• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Hero Contest #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

hero.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

demon.jpg

Hellbourne
Contestants must create a horrifying demonic hero with 6 different abilities.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 4mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net. Having it under 2mb is recommended.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• bowser499
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Concept
How interesting is the hero to play with?/10

Coding
Is the hero bug and lag free? How well was the coding executed?/15

Synergy
How well do the abilities work with each other? Do they fit with the theme of the hero?/20

Balance
How balanced the hero is? Is it extremely weak to own or extremely hard to face?/25

Aesthetics
How good-looking the hero is? How well their appearance is fitting with the icons? Are the tooltips self-explanatory?/10
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on ??? and conclude on ???, GMT

Level 30
that's a cool theme, but what's with the 6 abilities? wouldn't be fair if its just 4? then the additional spells could be a link to the 4 spells

example: when the hero learns an ability, that ability will have 2 icons pop out when learned like Nevermore in DotA

Level 9
I assume they will set a sample map where you need to implant him, to make sure people don't make clever use of terrain to make sure the hero abilities work, as they are too terrain-specific.

But I must also ask-why 6 abilities?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
After taking an extensive look at the Hive's illustrious previous contests, I have to submit that the theme really needs to be widened greatly for the creation of heroes (at least, where custom models come into play). Ideas like "demonic", "elemental" and "curses" are great, but more for spell contests IMO.

When it comes to heroes, you will run the risk of just a bunch of cookie-cutter hero ideas with a few standouts, and ultimately not much added to the site as a whole (I mean seriously, how many times do you think a 'big flaming red pentagram' will happen if this contest goes live? :p)

Might I suggest one of two contest ideas that will not only allow for useful bounds, but great creativity and ultimately a lot of usefulness to the site?

Simply Additions. Melee and Tavern.

On one hand, you have a contest to "add a hero to a chosen faction (HU, OR, UD, NE)". This can even be split up into either "add a hero of that race", or even widen it out to be "any race in the faction" (so Dwarves for Human, Trolls for Orc, or Nerubian for Undead, or Creatures for Night Elf; etc).
Even better, word the contest so people are encouraged to "fill a gap" in the race (sorta like how the Mountain Giant 'filled a gap' for the Night Elves in TFT, of heavy melee meat shield support). Night Elves missing a STR hero? Humans missing an AGI hero? Orcs missing an Orcish Chieftain? Undead missing a Ghostly Assassin? All of this and more!
(note: this sort of overlaps with my posts in another topic)

Alternatively, another great idea is "add Neutral hireable Heroes to the Tavern". LOADS of great races & ideas to pick from there. Plenty of space in the existing Tavern (and I know a great way to add more :p). You can even split this up into two; go with "add a hero of the same race as an existing hero" (i.e. Goblin, Forsaken, Naga, Elemental, etc), or "add a hero of a race that isn't in the Tavern" (i.e. Quillboar, Bandit, Faceless One, Troll (dark/forest/etc), etc).

And if it's a matter of "I'm a modeller/designer but don't have any cool ideas", well shucks. This is a great place for that. Heck, I alone have nearly dozens of ideas that would be not only cool, but useful.

~~~

TL;DR - What about "add a Melee/Tavern hero"? Four contests for the price of one.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I see to this need to be balanced, but balanced with what, heroes with melee maps or what. That is only thing what I do not understand. Should we change this hero with some else in altar or put it in tavern or just blank map?

Excellent question. Also a problem of an undefined contest theme; nothing to compare to for balance & creative purposes. After all, an AoS hero for DotA or some such is made much differently than a melee hero for Wc3:TFT.

Basically, with my contest idea(s), you'd be balancing and basing off of regular Wc3:TFT heroes and races. So no "4 DD abilities" or "4 passives" or "3 auras", no "Starfall remakes" (respect existing spells), try to balance things out race-wise (i.e. each race has about 1 major "Transformation" ability, etc), etc.

w8, I think the contest header is outdated... it says that map file size limit is 4mb for it to be playable in MP when its already been 8mb since a long time ago... not that serious though as the submissions are normally below 1mb...

and I think the previous HCs made it clear that its about a hero that is to be played at the normal type of wc3 gameplay (ladder, melee however you want to call it)...

I have no problem in having a hero with 4 DDs or 4 passives or all auras etc... it's all up to how you want the hero to blend with the target race... its up to the judges to decide how well or how not well they blend in...

as for the submission style, I think its good to have a standard map type, like maybe put the hero on an altar of your target race if you want it to be race specific or put it in tavern if its a neutral type hero...

this is all based from my experience in judging the last two HCs...

Status
Not open for further replies.