• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #5: Science Fiction - Poll

Your vote for this contest goes to...?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Review for Amn's entry

- Hero model & icons are Ok except the zombie which is really not suited for this type of hero…
- Description is not well polished, I mean something like this “Then you place the bomb inside like this. See? now you throw it in and then wait for the explosion. And stay far.” <<<really bad…
- The tooltip of the hero when revived/produced/summon is missing…
- The codes are really bad, converted from GUI-Jass, and it’s not properly indented, lacks configurations also…
- You din’t filter things in ‘ug’ group properly…
- You are creating triggers & actions on every spell cast plus uses TriggerSleepAction, which I doubt that this is MUI…
- Struct impact is very bad also, it doesn’t have any members plus you’re using hashtables in it instead of ‘standard struct’, destroys triggers and uses waits also…

Rating: 2.5/10
The_Reborn_Devil said:
It's called reusing code. It's way better to make a library use one common library, than to include the library in every other library. It's why we even use libraries.
well, I dont have againts that but it suppose to require nothing like, Alloc and LinkedListModule are independent...

The_Reborn_Devil said:
Not if they are supposed to be accessible from other libraries or scopes.

that's 'if', but this spell (particularly grip & cataclysm) wont be used in other libraries and scopes...

nerovesper said:
Unfortunately though on saving KeyID's through GUI Hashtables, whenever I look for variables it won't show me any variables. I thought it was some kind of glitch or bug on the WE. at ung, one hashtable thing... yah, I just noticed. T_T

coz you're using JNGP, and it doesnt support that...use custom script "set udg_KeyId = GetHandleId(GetTriggerUnit())"

Lord_Earthfire said:
I had to make a decision here. When i would add flying units into the targeting, then i would risk to cause bugs when the mechanical unit dies above unwalkable ground or above trees (in which situations the hero could get stuck). I added the cooldown to prevent a mass death/abuse of enemy mechanical units, since when the occupied mechanical unit dies, you could easiely ride another one until this one dies. I added it just against this abuse, so you could at maximum occupie 2 vehicles at once without retreating for a time.

if the hero is stuck, the kill the hero, afterall most of the crashes caused by air transport dies ;)...
well, Imo it's not an abuse coz clearly you cant use your abilities & attack
while on board, but if cooldown is really needed, the you should have put at
least 20 seconds, not 80...

Level 13
@scorpion182 nd Vlad727 - Thnx mates. Glad u think so. :D

@mckill2009 - So does my World Editor. Problem in JNGP, it can't find KeyID's but on both JNGP & WE they forgot to put those variable options and yea the best solution would be custom scripts. Man! Everything is thought about at the end. Too bad it's too late to optimize those now. Anyway! Thank you for these info, I will apply these in my future creations. :)

@Lord_Earthfire - Yea those calculations... But those jumps were pretty cool, how he throws those drones and plants that mine. I'm very bad in math that's why it also took me so much time to make my calculations. T___T

Level 22
well, I dont have againts that but it suppose to require nothing like, Alloc and LinkedListModule are independent...
That Alloc is less efficient than mine, because it doesn't use the same library mine uses (among other things :>).

that's 'if', but this spell (particularly grip & cataclysm) wont be used in other libraries and scopes...
Ah, but I was going to make them in such a way that they could be used. You never know what other modders can come up with :>

Level 12
I vote for nerovesper.
Excuse me if I didn't look through all the maps, but he took an awesome model and put it into a highly complex and awesome hero.
If the WC3 graphics weren't so crappy and if you bothered to make this hero in the SC2 engine it would be a complete blast (meaning success).

My other favorite was Lord Earthfire's submission, because I had a similar concept and because they were both awesome. <3
Gratz for all the entries!

Level 29
The_Reborn_Devil said:
Ah, but I was going to make them in such a way that they could be used. You
never know what other modders can come up with :>

No I dont think so with this spell, but dont get me wrong coz I assumed 98% only, XD...

@nerovesper
I assumed that you're talking about 'normal' WE, but it's not possible that 'key' is not there...

Amn

Amn

Level 2
Review for Amn's entry

1 - Hero model & icons are Ok except the zombie which is really not suited for this type of hero…
2 - Description is not well polished, I mean something like this “Then you place the bomb inside like this. See? now you throw it in and then wait for the explosion. And stay far.” <<<really bad…
3 - The tooltip of the hero when revived/produced/summon is missing…
4 - The codes are really bad, converted from GUI-Jass, and it’s not properly indented, lacks configurations also…
5 - You din’t filter things in ‘ug’ group properly…
6 - You are creating triggers & actions on every spell cast plus uses TriggerSleepAction, which I doubt that this is MUI…
7 - Struct impact is very bad also, it doesn’t have any members plus you’re using hashtables in it instead of ‘standard struct’, destroys triggers and uses waits also…

Rating: 2.5/10
1) it's supposed to be a man's body. u think u get better score the more you import models ?

2) About skills descriptions, it's supposed to be a military unit so its description format is too. and i really prefer you say "i dont like it" than "really bad".

3) Why would i need that revive/produce text ? i bet u did it on your map

4) For small, basic triggers, i create triggers with ctrl+T, then events with ctrl+E and convert to jass with ctrl+Q. if needed i modify something before start building the trigger. That doesn't make it bad, and code must be effective, not cute.

5) i filter what's needed.

6) absolutly false. A trigger wait does not stop the code. And a trigger can run several times for all players all you want. that's basic man.
About TriggerSleepActions i made lots of tests before using it in my maps, it works. you cant bug my spells and it is mui.

7) the way i did the impact method it's my way. i dont like globals around my map, i didnt need struct members. and i already had a hashtable.

ure rating my map 2.5/10 ? lol. you dont want me to check your code. believe me.
how about u talk about the good things on the maps other than criticize

Last edited:
Level 29
@Amn
Im just doin what I planned do >>> to review the maps submitted here, even though nobody asks me...

3) Why would i need that revive/produce text ? i bet u did it on your map
Coz it's part of Aesthetics, what we are making is a Hero, not a spell...

5) i filter what's needed.
really?, you call this filter?, how bout other players?...
JASS:
function Lure_Conditions takes nothing returns boolean
    if (IsUnitOwnedByPlayer( GetFilterUnit(), Player(6) ) == false) then
        return false
    endif

return true
endfunction

6) absolutly false. A trigger wait does not stop the code. And a trigger can run several times for all players all you want. that's basic man.
About TriggerSleepActions i made lots of tests before using it in my maps, it works. you cant bug my spells and it is mui.
I didnt say stop, but uses "wait" which is really bad for spells, use timers instead...
Like I mentioned, you are creating a trigger again and again on every cast (every cast of a desired spell I mean)...

JASS:
function Trig_Meat_Actions takes nothing returns nothing

local unit u = GetTriggerUnit()
local unit d
local player p = GetTriggerPlayer()
local location where = GetUnitLoc( u )
local location target = GetSpellTargetLoc() 

local trigger trLure = CreateTrigger() //<<< Very bad
local integer trHid = GetHandleIdBJ( trLure )

local integer abl = GetUnitAbilityLevel( u, 'meat' )

//meat launch
    set d = CreateUnitAtLoc( p, 'dumm', where, 0 )
    call UnitAddAbility( d, 'A007' )
    call IssuePointOrderByIdLoc( d, OrderId("clusterrockets"), target )
    call UnitApplyTimedLifeBJ( 3, 'BTLF', d )

i dont like globals around my map
htab, resistance and gg_trg (in triggers) are globals ;), plus globals is a MUST on any good spells/maps...

ure rating my map 2.5/10 ? lol. you dont want me to check your code. believe me.
how about u talk about the good things on the maps other than criticize
It's an open source, so I would be glad if anyone checks & makes a review of
it, the review I made on the other hand is good criticism on how to improve
things...
Be cool dude, I review based on experience ;)...

Amn

Amn

Level 2
really?, you call this filter?, how bout other players?...

JASS:
function Lure_Conditions takes nothing returns boolean
    if (IsUnitOwnedByPlayer( GetFilterUnit(), Player(6) ) == false) then
        return false
    endif

return true
endfunction
exactly, what about other players? they don't exist on the map. what's the point then.

I didnt say stop, but uses "wait" which is really bad for spells, use timers instead...
Like I mentioned, you are creating a trigger again and again on every cast (every cast of a desired spell I mean)...

JASS:
function Trig_Meat_Actions takes nothing returns nothing

local unit u = GetTriggerUnit()
local unit d
local player p = GetTriggerPlayer()
local location where = GetUnitLoc( u )
local location target = GetSpellTargetLoc() 

local trigger trLure = CreateTrigger() //<<< Very bad
local integer trHid = GetHandleIdBJ( trLure )

local integer abl = GetUnitAbilityLevel( u, 'meat' )

//meat launch
    set d = CreateUnitAtLoc( p, 'dumm', where, 0 )
    call UnitAddAbility( d, 'A007' )
    call IssuePointOrderByIdLoc( d, OrderId("clusterrockets"), target )
    call UnitApplyTimedLifeBJ( 3, 'BTLF', d )
why are bad? because u read it on a guide ?
and i create and destroy triggers, timers, groups and locations as i want, where's the "<very bad" on that ? u are insane.

htab, resistance and gg_trg (in triggers) are globals ;), plus globals is a MUST on any good spells/maps...
ergo i dont need more globals. i already have a hashtable. and nice obvious stuff there.

It's an open source, so I would be glad if anyone checks & makes a review of
it, the review I made on the other hand is good criticism on how to improve
things...
Be cool dude, I review based on experience ;)...
im ok if you review my code and point out mistakes or something, but dont call it "very bad" :cconf: as if whatever experience u have gives u permission to or something. also u were wrong on every point.

Level 29
Can you stop with all this "mine code is better/your suck/whatever", please.
dont worry coz that's the last time Ima answer to him, Im just answering the
questions, but Ima stop now even though Im eager to answer...

glass-ping said:
I don't really expect too much, since I only started with coding not long ago. I just want to learn from my mistakes. :)
This answer is better, and this fellow can go a long way...

Level 22
Not to be annoying or anything, but will the results be released soon? I'm eager to know how much you've slaughtered my entry (if you reviewed it, that is. I didn't actually finish :D).

Level 5
neroversper definitely has the most interesting hero,
if you ask me that is of course :p
To me it is clear, my vote goes to neroversper

Level 30
Strike me to my last tear and drop of blood if I don't cause a complete overhaul of the Arena when I get back online and active.

I just can't look at such a low thing the judges did. Pharaoh is dead trying to save every single contest, and this is how you repay him? Repay us? Shame on you. You had extensions on extension's extensions, and you, as I can just pray that I'm wrong, haven't reviewed a single entry. And then we can just wonder why the people are running away from the Arena. Again, shame on you. There are no excuses for this.

Level 30
Blacklisted for sure, at least in my contests! I know that I can't do much with my words, but I'm pretty much sure that their acts speak a lot more than their words.

Can anybody contact Naest, Maghter, Bribe, Maker? If they could spare few hours to rush in with their results (nothing lenghty or spectacular), we can just get over this... Childplay.
I would ask them myself, but I'm slow enough on my phone already.

I've started looking at them in-game... I'll probably not be able to finish it today though coz I need to go to school to get some papers signed + some misc work...

btw, by some kind of fate, I opened TRD's entry first...

oh, -Kobas- is a JB fan... XD...

Lolz ^_^
Thank you for dropping in I already wanted to bring storm over this whole contest and fail judges.

Status
Not open for further replies.