• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

What is wrong with DotA?

Why do you hate DotA?

• I don't hate DotA.

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • I hate the people who play it.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • It's a poorly made map.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • My Narotu map has better spelpax than DotA and I think DotA people should learn to appreciate good s

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • It takes up space on BNET...

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • DoE > DotA -.-

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Nah I'm on the Northrend (Europe) Server... I saw loads of DotA today on there...
I think Blizzard should at least sepearate the normal games from DotA, so its easier to find games to actually play...

When I last went on B.NET for days in a row (last year some time), there were barely any DotA games (hence, I didn't see em)...

Level 24
80% of the DotA clans are like made with random people that the maker found with game called "JOIN NEW DOTA CLAN!!!!!" so most of the clans just really suck... And they seem to whine more than public DotA players when they get killed / ganked etc and they aren't very challenging tbh

Level 3
I like DotA, its fun to play once and a while but i don't like it because people play it too god damn much. Why don't they take a break and play something besides DotA? Like a RPG, or a defense game. I can't get one list without at least 5 DotA games in it

Level 5
The best thing about DotA is that it ISNT balanced, but there's nothing that's overpowered either.

nuff said...

Why would you play an uberbalanced game?

And how would you make an uberbalanced game out of dotA???? That's why there are synergies and cooperation; to outsmart stronger enemies with your strategies and that's what makes dota fun, "You need strategy".

And for those who would be flaming me like "Since when agility heroes require strategy noob!" Get a life.. How would you get into an opponent hero when you have no single strategy? How would you be able think of how would you kill 2 heroes at once? =D

Level 15
Agility heroes are good late game when they can farm enough items for MKB, Butterfly, Buriza, etc. But early game is dominated by Intelligence heroes. If an Int hero can farm Aghanims before an Agi hero can get Eaglehorn, gg no rm.

So no, Agi heroes aren't completely rigged.

Level 15
Anime maps are good if they're made correctly and triggered well. So, basically 99% of them suck. There's been some good ones from time to time, like Anime Fight. Anime Fight didn't have any custom models and it had like 6 taverns of heroes from loads of anime to pick from. Mostly nothing but custom spells and it was well-balanced. Just leaked like a piece of shit, lol.

Anime maps are good if they're made correctly and triggered well. So, basically 99% of them suck. There's been some good ones from time to time, like Anime Fight. Anime Fight didn't have any custom models and it had like 6 taverns of heroes from loads of anime to pick from. Mostly nothing but custom spells and it was well-balanced. Just leaked like a piece of shit, lol.

some anime maps are good, actually like 2 or 3. I don't agree Anime fight is balanced I think it's a game so imbalanced that it's fun because people learn to exploit them. If you don't believe me, then learn to Master "Vash", used by a skilled player, he's rigged to hell. X is also rigged.

Anyways back to Topic, I like Dota as a good made map, but I don't really like to play it much, mainly because it's just not my type of game. I prefer big army games(Melee, Conquest, and Diplomacy), which (in my opinion) take TRUE skill. Lets face it in Dota you don't Micro, nor Macro, you only use ganging, ambushes and knowledge, there's no true skill but a bit of skill, strategy and a lot of experience.

Level 7
I hate the people that plays it - Not all of them ofc. just the ones that complains all the time :p

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

DotA > Everything else in WarCraft III
DotA is simply the reason I keep WC3.

People that haven't played it a while won't like it, simply because it takes skill.
Play DotA for a year, trying to get better at it - you won't quit unless something in RL comes up. Sure you might take some pauses, but you'll come back. I've played DotA for 4 years now, and there's no stopping me yet. ^^

Short; I don't hate DotA

Level 5
i play dota for pure fun, i dont care who wins. I hate the fact that there is no other game but dota, the community sucks, and whenever i host anything thats not dota, people join, say WTF is this sh*ty paece of cr*p, haost dota u n0ob!1!1! (yes ive had people who have the ones behind it, and the ones that have the spelling problem) I would play it alot more often if the bloody community would cheer up a bit, and not go berserk whenever some1 does something wrong like die, or buy an item (No u noobs thats like not what (Hero) needs! get his This Items u noobs!. OMFG im playing wiht non-pros, i quit!). Another thing is leavers, our team had 2 leavers on it, as soon as the third tower on some lane was gone, then, the last 3 of us, held off 5 people and managed to beat back the waves, only for the host to quit as soon as we got one of thier third towers.

People need to stop hosting dota so other smaller games can be played (I never see Vamp anymore)
DotA needs a friendlier community
DotA needs to rely more on Hero Skills and not Items
DotA needs to be killed off, and if Icefrog makes something like dota appears on SCII...

Edit: DotA is lacking in the Skill sector, the most skillful thing in dota is the Hotkeys, and for the players to remember what they are (Thats hard when ure as smart as a 3yr old.)

Level 10
People need to stop hosting dota so other smaller games can be played (I never see Vamp anymore)
DotA needs to be killed off, and if Icefrog makes something like dota appears on SCII...

Edit: DotA is lacking in the Skill sector, the most skillful thing in dota is the Hotkeys, and for the players to remember what they are (Thats hard when ure as smart as a 3yr old.)

I see Vamp all the time...
I agree
It's a partially amount of both, it's more of a common sense game. Game is very well balanced in all aspects, no hero is rigged enough that every other hero can kill it just as easily it would to it. Same for items.
Well if he made one for SCII, the name would be most likely diffrent. If your asking DotA to be killed off, why dont you make some awesome game that will be more popular than DotA. Besides it's a fun game.

Whats with that edit part? Hotkeys are the most skillfull? It's used in almost every damn game. Sheep, Vamp, RPGs, RPs, Tower Defense, Stay Alive...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

i play dota for pure fun, i dont care who wins. I hate the fact that there is no other game but dota, the community sucks, and whenever i host anything thats not dota, people join, say WTF is this sh*ty paece of cr*p, haost dota u n0ob!1!1! (yes ive had people who have the ones behind it, and the ones that have the spelling problem) I would play it alot more often if the bloody community would cheer up a bit, and not go berserk whenever some1 does something wrong like die, or buy an item (No u noobs thats like not what (Hero) needs! get his This Items u noobs!. OMFG im playing wiht non-pros, i quit!). Another thing is leavers, our team had 2 leavers on it, as soon as the third tower on some lane was gone, then, the last 3 of us, held off 5 people and managed to beat back the waves, only for the host to quit as soon as we got one of thier third towers.

You're throwing out accusations without the necessary experience. DotA is one of the few BNet games that actually takes skill to play. It has nothing to do with what items and hero you are, but rather how you play. Of course, there are some guidelines. For example, an intelligence hero- usually equipped with Nuke-abilities (e.g. high damage, and often short cooldown)- is better of with mana regeneration, support spells and generally increase of HP and mana (all these things are items). On the other hand, this build only works while all heroes are low levels - so-called 'early game' - while later, strength heroes will have to much HP, and agility heroes will have means to get away or simply be quick enough to kill you before you can throw all your abilities. Then you could simply build different items, so that you stand a chance without your abilities, of course then you're dependant on playing well. A beginner couldn't build a combat Tinker and be successful.

Basically, the item and hero determines the playing style roughly, and some heroes are better early and some late, while some are balanced all over and some are best in the middle. Though, it always falls backs to each individuals skill in playing the game, reading others actions and playing well together as a TEAM.

Skill and teamwork is what DotA is about. Not items and flaming - that's the beginner-community. Once you get into DotA you'll meet lots of people that aren't like that, thing is they don't play on BNet- simply because of leavers and beginners. Get skill, discover new arenas then come back here and tell me what you think about DotA.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The map by itself is perfectly fine and a good example of a map (well the support that should be given to one by the maker).

The players however are too competitive and not kind enough. This overall makes it stressful to play and not enjoyable.

It is also too commonly hosted, it is boring seeing lists of almost all dota.

However if there was no DotA, WC3 would have even fewer players as many are only staying with WC3 for that one map. Thus any critisim of it stoping creativity by stealing players who would play other maps is total BS as the same ammount of people would play other maps wether or not DotA existed.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I always thought the think in DotA that took the most skill was lane control. If you can't last-hit how do you get gold?!

There is a small income all the time, 1g per sec. And you get 200g for every time your allies (including creeps and heroes) kill an enemy tower. In -em you get even more gold without doing anything. Anyway, yeah one of the things in DotA that takes skill is last-hitting, both getting gold yourself by killing enemy creeps and preventing the enemy from getting gold by killing friendly creeps (denying).
It's also important not to attack enemy creeps all the time, in order to pull the enemy heroes closer to your tower, thus having an advantage.

But it also takes skill to play all heroes the right way. Some are meant to initiate a fight, so you have to know how you do it. Also, getting away from an enemy hero can be done even if the other hero is faster and got stuns- another thing that needs skill. Mind games, there's a lot of it.

The common idea among new players is often that a few heroes are really imba, and no matter how they are played, they will win. One of these is Rikimaru (Stealth Assassin), but if you visit a game with experienced players, you'll see that Riki really has a hard time often. You can't just hurry up and pick Riki and you saved the day.

Level 5
However if there was no DotA, WC3 would have even fewer players as many are only staying with WC3 for that one map.... play other maps is total BS as the same ammount of people would play other maps wether or not DotA existed.

Even if there was no dota, another game would have its spot. It would be the most successful, and the title of this Topic, would be "Whats wrong with Whatever"

Yea, i know, dota has skill involved, just in my larger post, i had just finished a game of it, and i was rather angry at the host for quitting. Another thing is, dota can get repetitive. It would be pretty neat if the forests had like 6 preset layouts for each section.

The players is what I hate but, I like sand king, neway, one of the enemy heros had me almost dead, and then a ally came along and stunned him, I got the enemy down to like half, and I let my ally kill him and i went and killed the creep waves, well, sand king has that damage thingo, when he kills a unit, the others take damage, yea, it hit the hero, killing him, then my ally who saved me, flamed me for like 10mins then left the game.. most of the players are like this, however you do get the good games where people have some respect.

Aside from the community, the over-hosting, and dota itself, its not a bad game, quite average. I will leave my post up 2 posts ago, but i was angry when i typed it..

Level 10
Pretty much all of the above, the community is the worst I have ever seen in any game ever, the gameplay is pathetically average, the balance is laughable, it's huge arse blocks everything else on the games list...

It's a game I might have considered playing once and then letting it rot in my Download folder for eternity if not for how it's killing WCIII. I would no longer let such a thing defile my computer. :p

Level 13
DotA > Everything else in WarCraft III
DotA is simply the reason I keep WC3.

People that haven't played it a while won't like it, simply because it takes skill.
Play DotA for a year, trying to get better at it - you won't quit unless something in RL comes up. Sure you might take some pauses, but you'll come back. I've played DotA for 4 years now, and there's no stopping me yet. ^^

Short; I don't hate DotA

you know what ? you are a moron

Level 10
Lets face it in Dota you don't Micro, nor Macro, you only use ganging, ambushes and knowledge, there's no true skill but a bit of skill, strategy and a lot of experience.

I disagree with you. Skill is something very important in DotA. Map controling, tricking etc. Orientation in teamfights. Yes, you must know much to be good, but you need skill aswell.

Level 10
DotA is boring. Yes. All you do are 4 things:
1.Buy items
2.Fight with creeps
3.Fight with Heroes
4.Kill Roshan

Else? Nothing....
Boring...and what? Because it has 92 heroes? Oh man , you can make a map wiith even 700 heroes if you don't care about zise.

Down with DotA! :thumbs_down:

Yeah I can say it about all maps .. but sometime you just only build building and sometimes fight with heroes..

Level 12
I'm pretty sure that means alot from a gay rapper wannabe who can't even speak English.
wow, im just so amazed by this post

2 posts, and yet you have archieved the following:
- Flaming
- Not being ontopic
- Apparently knowing who Statsman is

DotA is boring. Yes. All you do are 4 things:
1.Buy items
2.Fight with creeps
3.Fight with Heroes
4.Kill Roshan

Else? Nothing....
Boring...and what? Because it has 92 heroes? Oh man , you can make a map wiith even 700 heroes if you don't care about zise.

Down with DotA! :thumbs_down:
you havent played that much dota on higher levels have you? Do you think SK-gaming goes for that formula? hmm? okay, maybe MyM then?

Im gonna go ahead and say it goes something like this:
1. Pick heroes
-a. Anti-Pick enemy heroes
-b. Pick heroes with good synergy
2. Buy starting items
3. Harass(not by words, but by attacking the enemy hero and such)
4. Deny creep(and last hit enemy creeps)
5. Comunicate with teammates
-a. So your enemies wont wtfpwn you
-b. So you can wtfpwn your enemies
6. Farm for those who can or should
7. Buy better items and items that have good synergy
8. Kill heroes
9. Go for base(or Kill roshan)
10. Final stage
-a. Defend your base and go back to #8 afterwards
-b. "Finish the fight"

Its like saying Gem TD is all about being lucky and getting the right towers. Its much more deeper than that if you want to actually play the game as it should be played

Oh, and finally, one of the main reasons i like DotA more than many other AoSes that are considered "the best" is becouse there is so much variety between the heroes. Id rather have 90 heroes with an somewhat small imbalanced gameplay wise than 20 heroes with a somewhat balanced gameplay(becouse non of the current "famous" AoSes are close to flawless balance-wise)

Level 5
Im gonna go ahead and say it goes something like this:
1. Pick heroes
2. Buy starting items
8. Kill heroes
10. Final stage
-b. "Finish the fight"

Bwahaha, dude, its hard to get up to 'league level or what ever they have when your "teammates" flame you, run in suicide or quit when they feel they are losing. Your teammates don't pick heroes that have synergy with yours, simply because they are stubborn, hell, everyone just goes bout their way, attempting to 1v1 heroes, with the occasional get the lv 25 guy (which fails cause they still go their own way). Usually the winner is the team who gets first blood (FB) (In all my games I can remember, the team which got FB won, i thought that was a bit strange). Everyone in the defending team leaves as soon as 10-a is done, thinking there is no hope for the team (Im just going to call it a group of players now). People would think that this stuff would deter players, but it doesn't because they are stuck up bastards.

In my Country, Indonesia. If you say warcraft, much people always think about DotA. That so.....sucks!. Even that, i like playing DotA. DotA is good but sometime boring.

Hah, you think that is bad, when i first showed my friends W3, they thought Dota WAS warcraft, they dont even know how to play normal W3...

Why is DotA so popular anyway?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

1. Pick heroes
2. Buy starting items
8. Kill heroes
10. Final stage
-b. "Finish the fight"

Its like saying Gem TD is all about being lucky and getting the right towers. Its much more deeper than that if you want to actually play the game as it should be played

Agreed, and if you'd add all the aspects of killing heroes, or preventing getting killed and also how much it takes to succeed when both teams are experienced and know each other- you'd prove that DotA is a game with much more meaning than any other WC3 game I've seen.

To people who dislike DotA; what game DO you like then? TD (is that deep?), Arenas (wow is there even one Arena without some kind of God-hero so that the first who gets it wins?) .. there's a lot more, but few that actually is made to compete in. They are either several hours long, or really short. Of course, some mini-games are fun, but it's not competitive. There's melee, and there's DotA. The rest isn't serious, competitive maps. And for what other reason than compete with someone would you play?

Level 2
I have to agree with everyone else i hate the people who play it. plus whenever i do play it i absolutly suck and everyone bitches at me

Level 12
Bwahaha, dude, its hard to get up to 'league level or what ever they have when your "teammates" flame you, run in suicide or quit when they feel they are losing. Your teammates don't pick heroes that have synergy with yours, simply because they are stubborn, hell, everyone just goes bout their way, attempting to 1v1 heroes, with the occasional get the lv 25 guy (which fails cause they still go their own way). Usually the winner is the team who gets first blood (FB) (In all my games I can remember, the team which got FB won, i thought that was a bit strange). Everyone in the defending team leaves as soon as 10-a is done, thinking there is no hope for the team (Im just going to call it a group of players now). People would think that this stuff would deter players, but it doesn't because they are stuck up bastards.
this is why you dont play "pubs" when you play dota

Status
Not open for further replies.