will make sure it's in my thing to do it successfully and make sure that I made some great or big progress already before posting a development thread such as this. I have noticing that this is what I seem to lack, the planning part and as Krolan, I'm quite stubborn.

And since I'm still a mod, I would have to close the thread now. Thanks for all the support in the project and most likely to AL0NE which I feel I made a great sin to him by wasting all his works so I would like to give the greatest thanks to him.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.