• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Aeon of Strife] Heart of the Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
144287-albums4222-picture84622.png

[td] [td]
Type:Aeon of Strife
Playable Map Size:~250x110
Suggested Players:5vs5 or 6vs6
Coded in:WurstScript
[/td]

144287-albums4222-picture65568.png
1 Introduction
4t0b.jpg

"Heart of the Night" is an highly altered and innovative AoS-type Warcraft 3 map.
The battleground consists of 4 control Points and a coliseum in the center. The
overall goal is to be the first team to score a specific number of points or to
destroy the enemy base by fighting alongside AI minions.

The development team aims to create a high developped Warcraft 3 multiplayer
modification in case of design and performance.

2 Story / Lore
144287-albums4222-picture89268.jpg

The story is in progress. You can follow it here:
  1. Whispers
  2. Mission
  3. Secrets
  4. Forgotten Legacy
  5. Insights
  6. -
3 Gameplay Components
Aimed to deliver a fast-paced gameplay, the overall goal is not achived by passing
linear objectives as destroying towers in a row. The feel is compareable to rope
pulling. A specific amount of points splitt up by two teams leads to a constant
fight of gaining the upper hand. Every action on this map has the effect of taking
points from one team to the other team. These point transferring effects increase
over time.
3.1 Control Points
wh1d.jpg

Control Points on Greenrock Isle are acquired over the course of a brief channel
time. While channeling, your hero is unable to take any action without disrupting
this process. Damage or crowd control effects will also interrupt your capture.
Hold by a team these points have healing effects towards allied heroes and damage
effects towards enemy units.

3.2 Coliseum
fm1c.jpg

The coliseum combines typical moba genre elements as jungle and boss fight area,
which are extended by pvp arena battles.

4 Development Blog Please tell us your thoughts about our development progress and ideas.
Every opinion or suggestion stated helps us creating an enjoyable map.
[td]jopis' Terrain Showcase:[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[td]5[/td]
[td]6[/td]
[td]7[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]10[/td]
[td]11[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]13[/td]
[td]14[/td]
[td]15[/td]
[td]16[/td]

Terrain Showcase

We are still recruiting!

The official support banner:
[td]
128px
144287-albums4222-picture80772.png

HTML:
[url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/heart-night-225166/][img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/144287-albums4222-picture80772.png[/img][/url]
[/td][td]
100px
144287-albums4222-picture80771.png

HTML:
[url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/heart-night-225166/][img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/144287-albums4222-picture80771.png[/img][/url]
[/td]

Last edited:
Level 13
outdated stuff
[]
old content
Hope it got AI's

There will be an AI but it has very low priority atm. :)

Everything is looking great. Looking forward to this one.
If you want, I can offer some sort of help in this project, mostly idea generation/creation.

Everyone is free to take a part in this project. I created a hero description template in order to structure hero suggestions, but I doubt anybody will use it :D since it is a wall of text for bb-code beginners. Nevertheless if anybody wants his or her own hero to be a part in this project, one can simply copy the code and fill out the tables.

Hero Description Template

If you have any suggestion for an unique hero idea, which should be included in this map you can use the template below. You don't have to use it.

Description

[td]
Class:==CLASS==
Name:==NAME==
Icon:==ICON==

Description

Abilities

Credits

[td]
==PICTURE==
[/td][td]
Information:
==TEXT==
[/td]
NumberNameIconTypeRequirementsDescriptionTarget
==NUMBER===NAME====ICON====TYPE====REQUIREMENTS====DESCRIPTION====TARGET==
TypeNameCreatorLink
Model==MODELNAME====CREATOR====LINK==
Icon==ICONNAME====CREATOR====LINK==
Skin==SKINNAME====CREATOR====LINK==
Hero Concept by: ==YOURNAME==
[/TD]

Here is the code:

PHP:
[table][tabs][tab=Description][INVTABLE][td][TABLE][tr][TD]Class:[/TD][td]==CLASS==[/td][/tr][tr][TD]Name:[/TD][td]==NAME==[/td][/tr][tr][TD]Icon:[/TD][td]==ICON==[/td][/tr][/TABLE][/td][td][table]==PICTURE==[/table][/td][td][TABLE][tr][TD]Information:[/TD][/tr][tr][td]==TEXT==[/td][/tr][/TABLE][/td][/INVTABLE][/tab][tab=Abilities][TABLE][tr][TD]Number[/TD][TD]Name[/TD][TD]Icon[/TD][TD]Type[/TD][TD]Requirements[/TD][TD]Description[/TD][TD]Target[/TD][/tr][tr][td]==NUMBER=[/td][td]==NAME==[/td][td]==ICON==[/td][td]==TYPE==[/td][td]==REQUIREMENTS==[/td][td]==DESCRIPTION==[/td][td]==TARGET==[/td][/tr][/TABLE][/tab][tab=Credits][INVTABLE][tr][TABLE][tr][TD]Type[/TD][TD]Name[/TD][TD]Creator[/TD][TD]Link[/TD][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][TD]Model[/TD][td]==MODELNAME==[/td][td]==CREATOR==[/td][td]==LINK==[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][TD]Icon[/TD][td]==ICONNAME==[/td][td]==CREATOR==[/td][td]==LINK==[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][TD]Skin[/TD][td]==SKINNAME==[/td][td]==CREATOR==[/td][td]==LINK==[/td][/tr][/tr][/TABLE][tr][b]Hero Concept by:[/b] ==YOURNAME==[/tr][/INVTABLE][/tab][/tabs][/table]

There is no limitation about the number of abilities. You don't have to stick to the traditional amount of spells:
3 normal abilities and 1 ultimate.

Description

[td]
Class:Huntsman
Name:Rorald Trueshot
Icon:
BTNRifleman.png

Description

Abilities

[td]
rifleman.gif
[/td][td]
Lore:
Here fits everything about the hero. It doesn't have to be just a short description about the hero. You can put here information about his behavior on the battlefield like if he is a good supporter or damage dealer. Also what model for the attack is recommended if he has a range attack etc.
[/td]
1Huntsmanship
BTNImprovedBows.png
PassiveLevel 1Increases the Attack Rate and Attack Distancenone
2Ensnare
BTNEnsnare.png
ActiveLevel 2Throws a net, which traps an enemy unit.single target
3Explosive Shot
BTNHumanArtilleryUpOne.png
ActiveLevel 2Shoots an explosive projectile at a target area.target area
4Bait
BTNShadowPact.png
ActiveLevel 2; HuntsmanshipSummons a bait which provokes nearby enemy units to attack it at a target area.target area
5Poison Sting
BTNEnvenomedSpear.png
ActiveLevel 2; HuntsmanshipMelee attack which slows down an enemy unit and hurts the unit over time.single target
6Napalm
BTNImmolationOn.png
PassiveLevel 4; Explosive ShotExplosive Shot burns the ground which causes enemy units to get damage.none
7Detonation
BTNCorpseExplode.png
ActiveLevel 4; Explosive Shot; BaitDetonates the bait which causes enemy units to get hurt.none
8Silencing Shot
BTNImpalingBolt.png
ActiveLevel 4; HuntsmanshipSilences an enemy unit, which means it can not cast spells. Additionally, the shot interupts channeling.single target
9Drift Shot
BTNArcaniteRanged.png
ActiveLevel 4Hurts enemy units in a line.target area
10Spike Net
BTNThorns.png
PassiveLevel 8; EnsnareEnsnare hurts the target unit over time and decreases armor.none
11Escape Jump
BTNInvisibility.png
ActiveLevel 8Hero jumps backwards and increases the dodge value for few seconds.none
12Trueshot Aura
BTNTrueShot.png
ActiveLevel 16Friendly units which are near the hero gets an attack damage bonus for few seconds.none
13Scare Up
BTNBattleRoar.png
ActiveLevel 16Enemy units in a target area gets a decrease of attack damage for few seconds.target area
14Fast Death
BTNBloodLust.png
PassiveLevel 16; Drift ShotCasting a spell has the chance of reseting the cooldown of all shot spellsnone
[tr]

Abilities

Credits

Hero Concept by: bhusta
[/TD][/TR]

An ingame skill-tree for the huntsman could look like this:
skilltreecriggeshunter.png
where did I get the gif animation? If the hero uses a standard model, you search for it with google like this:

"rifleman site:http://classic.battle.net/"

and your first link will be link.

You will find all standard hero icons here.

Yes it is a lot of work making these descriptions but this is the reason why we are happy for every finished outcome like the example :) of course you will get +reps for every hero description posted here.

Last edited:
Level 19
Out of boredom, I made this one:

Description

[td]
Class:Huntress of the Night
Name:Adora Everfall
Icon:
BTNHuntress.png

Description

Abilities

[td]
huntress.gif
[/td][td]
Information:
The Huntress is just a bomb at chasing and ganking. She can easily set up the kill with Bola Shot, Follow up with a Leap Strike, hit with Paw Strike, and finish with Umbra. If you find yourself in a situation where your foe runs away, hit a Glaive Roll on them, it allows you to deal heavy damage with a sort of homing blade, which finds its target. On team fights, you hit your Crescentfall, which allows you to do multiple hits of Umbra with one spell. How awesome! If you find yourself in a sticky situation, Bola Shot and Leap Strike your way out. Strength of the Moon gives you better bonuses, where you can take down your foes very quickly. Go for a pentakill!
[/td]
1Lunar Crest
BTNAmbush.png
PassiveLevel 1The Attack Damage, Vision, Attack Speed and Movement speed of the Huntress and her nearby allies are increased during night.No Target
2Glaive Hurl
BTNUpgradeMoonGlaive.png
ActiveLevel 2The Huntress has a chance to hurl her Glaive into an enemy unit and bounces off nearby units. If it hit less than 3 units, the attack damage received by the units are doubled.Unit Target
3Bola Shot
BTNEnsnare.png
ActiveLevel 2Hurls a net to the target unit, dealing minimal damage to it and slows it for a short duration. The target unit is stunned first for a second then slowed if it is night.Unit Target
4Animal Proficiency
BTNRegeneration.png
PassiveLevel 2Increases the proficiency of the Huntress' pet animal, increasing her Movement Speed and giving her a chance to deal two attacks instead of one.No Target
5Moon Skin
BTNImprovedMoonArmor.png
ActiveLevel 2; Lunar CrestDecreases the damage intake of the target unit for a short duration.Unit Target
6Truevision
BTNUltravision.png
ActiveLevel 3; Lunar CrestFor a short while, the Huntress vision is not affected by the Fog of War.No Target
7Leap Strike
BTNAttackGround.png
ActiveLevel 3; Animal ProficiencyThe Huntress leaps into the target point and deals damage upon entry. She also gains increased Movement Speed.Unit Target
8Summon Lunar Howlers
BTNTimberWolf.png
ActiveLevel 4; Animal Proficiency; Leap StrikeThe Huntress summons Spectral Howlers which charge to the target point and attack the nearest unit and keep on attacking on it unless killed. Lasts for a short duration.Point Target
9Paw Strike
BTNImprovedStrengthOfTheWild.png
ActiveLevel 4; Animal ProficiencyThe next attack of the Huntress activates Animal Proficiency, making it hit twice and stun the enemy unit for a short duration.No Target
10Umbra
skill-0.gif
ActiveLevel 8; Lunar Crest; TruevisionFires a pillar of lunar energy at the target point, dealing minimal damage to both the enemies health and mana. Can only hit one unit.Point Target
11Glaive Roll
BTNFeedBack.png
ActiveLevel 12; Glaive HurlThe Huntress hurls her Glaive at the target point and doesn't stop until it hits a unit. When it hits a unit, it comes back to the Huntress. She cannot attack while the Glaive is not with her. Deals heavy damage.Unit Target
12Lunar Strength
skill-3.gif
PassiveLevel 14; Lunar Crest; UmbraEvery 4th spell would deal bonus damage or have a bonus effect. Has an 18 second cooldown.None
13Crescentfall
BTNStarFall.png
ActiveLevel 16; UmbraThe Huntress fires a rain of multiple Umbra's, dealing increased damage for every time hit. Lasts for a short duration.Area Target
14Strength of the Moon
BTNGenericSpellImmunity.png
PassiveLevel 16; CrescentfallThe Huntress is driven by thrill of the hunt, making all her passives have a 100% chance and speeds up the Day/Night Cycle. Also, her spells cost half of its original cost. Lunar Crest is active. Lasts for a short duration.None
[tr]

Abilities

Credits

Hero Concept by: Drunken_Jackal
[/TD][/TR]

Level 13
At first I thought you were saying "yeah, put some empty wait time in it! thats fun" :D

But you meant to say we should do it like it is made in "Warhammer: Dawn of War" where one can conquer points by units placing a flag into a slot or something like that. This is already something what we consider and we are thinking about to what extend a player shall be actively involved in the conquering part.
The first version will have the standard version as the WoW battleground but we won't stop developping.

Level 19
At first I thought you were saying "yeah, put some empty wait time in it! thats fun" :D

But you meant to say we should do it like it is made in "Warhammer: Dawn of War" where one can conquer points by units placing a flag into a slot or something like that. This is already something what we consider and we are thinking about to what extend a player shall be actively involved in the conquering part.
The first version will have the standard version as the WoW battleground but we won't stop developping.

Somehow like that. I wouldn't say slot, maybe area. In this control points, you could add a sort of guard to it. Temporary one to prolong the gameplay.

Level 13
Cool stuff. But what is the AoS part of it? :) Are you going to have npc units come out or something? Or do you mean just with the part about control points.

Anyway, nice layout and good luck to you on your project.

Yes, there will be npc units supporting the gameplay because the original battleground was designed for up to 30 players. So it would be a little bit empty without minions :). You are right this point is missing in the description.

Somehow like that. I wouldn't say slot, maybe area. In this control points, you could add a sort of guard to it. Temporary one to prolong the gameplay.

i thought about units bulding a pump at the control points, because the story is about invaders who want to drain ether energy from the island. But there is no final decision about if an unit shall build a new pump after destroying the enemy ones or just adopt the old pump.

Level 19
Yes, we realy need additional coders :)
But you must know, that we are working with an unreleased language called wurstscript.
From our point of view it is better than vJass. One reason is that the syntax is shorter.

Here is the manual.

If you still want to participate just let me know ;)

looks like you took java and removed all of the brackets :eek:

JASS:
if x > y or x <= z and "blub" != "blah"
    print("if is true")
print("if done.")

if GetSpellAbilityId() == 'A000'
    AddSpecialEffect( GetSpellTargetX(), GetSpellTargetY(), FX_PATH )

no offense, but this looks like absolute hell to read.

Level 13
Seems ok but im not very good at jassing yet. I will work slower if I need to work in WurstScript :)
But not a very big deal
You only need basic knowledge of jass so it realy isn't a big deal ;) This week-end, I will talk to Crigges about the best way to integrate you since he is the brain behind the coding part.
First of all you need to download eclipse, this is the platform where you gonna write the code in.

JASS:
    print("if is true")
print("if done.")

I knew that would happen :D Yes, for hardcore vJassers it can be hard to accept that there is something new that could be better than vJass and please don't start a discussion about an unreleased language. I had a short discussion before and I am not the right person to argue with. As a former GUI-fetishist I can only say that my eyes hurt when I see codes written in jass or vjass.

It is java implemented for warcraft 3. You write your codes in eclipse where you can see your mistakes at the moment you are typing them. The syntax is shorter. There is no endif or returns nothing or "call" function blub. The authors of wurstscript want to release the language soon. But I am not qualified to say more about it.

Level 13
Mini-Update: 01-17-2013

This is a brief update about the current status of the project. I may update the first post next week-end but I doubt that because I am too busy at the moment.

Team News:

Crigges is really dedicated in case of making a lot of systems so that the hero and ability creation will be very easy in the end and additionally we will have a great visualization.

We weren't able to integrate chaosy properly into the project because of variuos reasons he can not be blamend for. If a triggerer wants to join us, he or she has to learn WurstScript. I posted this various times before but it's not a totally different world compared to vJass but still different. In fact, it is Java for warcraft3. This is the reason why one writes the triggers in eclipse.

I am going to be inactive in case of terraining for the next three months, because of some personal changes. For the reason not shutting down the terrain work for this time, I asked terrainers which I believe are capable of producing good quality terrains. So, Naze joined as a co-terrainer and is working on the terrain right now.

Concept News:

The concept itself of the project had a huge development during the past months. So there are some points in the first post which are now outdated.
  • We want to integrate the tug-of-war-principle, experimentally.
  • Most games have a linear course in case of victory and defeat for example:
    • Standard AoS: destroy tower one -> destroy tower two -> destroy tower three -> destroy base
    • Standard Dominion: gain victory points for captured control points per second until one reaches the point limit.
  • We are aiming for a more dynamic gameplay. Everything that gives points to one team has the effect of removing points from the opponent team.
  • This is the tug-of-war-principle.
  • One of the main elements of the first concept (capture the flag) will be replaced by a periodic arena event. Reasons for this step are:
    • We want players to fight against each other. Capture the flag has the characteristic of reducing aggressive gameplay. Players are forced to flee from the fight because they must bring the flag to a control point.
    • It works for World of Warcraft, because it has diffenrent prerequisites like a fixed equipment and a multiple of the number of players that are possible in Warcraft 3.

Development News:

• planned features for capture points:
    • hero revival
    • hero heal
    • every minion near a capture point looses hit points
  • The planned features of the minion spawn are pretty standard:
    • There are two lanes, where the minions will
    • The minions spawn in a certain periodic time
    • The only unique feature is that we plan to create a single bigger/stronger minion which spawns with the other minions but only on one lane mirror-inverted to the opponent team. The outcome is that we create a wanted unbalancing for encouraging aggressive gameplay.

Last edited:
Level 23

JASS:
    print("if is true")
print("if done.")

And Jass is better, because why?
Because of additional verbosity and unfixed style + almost no conventions?
This is example code. A whole package will look different. It won't be in this ugly hive highlighting, but in eclipse. It aims to be similar to Jass so you can adapt faster.
If it's like hell for you, might consider seeing a doctor, it's very pleasant for me and way better than (v)jass.

Level 23
which is easier to read

The 3rd. It's most natural. Jass has too much verbosity and curly brackets are an ass to write, lots of symbols don't support any readability at all.

heres an even bigger code in that language

I know Jass? It's ugly and what exactly do you want to illustrate?

JASS:
function string.measure() returns real
	let length = this.length()
	var result = 0.

if length == 0 
		return 0.
	else if length == 1 
		return size[s.toAscii()]
	for i = 0 to length-1
		var sub = this.substring(i, i+1)
		if sub == "|" 
			sub = this.substring(i+1, i+2)
			if sub == "c"
				i += 9
			else if sub == "r"
				i++
			else
				result += size[124]
		else
			result += size[sub.toAscii()]
	return result

besides, if you werent able to tab, you wouldnt be able to write in this code! plus... different computers have different tab lengths.

why wouldn't you be able to tab?
and no, different OS or display configurations have different tab lengths,
only if tabs are converted to a specific amount of whitespaces they are really different.
We are talking about a \t here, k?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
the main thing about this language is that you don't even work in the editor that is why I left the team it ruins the whole fun with wc3.

also you were talking about barkets what is this then
JASS:
function getUnitInfo( unit u )
    player p = u.getOwner()
    var name = u.getName()
    print( name )
    real x = u.getX()
    real y = u.getY()
    let sum = x + y

Level 23
the main thing about this language is that you don't even work in the editor that is why I left the team it ruins the whole fun with wc3.

also you were talking about barkets what is this then
JASS:
function getUnitInfo( unit u )
    player p = u.getOwner()
    var name = u.getName()
    print( name )
    real x = u.getX()
    real y = u.getY()
    let sum = x + y

lolno, thats the best feature. TE sucks, TESH makes it a little bit better, but still bad.
And I was talking about curly brackets.
Anyways, this is really OT, if you like using TE, it's really your problem.

Level 13

of course this is one of the best features oO
- you can share codes faster
this team for example shares a dropbox folder where we have the text files used by eclipse. So we are able to work on codes simultaneously.

- you can correct the codes faster
the moment you are typing the code, eclipse shows you possible mistakes, so you don't have to do this crappy world editor saving and hoping nothing goes wrong.

- you can test the codes faster
the wurstscript world editor is like JNPG, but when it comes to the saving point, it automatically searches the folder of the map for ".wurst" files and imports the pure code without having visible triggers in the WE. Due to that, the saving process is nearly instant.

Level 23
what's the point playing a game when you dont use its contests this makes not sense to me.
"contests" ? you mean contents?

why do you use hiveworkshop models or tools, they aren't originally from blizzard/the game. vJass isn't either. Nor is JNGP. Neither is TESH. TriggerEditor without TESH is simply a notepad (if using for jass).
Why would I use "broken" contents if there is a way better alternative~~~~

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
If you think what I wrote was stupid looks at your own post. ofc you can use custom sruff else it wont be a mod. tesh is just a colourizer it wont change the way you mod modelsa re indeed custom but you use them just like a normal model and you got the import manager so apparently we are supposed to import custom stuff. your language uses a java pogram + a custom editor. and the setup was hell took like one hour. And I didnt do it a guy who knew how to do it

Level 13
ofc you can use custom sruff else it wont be a mod
It is possible to create a mod without using custom material.

tesh is just a colourizer it wont change the way you mod
your language uses a java pogram + a custom editor

JNPG is also a custom editor and you can write wurst also in the editor. The colorizer is just different. We use the java program to avoid mistakes. you don't have to use it.

and the setup was hell took like one hour
the only disadvantage is that eclipse has a huge file size but most people who are in the programming bizz already have this program.

Additionally, one point where you might struggled, was this updater for the editor, which updates the editor so that you always have the newest version. One doesn't need it in general but like JNPG there are new versions of the editor, because it isn't released yet and there are still some things which need to be fixed. A JNPG user won't be informend about a new version except he or she searches the www for a newer version.

Level 23
If you think what I wrote was stupid looks at your own post. ofc you can use custom sruff else it wont be a mod. tesh is just a colourizer it wont change the way you mod modelsa re indeed custom but you use them just like a normal model and you got the import manager so apparently we are supposed to import custom stuff. your language uses a java pogram + a custom editor. and the setup was hell took like one hour. And I didnt do it a guy who knew how to do it

Really, no, you have no idea.
TESH proved autocomplete, the function list, search tools, everything that is in the top bar. Open the normal editor and convert something to Jass.
Save something with an error and see the WE syntax checker. Even PJass, the JNGP syntax checker is 3rd party.

Additionally, the tools are unofficial and under heavy development.
Bhust/Crigges were linking them, because they use them because I/we gave them the possibility to. Obviously no one knows it, because WurstScript isn't even released.
JassHelper for instance doesn't run on linux/mac os, WurstScript does. So "installing" is always a matter of perspective.
Advanced users like myself, as I develop WurstScript in eclipse, have eclipse AND compile the source directly.

Level 8
Meh. I dont mind what language you use, just make sure that this would be an awesome map :D

^this

We don't want a discussion here about which language is better!!!

Write ur stuff wherever u want, but we for our part like wurst and eclipse much more then vJass and the Trigger Editor.
So if u like to work with us, u also have to...

Each contributing about which language is better is undesirable

Level 13
Mega bump!

We nearly reached the seventh site :D
It is just about time for an update!

The development is still an ongoing process. I can't say when there will be a beta phase but we hope to arrange something for July.

The latest news is that I started working on our homepage. We want to keep our presentation thread as minimalistic as possible due to being represented in multible forums and the content management is a little bit hard if the data is spread over the internet.

So the main information are given by the homepage and the community sites are the place of contact with the players.

Short update about what we are doing:

- Crigges is still busy with triggering/coding stuff. He has a great progress each day. Unfortunately we can't show what he is doing yet.

- Naze is designing the south base and the whole environment. I am very happy that he joined this team because he put a lot of love in the terrain.

- other team members who aren't represented on the hive are working on new logo as seen at the first post and other 2D elements.
We are still searching for further GFX-Artists or people who can actually draw with photoshop.

- I am currently creating and managing the homepage. My task will be writing a guide and other information during the next month.

I am sorry that we have so few picture materials or new videos but we are not that far from a first playable. Maybe we will have an alpha test run in July.

PS: The project is now called Heart of the Night.

Level 13
Update 11-01-2013

• Now we have a decent presentation again.
  • Some information were really outdated. Also the information presented are more generalized now.
  • The credits are removed because we are changing the used resources faster then I can add them.
  • The terrain reached a playable status.
  • next update will contain some data about the exclusive systems Crigges designed.

Last edited:
Level 13
Now, where the terrain work is almost done, I present you a compilation of the progress
from October 2012 until November 2013. Hope you enjoy it.

2012-10-19
nxvv.jpg

2012-10-27
6qzx.jpg

2012-10-28
94xh.jpg

2012-11-10
j0l2.jpg

2012-12-13
b43n.jpg

2012-12-19
ztkb.jpg

2013-06-24
07gc.jpg

2013-06-24b
mu0w.jpg

2013-06-24c
4zzl.jpg

2013-07-28
x6qs.jpg

2013-08-30
3bge.jpg

2013-10-26
qb4z.jpg

2013-11-01
djif.jpg

Last edited:
Level 13
Good work there. Just a few things though, I think that some off the doodads being used are of different colors than the other ones being used. Creates a stark and a bit eye-straining contrast (mostly with the 2nd picture).

Thank you Drunken_Jackal,

The screenshots show the progress in a chronological order.
So this is what the second screenshot became.
6qzx.jpg

3bge.jpg

Those screens look great so far. I really like the designs of the coliseums.

Speaking of that, could you explain a bit more about the purpose of the coliseums? I don't see how they fit into capturing control points. You said there is a boss there, but what is the incentive behind killing the boss? (phat lewt?) I'm just interested.

I really like the dynamics of the terrain as well. Hopefully there will be some abilities to use it to your advantage e.g. projectile colliding or reflecting with walls, knockbacks, and all that awesome stuff.

Good luck!

Level 13
Those screens look great so far. I really like the designs of the coliseums.
Thank you very much :)

Speaking of that, could you explain a bit more about the purpose of the coliseums? I don't see how they fit into capturing control points. You said there is a boss there, but what is the incentive behind killing the boss? (phat lewt?) I'm just interested

I decided to write a very general description about it because we are continuously changing its' features. The very first concept of the map had no coliseum in the middle but a captureable orb which should implement some kind of "capture the flag" mode.

But during the development we had dozens of internal discussions about how this affects the gameplay. Of course this would be fun but also lead to camping and it destracts too much from capturing the capture points. This concept wouldn't work for just 12 players from our point of view.

Then we had the very unique original idea of creating a place where we can have arena events. This would be a periodically event where all heroes are ported into the arena and would be forced to fight against each other. Because of our systems this would be compareable to the popular map warlock.

But after more discussions we decided to not let something interrupting the game. Imagine if you are in a great team fight or your are near to capture a capture point and ... booom you are in an arena. Frustrating isn't it?

After all the coliseum shall be a place where players are going to when they need or want a bonus which creates a temporal advantage. Being a point of interest makes this place a battle zone because both teams want this bonus and this enforces team fights which is what we want.

One way of doing this is placing a boss in the middle which gives a buff to the killing team on death.
But this is only one way and we are not opposed of implementing various events/bosses which spawn/appear. So there will be some kind of diversity.

I really like the dynamics of the terrain as well. Hopefully there will be some abilities to use it to your advantage e.g. projectile colliding or reflecting with walls, knockbacks, and all that awesome stuff.

Good luck!
Yes all of those things are already possible due to Crigges systems. We only need some hardworking coders which use this systems to create creative and unique spells.

Edit:
s74t.jpg

Last edited:
Level 8

Yes as bhusta already said, the knockback system i wrote supports perfect wall and unit collision. Collision also causes damage, so you can theoretically knock an enemy into another enemy which got low hp and kill it. The system would also detect that you caused the knockback, so you caused collision and the damage due to it, so the kill will grant to you.

I work realy close together with bhusta, to accomplish that the terrain works perfectly with my systems and the other way round.

Level 19
For the Arena thing, I thought of an idea where every few minutes a periodic event happens which gives bonus gold to the team to successfully kills off each and every member of the opposing team for a set duration. Kills are only counted inside the arena. Dying outside allows you to respawn while dying inside makes you unable to respawn unless your whole team is dead or the opposing team is dead.

Level 30
Basing from the screenshots from the first post and from each posts and updates, this is one great AOS map with many places to explore I think because each screenshots I do think represents different places in the map right? I also like how the Capturing works. I'll be watching out for this project for I am liking what I am seeing here and definitely adding this for Spotlight Vote.

Good luck to everyone that is working on this project!

Level 13
For the Arena thing, I thought of an idea where every few minutes a periodic event happens which gives bonus gold to the team to successfully kills off each and every member of the opposing team for a set duration.
Kills are only counted inside the arena.
Dying outside allows you to respawn while dying inside makes you unable to respawn unless your whole team is dead or the opposing team is dead.

Yes, we wanted to do this. But it is hard to figure out a fitting concept for this kind of genre by not stopping the game flow.

Compare it to a soccer game where everyone has a role to play which you have to use stratigically. Now, think of a situation
where the referee yells every 5 minutes "Stooop playing! Remember your position and what you wanted to do. For the next 10
seconds we play basketball and the winning team gets a bonus."

We can only implement concepts that doesn't stop the flow.
Creep camps and bosses are standard. You have to decide during the game if you want to leave your fight to come back stronger
then before or continue fighting. The newer and more inventive MOBA games like "Strife" and "Heart of the Storm" have bosses
which spawn on your side if you kill them.

Heart of the Storm especially have a map type where you can go into a dungeon during the game for collecting skulls which if
they are fully collected spawn golems which fight alongside the teams. And another map where you can collect gold coins and give
them to a pirate, who will fire his canons which damage enemy towers.

Speaking of other games, battlefield 4 has a map where a giant ship collides with an island so that the game still goes on but
the terrain itselve changed. This kind of event isn't possible in this project but it is a good examples for events that doesn't
stop the game flow.

Basing from the screenshots from the first post and from each posts and updates, this is one great AOS map with many places to explore I think because each screenshots I do think represents different places in the map right?

Yes, every corner on this map has its' specific design or landmark which makes it easy to declare where you are and what you do.

I also like how the Capturing works. I'll be watching out for this project for I am liking what I am seeing here and definitely adding this for Spotlight Vote.

Good luck to everyone that is working on this project!

Thank you for the vote. I haven't thought someone would do it in this early stage because we aren't able to show a lot of the
core features which shall make this project unique. So, we appriciate your interest.

Level 10
Hi, first of all i really like your project and was following it since the first screens came up in the terrain section :)

juding from what i read you're still not sure how exactly you want to implement
the arena into game play (correct me if i'm wrong)?
I think porting players to it and breaking up the game-folw isn't a good idea, i world rather give the players a reason to fight there...

an example: the arena is also a capture point but works different.
every few minutes (periodic event) the team holding the arena
will get points/gold when the time runs out, depending on how
many other capture points they are holding. (or a buff for the
whole team?)

if it works out as i think, this might make the players change the focus from
the capture points to the arena everytime the periodic time event comes close.

Also if you still need ideas for heroes, i might think of some when i have time
again, for this i would be interested in the lore/setting of this map,
just pm me if you're still in need of

Level 13
@Drunken_Jackal

Perhaps you can just make fighting in the arena yield more bonuses or rewards?
I don't see it really stopping the flow of the game.

Fighting inside the arena doesn't stop the flow, but porting the heroes into the arena
as an event would do it. There could be an event that killing heroes for a short
duration would give more bonuses or rewards but the heroes must enter the arena voluntarily.

Perhaps even making it one huge-ass control point that opens later in game?

Maybe ;) The terrain is very open designed. So different types of events are possible.

@jopi

Hi, first of all i really like your project and was following it since the first screens came up in the terrain section :)
Thank you, we appriciate it :)
I remember you. You had some good suggestions for the terrain.

juding from what i read you're still not sure how exactly you want to implement
the arena into game play (correct me if i'm wrong)?
I think porting players to it and breaking up the game-folw isn't a good idea, i world rather give the players a reason to fight there...
Seconding that.

an example: the arena is also a capture point but works different.
every few minutes (periodic event) the team holding the arena
will get points/gold when the time runs out, depending on how
many other capture points they are holding. (or a buff for the
whole team?)

if it works out as i think, this might make the players change the focus from
the capture points to the arena everytime the periodic time event comes close.

Also a good idea.
Our main problem is that we were not able to combine the coding part with the terrain yet.
One reason is that Crigges hasn't finished all of the systems and is still missing
a helping hand and I started re-terraining big areas.

What concepts for the colisseum work out will be seen if we actually play test games
and that is something I don't see happening during the next two months.
Nevertheless suggestions for the gameplay are always welcome.

Also if you still need ideas for heroes, i might think of some when i have time
again, for this i would be interested in the lore/setting of this map,
just pm me if you're still in need of

At the moment ideas for heroes are not that important. We rather need some creative
coders who use the systems Crigges made to create spells.

Speaking of the lore, I started writing a story for this project once. If you are interested
into continuing the story to the point where the map starts, there might be a place for you
in this project :)

Status
Not open for further replies.