• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hate dota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
DotA is ok i like it but im mostly a Role-Player i always enjoy a game with friends.
I dont get why u ppl hate DotA so much.

Level 4
To the OP.

Because people can't accept the fact that the world is full of so many idiots.

Dota was designed to be a simple, easy to play, and fast game on the basic level, and an enjoyable competitive team game on the advanced level.

Dota is extremely easy to master, and thats the reason it has such an idiotic community, because practically anyone can learn to play the game well in a couple of days, and perform well with practically no effort.

Nothing in dota was ment to be ridiculously difficult to perform, thats why it got so popular. It doesn't matter if current modder of the map makes the game more balanced or not, everyone is going to hate it just because its popular. It's not dota's fault that custom maps cant get onto the list, its the community of battle.net to begin with. 95% of the battle.net community is comprised of simple people looking for simple fast paced games. If the game takes too long to play, and isn't enjoyable on the first appearance, they aren't going to want to play it again.

But why does everyone have to make such a big deal about this anyway, Dota is the reason warcraft 3 battle.net is still alive, the game has been out for a while now any people are still playing.

And eventually, people will get bored of dota, and decide to try something else that might interest them, thats when your maps come into place. They try your map out, they may or may not like it.

Point is, stop bashing a game just because it's popular. If the game sucked, it wouldn't be played by so many people.

And if it does suck, then why don't you make a sucky map and get people to play it, shouldn't be that hard if people only play bad and sucky maps.

Level 8
But why does everyone have to make such a big deal about this anyway, Dota is the reason warcraft 3 battle.net is still alive, the game has been out for a while now any people are still playing.
To be honest, I prefer that dota players get their own official dota ladder server so they can leave other servers in peace. So it doesn't really matter to me that Dota players leave. Both sides benefit from it.

And eventually, people will get bored of dota, and decide to try something else that might interest them, thats when your maps come into place. They try your map out, they may or may not like it.
Yeah, when the Wc3 community gets depleted like Wc2's one.

Point is, stop bashing a game just because it's popular. If the game sucked, it wouldn't be played by so many people.
So you're telling me that anything popular doesn't suck... Okay...
And I don't bash it because it's popular, I bash it because I hate the map, not because it's popular.
And if it does suck, then why don't you make a sucky map and get people to play it, shouldn't be that hard if people only play bad and sucky maps.
Might as well do that, after seeing some stupid footman wars, vampirism or some crappy TD being hosted constantly, why not? Except that most mappers don't want to go back to the basics.

Level 4
To be honest, I prefer that dota players get their own official dota ladder server so they can leave other servers in peace. So it doesn't really matter to me that Dota players leave. Both sides benefit from it.

They do, thats where all the "intellegent players" went, leaving all the idiotic players to stick with the random public games on battle.net

A better idea for us is to just have our own server of "intellegent" people, to host our maps in between, that way we don't have to worry about the less-intellegent public.

But hell, I'm pretty sure we have that too, if you look around.

Yeah, when the Wc3 community gets depleted like Wc2's one.

So then your admitting that when dota lose's its popularity practically everyone on battle.net is going to leave?

Also, warcraft 2 didn't have a flexible editor... So its lifespan was only really as long as ladder lasted... How can you even make a comparison like that?

So you're telling me that anything popular doesn't suck... Okay...
And I don't bash it because it's popular, I bash it because I hate the map, not because it's popular.

Ok, but why exactly do you hate the map? Because it parodies ideas? Because it was built off a premade project? Was it because you don't like how its balanced? Or do you just don't like the AOS genre?

Mainly whats keeping dota's popularity is that its being actively updated and balanced. And I don't care what anyone else says, the game is pretty damn well balanced considering the amount of content it has. If you would actually compare it to the other maps out there. The rare occasion's I play it, I can play any hero and do equally as good as any other hero.

The only reason I could see to hate dota is that it's easy, but does that mean that all easy maps suck? If you hate easy maps then stay away from them, because its bound to have a community that thinks they are great at the game because its so easy to master.

Other than that I don't see a reason to hate dota, but thats my opinion, mainly because no one has convinced me with a good enough reason otherwise. Everyone else's reason, is just their opinions, that don't even have any facts supporting them. I could display facts, but no one would care, they would just state their opinion on the facts.

Afterall I thought everyone's main concern was the dota community, being full of people who think they are the best at games ever because they can win at dota. And yes we all know its full of idiots like this, but those are everywhere, just deal with it.

What upsets me is when I see games with the name "(name here) > dota" then I join the game, expecting to believe them, except I end up playing a game thats attempting to copy exactly what dota is doing except in someone's opinion on how its supposed to work. I don't mind someone trying their best to make another AOS, but immediately claiming that your map is better than dota is just retarded, especially when the maps balance has yet to be worked on, the options are extremely limited, and the pathing for both teams armies has yet to be equally worked out.

I don't mind if the title says "take a break from dota" or "if you like dota, try this" but when you outright try to claim your map is better than another, your only asking for trouble, because that kind of ego only causes people to either stay away, or bring aggressive comments into your game.

On a side note, one of my personal favorite "get away from dota" aos maps has to be Personas, thats a pretty unique idea for an aos map.

Might as well do that, after seeing some stupid footman wars, vampirism or some crappy TD being hosted constantly, why not? Except that most mappers don't want to go back to the basics.

No, but it's important to know the basics. These map genre's are successful because the display a simple approach to what most people on battle.net want. If you want to get a large community, try and make a well made version of one of these maps.

If you wanna be the oddball that has a completely unique map, go ahead give it a shot.

The problem with everyone is that they make a game, thats really interesting to play, but takes patient players who enjoy an epic game. Then they complain that the dota community is what's keeping their game from getting hosted. Ok, if dota wasn't around your map might get noticed on the list more often, but then you'll have people joining your game and complaining that its too slow, the game isn't balanced, or they just outright say they don't like it, then either a big arguement starts or they just leave, probably without even saying a word.

Maps get popular because alot of people want to play them, and if no one has figured this out yet, battle.net is comprised of alot of people who want to play a game that lasts less than an hour at max.

You'll see alot more dotas, tds, and etc, than you will see ORPGS, RPs, DNDs, Risk style maps, Lotr style maps, or any other map that takes alot of time.

Another factor is the host's capable of actually hosting the games, they are what really decide which games even show up on the list.

Dota isn't the problem no one can get their map around. Its people trying to advertise their map in the wrong crowds.
So just deal with it, sometimes you'll get a good crowd to join, sometimes a bad crowd, or sometimes no crowd.

Hell, officially I'm contradicting myself, I'm asking people to just deal with it, but I'm still posting these replies when I should just not bother with the people I'm trying to communicate with. I guess it's just a habit of mine to share my thoughts with others, hoping they will see my point of view.

Last edited:
Level 8
They do, thats where all the "intellegent players" went, leaving all the idiotic players to stick with the random public games on battle.net

A better idea for us is to just have our own server of "intellegent" people, to host our maps in between, that way we don't have to worry about the less-intellegent public.

But hell, I'm pretty sure we have that too, if you look around.
I said official. Not these emulated bnet servers or hamachi. So it must be by Blizzard.

So then your admitting that when dota lose's its popularity practically everyone on battle.net is going to leave?

Also, warcraft 2 didn't have a flexible editor... So its lifespan was only really as long as ladder lasted... How can you even make a comparison like that?
Not everyone. Only the people who play Dota. Wc3 has a more flexible editor than Starcraft and I think Starcraft survives because of the melee mostly and not because of the custom games. And i wasn't comparing but merely giving an example.

Ok, but why exactly do you hate the map?
I already posted my reasons in the stance on dota thread.
And now I think I'm adding a new reason. I'm bored of AoS games. Also, it just pisses me off when I want to play something and I always click on Dota by mistake because of the refresh.

No, but it's important to know the basics. These map genre's are successful because the display a simple approach to what most people on battle.net want. If you want to get a large community, try and make a well made version of one of these maps.
If you wanna be the oddball that has a completely unique map, go ahead give it a shot.
I didn't say that maps shouldn't have basics. They all need it. What I meant that maps should not have basics only, full stop. People who make these maps should extrapolate more on that. It should be deep.

The problem with everyone is that they make a game, thats really interesting to play, but takes patient players who enjoy an epic game. Then they complain that the dota community is what's keeping their game from getting hosted. Ok, if dota wasn't around your map might get noticed on the list more often, but then you'll have people joining your game and complaining that its too slow, the game isn't balanced, or they just outright say they don't like it, then either a big arguement starts or they just leave, probably without even saying a word.

Maps get popular because alot of people want to play them, and if no one has figured this out yet, battle.net is comprised of alot of people who want to play a game that lasts less than an hour at max.

You'll see alot more dotas, tds, and etc, than you will see ORPGS, RPs, DNDs, Risk style maps, Lotr style maps, or any other map that takes alot of time.
I don't see risk maps taking a lot of time nor do they require insane amount of patience to understand.
How about making simple at first, Deep in mid game and at the same time interesting games to play? I know maps already that fit those criterias and yet they are not popular and I also know maps that are NOT INTERESTING and yet they take patience to understand and they are poular. I hate the community in general because they refuse to do the extra step by going on the net and trying to test new maps to play.

Dota isn't the problem no one can get their map around. Its people trying to advertise their map in the wrong crowds.
So just deal with it, sometimes you'll get a good crowd to join, sometimes a bad crowd, or sometimes no crowd.
I never said Dota was the reason why maps are not getting around. I'm not a mapper so I don't even care.

Insanest reply ever :D
Part of it was but the rest was just random babbling imo.

Last edited:
Level 7
Two choices :

You LIKE it
or you HATE it.

It's just a matter of personal opinions and thoughts.

Thats all. I am tired with all these argues and debates.

PS I personally hate DoTA. It ruined WC3 and make every single noob around me/place I live think that DoTA is da game while WC3 is just a expansion of it. Damn.

Level 8
Two choices :

You LIKE it
or you HATE it.

It's just a matter of personal opinions and thoughts.

Thats all. I am tired with all these argues and debates.

PS I personally hate DoTA. It ruined WC3 and make every single noob around me/place I live think that DoTA is da game while WC3 is just a expansion of it. Damn.

That's fucking nasty man. They dare lower wc3 like that? TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND UNFORGIVABLE. These bastards don't deserve to play blizzard games anymore. Let Icefrog and company make their own game using another game engine. Then they can have a cult following.

Level 9
Umm i know how i bought the original WC3 and TFT i bought it just to play DotA on B.net xD.Then i found some other stuff like RP that is much better then DotA.I played Wc3 before i even knew of DotA.

Level 36
I recently played a 2v2 only mid game with some guy. He was storm and I was spirit breaker. First, I almost killed one of the enemy heroes (they had rexxar and tiny, a good combo, with arcane ring for spamming burst damage) and he got away, and my teammate was shouting at me (from the respawn timer) to use charge even though I clearly had no mana. Then he called me a noob and threatened to quit. Of course it's not over, he steals two of my kills and the sentinel steals one of mine, and then I die a few times and he starts calling me a noob again because he is 2 and 2 and I am 0 and 4, but with 4 assists. So then he goes and whines in all chat that his teammate (me) is a total noob and the reason we are losing is because of me and then goes into total scrutiny of every move I make. One time instead of running after an enemy I misclick and run back and then lose the kill, so he bitches at me for that. Then when he runs in against 2 heroes gets stunned and dies instantly, he screams at me for not helping even though there was clearly nothing I could do seeing as I had no time and I was at 200 health. He said that I should've used the fountain to heal but I said I didn't have enough time, and then he whines in all chat again that I don't know that fountains heal and says I ruined the game and we lost because of me. The final score, after he left and I stayed, was him 2 kills 4 deaths 1 assist, me 8 kills 5 deaths 4 assists. What does that tell you?

Anyways the point of that was to say that people like that ruin DotA, a perfectly good and fun game, to most of the battle.net community. Nothing you can do about it either, I think DotA should have a time-ban system for aggravating teammates! ;)

Level 14
I play dota, mostly because I can't host and the custom section is flooded with Dota. So I just decided to start playing dota. I only play with friends though. I can't stand the people who play. They either suck, flame, bitch about it and leave, or are such complete losers that don't do anything but play dota all day and use one hero and never even try any other hero. For those reasons I play either -sdem or -arem.. either way the people are terrible people most of the time and are poor-losers/winners.

Level 7
he steals two of my kills and the sentinel steals one of mine

Kill-stealing,... If someone uses his ultimate, when there's no need, just to get a frag, it could be caled stealing. But You, DotA players, really abuse that term. Isn't this shit a team game? What's the difference, who killed him, isn't the result important? Frags are important in Quake III Arena, lol.

Level 10
Hell yeah thats right. Quake Arena was based on frags. But Dota on the other hand is based for team fight. I find it good that IceFrog made the Assist section. Anyway there are still ksers and many people bitch about getting no kill. This is never going to change as people keep acting like little babies.

I play dota, I love it, nothing more. I'm not a super sonic fan of it. I just play, I count myself as pro. As you already said ~Void~, I hate stupid idiots who act like that. They just blame you all the time while they should blame themselves. But as I said, if people keep acting like that, b.net will never be cleansed from noobs and idiots.

Level 8
Last edited:
Level 7
Someone neg-rep him already >_> Counting the other thread, he's posting like that for like, 5th time? This part of the forum is called WARCRAFT DISCUSSION. DotA is a part of WARCRAFT. That means we can discuss about it. Maybe we should limit it to one thread, but don't tell us what to do or not.

Level 1
I don't hate the game itself, the models are very nice and I've enjoyed it a few times. The old version is also thought out pretty well (I mean the originals, not the .1 update every day/week).

But what pisses me off is that everyone hosts it. There's no chance for newer maps to gain poularity when about 1/2 - 3/4 of all the maps are DotA. Also, the DotA 'community' are all idiots who bought Wc3 just for DotA or are total jack-asses.

Level 1
Dota is a good game. It's actually balanced, but the only reason I don't hate it is because we have an area where non-dota maps are played. 87 Dota Rooms in GGClient to 16 rooms that are not for Dota yet dota somehow still comes up is what I hate about it. I agree with the points that it's what keeps WC3 alive, but the misunderstandings about Dota and WC3 annoy me to hell, since they lower the standard of WC3.

Blizzard should make a separate game for Dota, maybe then some map makers can put out fun games. That are not dota... I just hope it's a fad. A really loong fad that's gonna come to a screeching halt. Though people in my server love Treetag, TTW and Vampirism. I play there since I can't stand how people are in Dota games.

Level 7
Perhaps some time later some one will come out and yell at us

"LEAVE DOTA ALONE!!!11!1!!1!!!!"

crocker-in-britney-clip.jpg

Level 5
The only reason people like dota is because all you have to do is learn which hero is cheap, learn when to buy this stupid item and combine it at the right time to make something else overpowered and do the same thing every time.

Basically any retard with a mouse can play it and if they have a bad memory they can just write down the items to make. You dont need player skill just the knowledge of recipes.

There is NO Skill in that game except for memorizing what items to buy at what time.

Status
Not open for further replies.