• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is wrong with DotA?

Why do you hate DotA?

• I don't hate DotA.

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • I hate the people who play it.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • It's a poorly made map.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • My Narotu map has better spelpax than DotA and I think DotA people should learn to appreciate good s

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • It takes up space on BNET...

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • DoE > DotA -.-

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I've never played DotA actually, but I've got 2 things:
DotA, even though apearently disliked by some, have managed to become quite widespread and since it is aperently still played after so long after it's creation it can't be that bad. Had the map been a pit of brutallity, a beacon drawing out your worst side, (which is the idea I'm getting from most posts) then how did it become such a defining part of the wc3 community
And, if a map is played for as long as DotA have, then people are bound to find all the little things, and big things, that can be complained about. The reason many maps are considered "good" is becuse they aren't played for long enough for the flaws to be found. Sorry if I'm wrong on any point, care to enlighten me on why?
EDIT: After reading through my post I realised how incredibly dumb some of the things I wrote was. Sorry for posting in your otherwise intellectual thread.

Level 34
I've never played DotA actually, but I've got 2 things:
DotA, even though apearently disliked by some, have managed to become quite widespread and since it is aperently still played after so long after it's creation it can't be that bad. Had the map been a pit of brutallity, a beacon drawing out your worst side, (which is the idea I'm getting from most posts) then how did it become such a defining part of the wc3 community
And, if a map is played for as long as DotA have, then people are bound to find all the little things, and big things, that can be complained about. The reason many maps are considered "good" is becuse they aren't played for long enough for the flaws to be found. Sorry if I'm wrong on any point, care to enlighten me on why?
EDIT: After reading through my post I realised how incredibly dumb some of the things I wrote was. Sorry for posting in your otherwise intellectual thread.
I don't think you sounded dumb at all, and you logic is pretty good except that you forget one thing. Battle.Net players don't like balanced fun games. They generally like games where there is an exploit so that they have a huge advantage over new players, and win easily. DotA is pretty balanced as far as I know and so this is off-topic, but I thought I'd point out that "fun" does not always = good on Battle.Net.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The DotA community is just like any other community; about half are okay, while the rest are different levels of bastard. On BNet, the percentage of bastards simply is skyhigh- not only in DotA. Try joining a "Pro -putcolornameorothersillyname- TD!!!" as an average player, you've played it a bit and know siege simply pwns in all TDs, and leak just one unit, that goes all the way to loosing a life for all, and you'll be flamed beyond reckoning before you get kicked.

Also agree with the guy a couple of posts up that fun doesn't necessary equal good and/or balanced when it comes to BNet maps. Like the example I mentioned earlier; Arena; where there most likely is a totally supreme hero and/or item. With a couple of games behind you, you know how to get it and you'll try and get it first. Then you have some minutes of killing and getting flamed before everyone leave- actually a lot of people like that, and those wouldn't like DotA at all.

Level 21
Okay, let me tell you people one thing, DotA is following:

1. Enter a dota site and get some item builds for heroes.
2. Download DotA or you will be flamed or directly kicked for not having the map.
3. Get Flamed as noob and maybe kicked + banned, just because you play not 100% accurately and "feed".
4. You try to enter again a game, but the host is the same as the other game -> kicked.
5. You try to enter a game again and the host is not the same, get flamed as noob because you don't play accurately and get kicked + banned for feeding.
6. Slowly you are annoyed because of those people, then it starts to get a competition, you want to beat them, you practice etc etc.
7. You pawn all other, now you got friends under the dota players, but if you feed again you get kicked and maybe banned.
8. *Brain turns off* you start to think that dota is the only thing important, like many counter strike player think that counter strike is the only game.
9. Because dota is perfect all other maps are shitty, so if I enter a new AoS map I flame that there arent enough items and that the game play is different from DotA, and I start to call AoS maps, DotA maps.

Thats the truth, and thats socially seen unacceptable, beside that the spells of the map are boring, uncreative, badly done etc... And without items you cant win <--- Item dependancy, always bad in a map.

nuff' said.

Level 7
I do not like DotA or any other AoS map because it is an abomination of the Real Time Strategy game Warcraft is supposed to be. The gameplay is boring; you control one hero and maybe a few summoned units, there are no armies, no things to build, no upgrades to research. The game essentially boils down to 'kill enemy, get gold, level up, buy item'. The element of micromanaging is completely lost. In my opinion, Warcraft is suppose to be about building up and managing armies alongside your hero; not making the game all about the heroes and giving control of managing armies to the computer.

On top of that, it has taken over most of Bnet by players who are only interested in this one game. Play the game if you like it, but must you only that game and nothing else? What happened to broadening your horizons?

Not to mention all of the Stop Having Fun Guys who host these games (AR! NO NOOBS! BANLIST! FINAL DESTINATION!). Games are suppose to be fun, not about competitive bullcrap. If you want to prove your salt, host tournaments against eachother or something. You guys hold DotA conventions; it should not be that hard.

DotA players should stop insisting the game is the only reason to play Warcraft, play some other games once in a while, and straighten their attitudes by being a bit more humble and respectful to other gamers within the entire Warcraft community.

Level 12
one thing i have to disagree on is that any AoS in an abonimation of Warcraft

in that case, any TD is that aswell. It is basicly "build towers, kill enemy, get gold, repeat"

and there, you dont even do anything with the tower either, except build mazes(ofcourse all TDs are different, but so are all AoSes)

oh, and one final thing. That is why they are called Custom Games, becouse they are NOT supposed to be like Warcraft 3

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I do not like DotA or any other AoS map because it is an abomination of the Real Time Strategy game Warcraft is supposed to be. The gameplay is boring; you control one hero and maybe a few summoned units, there are no armies, no things to build, no upgrades to research. The game essentially boils down to 'kill enemy, get gold, level up, buy item'. The element of micromanaging is completely lost. In my opinion, Warcraft is suppose to be about building up and managing armies alongside your hero; not making the game all about the heroes and giving control of managing armies to the computer.

On top of that, it has taken over most of Bnet by players who are only interested in this one game. Play the game if you like it, but must you only that game and nothing else? What happened to broadening your horizons?

Not to mention all of the Stop Having Fun Guys who host these games (AR! NO NOOBS! BANLIST! FINAL DESTINATION!). Games are suppose to be fun, not about competitive bullcrap. If you want to prove your salt, host tournaments against eachother or something. You guys hold DotA conventions; it should not be that hard.

DotA players should stop insisting the game is the only reason to play Warcraft, play some other games once in a while, and straighten their attitudes by being a bit more humble and respectful to other gamers within the entire Warcraft community.

So basically, you'd like everyone to be hardcore RTS gamers in WC3- you do realize the Custom Maps part of WC3 pulls in a lot of players than don't love RTS. I am more of a RPG player, and I get trouble with controlling many units at a time- heck I can't even do summons in DotA. Whenever I occasionally play melee, I just make a little army and send them all at one target at once. Or I harass with my hero purely. It's way too busy for me to control lots of units and make them do various things. Would you rather see all people like me quit WarCraft just because we prefer DotA?

Custom Maps is WarCraft's success-element. Take it away and it's not much different from other RTS' like Command & Conquer - apart from the theme of course.

Level 7
So basically, you'd like everyone to be hardcore RTS gamers in WC3- you do realize the Custom Maps part of WC3 pulls in a lot of players than don't love RTS. I am more of a RPG player, and I get trouble with controlling many units at a time- heck I can't even do summons in DotA. Whenever I occasionally play melee, I just make a little army and send them all at one target at once. Or I harass with my hero purely. It's way too busy for me to control lots of units and make them do various things.
My dislike for DotA's style is more about personal preference since I enjoy micro managing. It still irritates me how people forget Warcraft is primarily a Real Time Strategy game and most custom maps seem to dismiss the elements which make up Warcraft - sometimes to the point where you have to ask why they do not buy another game which features that kind of stuff.
Would you rather see all people like me quit WarCraft just because we prefer DotA?
We would be better off if DotA was a separate game from Warcraft at this point.

Level 22
As much as you guys cry about DotA, only an idiot can deny that it is the SOLE reason that Warcraft 3 is still where it is today. 90% of 50% of BNet's Games are DotA, from my observations, and if it were out, we'd go back to the good old "Wait 50 minutes for a game that is fun"
It'll be like the sheep tag era.... ANY game in power will attract people with the DotArd mentality... it's just no stopping it.

Level 8
Personal preference, I don't like the gameplay because items are favoured over anything else. If Dota was more like DoE, I would be more willing to give it a chance.

Dota keeps the Dota community alive, not the rest. That makes BNET still dead in my eyes.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

My dislike for DotA's style is more about personal preference since I enjoy micro managing. It still irritates me how people forget Warcraft is primarily a Real Time Strategy game and most custom maps seem to dismiss the elements which make up Warcraft - sometimes to the point where you have to ask why they do not buy another game which features that kind of stuff.We would be better off if DotA was a separate game from Warcraft at this point.

Even DotA-gamers play a couple of melee games now and then, you'd loose a lot of the activity on melee-games as well, if DotA was separate. Not to mention, DotA alone is not worthy of a full game.

I don't understand why you complain about games you don't like simply because it's not your personal preference. People have to understand that DotA doesn't take up space on BNet, it just fills the gaps.
It's like if I'd start complaining about the most popular RnB artist and say he's bad just becasue I don't like RnB in the first place.

Level 7
No, DotA DOES take up space on Bnet.

You have three two types of players who play custom games on Bnet: Hosts and Lurkers

Hosts will host games they like and most hosts like DotA.
Lurkers will play games which are available because they cannot host.

The result? every time you click 'custom games' you will get a page full of DotA. It is ridiculous! The rest of us are sick of it, and do not care if Bnet becomes an empty void with only a few hundred players instead of a few thousand. I prefer quality over quantity in games. That is not to say DotA is a horrible game; it is just overrated and overplayed. Too many Bnet gamers play this game and dominate the custom games section. If they had a separate game, then the problem is no more and DotA would not be hated as it is.

Last edited:
Level 12

You have three types of players who play custom games on Bnet: Hosts and Lurkers

The result? every time you click 'custom games' you will get a page full of DotA. It is ridiculous! The rest of us are sick of it, and do not care if Bnet becomes an empty void with only a few hundred players instead of a few thousand. I prefer quality over quantity in games. That is not to say DotA is a horrible game; it is just overrated and overplayed. Too many Bnet gamers play this game and dominate the custom games section. If they had a separate game, then the problem is no more and DotA would not be hated as it is.
i count 2 types

oh, and you want quality over quanity ey? well guess what, without the quantity of maps Warcraft 3 once had, none of the truely good maps would ever have been created.

Competition makes Quality
And what competition is tougher than a broad competition?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You have three types of players who play custom games on Bnet: Hosts and Lurkers

I really don't understand you. You rather have minor activity with several hours between each game than lots of DotA-games in between your favourites. It's still be hours between each game, but it'll be DotA there. I can't see the problem at all. I've never bothered that the screen is full of TDs - before DotA got big. I hated TDs, but that didn't bother me at all.

Level 22
Personal preference, I don't like the gameplay because items are favoured over anything else. If Dota was more like DoE, I would be more willing to give it a chance.

Dota keeps the Dota community alive, not the rest. That makes BNET still dead in my eyes.

Wrong.

Not every DotA Player is a Strict DOTARD, and people do get tired of it. Believe it or not, they don't go masturbate until their urge for DotA comes back, They TRY OTHER GAMES. And i know people who have bought WC3 just to play DotA with their friends, and have become semi-intelligent hosts of other games.

Level 8
Wrong.

Not every DotA Player is a Strict DOTARD, and people do get tired of it. Believe it or not, they don't go masturbate until their urge for DotA comes back, They TRY OTHER GAMES. And i know people who have bought WC3 just to play DotA with their friends, and have become semi-intelligent hosts of other games.
That makes BNET still dead in my eyes not just because of Dota, but also because of the other boring games too. I look at the list nowadays, and it's either Dota, or some god awful footie, vampirism or tag. Maybe I'm just fed up with Warcraft 3 or I expect too much from BNET.

Level 15
About the DotA-finder (like the Ladder setup)...IceFrog asked Blizzard to do that as a part of the contract they had (IceFrog paying a shit load of stock and Blizzard can use icons from DotA in WoW) and Blizzard refused, saying that it would never focus BNet soley around DotA.

Level 25
In my opinion all hero defence maps are imbalanced, and that beccause heroes are types:1-front line assault heroes
2-assassin heroes
3-assist heroes
4-spell caster (seconde line assault heroes)
so if 1v1 one choose an assist hero the other choose an asault hero there is no balance
but when playing 5v5 there is balance but the probleme is the players skills
thats the probleme in dota and all other hero defence maps
so dota chould put in hero description if the hero is an assist, a spell caster...

that's just my opinion i dont say that it must be true

by the way what linaze said is true i only play dota with friends, once a week i play dota in a local network with 9 of my friends, i tried to play online, and then i discovered why people hate it

Level 24
Another Dota thread,do you guys ever get tired of this?

Must I show this again?
586-dota-mode-addiction-lot-teenagers-spend-their-time-front-their-computers-play-what-considered-one-most-popular-games-romania-its-time-children-super-heroes-defense-ancients-dota-played-some-years-gained-massive-number-adepts-fact-game-represents-scenario-based-game-called-warcraft-iii-frozen-throne-goal-conquering-your-enemy-camp-more-precise-destroy-their-monument-guarded-towers-how-played-there-two-teams-each-situated-other-corner-map-these-teams-can-composed-many-heroes-until-team-5-these-heroes-can-have-affiliation-one-two-races-hero-primal-tool-your-control-him-you-must-destroy-your-enemy-camp-there-also-creeps-main-resistance-each-team-they-controlled-ai-artificial-inteligence-they-support-you-achieve-your-goal-since-its-rpg-role-play-game-gives-you-possibility-level-your-hero-gain-powerfull-tools-known-items-they-raise-your-strength-agility-inteligence-primary-stat-your-hero-these-things-cost-some-money-so-you-have-destroy-some-enemys-there-lot-heroes-each-has-its-own-ace-power-you-must-adapt-your-hero-evolution-game-but-according-your-evolving-enemy-can-more-powerfull-than-you-dota-creates-addiction-since-all-teenagers-play-dota-lot-forums-treat-dota-database-tutorials-teach-you-how-evolve-your-hero-how-more-powerfull-how-overcome-your-enemy-if-you-interested-new-versions-you-can-easily-download-but-there-some-forums-treat-dota-joke-example-there-forum-has-77-ways-figure-out-you-dota-freak-personally-i-didnt-saw-dota-addictive-dangerous-thats-cause-i-look-beyond-circle-but-regarding-jokes-there-some-kids-spend-even-12-hours-per-day-dota-thats-problem-translate-romanian-english-personally-dota-threat-i-play-but-only-2-3-matches-i-get-borred-so-what-do-you-consider-dota-danger-addiction-fun-joy.jpg

And the translation:

''DotA - mode or addiction?

A lot of teenagers spend their time in front of their computers to play what is considered one of the most popular games in Romania.It's time for children to be super heroes?

Defense of the Ancients or DotA is played for some years and gained a massive number of ''adepts''.In fact the game represents a scenario based on the game called Warcraft III:The Frozen Throne , the goal is that of conquering your enemy camp and more precise,to destroy their monument guarded by towers.

How is it played?

There are two teams,each situated in the other corner of the map,these teams can be composed of many heroes until a team of 5.These heroes can have an affiliation to one of the two races.The hero is the primal ''Tool'' of your control,with him you must destroy your enemy camp.There are also creeps that are the main resistance of each team,they are controlled by AI(Artificial Inteligence).They support you to achieve your goal.

Since it's a RPG (Role Play Game) it gives you the possibility to level your hero and gain powerfull tools known as items.They raise your strength ,agility and inteligence which are a primary stat of your hero.

These things cost some money,so you have to destroy some enemy's.There are a lot of heroes ,each has its own Ace and Power.You must adapt your hero to the evolution of the game,but according to your evolving enemy,which can be more powerfull than you.

Dota creates addiction

Since all the teenagers play DotA,a lot of forums treat DotA as a database of tutorials,to teach you how to evolve your hero,how to be more powerfull and how to overcome your enemy.If you are interested in new versions,you can easily download it.

But there are some forums that treat DotA as a joke,for example there is a forum that has a ''77 ways to figure out that you are a DotA freak''.Personally ,I didnt saw DotA as addictive or dangerous,thats cause I look beyond the circle.

But regarding jokes,there are some kids that spend even 12 hours per day with DotA and thats a problem''

Danger ,Addiction or Fun and Joy?

I play it for the brutal joy,I play it since it was a baby Defense of The Ancients by Team TDA,Guinsoo ,Eul and Kaye.

Not Ice Frog,who stole the map,advertised it,got friend with BassHunter and made it famous as a game!

Also,Ice's plans are to make a game : Fire and Ice!

Overall,the map is very good,but it's just a map,not a game,a map,a slave to warcraft 3.

People hardly understand that!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

In my opinion all hero defence maps are imbalanced, and that beccause heroes are types:1-front line assault heroes
2-assassin heroes
3-assist heroes
4-spell caster (seconde line assault heroes)
so if 1v1 one choose an assist hero the other choose an asault hero there is no balance
but when playing 5v5 there is balance but the probleme is the players skills
thats the probleme in dota and all other hero defence maps
so dota chould put in hero description if the hero is an assist, a spell caster...

that's just my opinion i dont say that it must be true

by the way what linaze said is true i only play dota with friends, once a week i play dota in a local network with 9 of my friends, i tried to play online, and then i discovered why people hate it

There is- DotA-Allstars.com - Welcome
Anyway that was sort of off-topic.

They could probably make a filter to filtrate out DotA for all you DotA-haters. If there ain't already one, never tried the filter. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.